Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

EC Comics was once told by the censors to change a black astronaut to a white one and their response was "gently caress you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

MrTuffPaws posted:

That was incredible. I'm surprised it made it past the censors back then.

See, the thing is, there weren't any censors back then. The Comics Code Authority, an industry board that regulated comic books for decades, came about as a direct result of what EC was doing at the time.

Arguments over "Are comic books just for kids?" are not a new thing. Take a look at the wikipedia page for Shock SuspenStories, the comic that the story I posted came from. Read through the story synopses they list. Here's a few of my favorites:

"A mob whipped up by anti-communist sentiment beats to death a blind war vet when he doesn't doff his hat to the flag during a parade."

"A trapper moves a rival's trap hoping the man will step in it and die so that he can take over his territory. He does step in it, but his desire for revenge is so strong that he chews through his own ankle in order to kill the guilty party before he expires."

"A reporter is a witness to the K.K.K. murder a young woman by flogging for consorting with blacks. The Grand Dragon removes his hood to make sure she's dead. The reporter makes a sound and the hooded men catch up with him. They give him a solid beating, but he denies seeing anyone's face because he knows they'll kill him if they suspect. He comes to in what looks like a hospital room. Two men who claim to be F.B.I. and a doctor are present. They ask him why he was beaten by the hooded men. He tells them he can identify their leader. The Grand Dragon steps out from behind a screen and says "That's all I wanted to know." The fake F.B.I. men and the doctor empty their revolvers into the reporter."

"A mob beat a vagrant to death for the rape of a sixteen year old girl that the town sheriff has been violating."

"A farmer tries to molest a retarded girl he keeps to work on the farm as a servant. She tells him that she's got a boyfriend that she sees in the evening. She goes out into the field to the scarecrow. The farmer gets the idea of disguising himself as the scarecrow so he can get what he wants from the girl. The farmer's wife is awakened by the sound of their love-making and goes out to the field with a pitchfork. When the girl tells the wife about her boyfriend, the wife tries to demonstrate to her that it's only straw by repeatedly stabbing the scarecrow with the pitchfork."

Pretty heavy stuff! Unfortunately, cries of moral indignation and concern for "the children" would set comics as a storytelling medium back by decades.

EC's publisher, William Gaines, was all about pushing the envelope and putting out the best stories he could, regardless of their reception. In the 50's, that meant he was riding a surge of popularity as the Golden Age of superheroes waned and audiences sought out new genres like horror, suspense, and sci-fi. When psychiatrist Fredric Wertham published his book Seduction of the Innocent about the effects of comics on juvenile minds, popular outcry against comic books culminated in a Congressional Inquiry. Other publishers such as DC and Timely (later to become Marvel) were all too happy to throw EC under the bus in order to take back lost market share.

The self-imposed Comics Code that resulted completely gutted EC's lineup. Among other things, there were explicit bans of all types of classic monsters (vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc.), which killed the horror titles. Then there were rules which prevented showing criminals getting away with their crimes, which ruined most of the crime and suspense lines.

After a couple of years trying to work within the guidelines, having already shut down many of his most popular titles, Gaines simply couldn't put up with the restrictions anymore. He took the comic he thought had the best chance of surviving the transition and turned it into a magazine because gently caress you, there's no Magazine Code Authority, that's why. In a classic example of good triumphing over evil, his magazine survives to this day. Gaines earned millions from his decision and personally ran the magazine for decades right up until his death. And now you know... the rest of the story.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

See, the thing is, there weren't any censors back then. The Comics Code Authority, an industry board that regulated comic books for decades, came about as a direct result of what EC was doing at the time.

Arguments over "Are comic books just for kids?" are not a new thing. Take a look at the wikipedia page for Shock SuspenStories, the comic that the story I posted came from. Read through the story synopses they list. Here's a few of my favorites:

I was a big fan of their war-themed comics because they not only told the heroics and valor of combat but also the suffering and pain caused by it. There's a great WW1 one where the British flying corps is treating their encounters with a German flying circus as a gentlemanly game in all this carnage, up until the new commander has them fly over a trench that the same Germans are aerial bombing and the whole squadron flies into them in a gun-blazing rage. Another (based actually off of H.S. Wong's "Bloody Saturday" in WW2 Shanghai) was about a Korean child being raised in Seoul, who is orphaned at the end of the story by the North Korean invasion during the Korean War.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Well, I was trying to get another Joe issue posted tonight, but imgur is being a butt.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Dammit. I love this thread and everything in it

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Those are some of the less insane plots, it seems.

How is Hollywood stuck in a loop of Marvel/DC when they could make movies with plots like:

The Rug posted:

A grizzly skins a hunter and makes a rug out of him.

Gee...Dad, It's a Daisy! posted:

Space explorers land on a planet of intelligent carnivorous plants and fall victim to a demonstration of "She loves me...She loves me not..."

quote:

A broadcast technician falls in love with a woman whose transmission he picks up from another planet. She comes to him in a rocketship, but she stands about 200 feet high.

COMEDY ENSUES

I'd play this video game:

quote:

This story postulates that a small government agency responsible for ferreting out Martian infiltrators is completely infested with Martian infiltrators except for a sole human whom they gun down.

I'd watch Leo Dicaprio be a robot.

Strictly Business posted:

In the future marriage licenses must be renewed every three years. A man pays a woman thirty thousand dollars to be his wife for three years, but no sex. She agrees and over time falls in love with him. At the end of the three years she tells him that she'll claim she's expecting a child and the license will automatically renewal. He tells her that she could not be expecting a child and reveals he is a robot and that he only wanted a wife during the past three years for crucial business negotiation appearances.

This is some Edgar Allen Poe poo poo right here posted:

When a lumberjack boss blinds a young worker by hitting him in the head with a rock, the other lumberjacks gag him and stuff him in a hollow log for the blind boy to practice chopping through.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Propagandalf posted:

This is some Edgar Allen Poe poo poo right here posted:

When a lumberjack boss blinds a young worker by hitting him in the head with a rock, the other lumberjacks gag him and stuff him in a hollow log for the blind boy to practice chopping through.

Hmmm...I remember this from somewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFlAO2qRgkc

Actually, having a look through the wikipedia list linked earlier brought up more than a couple that seemed very familiar as well. Turns out they adapted a whole bunch of them for the show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tales_from_the_Crypt_episodes.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

foozwak posted:

Actually, having a look through the wikipedia list linked earlier brought up more than a couple that seemed very familiar as well. Turns out they adapted a whole bunch of them for the show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tales_from_the_Crypt_episodes.

Tales from the Crypt was the flagship of EC's horror line and one of the victims of the Comics Code. It's revival as a TV series 30 years later stands testament to the strength of the stories within.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

This right here, this was the most cherished of all of my comics as a kid. Just so drat bad-rear end...

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

stealie72 posted:

The comic started in 1982. The show was 85-86. And cobra commander wore the hood and the helmet interchangeably in the comic, and I think to a lesser degree on the show.

Late to the party, what else is new.
The show had a few episodes where CC wore the hood, mostly seemed to be the R & R thing while his working side wore the mask/helmet.

the cartoon show always made me laugh, the elitest force in the world with a worse hit rate than stormtroopers from Star Wars

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 5, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

So anyway, where was I now...?

Oh, right. ZARTAN!!!

The Joes deposit Storm Shadow into a solitary cell, but the ninja seems confident he won't be there long. Roadblock hopes that Storm Shadow does try to escape, since he's itching for more payback after what happened to Gung-Ho.

Back in the Florida Everglades, Cobra Commander and his newly reunited command staff (Well, except for Major Bludd. He's in a dungeon beneath Springfield.) are paying a visit to the remote shack which houses Cobra Commander's newest ally.

Destro is not impressed with Zartan's domicile, but anyone who knows Zartan should know that looks can be deceiving.

While Cobra is getting acquainted, the Joes are prepping for a mission, and Zap reuses a joke from makes a subtle reference to issue 1.

Yep, more new Joes. Here's Mutt and his dog Junkyard in action.

The chopper teams prep for insertion and Deep-Six gets his S.H.A.R.C. (Submersible High-speed Attack and Reconnaissance Craft) ready for action.

True to form, Snake Eyes disappears without answering any questions. Gung-Ho contacts Hawk back at the Pit to pass along his discovery.

Duke doesn't seem too worried, but assures Hawk that he'll check up on the cell. Back in Florida...

Man, that's one well-trained dog. Let's see what Cobra's up to, shall we?

Ah yes, the old "Plant a tracker on the ninja assassin's sword but then he discovers it and sends it FedEx to a master of disguise hiding in a shack in the Florida swamp" ploy. I never get tired of that one.

Zartan seems eager to get acquainted with Firefly, but it's mostly just an excuse to show off his cool party trick.

The Dreadnoks pick up the incoming choppers on radar, so Firefly and Wild Weasel are sent out in the Cobra airboat to redeem themselves by dealing with the intruders. They catch up shortly after the ground team has been dropped off.

Wild Bill's chopper takes some damage, which allows the Cobras to get the drop on him, but the Joes' backup arrives just in time.

Deep-Six takes some fire, but nothing fazes him.

A flying submarine? poo poo yeah you wanna buy one (retail price $6.49).

On Alcatraz, the Joes looking in on Storm Shadow find a seemingly empty cell. A followup on that will have to wait because the Cobra setback has set them to the customary game of finger-pointing and blame-shifting. The Baroness questions Zartan's loyalty and capability while Cobra Commander fires back in kind.

As Mutt and Torpedo search the swamp, Junkyard suddenly takes off like a shot. They attempt to follow discreetly to see what he found.

Speaking of finding things, Duke and Roadblock find Storm Shadow's cell to be...

Back in the 'glades, the ground team find what had Junkyard so worked up.

The recon team can't exactly do their job while keeping an eye on prisoners, so they're left with one option.

What? No, not , you sick fucks. These are the good guys. They tie the Cobras to a tree for pickup on their way out. As they're handling this, Junkyard takes off on his own again.

The insertion vehicles make it back to their ship, and Deep-Six exhibits goon-like levels of social awareness.

Finally, back at Chateau Zartan...

Next issue: If You Don't Buy This Comic, We'll Kill This Dog.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I had all those toys and they all owned.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

I think the GI Joe game you played on a huge square yard playmat with your own action figures was technically my first wargame.

talabama
May 25, 2010

It's been six weeks did they kill the dog?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

No one gives a poo poo about the dog, we want to know what's up with Snake Eyes. Let's Read Issue 26!

Okay, fine, Destro rescues the dog. Are you happy now?

Mind you, the Joes hiding out in the swamp are none too happy about this turn of events.

But let us change our scene far north to Spanish Harlem, and a small Chinese restaurant therein.

So that's where Snake Eyes wandered off to after he left Gung-Ho at the hospital. And since Gung-Ho contacted headquarters about the tattoo that Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow have in common, Hawk has been trying to find any details on its background. Though his search comes up empty, Stalker mentions that he's seen a similar tattoo once before, ten years ago when he led a LRRP team in 'Nam.

The team silently takes out a VC point man, but sees no further enemy contact. They finish their patrol and await extraction.

As the evac chopper comes in, everything seems okay, until...

The chopper crew ignores Stalker and lays down covering fire.

Back in the Everglades, the Joe infiltration team prepares to retreat, as it seems Junkyard is leading Cobra straight to them!

They fall back to the tree where they had left Firefly and Wild Weasel tied up only to find their captives have escaped.

Back in Spanish Harlem, the kindly old shopkeeper reminisces with Snake Eyes.

At the Pit, Hawk picks up the story. Though he didn't know Snake Eyes in the past, he did recall meeting him at one fateful juncture.

Hawk was working a desk job at a headquarters office when he got the call to go explain to a soldier why his family wouldn't be picking him up. Turns out he didn't need to say anything.

In his grief, Snake Eyes followed up with his friend Tommy's offer to enroll in the family business.

Well of course they were.

Snake Eyes took to the training naturally and rapidly grew to exceed even the Young Master.

Despite Snake Eyes' mastery of the sword, Tommy still proved better in use of the bow, thanks in part to a technique known as "the ear that sees", which allowed him to detect living beings behind solid barriers.

One evening, as Snake Eyes trained alone with the Hard Master, he was asked if he would be willing to succeed the family business. Snake Eyes deferred in favor of Tommy the Young Master.

Responding to the scene, the Soft Master saw Tommy running through the compound's gate with his bow, but assumed he was in pursuit of the assassin. With his last breath, the Hard Master denied that the Young Master was to blame, despite the evidence of his distinctive arrow.

And, oh yeah, something about a dog...

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

You're back!

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

YAY you're back! This was one of the first issues of GI Joe I picked up and treasured it because of the background info on Snake-Eyes. Even got Larry Hama to sign my copy at a con, dog eared as it was.
Little did I know one day I'd be listening to a CD with two tracks inspired by this issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmczvWRhxbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5xifcL5yPw

I've always hated that first page though because Zartan looks so weird.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Well done! I love how you are presenting the material. Keep up the good work.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Yesssss finally the Ninja Bullshittm!

It's like I'm nine all over again.

mewse
May 2, 2006

*in Louis CK voice* your family, is dead.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

It's been how long since I've posted an update? This simply will not do. Let's Read Issue 27!!!

When last we left off, Cobra's entire high command had just been outsmarted by a dog.

They had been attempting to track down a Joe team, who were in turn in pursuit of their escaped prisoners Wild Weasel and Firefly. Let's see what those guys are up to.

Destro makes use of his wrist rockets to down a nearby tree for everyone to climb out on while Junkyard catches up to the Joes. Rather than stopping, he barrels past them and we hear the *twang* of Firefly's booby-trap...

Back at the Pit, Hawk is continuing the story of how he recruited Snake Eyes, picking up with his formation of the team six years after they last met. On Stalker's recommendation, Hawk tracks Snake Eyes down to a remote mountain shack after tracing his disability checks.

Hawk and Stalker locate Snake Eyes as he's returning home from hunting rabbits... without a gun.

Scarlett picks up the tale next, describing how she was running the Joe team through a hand-to-hand combat course. Most of the guys thought it was a joke, being taught to fight by a girl, so she had to make some examples.

Intrigued, she catches up with him off-duty, and as they talk, Scarlett gets to know the man beneath the hard exterior.

Much later, something was going on in the desert.

Back in the Everglades, Junkyard has set off the tiger trap, but manages to avoid impalement. As the Joes catch up to him, they get the drop on Firefly and Wild Weasel, but the pursuing Cobras get the drop on them and all-out battle ensues.

Present-day Snake Eyes is still at the Soft Master's restaurant in Spanish Harlem, seeking information on the past. The Soft Master explains that though the Hard Master insisted that the Young Master (Storm Shadow) was not his killer, the evidence proves otherwise.

Storm Shadow is naturally able to dodge, because ninja, and he leaps in to take the arrow Soft Master is holding while Snake Eyes reloads. He escapes though the back of the store, but this engagement has drawn police attention.

The fight between the two ninja carries out into the streets.

Now that storytime is over, Scarlett must be bored as hell, because she's apparently scanning the police band for kicks.

As the ninja fight moves to the roof of a moving train, the Joes mount a rapid response.

Yeah, that's a pretty good guess for mid-80s New York.

The VAMP gets held up in traffic, but Wild Bill and Scarlett have a bird's-eye view of the fight... as it's heading for a tunnel!

Snake Eyes tosses his blade away to goad Storm Shadow into an attack.

Storm Shadow throws his knife aside as well and declares that all debts are paid. They are even now. He goes on to tell Snake Eyes that he did not murder the Hard Master, but he caught a glimpse of the one who did: a masked assassin who escaped in a Cobra helicopter. His years of service with Cobra have all been with the aim to earn enough trust to learn the identity of his uncle's true killer and then to have his revenge!

Wild Bill and Scarlett arrive on foot as the train reaches its next station.

Back in the swamp, the Joes have given Cobra the slip. Zartan thinks it's futile to chase them any further, as he's got a better idea: "Time to call out the Drednoks!"

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

The VAMP gets held up in traffic, but Wild Bill and Scarlett have a bird's-eye view of the fight... as it's heading for a tunnel!

New Yorkers must be the laziest people in the world. Look at how slow that train is - Storm Shadow must have about 30 seconds of dialogue there over the space of a couple of carriage lengths in distance. You'd be better off just getting out and walking to your destination.

Also, yay GI Joe thread is back

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Lack of Gravitas posted:

New Yorkers must be the laziest people in the world. Look at how slow that train is - Storm Shadow must have about 30 seconds of dialogue there over the space of a couple of carriage lengths in distance. You'd be better off just getting out and walking to your destination.

They're Ninjas they can communicate super efficiently.

quote:

Also, yay GI Joe thread is back

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

As an adult, this back story seems a little cheesy, but as a kid, this one and the next issue seemed so deep and grown up.

Though, compared to the other superhero poo poo I was reading, they were.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

quote:

Pretty sure that's not how autorotation works.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Sperglord Actual posted:

Pretty sure that's not how autorotation works.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Also on the second read I noticed that the colorist missed the inside of the M16 handles, and it's really bothering me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Also on the second read I noticed that the colorist missed the inside of the M16 handles, and it's really bothering me now.

If you think that is bad, the Zartan issue at the top of the page had disappearing helicopter intakes and winglets.

• Locked thread