Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Ugh, this had to have been done around the same time as that horrible G.I. Joe Extreme series. I'm guessing it was Hasbro searching for something to keep the G.I. Joe line somewhat fresh. IIRC, they even tried to do some G.I. Joe tie-in with the Street Fighter movie around this time.

If the story I was fed is correct, Hasbro was too scared to green light the project because Savage has way too many similarities to Captain America along with the show being "too serious and violent" for children (90s, HAH!). The same team that worked on Savage would later do Extreme in 1995. The thought is the Savage movie was supposed to tie in A Real American Hero and Extreme, but it's obvious that Savage and Extreme are far too different to be similar.

I think one of the reasons why I was never really into GI Joe growing up was because of Extreme. For those of you who haven't watched GI Joe Extreme, consider yourselves lucky. I would have loved the hell out of Sgt. Savage though because I was six years old, couldn't read, and had no idea who Captain America was.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that my first reaction to that is a spergy shudder about how they didn't have chain guns in WW2 and how that P-40's armaments are all kinds of hosed up, or the stone cold certainty I have that my 8 year old self would have been even MORE horrified at the way they hosed up the design.

edit: I mean, seriously, under-wing MGs? On a P40? What do they think it is, a G-model Stuka?

Did you see the Grizzly? It's a Willy jeep with missile launchers!

I wish I could find a picture of the Sherman tank they bust through the wall with because holy crap that's not a Sherman. Savage was was trying to be retro before retro was a thing. Still, nothing about this series is accurate nor original. However, I was six at the time and not a single gently caress was given about accuracy, terrible voice acting, or plot. All I knew was that Savage had a chain gun, could rip robots in half, and popped a basket ball with his bare hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Why on earth would you worry about accuracy in the GI Joe universe.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The VTOL A-10 clone Rattler things were awesome

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

JEEVES420 posted:

Why on earth would you worry about accuracy in the GI Joe universe.

In the first issue, Rock'n'Roll wipes out a platoon of infantry while riding this thing and firing an M-60 one handed.

And this, kids, is why the comic is a million times better than the cartoon.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Can you say "filler episode"? Let's Read Issue #20!

Clutch seems to be pushing the rest of the team pretty hard, but with good reason. This is just a training exercise, and he's got a furlough waiting at the end of it.

He gets dropped off outside Asbury Park, but faces a hike into town.

Kline gives Clutch a tour of his factory and remarks that it could be like old times again, with Billy designing cars and Clutch testing them. When Clutch asks about the door prominently marked "Top Secret", Kline rushes him away and mutters something about government contracts. Billy offers Clutch the use of an apartment in the back of the garage while he's in town.

Later, Clutch decides to take a look around and see if he can't find out anything about that suspicious "Top Secret" area. The door lock is too sophisticated for him to work, but...

Clutch makes quick work of the Cobras by beaning one with a wrench and dropping a car from a hydraulic lift on the others.

Despite having the drop on the Cobras, Clutch is felled by a cheap shot from his pal Billy.

Using the knife, he's able to cut his way free. Despite Cobra remotely cutting the jetpack power, Clutch manages to hotwire it before he crashes and leap to safety over a nearby pond. After escaping, he looks up his old auto shop teacher for assistance.

We soon see the results of Clutch's efforts in the shop.

The auto assault disorients the Cobra guards long enough for Clutch to handle them.

The Joes almost pull off a clean entry, but...

As the Cobra takes off in his jetpack, the wounded Billy reveals that he made a duplicate jetpack that Cobra wasn't aware of. Clutch straps it on and takes off in hot pursuit.

He pulls a risky maneuver by overcharging his pack to catch up to the Cobra trooper, but this causes a flameout.

Clutch makes it back to land to discover that Billy is going to be all right. Elated by Clutch's rescue of his family, Kline offers Clutch his hospitality for the remainder of his furlough, but Clutch seems to have other plans.

Next issue, we've got some new additions to the roster! Whoops, I lied. That's issue after next. Next issue is something special, though.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 24, 2014

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

They don't go into Clutch's 3rd degree burns from using the jet pack?

Kylaer
Aug 3, 2007

Man, Hama really deserves some credit for this. Although this series does have its share of "It's just an extended toy advertisement for little boys" laziness, he (usually) makes it plain to see that he cares about creating something a little more involved than that. When the thread gets to the creation of Serpentor, we'll see him at his best - namely, taking a completely ridiculous concept and turning it into something that the characters can react to realistically, and that the audience therefore can suspend disbelief over.

Seriously, he was handed "This guy is a combination of the greatest military thinkers in history, brought to life by :science: " and he made it work. He made it suitable for children without being childish, and that's a fine line to tread.

Also, Snake Eyes' reaction to Kwinn getting shot

is just perfect. It's hard to express emotion when the character has a mask on and is mute, but this page manages to do it very well, without being overblown. (I know that's the artist, not Hama, but it bears mentioning).

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Serpentor's intro in the comics is pretty awesome. He gives a pretty bad-rear end speech and then takes on the GI:Joe team with his junk hanging out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Goddamn, great thread. I grew up reading these and I still have all my GI Joe's in my parents attic like the manchild that I am

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

This thread is the poo poo. Thanks for doing this.

Now, if someone can do it with the old Marvel Transformers comics, I can die a happier man.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Talmonis posted:

This thread is the poo poo. Thanks for doing this.

Now, if someone can do it with the old Marvel Transformers comics, I can die a happier man.

I distinctly remember there being at least one G.I. Joe/Transformers cross-over arc.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I Demand Food posted:

I distinctly remember there being at least one G.I. Joe/Transformers cross-over arc.
Cobra Commander was definitely in an episode of the last season of Transformers.

Without getting into :filez: territory, is there somewhere we can purchase/download digital copies of these comics?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

:colbert::colbert:

I'd also be interested. I posted this earlier but until this thread I had no idea these were any good at all. I knew the TV show was really, really bad, and figured the comics would be similar. Nope!

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 25, 2014

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Mad Dragon posted:

Cobra Commander was definitely in an episode of the last season of Transformers.

Without getting into :filez: territory, is there somewhere we can purchase/download digital copies of these comics?

I don't know of any non-:filez: ways to do that for the Marvel comics. The IDW comics are apparently available on iTunes though, but those don't count in my mind.

Also, it looks like there were in fact three Marvel G.I. Joe/Transformers crossovers: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/G.I._Joe_crossovers

Oh and to the OP, thank you so much for this thread! Please keep it up! It brings back some really fond (if bitter) memories of the massive G.I. Joe action figure and comic book collection I had as a kid.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

Here ya go. https://www.comixology.com/G-I-Joe-Classics/comics-series/2002

Comixology is AFAIK the best site for legit digital comics currently.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

I Demand Food posted:

Also, it looks like there were in fact three Marvel G.I. Joe/Transformers crossovers: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/G.I._Joe_crossovers

I have the first three Devil's Due miniseries, which I thought were pretty badass. ____Duke_____ opens the Matrix of Leadership at the end of one.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Oh man, I'm so sad I missed getting in on this thread from the start, I grew up reading the comics and ended up with a full collection of them. So if there's any that you need Nipponophile let me know, I'm really looking forward to more.

and this is from last page but...

Crayvex posted:

That's Cobra Commander in his Battle Armor! or Fred depending on if this pre or post civil war

The real Cobra Commander never wore that suit, Fred was buried alive in it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

robziel posted:

Cobra Commander had more style

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

:ssh:

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 30, 2014

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

You should do a Joe Minus Joe version of everything.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

drat, I know Hama turned this bullshit into surprisingly good story telling, but that's really loving sophisticated given the intended audience and purpose.

I honestly can't say if 10 year old me would have had his mind utterly blown by that or thought it was the crappiest comic ever.

Honestly I kind of suspect the latter, but I'd really like to believe the former.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Cyrano4747 posted:

drat, I know Hama turned this bullshit into surprisingly good story telling, but that's really loving sophisticated given the intended audience and purpose.

I honestly can't say if 10 year old me would have had his mind utterly blown by that or thought it was the crappiest comic ever.

Honestly I kind of suspect the latter, but I'd really like to believe the former.

I remember being kind of flabbergasted as a kid, a comic that didn't have words what sort of madness was this? I really just couldn't wrap my head around it. It slowly grew on me and I began to realize that telling a story without words was actually a pretty bad rear end and "grown up" thing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Son of a bitch, I just realized that I'd left a page out somehow. I've edited it back in as page 10, not crucial to the narrative flow, but a nice character bit.

And yes, this was a great piece of storytelling. The first rule of sequential art is "Show, don't tell", and this is that commandment distilled to its core. This issue made such an impact that a few years later, Marvel had a themed month where all of their books followed the wordless format. The month was titled "'Nuff Said" after Stan Lee's famous catchphrase.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 30, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Loved that issue. Snake-eyes' move with catching the sword was the subject of many school yard discussions I tell you what.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

The fifth panel:

it's still funny as gently caress after all these years :ninja:

Can't wait for snake eyes / storm shadow bro team.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

robziel posted:

Oh man, I'm so sad I missed getting in on this thread from the start, I grew up reading the comics and ended up with a full collection of them. So if there's any that you need Nipponophile let me know, I'm really looking forward to more.

and this is from last page but...

Actually he did wear it in one issue. The Commander went to Fred in the first place to build a robotic leg for his son after the destruction of the Pit. Fred put the Commander in the Battle Armor to show off his genius. He also demoed the Cobra Pogo Hopper or some weirdness. It was shortly there after that Fred replaced the Commander.

robziel
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Crayvex posted:

Actually he did wear it in one issue. The Commander went to Fred in the first place to build a robotic leg for his son after the destruction of the Pit. Fred put the Commander in the Battle Armor to show off his genius. He also demoed the Cobra Pogo Hopper or some weirdness. It was shortly there after that Fred replaced the Commander.

Ah drat it, how could I have forgotten that? :cry:

Perhaps I can redeem myself by sharing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdCyXeJf844

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

robziel posted:

I remember being kind of flabbergasted as a kid, a comic that didn't have words what sort of madness was this? I really just couldn't wrap my head around it. It slowly grew on me and I began to realize that telling a story without words was actually a pretty bad rear end and "grown up" thing.
I don't know if I had the same realization, but even my 10 year old self knew that this was really goddamn cool. This (and issues 26 and 27 coming up) remain my favorite moments of the entire series, due to twin obsessions with ninjas and Nam.

And honestly, if it hadn't been for this issue, I probably wouldn't have developed an appreciation for graphic novels and alt comics a bit later in my teen years. It was a completely different way to tell a story and they trusted it to kids, which is pretty drat cool.

edit: One thing I LOVED about GI Joe, that also felt very adult, is that they characters lived in our world. Not a renamed composite of our world like Metropolis or Gotham City, but our actual world. They were grunts in Vietnam who once fought side by side with one of the bad guys. They were mechanics from New Jersey who got their shop teacher to help them build an armored car to take on cobra. Hell, even the amway angle of Cobra was plausible. That was pretty loving mind blowing to a kid. These comics, even in their cheesy moments of contractually inserting goofy toys, are really fairly sophisticated for what they are and who their audience was.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 30, 2014

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

I love how Destro is just chillin' in his castle, playing with some G.I. Joe doll chess pieces like this is a thing grown-ups do.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alone at his computer, playing with an action figure of his waifu? Less grown-up, more manchild.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

WitchFetish posted:

Alone at his computer, playing with an action figure of his waifu? Less grown-up, more manchild.
I can't be the only one who picked up the metaphor of it, can I? Look at the "captured" pieces.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

WitchFetish posted:

I could imagine a certain Spaceballs scene playing out; Destro's voice is kinda similar to Dark Helmet's "helmet" voice.

"Snake Eyes!"
"Yes, it's me! I'm here to save my girlfriend! Hi, Honey!"

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I had a mail order subscription to the comics, and for the life of me, this is the only one that I remember. I'm in my 40's now and I still remember the panels of snake eyes catching the sword vividly. Mind blown.

I remember asking my father were was Springfield after this comic. I wanted to go and see the the town were the Joes were based so bad. The fall of hope when I found out many states have a Springfield.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

infrared35 posted:

On the other hand, Golobulus was the worst action figure ever.

He got a whole lot better when you disassembled his torso and fixed it onto a pair of legs of your choosing.

Smiling Jack posted:

Serpentor's intro in the comics is pretty awesome. He gives a pretty bad-rear end speech and then takes on the GI:Joe team with his junk hanging out.

There was one comic where he tapped into the memories of being a Roman commander, and pondered the origins of modern pizza. That one stuck with me.

5er fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 1, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Laff I remember the pizza one too.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Redacted

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 1, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

According to Asterix comics the Gaul strongholds sure as hell didn't look like that!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Edit: hope it's kosher to post future pages

I'd really rather you didn't.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

What about videos of Snake-Eyes being Snake-Eyes?

http://youtu.be/6PEND04xoHE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Back Hack posted:

What about videos of Snake-Eyes being Snake-Eyes?

http://youtu.be/6PEND04xoHE

There needs to be a second "season" of Resolute. Can we just throw money at Hasbro until it happens?

• Locked thread