Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gils posted:

I find it odd that in all the love Corruptors get, no one ever talks about their best ability- the power to challenge someone to a duel in the Shadow Realm.

Play a cornac. Get the shadowflame tree at 10. Fearscape every boss.
Worm that Walks is immune to your bullshit? He's not immune to demon fire everywhere.

My single win was a cornac corruptor following this slightly dated guide. It doesn't use diseases, so no turbo-ebola, just million damage single target nukes.

Shadowflame is kinda awkward early on because every thing in it is so damned expensive. That and if I want to annihilate a boss I'll start putting points in Catalepsy and don't even have to blow a cat point for it. There's very few things that can survive epidemic->vd->blood spray->catalepsy, and the ones that can won't like it once vimsense and curse of vulnerability get involved.

Hell, if I had a stray cat point later I'd probably just toss it on blood because every skill in that tree scales ridiculously and that guide saying that you can't use blood boil from a distance is a loving idiot or never bothered to put more than one point in it.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Magres posted:

What's the deal with these Elven Cultists chilling next to big obelisks in Reknor, and how likely is it that chopping them up will lead to me dying hilariously?

If you're itching for a fight kill one and only one of them then wait out the timer that comes up. You'll get an achievement and a sweet hat if you win.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Each cultist you kill after the first weakens the boss and the resulting hat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, she tends to either kill you fast or die. If you have much offense she's not that tough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Starslinger from the same addon is loving bullshit and no one should play them. If you insist on trying prepare to be married to the shadow shot key because that's the only skill you have that doesn't break stealth and it's a long way til unseen actions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

I really wish someone was doing an informative video series. If not on the game as a whole then on specific characters. I know the wiki has some guides, but (last I checked, anyway) they were all short and not great and just sort of go "Put points here, not here. Now do this" without getting into the why of it. I want to see someone play, see why things work and why others don't, and how you should tackle things so you don't get overwhelmed.

For instance, no matter what race I use, I can't get a Cursed character above level 10. They're so incredibly weak! They die if a stiff wind kicks up, their attacks do absolutely nothing, their Sustained skills seem to Sustain off of thin air, and I have no idea which generics I need to focus on. Do I put points into Armor Training until I get to Plate? Do I work on maxing Unnatural Body first? Is Thick Skin completely useless or is it worth pumping the points into? 15% is not a large number. What about Combat Accuracy? I don't think I've seen any other class miss hits more than a Cursed character does. But does that matter when their hits are all so flimsy?

Dying constantly as a class leads to getting frustrated, getting frustrated leads to not wanting to play. Mirthless started out explaining things pretty well, but then it devolved into long periods of silence and him getting huffy after dying to stuff he shouldn't have been dying to. Plus he fell off the face of the earth and didn't do very many classes!

tl;dr: Cursed characters are the 98lb weaklings of Eyal. :colbert:

Non-Cornac Cursed is terrible. Put your first cat point in Rampage, max the Rampage skill then put one point in pretty much every other class skill til you get Surge unlocked and max that. Then go back and max the Rampage passives and start putting points in murdervision, blindside, sanctuary, and predator to taste. Generics go in the second skill on Cursed Form and various Combat Training skills (max thick skin, combat accuracy and weapon mastery, get armor mastery to level 3) and put the rest in antimagic and fungus skills once you get those unlocked.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The problem with Reavers is that they give up the Corruptor's best trees for the privilege of getting up in people's faces with no added survivability. You have no crowd control to speak of, you hit for 3-4 different elements on a regular basis and you still have all the Corruptor's cooldown issues because everything in Corruption/Scourge takes forever to cooldown.

You CAN get a goofy build going with staff combat and a pair of short staves so that you might actually have the stats to make the actual spells worth casting but you're probably not going to have the money or the equipment til Dreadfell or so.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 26, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh, actually the dual shortstaff build isn't that goofy because you have no use for mana otherwise and channel staff shoots both staves if you have 2 and doesn't have a cooldown. And then you get your free bonks from corrupted strength. So I'd just about call staff combat a requirement now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh, it doesn't actually shoot both, I just lost track in the rain of numbers. You do still get the blight damage, spellpower and spell crit bonuses from both of them cranking up your damage to stupid levels, at least.

Blunt Thrust, however, does bonk with both staves before getting the free bonks from corrupted strength. Now if only I had a GWF ring.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 26, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eh, they can get pretty close while nuking a whole room. Having bloodspray to get the diseases started makes all the difference. Take the right prodigies and corruptors have a legit chance at killing training dummies.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Corruption/Hexes is a one point wonder tree. I don't think I've ever given it more than the traditional one point in pacification hex, which I then constantly forget I have when I need it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What are the best races for Spooky Psychic Batman?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Give it a couple months and it won't be. It really loving clicks once you get the staves for it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah and AB is a terrible AM for half the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But you don't have to give up heavy armor because you can just use items to get your 2-3 points of armor skill

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeek Mindslayer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If I were to rework grapple I'd make size differences into a modifier on damage/physpower/duration rather than completely shutting you down for being too small to grab on to the dragon. Nasty hobbitses still wouldn't want to chokeslam people but at least they'd have the option.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, I meant for the generic grabs in the current tree. A bigger meatshield might be tougher and more likely to block an attack but its also going to have an easier time getting away from you. If you stack a couple +size items you'll keep him under control longer but more attacks might get by him.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Whips have the problem of only artifact ones existing, making it even less of a build than tridents.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Taking the point out of Death Dance isn't a great idea because the next skill in the tree is pretty much the reason you're playing a berserker. Putting more that one point in Death Dance is probably a mistake but Berserk is some ridiculously good poo poo. Warcry is also pretty handy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The go do some dungeons quests in the west don't actually affect anything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Any mage. Summoner can't even do it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Venomous Strike, eh? It's a good thing i just sided with the Assassin lord. I think i'll have to wait for another category point though.

Never do that again now that you've gotten the unlock for doing it once. The merchant sells randarts in the second half of the game. Tier 5 item level 70 ridiculous randarts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a locked tree for Corruptors. It's pretty cool but the range sucks and you're burning 180 vim to sustain it plus another 5 per turn. You're really not gonna get much out of it until pretty late, especially with all the other cool sustains you probably had up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Corruptor is also really powerful, they just don't give a poo poo about moving around or defending themselves.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cleave sucks and the dualwield bonus for surge is pointless so just use surge.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Slaan posted:

People are talking about short-staff reavers and tri-wielding staves. But I don't see any talents anywhere which turns staves from 2-handed to one handed. How are people doing it?

There's a couple of staff egos that make them one handed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yep.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anniversary posted:

Using the mobile app so can't quote the other relevant post but thanks to everyone for the help!

Are there are particular item traits I want. I would guess spell crit, blight damage, effect on spell crit, and spell power?

Also is there a trick to balancing vim spending? I usually try to make sure I'll get refunds from kills when I use an aoe but it feels like vs bosses or a handful of strong foes you can burn through a lot of vim without refills and before drain comes of cool down. This gets especially rough on back to back adventurer encounters where there seems to be a very real damage race.

Drain costs nothing and restores 20% of its damage in vim. This doesn't sound like much but you'll start doing 1k+ damage with it before long and that'll pretty much top off your vim. Willpower has a slight bonus to your vim gain per kill but I wouldn't call it enough of one to actively seek out will.

As for items, you want spell crit, crit mult, spellpower, blight damage and vim on spell crit. max vim might come in handy maybe but it tends to come in tiny amounts. Don't skimp on defensive bonuses, your skills won't help you much there other than blowing things up before they get to do anything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Decided to play a Shalore Corrupter, doing really well, think I can handle a bringer of doom. Surprise! It's a level 49 Mindslayer version of those giant Spike Golems of Urh'Rok. 6k HP in the Old Forest, easily able to one-shot me.

One day I'll get a win with TurboEbola, but probably not today.

If you had a disease build and it wasn't heavily resistant to blight you probably could have won. Catalepsy is the undisputed king of completely ridiculous overkill.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

VD+Blood Spray->Epidemic->Cyst Burst if there's a crowd->Catalepsy (VD first if cyst burst happened or eye of the tiger decided it loves you)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You pick up celestial/light and technique/conditioning and shovel generics into them. Going 1/1/1/5 curses isn't a bad idea eventually.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And once you get Corruptor unlocked you can just dump corrupted negation on his bitch rear end and laugh as he spends half the fight running away trying to put his sustains back up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shalore Corruptors are amazing but not having anywhere to put generic points til level 10 kinda blows.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There really isn't a clear answer. You either have lovely spells that work all the time or strong ones that lay down on the job. How much you plan on investing in willpower is also a factor, since you can get away with more paradox if you have really high will.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

No, not really. It's mostly a (kinda boring) set up for a broken build in the mid-late game. Just pick anything that hurts when you hit with it or anything that boosts blight damage and it's perfectly fine for winning on normal.

e: I'm speculating that the new universal advice should be: Don't fight anything with a colored border that has oozemancer talents. Holy poo poo that class is broken when you play it and it's ten times worse in the hands of uniques or rares.

Classes with good aoe burst damage don't give a poo poo about oozemancers other than the fact that they usually pack manaclash.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shield is honestly probably the preferred build because assault hits about as many times as flurry and you don't have to split your stats as much.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's probably technically possible but your damage comes from arcane combat proccing millions of times, not your weapon damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Enjoy your bad randart while it's relevant I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dizz posted:

Is there any way to remove the giant lag spikes I get when moving around?

E: Also how should I build my Stone Warden skillwise?

Run on Linux and pipe stdout to /dev/null

• Locked thread