Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In general, I hope for a good many more quality video excursions for the game now that it has landed on Steam and all on top of things like Madness and Insanity---or at least one of the updates to come has Mirthless get back at it in style and out for blood as those were drat fine videos that will distill in you some timeless basics indeed even if they are of far older builds as this point.

I really need to get some traction with a character again and reach the endgame after all these busted attempts...my minion heavy Ghoul Necro died to the Master since I didn't want to go Caster to win else I'd have just been playing a straight caster, Stone Archmage somehow got killed in Lake Nur's underground in Melee while stoneform was up, and the loot and luck continue to not be there on Cursed Cornacs.

Classes that are functionally dead to me at this point as far as having either a win or nothing compelling left barring a reworking from burning so many into the ground: Alchemists, Sollipsists, Wyrmics, Summoners, Mindslayers, Corruptors I suppose, Time Wardens, Oozemancers, Archers have always been dead, and Anorithils.

Something always just seems to go wrong on Melee classes with me it seems, well, moreso than the many ranged classes at least---Rares are pretty much the cause of all strife in the game, especially rare skeletons it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I was once almost onto something by stacking Nightmare Cursed Aura on a Cursed, as the procs on being hit tended to create all sorts of crowd control and distractions---and a good distraction or several can turn into 100% damage avoidance while you smash/slice down whatever was the issue. Plus it gets quite a Willpower bonus allowing you to better focus Str/Con.

I really should try that again, main issue was luck on drops/fragility from all that generic sinking to get it to Crazy ASAP.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The shadow AI is terrible, all you can do to mitigate it is pump the Blindside command to 100% or use the "protect me" one to make them into a mass that has no choice but to engage.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'd settle for them even being Will o Wisp levels of aggressive.

ToME in general could use more synergy in skills if it has to be married to the linear tree notions as is---less one point wonders, more outright transformative effects and interactions should a player go thematically or oddly deep in anything.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Related to this Myssil trick: Is there any merit, or even possibility, of engaging with the Big Man of Point Zero and his entourage as any sort of Chronomancy class? He is the "newest" of the pack of leader folks, in terms of being added to the game I think.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I kind of wish Curses and Hexes would somehow become passives and/or some manner of sustains instead of how they currently only serve random utility roles unless you have an immaculate gameplan afoot.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ultimately, I tend to just have an almost irrational hate for the entire Generics system as is---seeing as how you get exactly one moment of a potential power surge relative to it via the Arena win and the rest of the game it is just barely dribbling on along on progress, some levels none at all.

So yeah, I'd also like to see redundant "that's a given" stuff all rolled up otherwise and a greater emphasis on exp gain (Steal from Sil?) and it granting you a shower of talent points to regularly throw at various potent things that can ultimately become greater than the sum of their point investments via synergy and whatnot.

Or if that can't happen, steal some from DoomRL in terms of challenge classes/builds to make for some thematically interesting challenges/"forced classes" that really lay the state of things bare as opposed to the worthless Insanity modes and whatnot that are probably a bad metric to use on anything as it is just Maths Pandemonium.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Nikolaos posted:

Don't forget the Last Hope elixir!

That's not even remotely a guaranteed thing to (reasonably) get, whereas the Arena points are a foregone conclusion for every character in the early game.

The Generics system really screams out as something of a relic from the earlier days of the project when it was still trying to find the legs to run screaming into the sunset with.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I wonder how Brawler counters would be if they became something akin to "pre-empters" instead? Having some talents that actually impact the turn and order of operations as it were beyond being Slow or Super Speedy could definitely shake things up a bit.

That would also perhaps give it some credence versus spellcasters, as you'd get your free attack in so long as you were in melee at least I guess, which is better than nothing as it stands.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Can't we just have an eccentric blacksmith or something that allows you to purchase, or better still Quest It Up(Give him a powered by Unknown maybe as per the Angolwen quest?), as far as the training points in "Exotic" and will "re-roll" any non-Whip/Trident you give him according to Tier level and how generally enchanted it was into a Whip or Trident for a nominal, but interestingly different fee like a Gem or something? Like the Rat fellow in ADOM, but not Artifact-biased per se nor ravenously hungry.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Seems like a bold new era of Ghoul Brawlers may well be upon us soon then.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'd like to think that, somewhere in the long term, DG has some sort of "plans" for difficulties beyond Normal/Roguelike---but for the time being it'll stay about as is as far as just mathematical punishments and such to perhaps ferret out extremes in builds in lieu of some clever wranglings or trying to adapt the newer way Diablo III has situated in a sense or something.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Farewell, Far More Interesting (If Hilariously Unbalanced) Trollmire :(

Out of everything in this past release or so, this stings as the loss of a most interesting unintended thing---there really SHOULD be some flat chance of each zone having a shot loot a tier or so higher than normal just to add some zing.

The whole respec thing is endlessly circular---still say the "best" solution is to let players manipulate their skill lines outright at creation or some such instead. "Wait until level 4 to get my actual Arcane Beam going? But I'm making a Cornac Arcane ArchMage here! Screw it, let's swap the places/reqs with the Spellpower sustain and away we go~" And so on with countless other classes and their builds that you have to "wait" on with such a long game to play as it is already.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Nope, it comes from the ToME 2 days and should generally wind up pretty crazy times.

I guess the big question is if there will be another meaty patch prior to this expansion(randomly losing characters on the world map trying to just enter a place as per usual is a mood killer once they're lvl 20-30) or if DG will just charge into the demonic doings...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Given the theme, and moreso when it didn't come out rather immediately, I always reckoned DG would probably shoot for Halloween just for kicks.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I somewhat worry about how things will shake out for DG in terms of the need to keep bolstering the servers for each of these "online-needing" additions to the game versus the actual sales and whatnot to support them especially as the Orc campaign looms. It just doesn't seem sustainable for all that long going forward unless he can time and again hit on a high level of momentum. I get that the game is far more open on the code front than most, so he probably "can't" just get things out in a more traditional way as per how Dredmor and most others have done it---but there's got to be a better way as I don't know that this was thought through all that well in the formative times when online was solely the realm of terrible global community chat and random mini-events triggered at his whim or on some sort of timer/dice rolled intervals automatically.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Sacrificial Toast posted:

So, I entered the Sludgenest on my Dwarf Doombringer, and the game got stuck on Generating Map for several minutes. After I forced the game to close, on reloading the game I'm stuck on a blank map, with time advancing at several days per second, and I can't even recall out of the place. I don't suppose there's any way I can clear out the bugged map and force it to regenerate or something?

Known/reported bug apparently still very much a thing unfortunately---one of the greatest momentum killers as far as bothering to even start up new characters and actually play the game. Really hope it gets explicitly fixed in a future patch else...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It looks like that horrible black void of infinite death Lua-related crash bug seems to be slain if I'm interpreting the changelog right---that's good times if so as it has been a dealbreaker for months now.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There's definitely some good fixes and changes that have accrued here after so long since the last proper update---but I really hope DG can just unburden moreso going forward, especially if the Orc Campaign is to really be able to fully cut loose. Let folks be able to understand the effects at play and embrace throwing out tired old skills(lines) and metrics trapped in the shadow of the game's strong early days direct influence from Dragon Age: Origins---just like it cut free from the Tolkien'ish doings, ToME is best served being progressively more...ToME...than not in some mistaken bid about holding on to stuff that just doesn't work well.

I mean, that part about enemies being able to use equipment but not guarantee the drop really seems like a badly conservative design decision aimed at the masochistic churner folks---especially if, one would presume based on the outline, that such could result in missing out on key Uniques that could well be used against you since that could "count" as it being already generated in the game world.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The hopeful issue is that there's a chance for an entirely 3 tree strong Shadows-only build plus whatever desperate generics to actually go the distance and get amusing---ideally there'd be more gear and prodigy synergy possibilities comparable to old Summoners and the like, but it might just be a case of not being there yet much the same as a Temporal Hound Master gimmick build being entirely just and moral.

I'd kind of like to see them modified almost like the Psychic projections but working in tandem vs one at a time, like perhaps always having a Your Own Shadow sticking with you while casting out the others to various ends. Or, if it just comes down to getting inspired from other games beyond DA:O---let them pursue some nifty One of Many (Some of Several?) action from NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer angle.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It would be pretty great if the game could become more viably Set driven and without having to muck around with the Item vault---even if it was just something like a town NPC that would trade Uniques(already has an example partially implemented with the the Arcane piece hunt to get into the city of Magic and some can get a ring out of it) per Tier level for comparable Set pieces and a way to zero in a bit for themed builds/challenges.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Shadow Copy Anorithil talent is another that has criteria, though if memory serves it used to be more...liberal.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Looks like the next update is being teased, v1.6(?) IIRC, at but a single DarkGod Time Unit away---no idea as to what all will be afoot though.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The only great mystery now is if the update will manage to slip in under the wire before the end of 2016 or just start 2017 strong for the game.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Has anybody yet to discern exactly what the steps are to unlock the stone warden now that it is back to the main game with the Possessor taking the slot?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Right...what's the full spoiler-laden deal with the new Rogues in terms of Traps/Poisons/etc that can be "learned from special teachers and other means"? I would guess siding with the Assassin Lord and taking Tricks of the Trade is one part of it...but there's no way that's close to all from the sound of it...

Also, what is the deal with the Gear Cursing tree for Afflicted having that ridiculously high level scaling range for the talent levels? You can only unlock the thing and put a single Cat in it right? So how/why is it more fleshed out than any other talent/thing in the game...is there some unknown metagame of artifacts that bump it up to obscene levels you are meant to shoot for if you go that route or...?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
...Sleeping Horrors can apparently show up in T1 vaults now? Right, something at last worse than the Surprise Troll at Prox's place to derail and lock off an area arbitrarily~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Velius posted:

I don't think this can happen. What dungeon are you in? Rhaloren can spawn elven blood mages as the highest level vault enemies, but dreaming horrors shouldn't be on the unit list. Are you in the ruined dungeon?

Nope, just in everybody's favorite T1 nook with the ice skeleton boss(I think...I forget which floor and if I'd pulled the bandit alternate)---it was the final little room in the classic 4 encounters/4 unguarded piles of loot....soon as I opened the door and saw it and 2 dream bubble buddies crammed in there I knew all was lost. This was also on Normal/Roguelike, so not even a Nightmare/Insane thing~

• Locked thread