Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Hello!

So, one of the fun things in ToME is the lore Unlike most roguelikes, ToME actually has a setting and backstory and such. Now, for me, part of the fun is actually finding the lore notes and putting it all together - but you might want it all up front and easy to read. As such, I present: the history of Maj'Eyal. Note that it's definately a shallow overview; I skip over a lot and don't really go into much detail. Want to learn more? Find the lore in-game!

Note: all of this is absolutely a spoiler, but I don't want to make one giant post that's nothing but a spoiler, so take this as your warning.

Age of Haze: Sher'tul are murdering all the gods for having the audacity to be gods, then gently caress off through the farportals

Age of Allure: Halflings find Sher'tul ruins and start exploiting them for power, create their empire and begin enslaving everything they see including yeeks, orcs, and humans. They even make literal coats out of the yeek, I mean god drat.

Allure Wars: Human Conclave and Shaloren start finding ruins too, a big MAGE WAR begins, and now everything is awful for everyone. One Conclave test experiment escapes and creates Zigur, which ends the war by murdering ever single loving wizard they can find until there aren't enough to continue fighting. Meanwhile the dwarves are doing all they can to wipe out the race of dragons because goooooold.

Pre-Spellblaze: Allure Wars end, everyone's poo poo is wrecked. The dwarves start helping them rebuild because of capitalism, then just vanish right as the orcs decide now is their time to rise up. They're REALLY GOOD at this and everyone is freaked, so the Conclave and Shaloren team up to create an awesome weapon that would wipe out the orcs called the Spellblaze. It works really well! Whoops! Before this happens the orcs find a farportal to the East and set up colonies "just in case."

Spellblaze: EVERYTHING IS hosed. The Magic Ozone Layer gets a giant hole ripped into it, magic goes crazy, everything is on fire and blight starts pouring into the planet. Zigur begin their Spellhunt which involves murdering everything that could ever even be magical in any way. All remaining orcs are systematically wiped out, Shaloren hide their city, remaining orcs lick their wounds in the East.

Age of Dusk: Zigur finally stops killing all wizards, Linoniil founds Angolwen after devouring the energy of a dead god the Sher'Tul embarrassingly forgot to clean up. Necromancers start to appear en-masse, tyrant-warlocks start petty fiefdoms, new and exciting diseases begin to crop up, civilization more or less shrinks down. This goes on for awhile! Eventually, to show her good intentions, wizards leave Angolwen and begin curing the new diseases and helping out as much as they can while staying secretive, because Zigur is still watching for any magic using punks to come around. Dwarves start showing up again as people scratch their heads and wonder where the hell they went. Most people know mages helped cure the diseases, but most people figure they also made them, so it's a bit of a wash.

Cataclysm: Whoops guess the Spellblaze wasn't done, huh? Naloren become naga after their entire part of the continent decides it's better down where it's wetter and the Naloren decide gills would be really nice right about now. The whole continent is pretty much ruined; Daikara (and a bunch of other volcanos) erupt, the Nur Plains become Lake Nur, the island of Rel drifts away and the yeek create the Way because gently caress halflings. Humans sail east to find out what happened to all that land that left, spoilers: they don't find it because it's at the bottom of the ocean, but hey, they do find a whole new continent to the east! Orcs say hello, humans politely greet them back, by which I mean they immediately begin slaughtering each other. Eastern humans find native Shaloren who aren't actually connected to the western Shaloren, found the Sunwall and Gates of Morning ,they teach each other how to make the Celestial classes. Garkul the Devourer, a name you can trust, decides it's time to put his plan into motion. His plan is to murder everything in the loving universe. Orcs learn how to be Corruptors long before the Shaloren figure it out, Shaloren confirmed to be terribe at most everything.

Age of Pyre: Orcs swing on by the western continent via farportal to cook everyone dinner. Dinner is their cities. Orcs proceed to light everything on fire, name the age themselves, and Garkul himself kills probably like ten billion halflings and humans. Everyone freaks out again and the halflings and humans try to put aside their differences and fight together; it helps that the orcs are only making a few side swipes at humans and are far more concerned with their mass halfling genocide (which, mind you, the halflings did to them first). Dwarves start to get involved, which makes the orcs notice them and begin burning their cities which are made of rock; dwarves protest that cities made of rock really shouldn't be burning and swiftly stop being involved (but continue to send weapons to the non-orcs in secret). Orcs begin colonizing the land after the conquer it, leaving only a small token force in the East after pushing the eastern alliance of humans and elves all the way back into the Gates of Morning and Sunwall. Mages of Angolwen and Zigur both join the alliance against the orcs, probably knowing that the other is there, but sticking to their main goal of getting rid of the tuskies. Garkul eventually eats it after taking down Atamathon and a halfling army AND a human army, good lord, most PCs can't even handle the already damaged Atamathon. The human king and halfling queen win the war together and get married and everyone is super happy and it's really sweet and the two races are finally united together; also, mass genocide of all orcs, explicitly hunting down and killing any women and children, ensuring the "orc menace" is literally wiped clean from the planet, whoops guess who doesn't know about the East.

Age of Ascendancy: The half-halfling and half-human prince is born and the Allied Kingdoms are formed. Dwarves reopen all their trade routes but keep their cities a secret, no non-dwarves allowed. Angolwen and Zigur both quietly fade into the background and begin glaring at each other, with Zigur sending out patrols and Angolwen placing agents in some of the cities. People are still suspicious of mages but won't murder them in the street. Zigur is proven completely correct as the Shaloren figure out how to unlock the Defiler metaclass and the Rhaloren split off, preaching magical supremacy. Zigur is unknowingly proven even more correct as two Angolwen mages go exploring East and decide to bring back one of the long-dead gods that hates all creation and wishes to end all life, cool idea man. They disguise themselves as orcs, fool pretty much none of the actual orc leaders, but dangle enough power and revenge in front of them to get their attention. Orcs begin sending scouts through the Iron Throne farportal to check out the west. Adventurers start adventuring. You make your character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
You can buy lore in some towns!

In the Shalore town you can buy the diary of the current Shaloren king and former Arcane Blade regarding the time right before and during the Spellblaze, which also includes the founding of Angolwen. See, the Sher'tul were nothing if not efficient and made sure there were no gods left on the planet. They just forgot to throw one of the dead ones away, which she found and used to hypercharge herself to build Angolwen. It's kinda fun to see the lore characters reacting to various Horror monsters exactly as PCs do ("WHAT IS THAT, OH GOD I CAN'T HURT THE SHINY ONES")

In Last Hope you can buy the former king's writings on the end of the Age of Pyre and the war against the orcs, and a few unrelated stories that aren't connected to, well, anything.

Angolwen and Zigur both have vague propaganda and mission statements, if I recall.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Shwqa posted:

Whoa last hope lore has the origin of the master. The sick young king that freed his people from the dwarves. His people loved him so much that when he died they got a nercomancer and raised him back from the dead. The undead king found living inefficient and killed everyone. After a while he got bored and decided to try and take over the world.

...I never connected those dots :aaaaa:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
A bit late, but Afflicted are actually related to Defilers. The class description rather strongly hints that a Doomed is what a Corruptor becomes when their demonic sugar daddy stops giving them that sweet sweet blight. Or, if you want, what happens when someone with a lot of magic gets that poo poo burned out from inside of them and finds something else to replace it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

AtomikKrab posted:

Just remember, properly equipped and with the blighted summon prodigy the golem can go up against the end game bosses and win a one on one (make sure to heal it like you would do for yourself.)

Also

LORE

Too bad WIZARDS decided to break the shield!

That's actually what the Spellblaze was, incidentally - wizards took entire Sher'tul ruins out of the earth and brought them all together, connected them all, and turned on the Far Portal. The idea is that it would bounce the magic around and surge out and wipe out the orcs. And it did! It just...kept going. And very hilariously easily escaped the wizards' control. And hit the shield. And cracked it. And that's how we got blight!

Edit: Although it's never actually stated, considering the connection between blight and disease, the sudden increase in horrible diseases that happened during the Age of Dusk are probably due to the sudden introduction of blight to the planet, just a slow drip of concentrated evil blood magic entering the sphere.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 4, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Open every vault, do every optional dungeon.

Funhavers4lyfe

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Honestly I've had little to no issues with the Grand Conjurer. It's a corruptor; you can't play defensive. Destroy him with absolute, overwhelming offense.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Again, I'm going to disagree with people who say "stack blight resist!" against the Grand Corruptor. Corruptors' biggest strength is their front loaded attacks - but they have long cooldowns and abysmal defenses. I've never had an issue with the Grand Corruptor so long as I very specifically do not play defensively, and instead stack as much +damage as I can and smash his face in before he can do the same to me. Play it safe-ish on his first couple of attacks, then go for overwhelming offense. If he brings you into the fearplane, frankly, I find things to be even easier. Charge and murder.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Alt Sandworm is the loving worst because you lose like 90% of the treasure you'd normally get.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
For what it's worth, from memory, the trident you get for Legacy of the Naloren is really, really good for meleeslayers

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

HenryEx posted:

Not sure how you get surprised by something like that. Maybe your playstyle is "run around every corner"?

Legit my playstyle for every character. Hello, autotravel.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Things I have learned while trying to conquer the Sludge zone (ALL of it. If the achievements go to 500, then god dammit, so shall I!) - there is a finite inventory! Even in your magic chest!

...There really needs to be a way to empty that chest without using the stairs! As I currently cannot pick up anything, and doing each item individually would take me probably literal hours.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

James Totes posted:

You can just click on the chest in your key items place and say 'transmogrify all' though?

I did not know this! It makes my life much easier! Thanks!

theshim posted:

What are you doing it with? I've gotten to around 200 but I don't think past that.

I can post it when I get home; it's the heavily defensive adventurer. Solipsism, oozes, mindslayer shields, gloom, antimagic, fungus, etc, etc. Mindblades are my only real offense, but typically do enough bump damage not to be a concern, and I can outlast nearly anything. I hit 300 last night, gonna finish up to 500 later today, I think. The main concern now is that EVERYTHING stuns, so if you have anything less then 100% stun immunity, you're going to end up chain stunned sooner or later.

Pvt.Scott posted:

What trees in the game, if any, really shine with an extra .2 mastery? Are there any trees that certain classes have access to at lower than 1.3 that could get good gains from a bump? I'm trying to figure out why category points for buffing mastery is even an option.

Mindslayer shields tree, the last talent at 3 and 6 gives you extra damage types the shields work against, so it could be worth it for adventurers to bring it from 1.0 to 1.2.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Just more proof that Zigur is objectively correct :colbert:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Open every chest. Learn through failure. Beat the game atop a mountain of your own corpses.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

dis astranagant posted:

The game caches that poo poo now so you have to go to the world map and then exit to the main menu if you want it to stick.

Last time I did this after my game crashed and the city bugged out it still didn't work; I'm guessing saves are ALSO saved through Steam, which screws this up a bit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The goon rogue guide is set up for trap rogues. Is Gravity Trap still amazing? And any general advice for running a trap rogue?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

StevieWonder posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Gravity Trap is the prodigy.

Okay, before it was "nerfed" it didn't really belong in the game. That's how overpowered it was.

After the "nerf" it's still really really amazing.

It's like, hey, you got this far on a trap rogue. Congratulations. Go have some fun with this thing.

I guess I'm mostly asking how trap rogue is before Gravity Trap! I've never really gone far with a rogue before.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Cuntpunch posted:

Yeah, that's my recollection of matters.

I think part of the problem with most 'new classes' is that excepting a couple of obvious generic trees, most newer classes are tailor-built around a theme and end up having so many trees dedicated to synergizing with each other. The 'classic' classes are getting revamped here-and-there to make them similar, but there's still a lot of cases where most of the basic fighters share a good portion of Class skills.

It's easier to build really brutal classes when you have 40 skills *meant to work together* rather than when you're building classes with 10 class-specific skills and then slapping Dual-Weapon Combat on top of it.

Part of it is that they are, well, new classes. I don't know crap about ToME editions before 4th, but as I understand a lot of classes got made generally together, which is why there are so many shared talents, and why the newer classes tend to have far more unique talents.

As time has gone on DarkGod has gotten better at making mechanical synergies and themes that all work together. Unfortunately that also means sometimes accidentally more powerful classes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Water breathing can be found on random items; check your stores, and check your items before you chest them!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
On the note of marauders, is it better to go two daggers, or dagger + one hand and spend more generic points in both weapon masteries? It LOOKS like I ideally want to go heavy on strength (and abandon mobility for armor) and dex, with cunning feebly catching up a little after I max out those two and con.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The light shadowblade thing worked for me.

On that note there's apparently a reference to a new rogue class coming out. The unlock? Counterattack from at least 5 spaces away. Slingers, grab your shields...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The big question I always have with marauders is if I should go two daggers or one hand + dagger, since the latter requires more generic points.

Also how much I should pump Skullcracker, since basically no dudes in the vault have it at 5.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The main issue I've had with Marauder is that they seem to be the glassiest of cannons until 22, and even then, that's just three turns of not dying so it's probably more 25-ish. While you don't entirely hurt for class points, you ARE hurting for category points, and unless you roll Cornac that means you're stuck with three infusions/runes for a while, which means mobility can ALSO be a concern. Basically Marauder just laughs at all the puny "attacking" enemies, and then something with an ounce of spellpower glances it's way and you're in some poo poo.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Personally I'm more intrigued by the mindslayer and paladin changes. Paladin has two hander support, mindslayer looks like it got changed just a whole bunch in general. Looks like you can go straight up mindcaster and never touch melee stuff, with the boosts to pyrokinesis and other new stuff. Alternately, other new stuff for meleeslayers looks interesting, but it DOES still look like you're best off going with mindblades in your main hands. Basically, keep your main and offhand mindblades, but now consider a gem or pigsticker in your TK slot to go melee with.

Lots of new sling stuff to go with the new rogue class as well.

EDIT: Shield ABs finally got nerfed to be more along the lines of two weapon ABs.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 30, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Actually, scratch that, I'm hearing that TK wielding a weapon lets you use cunning/will on your non-TK weapons too, so meleeslayers are absolutely better off now.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
New brawlers.

Jesus loving christ.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Honestly, I think AM might be the wrong way to go with new Brawler...if simply because they now have SO many good generic point sponges.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
You can grab the beta and play it freely!

I'm still kinda trying to wrap my head around the mindslayer changes. They changed a LOT about that class.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 2, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
What you psiwield is pretty competitive now. TKing a sword means your non-TK'd weapon uses Will+Cun instead of Str+Dex, TKing a mindstar pulls enemies closer to you, and TKing a gem gives you absurd stat increases.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Stelas posted:

E: Also, one thing you missed is that Mindslayers have cut their massive HP penalty by a serious amount. I think they're now -2? You're blowing up because you're playing a Yeek one. Go try a Thalore or even just a Cornac one and you'll find yourself significantly more durable.

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed. You played literally the, bar none, most fragile race in the entire game, who takes a big penalty to their survivability, and then said that you had no survivability. Which has me scratching my head a little!

Anyone try the new paladin, incidentally? It wasn't changed AS much as brawlers or mindslayers, but still got a few changes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Wow, this looks new:

A universal wild infusion.

There's a few new artifacts I've seen that look absolutely absurd, both in terms of power and concept. Including one set of plate that gets better when you move slower, and can, for those dumb non-ghouls, be activated to slow down everything in whatever radius, including yourself.

Granted, still hard to beat that +20 dex dagger.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

James Totes posted:

The added HP is nothing in comparison to the loss of the shield value. Those things spiked up to 2k midgame and more lategame, and you haveing 300 more HP doesn't even touch that. Not to mention, you can no longer pre-spike shields for tough encounters. You're forced to take hits to gain shield mitigation.

And, honestly? It's not really that much added offense. They made weapon-using better, but they hurt mindstars a lot in return, which hurts the actual spell-trees. If you mean that weapons don't suck anymore, yeah. But its not enough of an improvement to justify how much squishier they got.

Here's the thing though - the new shields, un-spiked, absorb massively more damage then they did previously. Spiking immediately is no longer a given, is the only real change.

Like, this is something people aren't noticing because nobody paid attention to un-spiked shields, but the new shields block a gently caress ton of damage when set on passively.

Basically, gameplay style has changed. Previous, it was "oh a hard fight, better immediately spike." Now you want to hold off until things actually get dicey. It's no longer a no brainer. Remember, a spiked shield blocks ALL damage, not just it's type - entering a fight and giving it a few rounds to "charge up" before spiking it is what you want to do. Now, if you DO hit something dramatically beyond your capabilities and you need a wall up now to escape, you have that, too - it's called Forcefield. But honestly, look at how the shields do in passive - it's a really big change.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
My admittingly strange question for 2hand paladins: Is there a tier 5 artifact as "fitting" as the paladin specific longsword+shield set???

( Seriously half the reason I play this is to decorate myself in artifacts )

( Don't go OH BUT MERCHANT ARTIFACT because that's missing my desire entirely :()

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Walh Hara posted:

The new Mindslayers are ridiculously strong. Mine is making insane difficulty look easy. Huge damage potential with little point investment at decent range, great damage mitigation, 2 long range controlled teleports with low cooldown, resource that is so easy to replenish that you can keep fighting forever, inherent stun resistance, heal + physical effect removal and tons of free stats points all make the class ridiculously good at higher difficulties. At normal difficulty I assume you can kill everything before they get a second turn.

Would there be interest in a build order guide for them?

Either that or an overview of the taletns I think. I've been too busy messing with new paladin to really look at new Mindslayer and I'd be interested in peoples' thoughts on their stuff.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Alt Trollmire is currently hilariously bugged and drops T3-T4 items.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Farewell, Far More Interesting (If Hilariously Unbalanced) Trollmire :(

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

theshim posted:

The only thing I can think the respeccing would make annoying is early for characters you plan on sticking mindstars on and Stone Arcane Blades. People actually juggling the points to max out abilities are horrible munchkins and I fully support kicking their asses to the curb.

Yeah, I only really juggled points with Arcane Blade in order to get to Stone. If I can still "respec" and take points out of Fire to put into Stone at level 10 while in a town, then no worries.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

ToxicFrog posted:

"If you give your players two ways to play the game, the easy tedious way and the challenging fun way, they will choose the easy tedious way. And then blame you for it."

This is always the hardest thing for game developers to understand. I mean, literally the entirety of tabletop gaming hasn't clicked on this yet (though they have to grapple with far more toxic fans then even the indiest of video games). There's a reason most video games have learned the importance of "quality of life" improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean, the actual solution is "don't make an easy yet ultimately tedious method of winning."

One of the things MtG has learned was "don't be afraid to ban or re-write un-fun things."

• Locked thread