Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Ciaphas posted:

I'm slightly confused about Reaver stats. What do I want to prioritize in leveling and equipment?

Depends on how you want to play.

My current reaver is wielding Kor's Fall and focusing on magic and hoping to get a couple of short staves at what point I'll invest in reaving combat.

There's so much damage you can do with your spells that I'm just focusing on those. Previously I'd play a hybrid and while it was fun this approach has been much more successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
My first character to accomplish anything in the east was a Necro. Ghoul necro, though, because I like pet classes and being able to heal your minions lets you do things like keep your armored skeleton with a shield rune alive for many levels.

Supposedly minion-less necro is the most powerful necro but I've been too much on a melee kick for months now to try.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Geektox posted:

I just got to level 9 with Cursed, best I had ever done with this class, and then I got ambushed by a mage with Fearscape :(

Fearscape at level 9? That's brutal.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Finally won on normal/RL with a brawler today. Spellhunt Remnants made it the easiest final boss fight I've done. My previous winners all had a much harder time. I basically just bump attacked them to death and only pulled back once to heal. Closed 2 portals for the silly portal reaver achievement.

80% of the characters I've played the last 2 months have been brawlers trying to get a win on them and their mid-game is brutal. Getting Spellhunt Remnants to T5, Breath of Eyal, Wanderer's Rest in midgame really helped.

Didn't spend a point in finishing moves, category unlocks were dirty fighting, harmony and fungus. Had 2 regen infusions (which I kept on autocast since I had 5/1/5/1 fungus), Heroism, Movement and Wild Infusion: Magic because gently caress impending doom. I never ended up needing the Heroism infusion as far as I can remember.

First char to kill Neverdead and basically just waded through the prides, high peak and sanctum without breaking a sweat.

Kinda glad I got the Brawler win in before Brawler gets a buff that it looks like it is getting in the next patch.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Nikolaos posted:

Can we shut up about AotD already? Christ, there are people in the world I don't like very much either but I don't keep posting about them on internet forums.

It's my fault for being nosy after reading some comments a few pages back. Didn't want to ask in this thread because I think I'm too old for drama and goonrushes, especially over a single player game. I asked Shibari what AotD did that people here dislike him, Shibari tells AotD and here we are.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Zereth posted:

So because you didn't want to cause drama you took the choice more likely to cause drama? :psyduck:

Asking one person or asking the thread. Seems obvious to me. This whole thing is more dumb "us vs. pubbies" BS that got old by like, 2005.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Congrats on the cursed win. Mine died late game after I got used to just killing stuff, which is the downside of playing roguelike, obvious. It's the same thing that kills 80% of my characters - getting into the flow of just mowing things down leading to lazily bump attacking poo poo and not realizing I just bumped attacked something like 4 times while Impending Doom is ticking or whatever.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Server goes down, can't play my Stone Warden character. DRM for a roguelike is kinda silly.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Just got my 4th normal/RL win using a Wyrmic.

I did 1/4/1/1 in the shield offense tree (until late game when I dumped 4 more points into assault because I could)
I had acid, fire, cold and sand breaths at 5 and then 1/1/1/5 that unlockable tree with the skill that increases elemental damage and resists.

For prodigies I went with Spectral Shield + Eternal Guard and I didn't regret it for a second. I am lazy so I kept 2 regen infusions and block on autocast and I was healing 200-250 hp a turn plus blocking everything that came my way. It allowed me to be really stupid with the character who didn't even need the BoL until I fought Lianil who kicked my butt and now I'm dead.

I was wearing Crystal Heart and Crystal Focus-ified voratun plate and longsword. Together they're actually decent, doing tons of arcane damage is nice since there's not a lot of stuff I ran into with high arcane resist, but I kept forgetting that I was doing arcane damage and I stacked physical resist/+Phys damage stuff which is kinda laffo in retrospect.

I bought a randart shield that was fantastic and I was getting 2-3k crits with assault regularly, which is really all I needed considering how tanky this dude was.

For the final fight I barely used any of my breath skills or bellowing roar and really I just pounded everything with assault, dissolve and dissolve from Destara's Scales.

I've won with an AM Berserker, AM Bulwark and AM Brawler and this was by far my easiest win, I only healed once and that was at 50% HP not including the heroic infusion I popped. In fact I used nature's touch on Aeryn a few times.

I did let the timer run out on Charred Scar to see what it was like. Also I was curious if PD from Aetherwalk boots would work in the Sanctum. Spoilers below for anyone who wants to know the answers to these questions since nobody in tome chat seemed to know:

So if you let the timer run out on Charred Scar Aeryn shows up at High Peak 10 and wants to fight. After you beat her you have the option to kill her or talk to her. Talking to her I got her to play nice and she showed up in the Sanctum which means letting Charred Scar run out isn't that big of a deal as far as winning the game since if you can't beat her 1v1 by High Peak 10 you're in trouble.

However, after I won I wasn't able to go back into Gates of the Morning because it was destroyed by the two end bosses who are jerks or something.

Also, I was able to use Aetherwalk's Phase Door in the sanctum. Are you normally able to use Phase Door in there, btw?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Bob NewSCART posted:

For block/infusions on autocast, do you just use when available or something different?

Infusions on available since the 3rd fungus skill makes them not take a turn most of the time.

For block I think I was using 'when adjacent' until I got the prodigy combo up and then I was using 'when enemy visible' since I couldn't think of a reason I wouldn't want to start blocking at that point.

It's not ideal unless you're super lazy like I am.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Why isn't that just in from the beginning. What a retarded system.

My...my immersion!

There's a lot of silly things that aren't deal breakers but just kinda head scratches. I still will never get yeeks leaving their dungeon arriving in Halfling Complex 4 in a room with a boss. As a new player it takes a lot to get past that stupid Ritch queen and then you go to a new level and a lot of people end up thinking they have to fight Z.

Honestly I think there are enough negatives to undead races that the cap thing is unnecessary. Not being able to use infusions, get mindstar masteries, go to a place with good gear at game start are solid negatives. On top of that Skellies have their huge XP penalty and Ghouls get even more assfucked by having no options to gain an extra life, still having to breathe :confused: and that 20% global speed penalty.

Having to deal with wearing that cloak just seems like needless inventory management.

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 15, 2014

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Incidentally, Shibari's account still has zero Nightmare/Insane wins.

Incidentally it's retarded that you wasted time from your life to check. Chat annoys the poo poo out of me some days so I just turn it off I don't do forensic research into people's gaming cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm apparently the only person on the planet who thinks having an overpowered class or three is ok in a singleplayer game. The nonstop tomechat whining about how OP doombringer is by super pros who only play ultra madness only uniques double secret ultra roguelike mode has gotten stale.

• Locked thread