Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

deptstoremook posted:

I like to go:
  • (Racial starter)
  • Trollmire 1-3
  • Norgos' Lair
  • Heart of the Gloom
  • Arena
  • Trollmire 4
  • Old Forest 1-4, go down the stairs to Lake Nur
  • Kor'Pul, go into Dreadfell and leave, go into the Last Hope Graveyard and leave
  • Maze
  • Sandworm Lair
  • Daikara
  • Halfling Ruins
  • Ruined Dungeon
  • Golem Graveyard
  • Dreadfell

Do Lumberjack Village and the Merchant quest whenever, but if you have a hard time with the Merchant quest avoid walking around on the world map as long as possible. I usually just skip the Miranda quest now.
You skipped Rhaloren Camp and Scintillating Caves, though I assume they're around Old Forest somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Jowy posted:

Also, while we're doing dungeon order chat:

That's basically the same order I do, though sometimes I will throw in Halfling Complex after a few floors of Dreadfell as well. Especially if I feel I don't have what it takes for the Master yet.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For some reason, this only works when NumLock is off.

This used to also be the case for running in a direction in the ToME 2.x days as well (and may still be?), but with auto-explore it doesn't really matter as much.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tin Tim posted:

Has the mage city been changed? I can't see the mage that you need to give an arcane artifact to unlock it.

Are you antimagic? I think he doesn't show up if you are, much like Zigur won't show up if you have certain resource bars.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

jsoh posted:

Actually you will often miss teleporting enemies
I don't think so in 1.3.0 anymore

DarkGod posted:

- Run/Rest also stops if you saw someone for the fraction of time as they escape your field of vision at the end of your turn.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Metal Meltdown posted:

Doombringer was my first win and is a solid class to recommend to start with because holy Christ are they strong.

I'm sad to admit that it was my first win and I had to do it on Easy Non-Roguelike and I used all my lives :( (though to be fair, two of those were hubris thinking I could delve into the room of death in the Vor Armoury BOY WAS I WRONG)

And I've been playing for long enough that my user ID is in the low 3-digits: http://te4.org/user/354/ :cry:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Well Daikara killed me good. I was doing alright but then I got caught in open terrain too many enemies and got surrounded. It's a bit upsetting but I think I did alright considering I had never played the game. Bulwark's fun if repetitive. I'm trying out a summoner this time around. I'll see how it goes. I also unlocked Wyrmic, Brawler, and Cursed, all three that seem really fun. I have the archmage as well but I don't think I'll be able to handle that just now.

Getting to Daikara on your first run is certainly fine, even though ToME has a reputation as one of the "easier" roguelikes it's not just a stroll to the end either.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Man, nutting up and playing roguelike with some archmages and twice in a row die to one hit kills while autoexploring. Feels bad man. I even had my shield rune set to auto-cast when enemies are visible.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Also killing enemies creates new bubble pockets for you so it's really not too bad unless you are desperately retreating.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I think it's not supposed to happen but I'm pretty sure I've forgotten to do the arena quest before and run into the quest giver while actually clearing Derth of air elementals. I think I just got lucky and they didn't spawn any in that section of town and I happened to go north first.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

1.4.0 released!

quote:

Release highlights:
  • Big improvements to Doomed class
  • Big improvements to Reaver class
  • New cool default UI skin
  • Many misc UI improvements, with special attention to streamer's needs
  • Less need to scum for a good insane/madness start
  • Many code updates to let addon & modules developers get wild
  • Tons of various improvements and fixes

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I mean, as insane as that is, the death message itself is pretty good. Getting "grandfathered to death" is probably about as accurate as you can get there.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Random Hajile posted:

Sun Paladins are also pretty fuckin good at not dying once they get off the ground.

Yeah, Ogre Sun Paladins in particular are pretty beefy and hard to kill. Just realize that at some point later in the game some of the rares you find will just be unkillable for you. Unfortunately for my last build that meant I couldn't finish off the final boss area either :eng99:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Affi posted:

https://te4.org/characters/223913/tome/b77d7d8c-2f32-4815-97cb-dd2c23e92697ah=06291a6c-4c53-4261-ba45-0526330c2b9ead=223913 Huh, link doesn't work? Weird.

It ran itself really, I kinda sorta followed some outdated guide with some tweaks. Basically had good gear and my temporal clones did massive amounts of damage and procced lots of debuffs.

https://te4.org/characters/223913/tome/b77d7d8c-2f32-4815-97cb-dd2c23e92697

you got some extraneous poo poo in your URL, this works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

vdate posted:

Step 1: Find the Watcher in the Water
Step 2: Inhabit its corpse
Step 3: Pr-

no, wait, that's something else. I genuinely have no idea how Possessors work in this game. I assume you Mind Crush anything that you don't want to possess and might pose a threat, though.

Oh man now I want to go play ToME 2.3.x again. Deathmold LostSoul Possessors always seemed like such a hilarious gimmick that I could never pull off.

e: and of course the first one I look up on the angband ladder has the Watcher

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 22, 2017

• Locked thread