Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The orders get to you in one way or another. A crow tapping at your office window whose squawking you can somehow understand. A letter from a so-called relative in Austria that, when held up to a source of heat, reveals hidden words that deliver the true message. A dead drop in a trashcan marked with a certain graffiti tag outside your apartment. It tells you the following:

SUSPECTED LOYALIST CULT DOWNTOWN. ACTIVITY REPORTED IN FOUNTAIN SQUARE. GATHER INTEL WITH YOUR RING TOMORROW ON WHERE THEY ARE BASED AND WHAT THEY WANT, AND THEN WAIT FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTION.

Fountain Square is an oddity. A cultural district of Indianapolis, it is caught dead between the more cosmopolitan east side of Indianapolis and the impoverished south side. As such, it is half ghetto, half gentry; a wide variety of local restaurants serving foreign and familiar foods as well as multiple modern art galleries and theaters line the main street and mix with the 1950's era landmarks, attracting the iPhone-and-skinny jeans crowd to the area in droves. Circling the area, however, are dilapidated buildings and the people who live in them. As such, it is not uncommon to see a crowd of scenesters on the same street as a family clad in clothes given to them by the Salvation Army. Your group has sent text messages to each other, detailing the procedure you want to follow for today. You have decided to split into pairs, and to keep within a block of the other two sub-groups. While it is night-time, you still do not want to give any potential Loyalist agent the idea that you are cooperating with someone else.

Ilaniel and Mr. Bright

You are in a retro-styled diner. You are currently waiting for both the meal that you ordered and a text message from one of the other members of the ring. The diner is modestly full, mostly with working-class families and their children. Posters of Elvis, James Dean, and Marilyn Monroe surround and look down upon you. Ilaniel is seated at a bar stool, and is flanked by a bearded old man on the left and a young redhead on the right. Mr. Bright is seated in one of the booths by himself. Out of the corner of his eye, Ilaniel can see Dr. Wolfram walk by the window.

Dr. Wolfram and Mons

You are currently walking the streets by the fountain. You are trying to keep enough distance from each other that you can keep an eye on each other without tipping off any potential on-looker that you are in any way affiliated. The streets are not too full. A man on the corner is handing out flyers.

Malediction and A.W. Culp

You are exiting an art gallery. A lone newspaper is lying by the entrance to the gallery. Across the street, you hear a group of people arguing, although it is not too certain exactly what they are saying.

The Agents

Mr. Bright

Ilaniel

Mons

Dr. Herwig Wolfram M.I.A.

Malediction

A.W. Culp

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

This place, Fountain Square, was a perfect metaphore for the world as Herwig saw it: an oasis of beauty encroached by vast sands of ugliness all around. The beauty had but limited power to fight back, even to keep existing, its waters eternally drained by heat and drought. The doctor could almost smell the dry air, the beauty evaporating. He was here to struggle on behalf of the oasis. Realigning his deep burgundy tie, then making sure the cuff-links in his light blue shirt were in the right place, he affected the air of a serious man, a man serious about his looks. Yet he was as little out of place here as the poor; he knew men like him were drawn to the ambiguous hipness of this area, like flies to a wound. The wound was still fresh, he could smell its iron, so to speak and that thought brought him back to the task at hand. The cold, cold iron of the God-Machine. What would it want here? The hints would be small, but they would be there. Pretending to walk purposefully to some place that would allow him to stroll past the man distributing flyers, Herwig acted suprised, slightly off-put as he's handed one, nodding with the fake gratitude that meant he was going to toss it into the next trash can. He was, but not without reading it first.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel
Health: 8, Willpower: 5, Cover: 7 , Primium: 1 , Aether:7

Ugh. Diner food. Why was it always diner food? They were almost certain to screw up the scrambled eggs and bacon he ordered, let alone the disgusting, grease-filled hamburger the man next to him was scarfing down. That was really the problem with this entire city: you couldn't get a decent meal more than six blocks from Monument Circle downtown, and the only thing Fountain Square really had going for it was second-tier art shows and lousy weekend swing dancing.

Ilaniel was bad at this work; give him a target, and he'd watch it burn, but tell him to find a target and it took him twice as long as he'd like. Except for Angels---he always had a knack for hunting those down. He glanced over his shoulder at Mr. Bright, then turned to his right to track Dr. Wolfram. A moment too late, he realized he'd been looking almost right at the young woman to his right, and he tried to cover it. "Hi, I'm Christopher Brawlins, Indianapolis Star reporter. Do you come here often?"

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 27, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Dr. Wolfram

You take the pamphlet. The man who handed it to you is well-dressed and says, "Read this, buddy. It'll change the way you see everything," as he passes it to you.

On the front is a drawing of a three-faced man. To the left of the head is vegetation and wildlife such as deer, boars, and sparrows. The middle face is adorned by a crown made of lightning and machinery. The right side has a drawing of a city's skyline. In bold text above the strange face is the title "The New Scientists of the Many-Faceted One".

Inside the document are multiple testimonies from people who said that their life was changed the moment they picked up the full book and joined the group. According to the pamphlet, the book contains the ideal way on how to live your life in perfect unison with both industrialization and nature through a multi-step process. You can buy the book for a mere $150 online from their website, linked to you at the very back.

Ilaniel

The girl looks up and smiles at you. "Oh, a reporter! That's really interesting! And I thought today was going to be boring. My name's Jenny Hall. Are you here about all the missing person reports from around this area?"

Your scrambled eggs and bacon arrive as she finishes her sentence. The waiter chuckles as he gives you the food. "Breakfast at night, buddy?

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 27, 2014

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

A smile crept onto his face; this might be the cult, or it might be totally random. Symbolism is in the eye of the beholder, after all, and the symbols contained within the flyer fit with current tastes, they needn't have come from the God-Machine. Yet there it was. As opposed to his earlier intent, Herwig does not move on unmoved, does not simply toss the flyer into the trashcan, but turns to face the young man who handed it to him. Well-dressed, not as shabby as most people in his line of work, perhaps a follower himself. Only one way to find out.

"I was expecting a flyer for a club, not this. I am intrigued," the doctor drawls with slight overtones of an Austrian accent, just enough to throw someone off balance, make them wonder as to the exotic origins of the man before them. "Tell me how this book has changed your life; convince me, for I am a sceptical man. Sceptical, but not unreasonable. I recycle, I buy organic. How will the Scientists of the Many-Faceted One better me?" He was certain the young man was not unaccustomed to be challenged in such a way, but his tones were those of a man with earnest interests, his face betraying mild amusement, but also willingness to be persuaded.

In case you need it, a socialize roll: Presence + Socialize: 5d10h8 0 No hits, I fear.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel

Ilaniel looked at the soggy bacon, and back to the waiter. "Some of us have night jobs, pal."

He turned back to Jenny and continued the conversation. "I certainly am. I work the murder beat at the Star, and they asked me to come look around a bit, see what I could stir up. What brings you out tonight? You're the kind of young, lively person this area attracts on a Friday, so what's the topic of the day in Fountain Square?"

To show his seriousness, Ilaniel produced a small notepad and pen from his coat pocket and started scribbling down a few details: Jenny Hall, young, Friday at Fountain Square, brought up disappearances first.

(I think that might actually be true. I imagine Ilaniel would've heard about the disappearances if they were news-worthy, and the paper would probably ask someone to check it out...)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Dr. Wolfram

The man seems unconvinced by your words. "I doubt you're actually interested. I bet you're just another Conventional out to introduce discord to my lambency. Honestly, how do you people live with yourselves?"

He frowns for a moment, and then gets a look on his face. "I suppose you might not be entirely unsalvageable, though. Tell you what: you give me 500 bucks right now, and I'll take you into the building over there and get you started on an Incorporation session to get you on track. This could change your life, my man. I used to be a loser a few years ago: no job, barely able to hold on to my apartment. But then the Scientists showed me the truth of reality and helped me on my way to success. Now I manage over four restaurants here in downtown Indy."

Ilaniel

Jenny giggles when you talk back to the waiter. "I used to work a night shift too. Starbucks down the road. But now I'm studying to be an accountant, so those days are done. Anyway, I'm just here for dinner. I live around this neighborhood; it's where I was born and raised."

After she takes another sip of her coffee, she resumes talking. "I'm surprised they sent someone, to be honest. These aren't exactly the type of people that are missed by anyone higher up. Poor white or black people that live alone, you know? It's just disheartening to see the cops give a half-assed effort when they show up to look for these people. A person is a person. It doesn't matter how much money they have; if they're in trouble and you're a cop, you had better be working your rear end off to try and help them."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

Malediction twists his face into a look of annoyance and mutters something about littering as he bends down to pick up the newspaper. "Some people have no respect for public places." He crosses the street heading for the only recycling bin on the block. An oddity in this city, but then being Green, as they call it, is the hip thing these days. He absently looks over the paper as he walks, the stops upon reaching the bin, unfolding the bottom and scanning the page intently. It looks as if one of the headlines has caught his interest, but he's much more interested in the argument, now less than 15 feet away.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Malediction

As you close in, you can hear more snippets of the argument. "Bobby, I cannot believe it. Are you seriously trying to go Conventional on us?! After we've been Scientists together for two years. I just can't believe that you'd listen to the crazies out there, those Leaden idiots who don't know how to live properly. I'm done with you. I can't be talking to people like you, or I'll de-lambent and have to go in for another Reincorporation session."

The rest of the group leaves, ignoring the protests of Bobby, a young man in a preppy style blazer. He looks to be on the verge of tears.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel

Ilaniel continued to make notes in his pad, and asks, "How long have you lived around here? How long have these disappearances been going on?"

When she makes the comment about police presence, he gives her a knowing nod. "Yeah, that's the problem with this city---one of them. The police will hunt down drug dealers for money, but a bunch of poor people vanish and they just write it off as 'gang activity' and move on. Truth be told, there's just no money in finding a murderer. A clever accounting student like you should be able to piece that much together."

Ilaniel let out a wry laugh, trying to make light of his clear disdain for society. He sipped his own coffee, and took a bite of the bacon. Yup, soggy. It's like diners in this city couldn't figure out how to shove bacon in a pan for a minute. Washing the bacon down with another mouthful of coffee, he continued, "Do you know anyone that's disappeared? How long have you been living around here? Do you know when they started?"

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

"You have told me all I needed to hear," the doctor says, smile still on his face, as his hand slides into his jacket and produces his wallet. "I assure you, I am no 'Conventional'. If you knew me, you would know." The last sentence comes out with a glee that betrays a foreigner's joy of the strangeness of the English language. Herwig ruffles through the wallet, counting up the bills to $500, while trying to discern whether the man before him is more interested in his wallet than in his conversion. He could miss the money, even if all of this didn't pan out, but there was never enough time. "Let me text my friend I've been held up at work, yes?" Even if the recruiter hesitates, he quickly types of a text in what to anyone else would appear like German. Funny thing, language. That done, he's glad to follow the man.

++Ich habe einen Hinweis gefunden. Ich werde ihm folgen [I've found a clue. I'm going to follow it]++

Manipulation+Empathy: 4d10h8 1 to see whether this is a ploy for money, or whether my friend here truly wishes to convert me. If it should have been subterfuge, the dice would have been the same.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
In this case, either Empathy or Subterfuge would've worked.

Dr. Herwig Wolfram

You see that the man is genuine in his belief, and that the eagerness on his face was not that of a scam artist, but of an evangelist anticipating a new convert. He smiles and says, "You've made the best decision of your life. Here, take this. It's a voucher for your first session. You can only get one of these from someone who has been initiated in the group, so it's a good thing you stumbled onto me. Follow me, now."

He leads you into a nearby office. The lobby is sparsely decorated; the only thing asides from chairs and a counter where a receptionist is waiting is a triptych detailing three scenes: a man in the woods, surrounded by woodland creatures, the same person standing in the middle of a storm, and the man in the midst of a medieval style village. The man tells you to take a seat, as he has to get back to passing out flyers. He drops the money into a box near the receptionist and then leaves. The receptionist, a young woman with lipstick that was far too red applied to her mouth, smiles and says, "Our Incorporator will be with you shortly. Please stay seated."

On a desk next to you is an array of pamphlets. Some of them are the same as the one the man handed you earlier. The others are "Tips and Tricks on Retaining Lambency", "Living: The Scientist Way!", and "How to Disconnect from Repressive Elements".

Ilaniel

Jenny says, "Like I said, born and raised here. 23 years, if you want me to be exact. I don't know anyone personally who has gone missing, but my ex-boyfriend says his cousin went missing. His name was Rick Miller, and I think he went missing a month ago. They've pretty much gave up on looking for him. I'd say the disappearances have been happening for about six months, now. I hope someone catches whoever's doing this."

She looks disappointed for a moment, and then tries to perk back up. "You might want to head to the public library down the road. I think they have some records and old newspapers you can look through there. Maybe you can help the police catch the bad guy!"

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 27, 2014

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

"I'm not going anywhere, miss," Herwig says with a wink, but gets up nonetheless. He gestures at the pamphlets, feigning interest and picking a few up, but it's not the pamphlets he appears to be genuinely interested in. The receptionist's make-up wasn't flawless, far from it, nor did the bangs suit the angle of her cheekbones, but she wasn't ugly. She needed work, yes, but that was of secondary interest, for now she needed to feel beautiful. He pretends to pretend not to be looking at her, double-faking that comes natural to Demons, but finally he leans in conspiratorially, his blue eyes connecting with hers. "Had I known you were here, schönes Mädchen, I would have shed my Conventionality long ago." That pearly white smile, a flicker of the tip of his tongue. "Tell me, what has drawn a beauty such as you here? You must see far more of the goings-on here than most others. What truths lie in store for me?"

Man+Per (Spec.)+Striking Looks: 9d10h8 2 to flatter some information out of her

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Mr. Bright

Having an accomplice strike up conversation with target while listener waits nearby- good trick. Shame it wasn't intentional, but randomness reveals patterns that Cause and Effect could recreate. The man in the booth looked distractedly down at his smartphone, clearly more interested in watching the kitchen for his chili.

Shortly after the redhead mentioned research, Ilaniel would get a text reading "On it."

Maneuvering his thumb like a true professional, he ran a search in his browser and a couple of local news apps for coverage of missing persons downtown lately. Specific names and locations would be most useful to ask Ibro's colleagues in social services for any details.

Intelligence+Computer: http://orokos.com/roll/162650 1 success

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Culp(Redactor)

"Yes, yes...uhem... Yes. Thank you ever so much for the invitation," Culp said, shaking the young artist's hand and fixing him with a slightly bemused smile.

"Very...ehm... interesting work. You've really managed to internalized the kinds of linework they used... the, uh, the color was quite close. Aged the parchment with earl grey tea, did you? That self-same technique was used by many forgers starting at around the 16th century and running up into modern times. A lot of history, that, quite good. The subject matter isn't exactly to my tastes but I can find no fault with the technique. I am impressed."

He wasn't, of course. The artist's work was exceedingly banal, rock musicians and other pop culture figures rendered in a rough approximation of the style of medieval devotional art. Trash, really. But Culp was not a man whose interests often brought him to Fountain Square, so the options for carrying out this latest request without straining his cover overmuch were limited. Malediction hadn't been happy when Culp told him they were going to an opening for an artist who had been visiting the shop to look at reference material for the past few months but Redactor didn't really see what he had to complain about -- HIS cover had a wide range of interests and might be expected to do just about anything in the course of his job, so one evening spent looking at bad art seemed like a small sacrifice for him to make.

Not that he was sure exactly what the point of this little outing was. Apollon was big on information compartmentalization and never told its agents more than the bare minimum they'd need to complete an assignment. In theory, that meant they could give up only a minimal amount of intel if they were to be captured. It was something Redactor admired -- in theory. In practice, it was more than a little maddening -- everything Apollon wanted done was a fool's errand up until the point that it wasn't.

Case in point: just as Culp had finished his goodbyes and the entity wearing his face had resigned himself to a boring stroll in the chill of the evening, he got a text from the good doctor saying he'd found a lead. Redactor was of half a mind to head for Wolfram's last reported location to see if he could help out, but no. His associate was more than capable of following up on his own, and besides, the commotion across the street seemed interesting as well.

"Promising," he said as he walked up beside Malediction. He kept his eyes straight ahead, seemingly engrossed in the fight, and he stood a far enough distance off that nobody would think they were together. "If you can get the story from that guy, I'll shadow the group and see where they are going."

Shadowing the cultists: 8d10o10h8 3 Dex+stealth to follow the larger group and see where they're going. If it's interesting I'll alert the others, otherwise I'll head back to Malediction's location

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

Malediction grimaces inwardly. (His face betrays no reaction, or course.) He was hoping to do it the other way around, but this is no time to argue. It's just one distraught human, nothing he can't handle that. All it takes is a little empathy. He can fake that.

He folds up the newspaper and places it under his arm as casually walks over to the man called Bobby. "Rough night, huh? You look like you could use a drink even more than me."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Dr. Wolfram

The receptionist blushes and begins to bite her lip. "Oh gosh... W-well, you see, you go in the back and then the Incorporator will give you a test to see how disharmonious you are in your life. If you really impress him in your test, you can even get invited to a Gathering right off the bat, instead of taking and paying for multiple sessions to increase your lambency. But don't tell anyone I said that. I could get in trouble."

She looks guilty, but then suddenly blurts out, "So, uh, are you doing anything this Friday?"

Mr. Bright

Your search tells you that fifteen people have gone missing since six months ago. Usually, these people would be abducted while they were on a walk, but two of them were taken from their homes by way of someone picking the lock. There isn't much of a pattern that is evident to you, and there was little evidence left behind at the scene of the crimes.

Roll Int + Computers again to find if there's any significant local event that happened six months ago.

Culp/Redactor

You successfully tail the group without them noticing you. They seem to be doing their best to pretend they never had that argument with that man, but don't say much else of interest on the way there. Eventually, they get to another building a block away and begin waiting there. A man comes out and hands each of them a card of some sort. They seem very excited to get this card. The man asks them about what happened to their other friend, and the others tell him that he has "gone Conventional." The man nods his head and says that he'll report this to his higher-ups, and then goes back into the building.

Malediction

Bobby snivels a little bit, and then looks at you with a bitter glare. "gently caress that, I could use ten drinks right now. My friends just left me and they don't even give a poo poo. Even after what I told them, they still didn't listen. Bet those bastards will take every thing related to me and throw it in the trash after they get done with that poo poo they're gonna go to tonight, if they even come back at all."

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

"I would not dare to get you into trouble, my dear, for your help is greatly appreciated," Herwig says with a kind smile. "As for Friday, we will be having drinks together, you and I. I hear there's this great French restaurant opening up just a few block East from here, apparently their appetizers are sublime and their wine is to die for." He exudes confidence and truly, he would not mind having a date with the young lady. There was more information here, for one, and for seconds, she would need someone to fall back on once they brought this Cult crashing down. She could be his new project, then. "Here is my phone number," he says, reaching out for her hand, producing a pen and scribbling it down on her palm. "Wear something green, it matches your complexion, and go gentle on the make-up, you should not hide your beauty under layers of grime." He winks, folding her hand gently over the phone number and then moves back to his seat, leaving the young woman perplexed. He was being a little forward perhaps, but what else was to be expected of him; he was an older, meticulously stylish man, obviously well-bred and wealthy. He was supposed to be confident, even to the point of being a little overwhelming.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Mr. Bright

Home abductions seem less likely to be random targets of opportunity. Bright digs a bit deeper.

3 successes

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel

(Whoops, didn't see your edit last night.)

A few more marks: Rick Miller, one month ago. Ilaniel trying to play off the interested reporter angle, asking the important questions in between the pointless ones. "Well, I'm just a reporter, but I'll see what I can do. My boss discouraged me from trying to solve the murders---makes the force look bad. Even so, I could ask a few questions..."

"How long had you been dating?"

"Was he from around here? Any family?"

"Did anything change before he vanished? Did he make new friends, start hanging out with a different crowd?"

"What did he do for a living?"

"When did you see him last?"

"Do you have the police report number? "

He worked a bit on his dinner while she filled him in, making it through one of the fried eggs and leaving the other untouched when he realized the yolk was broken and cooked through. Stupid diner. If I had wanted a scrambled egg, I would have ordered one... Even so, he took diligent notes, and at the end of it thanked her for her time. "Let me buy your dinner. It's the least I can do, you being all helpful and everything. If I need to talk to you later, do you have a number I can reach you at?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons

It had been a long day at work. At least that was the impression he was giving out. While his fellow Agents were getting busy Mons took the moment to sit down on a nearby bench. Sighing gently as he settles himself down upon the wood and stone construction. Casting his eyes casually over the crowds of people.

Mons waited.

He wasn't waiting for anything in particular, even if he was he wouldn't expect to spot it. But Mons was a big believer in fate and coincidence.

From his travel bag he pulled a sports bottle of water and took a long swig. The water was luke-warm, flavourless, rather like the people walking by. But amongst all of these sheep was a wolf. Or perhaps a snake. Regardless of the metaphorical animal, predators always set themselves amongst the pray. Something hidden, somewhere from which they could strike. The 'religion' recruiters were an obvious choice and once which Wolfram was already investigating.

Still though, there was always something else, predators hiding behind predators. It was these that Mons was now looking for.

---

Going to be looking for suspicious people trying to act not suspicious.

Wits + Composure, Trained observer (9-again): 3 Successes

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Culp

Redactor found a span of shadows where one of the streetlights had burned out and watched as the group met with the man from the building.

"Gone conventional?" Interesting. It could be nothing or it could be something -- really, only one way to find out.

Culp walked out into the light, affecting a slight drunken stumble.

"I say, young man! Young man!" he called to the nearest in the group. "I'm looking.... for a bar called Wasteland. It's... I was told... it's on... uh... Woodlawn? Do you.. uh... know how to... whoops..."

He stumbled, catching himself with a hand against the young man's shoulder. Unseen by anyone, the other hand darted out and back, quick as sin.

The card, as far as anyone could tell, was still in the young man's pocket. It would only be much later that he would notice it missing, but if it was any consolation, he would also find he was in a position to get a free large one topping pizza and two liter cola of his choice when he purchased a large of any size at Pizza Guys on North Delaware St.

Picking this fool's pocket.

Stealing a card: 8d10o10h8 1

Thanks to Sleight of Hand I can do that as a miscellaneous action and he probably won't notice since I don't think he's specifically looking for pickpockets. Then I'm using Cuckoo's Egg to switch the card for a pizza coupon.

Cuckoo's Egg: 8d10o10h8 1

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 27, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

"Ten, huh? Why don't we start with one and go from there," he says, gesturing at the nearby bar with the words 'Miller's Speakeasy' painted on the window. "We can sit down and you can tell me all about it. Come on, first round's on me."

Manipulation + Persuasion: 6d10o10h8 2

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Mr. Bright

You find out that both of the people abducted from their homes were members of a group called "The New Scientists of the Many-Faceted One." One of them had a public Facebook. Reading through his posts, you can see that he had a falling out with the group and had decided to depart a week prior to his abduction. A further search about the other victims reveals that many of them had criminal records. Finally, a search about the The New Scientists reveals that they had started expanding their influence throughout Indianapolis, including opening up a branch of their church in downtown Indianapolis six months ago.

Ilaniel

"Well, I had dated his cousin, Jack Miller, for two years. Jack's the founder of a local bar, Miller's Speakeasy. Much older than me. Rick Miller, on the other hand, was a punk. Always getting himself into trouble with the law. Couldn't hold down a job, not with his record. Don't think he had any siblings, but his mother's still around. A week before he went missing, he got caught robbing some guy from one of those new religions. New Scientists of the something-or-other. Did you know that the police chief is one of them? Weird, huh. You figure a guy in authority wouldn't mess around with that kind of folk. They must have something to their message, I guess.

"Last I saw Rick, he was at Jack's bar trying to mooch some cash off of him. That was a month before he disappeared. Way I see it, he probably got picked off by a drug dealer or something that he shafted. Shame, but what can you do? You dig yourself a deep enough hole, and the dirt will bury you itself. I don't have the police report number, but Jack probably would. Here's the address to his bar."

She takes a napkin and writes down an address and phone number for you.

Malediction

Bobby wipes his eyes and agrees to follow you in. The bar is modest enough, but nothing special. It seems that the people in here are in the bar more for company than for the booze itself. The bartender, a middle-aged man in a wife-beater with a slight scar over his lip and a tattoo of the anchor, globe, and eagle of the USMC on his left arm, nods at you and asks, "Haven't seen you guys around before. Especially not the kid on the right. You sure he's old enough to drink?"

Bobby groans and pulls out his driver's license. "Come on, man, I've had a hard day."

"Sorry, just curious is all. This is more of a bar for locals than anything. Name's Jack Miller. I run the place. So, what'll it be?"

As he pours a couple shots, Bobby loosens up. Apparently, he had joined up with a group called the New Scientists of the Many-Faceted One a few years ago. After rising through the ranks (and paying quite a bit of his parent's money for the required sessions), Bobby was slated to be invited to a Gathering, an event where those who come out of it attain great success in a rapid manner. He then begins to speak in a hushed tone.

"The thing is, though, I found out something about this. You know there have been disappearances going on around here, right? Well, I know the schedules of when the Gatherings happen; word trickles down and everyone who was a Scientist would gossip about whoever was invited. Every time one was had, one person from around here would disappear. Just gone. And two people who were invited would also go missing. No one in the higher-ups would talk about them, and the people on my level think that they got sent to the Nevada branch, where they're working their rear end off on some ranch due to their failures. But I dunno, man. The timing is just too convenient for this poo poo. And knowing these guys, I'm probably next on their shitlist. So, first thing after I get done is I'm gonna find someone public to sleep, than book a flight back home to Wyoming. They don't have a branch there, so I think I'm safe."

"You said you're a detective, right? Do me a favor and look into this poo poo. Find out what the hell they're doing there, and stop it if you can. Do something, man."

Culp

You successfully perform the swap. Later, the man might realize that he has been duped, but for now, he pushes you and yells, "Get the gently caress off me, you old creep! Go gently caress off and die already, I ain't telling you poo poo."

As the group walks off, you look at the card. The front has the sigil of the group, a three faced man with a crown of electricity and gears surrounded by a forest and a city, and an address and date. It almost seems familiar to you, somehow. The address is around the Wholesale District, although you are not sure where it is specifically. The time, however, is tomorrow night. On the back, it reads, "INVITATION TO THE GATHERING. TELL NO CONVENTIONAL OF THIS. DO NOT BE LATE." A number, 14, is at the top right of the back.

Mons

Your search of the street goes without a hitch. No one appears to be paying any close attention to you. You almost let your guard down when you notice something through the window of the diner Ilaniel and Bright are in. The man sitting to the left of Ilaniel has been sitting there picking at his food for the entire time that Ilaniel was talking to a woman. He slowly reaches into his left pocket, makes sure no one around him is looking, and adjusts something box-like. A recorder, perhaps?

Dr. Wolfram

You fold up the paper with the name, Amy, and phone number of the receptionist. She nods her head enthusiastically with each bit of advice you give her. She speaks up when you mention the make-up. "Yeah, you are right. I used to be kind of fat back in high school, so I'm still really worried about how I look. I guess I was overdoing it because I was so nervous about whether or not I looked alright. Thank you so much!"

You feel a great deal of satisfaction at this. Your quest for a more beautiful world has taken another step, even if it was just a little one. You have gained a Beat and resolved one of your aspirations. You may choose another aspiration the next in-game day.

Eventually Amy looks up and says, "Mr. Wolfram? Your appointment is ready. Step into the back."

As you do so, a large and jovial looking black man walks up to you. He is dressed in a navy-blue suit and shakes your hand vigorously, his other hand clutching a manilla folder.

"So, you must be the newcomer? I'd ask you what made you interested in our group, but the test will answer that. Come on now, follow me to the room."

He leads you to a small room that is painted white and has only a two-sided desk. He pulls up a chair and takes a seat while pulling some sheets out of the folder and laying them opposite of himself. He pulls a pen from his pocket and passes it to you.

"Now, I want you to answer this test carefully and honestly. This is an assessment of your mental state. The discord of living in both a mechanical and natural world does a number on people's minds, but we're here to help. The more truthfully you answer, the more I can help you and set you on the right path."

As you look at the paper, you notice something peculiar. The test itself is reminiscent of a standard aptitude test, but the questions are bordered by a strange series of interlocking lines.

Rolls Wits + Resolve + Primum. Must beat one success. Roll again if you get only one success.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 28, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel

Ilaniel took the napkin as he finished his meal, leaving a few bills on the counter. He rose from his seat and offered her his hand. "Thanks, Jenny. I might give you a call if I turn up anything and I need a quote for the article. Until then, you've been more than helpful. Have a nice evening."

After the handshake, he turned and gave Mr. Bright a long look. Uh, playing with his computer again... And, ugh, the smell of this place. These poor humans, unaware of the war they were caught in. With a sigh, he stepped out into the icy cold of the Indiana winter and pulled out his cell phone. He texted the group. [So, what's the word? Apparently the New Scientists have been abducting people, and they've got their hands in law enforcement, taking vagrants and druggies. Anyone dig up anything else?]

While he waited for a response, he dug around for a cigarette, knowing he wouldn't find any. It's weird, when you inhabit a human's body. You have their addictions, their sensations, even when you don't really want them. Like the never-ending urge for nicotine that had never left him since acquiring Chris's cover.

Another sigh, this one more irritated, and another text. [Anyone find anything I should kill?]

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Redactor

The response came quickly, and in Flemish.

"Interesting. Ran across group New Scientists. Big meeting tomorrow. Nicked invite. Have time/address might be able to forge copies to infiltrate. They seem active in this district. What we look for possibly."

Report made, Redactor decided to give the building a once over. It might be a cult headquarters and thus a good target later on, if Appolon decided these cultists needed to be expunged. He didn't plan on leading the charge when that happened, but every little bit of intel helped.

Casing the joint (wits+larceny) to spot likely security holes: 6d10o10h8 1

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Mr. Bright

code:
19:23:02 "exec summary. new scientists of the multi-faceted ones, fringe religion, est. church /downtown/ 6 mo previous"
19:23:48 "unrelated? string of missing persons of late w/o social safety net"
19:24:27 "link. dissident ex-member recently abducted in home invasion(!)"
19:24:50 "where is moral panic, evening news, hide yr children, etc?"
19:25:10 "p sure theophilus is a new scientist"
Theophilus, "loved by God" and the person to whom Luke and Acts are addressed, was a whimsical code phrase among local Inquisitors for human agents of the Machine. He sent out a reply after perusing Redactor's report- lots of activity around these guys.

code:
19:28:04 "we get a big figure guest alone before the party & i can wear their nametag"
19:28:40 "y'all can be my entourage"
Identity Theft was made for these situations. In a much more formal tone which did not suggest the quirks of a rogue AI long overdue for memory maintenance, Ibro Radmanovic sent a short message to some colleagues in city social work inquiring if they had encountered anything to do with this New Scientists group in their work with marginalized people.

flexing those Allies (social services) dots

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 28, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons

Pulling out his phone, Mons checks through the texts. Up to speed on the current conversation, he decides to add his voice to the fray.

[reporter: man behind you, blue jacket, trying very hard to go unnoticed, box hidden in left pocket. Possibly recording device. Seems very interested in your conversation with the young woman. Has hardly touched his food.]

Mons sent the message in French and continued to watch the man carefully. Worst case scenario he trailed him himself.

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

Herwig shakes the jovial man's hands and smiles enthusiastically. "I am he. Your folder and recruiter got me intensely curious; I am always looking out for ways to increase the harmony with which I interact with my surroundings." Not even that big a lie, for a Demon. After smiling and nodding towards Amy behind the man's back, he follows him into the small office patiently, unbuttons the top button of his jacket before sitting down and casually places one knee over the other, leaning his hands on top, while he waits for the man to unpack his papers. Then he gratiously takes the pen, smiles reassuringly, "I am here for my own betterment, am I not?" and leans forward to fill out the test. His eyes are immediately drawn to the interlocking lines and something within him bumps up against them, almost imperceptibly. His hands never quiver, his brow never furrows, but on the inside, the doctor expends a great amount of willpower to not get caught up by those lines.

I will spend a Willpower point to up my Resolve by two for this test. Wit+Res+Pri+2: 8d10o10h8 3

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel

[Thanks for the head's up.]

Ilaniel grumbled at the nicotine fit he was having, and glanced back through the diner's glass, looking over the older man. He didn't care that he was staring; let the sneak know he was being watched, measured by a monster. He waited by the door for the man to pay his check, flipping through his cell phone while he did. He checked the wire for any new leads, and thought about how he'd pitch this story to his editor. Older man found dead in gangland shooting? Too obvious. Mysterious Fountain Square disappearances claim another life. That one would do!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Mr. Bright

Suspicious person sitting at counter. Ilaniel visible in glass reflection watching and waiting by the door. Effect: old man in the blue jacket walks outside of the diner. Cause: locating a suitably xenophobia-inducing video of an Arabic-language newscast and playing it from his phone while innocently, slightly impatiently waiting for his chili.

Cause and Effect: wits + computer, 1 success

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

"I think I can do you one better," he says as he reaches for a napkin and begins scribbling a contract on it. At a glance his handwriting is nearly incomprehensible, but that is, of course, just to cover for the fact that half the terms are written in Hindi. The part that reads 'do hereby relinquish all association and affiliation with New Scientists of the Many-Faceted One' is in readable English, at least.

"I can make it like you never had anything to do with this group. You can get on that plane to Wyoming without worrying about anyone coming after you, and then you can make some new friends who won't leave you for a cult. All I need is for you to sign here," he slides over the napkin and his pen. "A sort of legal formality, you understand."

I'm giving Bobby +2 to Socialize (+2) and a specialty in Making Friends (+1) in exchange for his cult membership (+2) for one month (+1)

Kinda winging it on the value of a cult membership, but that's easy enough to adjust.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 28, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons

Checking his phone for the reply, Mons smiles quietly to himself. At this time he didn't have many leads to follow. Best he could do was make sure his allies's backs were watched. With the patience of a sniper Mons waited to make his move. He would tail this man, who would undoubtably be tailed by Ilaniel and possibly Mr Bright as well. But who knew who might try and tail them?

---

Going to wait until this guy leaves and then follow him from a distance. Depends on if Ilaniel get's something out of him first.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Just FYI, it's the Many-Faceted One. There's only the one. I catch myself making the same mistake sometimes, though.

Mr. Bright

You pull up a video from a demonstrator in Egypt during the Arab Spring. He is ranting about the lack of freedom of speech and police brutality of Mubaraks's government, but you doubt anyone save for you in this diner speaks Egyptian Arabic. You crank the volume up just a little bit and then bend the strings of causality. The old man looks at you and yells, "Hey, turn that loving sandnigger poo poo off!" Others in the diner look rather upset about what he just said, including the manager. The manager argues with the man, telling him that he can't say things like that in his restaurant and asks him to leave. The old man leaves in a fit, marching out of the door after paying for his food, and begins to head down a nearby alley.

After that, the manager comes to you and begins to apologize profusely to you, telling you that all faith and races are welcome in here, but that you should also probably turn down your smartphone's volume or plug in some headphones to avoid aggravating the other patrons. You agree and slide down the volume. After a while, you get your chili and a text from one of your coworkers in your social service company. Apparently, the New Scientists like to take in people who are loaded with money but aimless in life. For the most part, the majority get suckered out of as much money as possible, but some rise to great heights and come out with quite a bit more money than they had. These people are called the Enthroned, although your acquaintance has no idea why.

Dr. Wolfram

You spend immense effort to stop focusing on the lines. Whatever they are, it can't have been good for you to continue to devote your attention to them. You feel the effect stop after a while, giving you the time to relax. You can't help but think that this was a supernatural attack of some kind that was triggered when you looked at the paper. Now that the strange symbols have stopped wreaking havoc on your mind, you can examine them more closely. Something seems very familiar about them...

You avoided getting hypnotized. Roll Wits + Investigation to find out just what exactly those lines are.

Culp

You sneak into the building. It's a high end apartment building, and not much is suspicious about it from what you can see. You manage to find out where the man who gave out the cards is, however, and his room number, 018. You find that the door is locked by an electric keypad. However, the door itself doesn't look too strong; someone tough could probably kick it down.

Malediction

Bobby reads the napkin and it is apparent to you that he is too hammered to really get what is going on. Still, he does have a question. "I-is this some kind of new age self help poo poo? I already did that poo poo and look where it got me. How can I trust you? I ain't signing it till you tell me."

Roll Manipulation + Subterfuge to seal the deal. Add a dice because you got him boozed up before doing this and another because half of it is in a language unknown to him.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 28, 2014

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

Breathing in slowly, but evenly, to stabilize himself, the doctor wracks his mind to remember whatever these lines meant.

Wits+Investigation: 5d10o10h8 1, in case Eidetic Memory adds to this: Eidetic Memory: 2d10o10h8 2

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Dr. Wolfram

Carefully hidden amongst the lines, you find the written form of your native Angelic tongue. The various interlocking lines were designed to hide these words, which say such things as "TRUTH", "OBEY", "HONESTY", and "CALM". You realize that these test papers are probably infused with Essence to better manipulate humans into being honest. Perhaps it was even a trap to reveal potential demons to the angel. Whatever the case, this is definitely the work of a Loyalist. You pick up your pen and get to work in order to not arouse suspicion of the man (or maybe even an angel) in front of you.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

"It's a contract formally employing my services to prevent this organization from interfering in your life in any way. Part of that includes, from a legal standpoint, a declaration from you not to interfere with them in any way. Like I said, it's mostly a formality, but in my line of work you have to make sure your rear end is covered. And of course I'm taking this job pro bono."

Sign the drat Contract (Manip+Sub+2): 10d10o10h8 3

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Malediction

Bobby seems to relent. "Really? God, you're the best. I can never thank you enough." He puts pen to the paper. The contract is sealed.

Take a beat for accomplishing this, and spend a point of willpower to finalize the pact.

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

Herwig fills out the test with speed and precision, attempting to appear under the effect of the hypnotic effect; no hesitations, no long pauses, just 'honesty'. He skews the test slightly to appear more stabile, more aware of the environment and perhaps more open to outside influence. As part of his 'training' to become a doctor, knowledge about the study of psychology and of the use of standardized tests to obtain an indication of a patient's mental status had been instilled in him. In his current clinic, psychological testing was conducted through interviews, dr. Wolfram liked to meet his clients, but he remembered well how these tests worked, due in great part to the God-Machine programming.

Manipulation+Medicine: 7d10o10h8 3 to influence the test, also activating Efficiency to emulate the results of being under a compulsion spell: Efficiency (Wit+Aca): 6d10o10h8 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Culp

Security, it turned out, was not very tight. Culp only had to mull around outside for a few minutes before someone came out, and then it was just a matter of nodding and holding the door for them as they went out to gain entrance.

There weren't very many apartments on the first floor, so that was pretty easy as well. Culp paused before the cultist's door. Curiosity and caution warred within him.

But no: While it would be a simple matter to gain entrance, lock or no, it wasn't really worth tipping their hand this early. Better to take it in, make plans, and then come back if and when they needed to. On his way out from the building, he glanced around for a directory that might tell him who was living in apartment 018.

"Higher up has light security. Nice building though. Suggests resources. Half a mind to snoop around but that can wait" he texted.

• Locked thread