Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Dr. Wolfram

You hand in the sheet. Your answers to the questions create the portrait of a man desperate and willing to do anything for a cause and one who is more than a little hostile to people outside of his group. The man takes a look at your sheet and seems impressed. "Well I'll be damned. It seems you're nearly flawless! We could definitely use someone like you with us. Stay here for a moment while I make a call."

He pulls out a cellphone and walks out of the room. For a second, you wonder if you had somehow messed up, but he comes back with a grin on his face. "We've decided to invite you to a Gathering. This is a big deal; hardly anyone goes to them, and only five other people in all of our branches has ever gotten invited to one right off the bat. You're special. Take this and go to the place at the correct time. Don't be late, or you won't get invited back at all. Of course, you don't seem to be that type."

You take the card. It has the same logo as before, an address and time for the Gathering, and a number at the top right of the back, 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel
Health: 8, Willpower: 5, Cover: 7 , Primium: 1 , Aether:7

Ilaniel follows the old man, whistling I've Been Working on the Railroad as he turned down the alley after the guy. He makes no attempt to conceal himself, instead walking through the dusk with his hands shoved into the leather jacket. Onlookers might think he was underdressed for the weather, but it was just one more of those strange things he missed, not really being a human. Ilaniel follows the man maybe halfway down the ally, never more than a few steps behind, and he calls out, "Hey, fella. Got a minute there? More importantly, got anything interesting in your pocket?"

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

"Why, thank you, I'm deeply honored," Herwig says with a white-toothed smile as he takes the invitation and shakily puts it in his inner pocket, as if excited. "I'll be there and not a minute late, you can count on me." He shakes the man's hand with enthusiasm and then bids him his farewells. On his way out he winks at Amy, nods his head in gratitude again and flashes her the invitation. "See you, Friday," he silently mouths. He makes his way out of the building, to a decent looking cocktail bar and orders himself a martini, before texting his companions.

[I made it out alive and with an invitation to one of their 'gatherings'. They gave me a test infused with 'loyalist wording', so they're definitely the people we're looking for.]

He then opens the link from the folder to order himself one of the books they were advertising, preferably with the fastest shipping they offered. Though he doesn't seem it, the close encounter of the Angelic kind has somewhat rattled him and he wanted to be as well-informed as was possible, before going to the gathering.

Cambrinus fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 29, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ilaniel

Your words cause the man to spin around. He yells, "Hey buddy, back off. I dunno what you think, but I don't have to answer you." He doesn't seem to be afraid of you; perhaps he doesn't know what exactly you are, or perhaps he's one of your cousins still on the side of the God-Machine, or maybe he's just incredibly stupid. In any case, he is not backing down because of your threat.

Everyone

Everyone take a beat for posting three days in a row. Cambrinus, take a beat for successfully fooling the interviewer. Kellsterik, take a beat for successfully luring the old man to the alley for Ilaniel to deal with.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 29, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons

Mons followed at a safe distance behind Ilaniel. Just another person walking by on the street. When they entered into the alley he paused for a moment. If things started to turn nasty then he could step in. Stop a 'mugging' from happening. Maybe even befriend the man. There would be no way to warn the reporter ahead of time, but he just had to hope the demon would catch on and play along.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Still waiting to see if I could find a name of the guy who lives in the apartment

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

“Prefect.” He takes the contract and puts it carefully in his inside jacket pocket, then takes another napkin and writes the number to his latest pre-paid cellphone. “Call this number if you have any trouble before you get out of town.”

Willpower spent. Will post more this evening.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Culp

You find the name on a directory inside the lobby. A Mr. M. Rosenberg.

Cambrinus, if you want, you can make a Wits + Intelligence roll to find a clue to your next Key, seeing as you did avoid getting hypnotized by Angelic scripture and got a Beat from it.

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

The good doctor put his phone away and pondered his surroundings as he gingerly sipped his martini; being down here with the humans still made him feel out of place. The beauty of his waitress was contrasted by the ugliness of the man that attempted to squeeze her behind; an act perhaps meant to praise her outer beauty, but inevitably to destroy that of her inner soul. The elegance of his drink was tainted by the impurity of the cheap olive brine.

Everywhere he looked there was the potential for great beauty, but almost always it was flawed, just off. That was the God-Machine's doing; it needed humanity in the dirt, fighting for those few scraps of beauty, of satisfaction, of joy they were allowed, even whilst they all, even the drunken man at the bar, were capable of so much more. Perhaps that is what the God-Machine feared, that its ugliness, its emptiness, would be overcome by Man? Perhaps it could merely not abide beauty, because it itself was only capable of depravity?

These thoughts and observations coursed through his mind, yet he stumbled upon one flaw in his reasoning: as an Angel, he had been beautiful. He still was. The God-Machine was thus capable of beauty. Or was the beauty of the Angels merely something for the God-Machine to hoard, to possess so that no one else would. The God-Machine itself did not necessarily create Angels, merely expedite the process. Had the God-Machine merely taken possession of those things it ought not own, in a similar way the contract he had encountered earlier that evening sought to obtain honesty, obedience it did not warrant? What was he to do to break these ugly chains, he pondered. He pondered and he drank, washing away the dirty taste of the brine with the reassurance that at least today, with a little effort, he had made the world slightly more beautiful and, what was more, he had overcome a small link of the chain with his own beauty.

Pondering the world: Wits+Intelligence: 6d10o10h8 3

Edit: Do you want me to ask the questions that the book provides, or would you like this to be a slightly more natural process?

Cambrinus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 30, 2014

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Culp

[Hey Bright] Redactor texted, making his way out the door with the confidence of someone who lived there. [Have name for you, see if you can dig anything up. A Mr. Rosenberg, lives at 1035 Sanders St. Suspect he's Theophilus — maybe high-placed.]

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Seeing as the book wants you to ask the questions in a certain order, I'd go with the questions.

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Righto, question nr. 2 = what attribute does my next Key use?

Cambrinus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 30, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel
Health: 8, Willpower: 5, Cover: 7 , Primium: 1 , Aether:7 => 6

Ilaniel closes on the man and begins to pull on his demonic form. His eyes start to shimmer, and sheet, and fill with bone, and the rest of his skin turns bone-white. The years fall away from his face, and it becomes unnaturally distended, a little too perfect. His height changes, too, and as he closes on the man he gives him a grin of razor teeth. Ilaniel becomes the manifestation of the glory and terror of the God-Machine.

Compromise Roll: 1
(the one I made before, where I forgot to use the max bonus of +5 was a 6, or a '3' if I only count the first nine rolls. Up to you which you want to take.)

He "looks" at the man, bringing forth the aura of sheer, awing power, and demands answers. "You will tell me, you fool, or you will pay the consequences."

Intimidate + Presence (+3 for Glory and Terror): 1 (Glad to see Orokos is being as loving as ever.)

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Mr. Bright
Beats: 2

[will run scent before noses of the hunting hounds of municipal bureaucracy]

If the manager passed by his booth again, or a curious server, they'd get a quietly sincere smile of gratitude that he hoped would buy him a good block of time to ignore his dinner and run a more involved search through social networks, city databases and some confidential files he'd copied to cloud storage unmolested. Just trying to make a sketch from crumbs for now: does Mr. Rosenberg have a job, a typical volunteer position, an office with the New Scientists? Where could he typically be found during the day, especially tomorrow? Any criminal record? Legal ties to other people- marriage, child support, adoption?

Intimate details were more difficult to glean from the sources he had legal access to, but he had hardware of his own for that.

Intelligence+Investigation with Background Check specialty: 1 success. Bright's goal here is to determine how he could encounter this guy face-to-face tomorrow.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Take a condition, Quantum, for getting 1 Success on your Compromise roll. You can choose Guilty, Spooked, or Shaken. If you resolve the condition, you get a Beat. Or, roll for a temporary glitch and get a beat when it disappears.

Ilaniel

Resisting Glory and Terror: 3d10o10h8 0

The man falls to his knees, trying to avert his eyes from your form. He cries, trying to coherently speak. "Wo-woman hired me. S-Sarah, she said. W-wanted to find out what you were doing. Jesus, what are you?!"

He tosses what was in his pocket at your feet. It's a small recording device, as you expected. "J-just take it. Don't kill me!"

He falls to the ground in a fetal position.

Dr. Wolfram

Assuming that you're asking for the second question "What attribute does the next Key use?"

You dwell for a while, thinking about what exactly your Cipher could be. Eventually, you get a revelation out of nowhere. You see, just for a second, the underlying code of your next Key. It's just a small fragment of it, but it's utterly beautiful to you. You realize that, whatever it may be, it is something that needs to be Manipulated.

Mr. Bright

You do a background check, starting by looking through all the Rosenbergs in Indianapolis until you find the one at the apartment. Full name: Michael Rosenberg. Owner of a 5-star restaurant downtown. Formerly Jewish until he met with the New Scientists. Clean record. Confirmed bachelor. Can often be found inside his restaurant during lunchtime.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 30, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons

Oh goodness grief! That had been the last thing Mons had expected the demon to do. Especally somewhere as exposed as just off of a main road in an alley. He abbandoned the stop the mugging plan and started recalculating. What they needed was a destraction to stop any have a go hero stepping in. Unless... That was exactly what they needed. Mind began to move deeper into the alley. Keeping a low profile, they would need supprise to make a quick getaway.

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

The doctor smiles to himself, knowing he had unlocked the next step in the process to making his Hell a reality on earth; it might only be a small step, but he would get there. He keeps slowly sipping his martini as he texts the group once more.

[Are we about ready to meet to discuss our options? Or do we all report back to Apollon separately?]

To distract himself, he attempts to mingle a little at the bar he's in, not really focussing on any specific questions, but checking to see if there's anything else to be gained this night.

Presence + Socialize: 5d10o10h8 0 No luck there. The attempt was mostly filler anyways. Forgot about Striking Looks: 2d10o10h8 1, but I'm happy to just move on!

Cambrinus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 30, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel
Health: 8, Willpower: 5, Cover: 7 , Primium: 1 , Aether: 6, Spooked

Looking down at the pitiful man, Ilaniel gives him a terrible grin. He reaches into the pocket of his pea coat, and begins to look wicked. (assuming 1 hit is a success, I'm not sure). The small, frightening-looking pistol comes forth from the coat, and he levels the pistol on the man's head and smiles. "Where do I find Susan, human?"

While he waits for an answer, he gets Wolfram's text and casually texts back with his left hand, the gun still in his right and still aimed to execute the man. [I'll be done soon. Want to meet somewhere in private? Anyone know a loud club or off-the-path coffee shop?]

The gun is from my Arsenal from my Bolt-Hole. It's a Glock 18, fitted for automatic fire, at 2L damage (one of two 2L damage weapons I can get this chapter). It's unclear if my Arsenal would allow me a silencer on it, but I'd really like one.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 30, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ilaniel

"Susan? What the gently caress are you talking about? Her name was Sarah. Last of, uh gently caress... Nightingale! That's it! Sarah Nightingale! Last met her at my job at Fisk Investigators Inc. Just don't kill me, man! I dunno what the gently caress you are, but I'll stay quiet, honest."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel
Health: 8, Willpower: 5, Cover: 7 , Primium: 1 , Aether: 5, Shaken

Ilaniel picks up the tape recorder, and holds the gun for a few moments more, debating on whether he should kill the man. He looks up and down the alley, spotting Mons walking hurried down it, and rolls his eyes. Here came Mr. Goody Two-Shoes to save the mortal, huh? He shoved the automatic back into his coat, and began to walk the opposite direction down the alley, reaching out and grasping his human form (it's unclear if I need to roll for that). By the time he steps out on the next street, he's once again Christopher Brawlins, Indianapolis Star reporter.

Sarah Nightingale, huh? That might be a problem. A serious problem, really. She knew enough to hurt him, but it would be unfortunate to kill her over it. He should see her tonight, or maybe tomorrow morning, to try to get to the bottom of things. He texted Sarah. [Hey, you busy later? I wanted to talk about a possible interview tomorrow, and there are some details to work out.]

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 30, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Reverting to human form costs another Aether, but takes no roll to do so. Shaken would probably be better for you, as Spooked is usually because you saw something really scary, like a skeleton

Everyone

You decide that it is time to compile your evidence and send it to your Ring's handler. You begin texting amongst yourselves to decide where you will meet. Eventually, one of you will have to boot up their computer and upload the compiled intelligence to the Agency's darknet.

Everyone, take a cover beat for getting through Chapter 1, save for Quantum (as threatening a person with death and transforming into an angel of death is not something middle-aged reporters do, usually). Quantum, take a beat for getting what you wanted out of the old private investigator, and Arashi take one for fulfilling an aspiration and stopping him from killing the guy.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 30, 2014

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram
Beats: 3, Cover Beats: 1

[I would rather meet in a quiet place; a man of my stature does not go to clubs, you see. Monon Coffee Company is always a good option, but there might be less 'public' places.]

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons
Beats: 1, Cover beats: 1

Reaching the terrified investigator, Mons gently attempted to get the man's attention. Assuring him that he was a doctor and that he seemed to be under under the effect of some form of hallucinogenic, as Mons had seen him raving at nothing but thin air. Gave him the address of his clinic to come in for a check up tomorrow and then helped him into a taxi to send him off home.

That could have turned nasty very quickly. Had Ilaniel actually killed the man...

Well aside for drawing a poo poo ton of attention from the gunshot it might have also tipped of the loyalists if they started hearing rumours of a horrific monster murdering people near one of their recruiting hubs. The team didn't need that kinda of trouble yet. Ruined the surprise of multiple horrible monsters murdering a select group of people.

Plus the team didn't need horrific Angel trying to murder them ether.

Later on the texting began. A meeting place to discuss the day's investigations. The Coffee shop sounded good. Just the sort of thing Dr Green would pop into before his shift began.

[Monon Coffee sounds good to me. Anyone else?]

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 30, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
[quote="QuantumNinja" post="425093928"]
Ilaniel
Health: 8, Willpower: 5, Cover: 7 , Primium: 1 , Aether: 5, Beats: 1, Shaken

I can't threaten to kill people as a reporter? I knew I should've been a cop!

Ilaniel begins to head to the coffee shop, contemplating the last few minutes: his camera woman was investigating him, he had almost killed an innocent human, and he had found out these disappearances were getting bad without police intervention. And GOD DAMNIT, why did he want a cigarette? That was the absolute worst, really. Mortal addiction must be Hell itself. He laughed at that thought, heading for the cafe. He kept watching his phone as he walked, waiting for Sarah's response.

[Sounds good, be there in a bit.]

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I may have been mistaken about how soon the creative juices would flow.

Malediction

His business concluded, Malediction excuses himself to use the bathroom. Once there, he's free to check the cacophony of text messages on his phone. Ilaniel tried to kill someone? Typical. He spends a moment contemplating just how much to share with these people. After all, he was only here because Apollon wanted him here, and it's a lot easier to keep tabs on what they're up to if he's directly involved. No reason to give them any more than he has to. Still, if he's going to use this pact to infiltrate the cult, it'd be nice to have backup.

He decides to play this close to the chest. Tell as few as possible. Bright. Mons, maybe.

[On my way.]

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Mr. Bright

He left a generous tip before leaving. Good people. Helpful. Speaking of: [omw. i'll compile data.] Having already brought a clean netbook along in a businesslike messenger bag, and who wanted to fill out paperwork anyway?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Everyone

You arrive at the Monon Coffee Company. The smell of java and mocha permeates the air, as does the voices of a various assortment of people. The establishment here seats people to a table based on when they come in, rather than by group. The perfect excuse for two doctors, a social worker, a reporter, a private investigator, and a bookseller to sit together at a table and talk.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons

Sitting down at the table Mons tucked into a muffin hungrily. Throwing manners to the wind and nearly stuffing his face into it.

Oh gods he loved these things. Or just baked goods in general. Dr Green had come with a sweet tooth. It was no were near as irritating as a nicotine addiction but it was still irritating.

Mons coughs once, wipes his mouth with a paper napkin, and settles into a more businesslike demeanour.

"So, Gentlemen. What do we know?"

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram
Beats: 3, Cover Beats: 1

The Viennese are renowned for their love of coffee, no matter what the hour, and Herwig drinks his black as the night and strong as a young Arnold Schwarzenegger, also Austrian. He's brought a copy of the Wall Street Journal, but leaves it folded in front of him as he 'introduces' himself to the men that join him at the table. He lifts an eyebrow at Mons' behaviour, but then smiles jovially and answers his question. "For one I know it's always a pleasure to meet like-minded individuals at this hour, tell me, what do you think of their new multi-faceted blend? I would dare say it is virtually heavenly in taste. In German we would say: 'Als wenn ein Engel dir auf die Zunge pisst'! As if an angel, excuse my language, pisses on your tongue, a great compliment." He smiles playfully and lifts his double espresso to his lips. He was leaving it to the others to get down to business.

Edit: Missed Arashiofordo, changed a few details!

Cambrinus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 30, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel

Ilaniel has his pad on the table, as if taking notes on the conversation, trying to keep up his cover. Who knew who else Sarah had hired to watch him. While Mons enjoyed his muffin, he grinned at Dr. Wolfram. "I've once heard it said that decaffeinated coffee is the devil’s blend. I had a really interesting interview today: a very nice young lady told me today that there have been six months' worth of disappearances over in Fountain Square. It's been going on for six months, and it might have something to do with a religious group in that area."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

Malediction keeps his head buried in his newspaper, not making eye contact with the others and appearing to any outside observer that he wants nothing to do with these strangers. That, of course, would only be half right.

"I hear might is putting it lightly," he says between sips of his double-shot espresso. "I heard a former member of that group say the disappearances all happened right before some sort of big meeting. Rumor is they were sent of some sort of ranch in Nevada, but you know how rumors are."

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

With his left hand, the doctor seems to quickly scan a few words from the headlines of the Wall Street Journal, before returning to the conversation. "I heard a word I despise, decaffeinated coffee," he says with mock disgust. "Almost as awful as these people disappearing, it is a shame the police is doing nothing about it. I will have to speak with the police comissioner next time I see him at a function, hm?" Another sip of his espresso. "Speaking of functions..." Herwig produces his invitation to the gathering and places it in the centre of the table. "I will be going to one, thankfully I haven't disappeared yet." His voice lowered. "It was very close, I had to take a test rife with loyalist wording. I fooled it, but it definitely tested me." The smile is back. On one of the napkins he sketches out the lines he had observed; it would be harmless without angelic essence, but it was the most definite proof that angels were involved in all this. "Might have even been designed to catch any Unchained..." He whispers conspiratorially, before leaning back and having another sip of his favorite poison.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel

Ilaniel eyes the invitation, sipping his coffee. Lots of cream, lots of sugar---the only way it wasn't terrible. He scribbled down more notes, trying to seem like a reporter getting tips, and said, "That would certainly be a gathering worth attending. Do you think it would be possible to procure more of those invitations? I'd happily pay a small fee for one. I think that sort of party would be a blast."

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Mr. Bright
Beats: 2 + 1 Cover

He listened to Wolfram's testimony with a baleful expression, an overpriced slice of carrot cake sitting untouched before him. After Ilianel spoke, he murmured "excuse me" and lowered his head, reciting a pre-meal prayer in Arabic just loud enough for the others to hear:

"Let me play devil's advocate. Imagine the Adversary knows that there is an agency operating in Indianapolis, but doesn't know enough about them to make a move. It happens to have a cult operating in the city already that is no longer working to its liking, or maybe it establishes one for this specific purpose. It encourages the cult to act more boldly, expand its influence, recruit from the public directly, show its hand with a string of abductions of enemies and people of interest. It knows that this will attract the attention of the local Unchained, but not be so obvious a trap as to alert them. When they decide to attack, its angels will closely watch the battlefield God has decided on- say, this Gathering- but not interfere, because its rogue agents are simultaneously doing the job of its destruction infrastructure AND exposing their tactics, resources and identities in a controlled setting. As an added bonus, in their satisfaction at defeating this stalking-horse, the Unchained will be less suspicious of the better-hidden cults it has established elsewhere. Amen."

Spearing the carrot cake with his fork, he looked at Wolfram. "What if it's a honeypot?"

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 31, 2014

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Redactor

Culp looked up from the book he was reading.

"Why, Doctor. I do believe we have an invite to the same party," he said, showing them his bookmark which was, of course, the card he had stolen from the young cultist earlier.

"Quite, a coincidental that. As the Dutch say (in Dutch)Bright, you're being a bit dramatic. And they say I'm paranoid. "

"No harm in a party, I always say. Especially if you're just there to meet new people. Best way to get the lay of it, a party. I believe the Dutch have a saying about that as well: our instructions are to investigate and report back. Until the group says otherwise, there's no need for anything that tips our hand."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mons

"Ah, but don't the japanese say [we are info gathers not a hit squad. Let's just do what we were selected for and wait until they ask us to break something?]"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel

Ilaniel rolls his eyes, sipping on the small cup of coffee. "Yes, yes, but in Mexico the locals had a saying: Deal with the sapling before you have to chop down an tree."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Malediction

"And in America we have a saying: it's your funeral."

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Dr. Herwig Wolfram

The doctor smiles as this suddenly became an exchange of cloaked sagely advice. "I will be attending the party, because I'm curious what these people are like. Religious fanatics have always fascinated me to the utmost." He puts down his cup and retrieves his invitation. "I got this by paying the man handing out flyers, my reporter friend, perhaps you could do the same, I am not sure. I know you can be quite persuasive, but I must advice you to pay close attention to the test, it is quite strenuous." He tugs the invitation back into his inside pocket. "Now, I believe you should get the story so far to your publisher, to see how you should proceed, yes?"

His eyes turn to Mr. Bright. "I wish to be as cautious as possible, and I fear just a prayer, however beautiful and well-thought out, is not going to be of much use. Though the thought of praying had come to me as well; my parents were religious people you see." That was perhaps a little covert, but the chance of this being a trap had similarly crossed his mind. "There is one way to be certain: to find out if some of the earlier disappearances were known associates of the devil, mhm? If they were, then a prayer is certain to keep us safe. Do we have any names?" If some of the disappearances were acquaintances of theirs, Unchained themselves, it would prove enlightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ilaniel

"Hmm, yes, a, uh... Rick Miller," Ilaniel said, flipping through his notes. "Perhaps I will not pursue an invitation, but loiter a bit outside. That way, if anything serious happens I'll be in a prime spot to get a camera on it and do a live report. Do you know when and where the party is? I'll arrange things with my camera crew."

He again thought If I can still trust my camera crew... But that wasn't any business of this group's, and it was certainly something he could handle on his own. Finishing his coffee, he said, "I can phone this in to the main office, see if they want the full thing in tonight's paper of it they want more investigation first. Now, I hate to ask, but does anyone have a cigarette?"

• Locked thread