Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zydoran
Oct 11, 2005

Valk is for sissies; I pad in style

Former Apple Store Blurb posted:

It is a large adventure at a puzzle!
This game is a game which ventures by the power of a puzzle together with a monster.
I will venture the dungeon in the world and will find out a legendary dragon!
Big thanks to Vanilla Mint Ice and Emalde for their awesome work on previous versions of this OP! thread 1 thread 2 thread 3 thread 4
Credit also to DACK FAYDEN, messagemode1, No Friend of Gravity, Omelette du Fromage, jarch3r, Reiterpallasch and others from IRC who worked on this OP.

Meet the largest-grossing free-to-play mobile game in the world, a crack-laced fusion of Bejeweled and Pokémon available on both the iTunes Store (USA) and the Google Play Store (USA). Non-US people can also play on the US server: Android iOS

Puzzle & Dragons, or PAD for short, is a SOCIAL, FREEMIUM game from JAPAN in which you kill monsters, take their eggs, hatch the eggs and fuse them to other monsters, and then evolve those monsters by jamming seeds and plants down their throats. The main part of this game takes place on a Bejeweled-style board, but you can drag an orb to any location on the board while displacing other orbs to create huge combos. Also the art is rad. Watch it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwn9eGXGNc
(Yes, the US version of the game is in English.)

Intrigued? The puzzle part is pretty neat, but there's actually massive depth to this game. Once the training wheels come off, enemies start showing up in larger groups and hitting for thousands of damage. In most F2P games this is just a bullshit paywall, but PAD is fundamentally different from most freemium games, and it's very possible to get deep into the endgame without spending a dime.

...but yes, there is IAP. You do not need it, but it does speed things up significantly. Try not to spend hundreds of dollars every month.

The resources available to English-speaking PAD players have improved significantly in the past year, but goons being goons we like to think that we maintain

(Click here for THE SINGLE BEST GUIDE if the image doesn't load)

The definitive list of starter gods, current for 6.3. :siren:THIS LIST IS ALWAYS UP TO DATE. IT HAS NEVER BEEN OUT OF DATE, EVER. WE ARE BIG NERDS AND UPDATES TO THIS LIST ARE ALWAYS READY IN ADVANCE FOR ACTUAL GAME PATCHES. YOU CAN TRUST THIS LIST, DON'T WORRY.:siren:

:siren::siren::siren: If the monster you roll from the Rare Egg Machine at the end of the tutorial isn't listed below, reroll! :siren::siren::siren:

• God King Tier: Isis, Horus, Archangel Lucifer
  • Top Tier: Ares, Hermes, Artemis, Freyr, Idunn&Idunna, Freyja, Parvati, Bastet, 'Incarnation of Suzaku, Leilan', 'Incarnation of Seiryuu, Karin', 'Incarnation of Byakko, Haku', 'Incarnation of Genbu, Meimei', Dark Angel Metatron
  • Okay Tier: Persephone, Loki, Archangel Uriel, Archangel Gabriel, Archangel Michael, Kushinadahime, Odin the War Deity (Blue Odin), Archangel Metatron, Baal, Ame no Uzume
  • SAVANT TIER*: 'Incarnation of Kirin, Sakuya', Ra, Umisachi&Yamasachi, Okuninushi
*These four monsters have the most raw power of any leader in the game, but are extremely difficult to use and are not recommended for new players. Keep at your own risk.

In addition to hosting the SA PAD Guide, http://www.padherder.com/ (created and maintained by our own Mad Cow Fred) is the place to find goon friend leaders. If you don't have an account, make one!

The best place to ask questions is in our IRC channel, #pad on irc.synirc.net. The room is always active, and full of friendly whales veterans. This is also the best place to go if you need a specific friend god (like an Amaterasu Okhami) or want to watch :retrogames: during a Godfest. You can even access the channel from a web browser client.

http://pad.wikia.com/ is the English version of the Chinese Wiki. The best source for the newest content, and the first site to post tomorrow's daily dungeons, often up to twelve hours in advance. Maintained by goons. Thanks Cless and Nendil!

http://www.puzzledragonx.com/ is another English database. Has a "friend finder" for those times when goons just aren't enough. Contributed to by our own Unknown_PC!

Zydoran fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
TO EVERYONE WHO WAS IN THE GOON SPREADSHEET:
It certainly still exists, but PADHerder has more or less supplemented it - the wiki we're using for the New Player Guide above has a direct padherder friend finder linking system built in, for instance - so you should make a PADHerder with, at least, your leaders, and then be searchable.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 27, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Hopefully the rest will be imported

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

New thread! Seriously, make a Padherder account; it's more efficient than spamming your friend ID in the thread. (Which, by the way, can we cut that out?)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Karnegal posted:

Hopefully the rest will be imported
In our defense, we didn't realize how tiny that link to the guide looked. We're making a nice big clickable picture button now!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

No Friend of Gravity posted:

New thread! Seriously, make a Padherder account; it's more efficient than spamming your friend ID in the thread. (Which, by the way, can we cut that out?)

Quoting to point out that padherder has some friend finding features now too. Also IRC works really well for getting specific leaders up etc.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The part about rerolling should be larger. It should be the entire OP, given how people never stop coming in to ask if it's okay to stay with whatever it is they rolled.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Potsticker posted:

The part about rerolling should be larger. It should be the entire OP, given how people never stop coming in to ask if it's okay to stay with whatever it is they rolled.
I really, really, really like your style.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I really, really, really like your style.

My favorite is "I read the OP, but I thought it might not be updated so I'm going to ask anyway!"

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Already slipping up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HoneyBoy posted:

Already slipping up.
Next you'll be complaining that we don't still call Hera-is "Arousal Spatula".

Mad Cow Fred
Oct 18, 2010

10% beef, 90% crazy
p.s. we need a logo for the guide wiki - 135x135 (or smaller I guess).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Get Lit?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCTQAKLeMxo

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
How have there been five threads of this anime poo poo

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Just make the OP have "IF IT'S NOT ON THIS LIST REROLL DONT POST ASKING IF YOU SHOULD REROLL" in place of line breaks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Valex posted:

The last thread got three hundred pages in two months!

(two hundred of those pages were friend codes, people asking if they should reroll, and screenshots of not-actually-very-improbable events.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Valex posted:

Good news, Hello Kitty dungeon opens in 3 hours!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I made a new OP for you guys:

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

:gizz: Heeeeeeeelllll yeah new thread!!!!! and girl cats in addition to our cat girls!!! :gizz:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also if anyone is thinking of jumping in: I played this game totally for free for ~7 months, and did a lot of the content in that time. Just because you don't have THE best team for something doesn't mean you can't figure out how to do it with what you have.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You should have used my awesome suggestion :mad:

Ah well, gonna use my challenge stones and not get a girl cat again wooo!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, what's the consensus about rolling Hello Kitty REM if you're starting to play PAD right now? It's not my case, but I see it being a decent idea since it gives you a decent shot at an out-of-the-box (starter dragons take an ulti) 4-2-2 leader in three colors or a 12x almost non-conditional leader if you're really lucky. Might be a good option if you're not willing to reroll for an optimal monster.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Once I get through Challenge Mode, I'll have a bunch of stones, but I doubt I'll roll the REM with them. There are monsters I want, sure, but the odds of me getting them are just too slim. I certainly wouldn't pay money at this point. I would, however, seriously consider dropping some more cash on this game if there were a way I could be more confident about getting something I actually want... Never going to happen, though, right?

Zydoran
Oct 11, 2005

Valk is for sissies; I pad in style

Potsticker posted:

I made a new OP for you guys:

The OP has been updated with this suggestion taken into account.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Probably, but the starter dragon series from the Hello Poor Impulse Control REM are barely better than the regular starters (with exception of the green one, which makes for a decent sub) and I'd still place them behind regular 4/2/2 god leaders like Artemis/Freyja. I'd say that both TAMADRAPurin and Princess Valkitty are good starter rolls. In the case of Valkitty, you'd have enough offense to power through most early dungeons even off of unskilled goblins and carbuncles, and by the time you hit Castle of Satan you can start max-skilling orb changers off of survey dungeons and hopefully roll for better subs.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

So, what's the consensus about rolling Hello Kitty REM if you're starting to play PAD right now? It's not my case, but I see it being a decent idea since it gives you a decent shot at an out-of-the-box (starter dragons take an ulti) 4-2-2 leader in three colors or a 12x almost non-conditional leader if you're really lucky. Might be a good option if you're not willing to reroll for an optimal monster.

If the reroll dance is too :effort: for someone, sure, the kitty REMs are passable. But they're okay tier at best; someone settling for them will be worse off than someone who grinds through for one of the upper tier gods. Also bear in mind that the event REM monsters require evolution as well; you won't circumvent the need for pumping evolution mats into them to reach their full potential.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zydoran posted:

The OP has been updated with this suggestion taken into account.

I approve. The OP is now 500% more informative! :toot:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

EDIT: Disregard, Zeus is beaten.

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 27, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If I enter a dungeon with increased drop rates on something, and then I go do something else and the time on the increased rates runs out, do I still get the good drops or is it based on completion time?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

If I enter a dungeon with increased drop rates on something, and then I go do something else and the time on the increased rates runs out, do I still get the good drops or is it based on completion time?

Your drops are defined when you enter the dungeon, so I'm guessing you'd still get the increased rates.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

AnonSpore posted:

all the drops are set when you enter the dungeon

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwDDzquEeIk

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

I like everything about this

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

you dont even play the game anymore

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Karnegal posted:

I like everything about this

Why does it have Isis when Bastet clearly outclasses her. More like "the single subpar guide". :smaug:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Do Wood Starters really not get Super Kings two days in a row now?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Alright guys. I've been playing for a while. Can't beat Hades in Tomb of the Saint - Deep.

I'd appreciate recommendations for a team.

If you want to throw any 'you should do X' next advice my way I'd appreciate it as well.

Collection:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Helical Nightmares posted:

too much nonsense

Put your poo poo into padherder first; if you can't take the time to do at least that, don't expect anyone to have the patience to go through all your photos to give advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Use a Green Odin friend or a Lucifer friend.

• Locked thread