Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have a very solid feeling that the mechanics will change to where every ship can be fully crewed by NPCs except for your character, and will add to the costs of running the ship. Your friends will be able to possess them when needed, then back to where they were after.

The thing is no matter how much a monkey is paid, people won't want to spend hours on someone else's ship staring at a console screen.

Everyone wants to be a captain.

So no matter how much Chris Roberts wants to have a ship with a PC crew it's just not going to happen in the end.

Actually multi-crewing is the main reason my fiancee and me are interested in this vapourware. While War Thunder wants to have multicrewing in "sometime in the future". SC is planned with it in mind. If it becomes as good or (hopefully) better done than in WWIIOL, then we'll fly 90% in MC ships. Preferably the Super Hornet or Cutlass. Semi-agile ship + competent turret gunner = Teamwork is OP. Bonus: If the turret gunner gets the kill credit; extra pubbie tears will be extracted by "randompubbie has been killed by Tank Girl Barbie".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Considering this is dogfighting in SPACE, we can assume that pubbies will act similar to their behaviour as observed in War Thunder. Just with less gravity and drag involved. 90% 95% eh 99.99% of all pubbies WILL accept a head-on attack against heavier armed and armored planes vehicles space dongs. If they can't head-on your bomber space dong, they'll trail behind and will play follow the leader. So install big guns to the front/rear and have modular shields (all power to the BUTT) to protect your rear end (literally).

One thing is certain: while CR might still decide to run for the Bahamas, pubbies will always be pubbies.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
There is new artwork on the RSI site: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13559-PC-Games-Gallery

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Long Anwser: Please read the OP.
Short Answer: No.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well the Citizen Cards were sent out at least once now. There might have been a second wave (or more) up to this point. There have been used as "access cards" for events (offline naturally). I guess their support might be able to tell you when the next wave will go out. Most physical products (USB sticks, game disks, soundtracks) will only ship once the game is "released" - NEVER.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

notaspy posted:

You can do that?

Yes, you can "melt" anything down and use the "store credit" to rebuy higher tier packages. Until they disallow that, but that will be announced before it happens. They do have a good customer support. So buy the cheapest package and wait for the dogfight module. Keep in mind that ALL package ships will also be available with ingame currency! You don't need to buy any ship for real money. You just need to "buy" into the game. Or pre-pre-pre-order it; and the cheapest package is a fair deal in that regard.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Keep in mind that (so far) playing through Squadron 42 (Singleplayer) will net you some starting money and in addition to that you'll be able to take a loan for your first ship. (This might change over time). This makes ownership of any ship a sweet bonus. It ain't more than that, though depending how good/bad you're at videogames this might make it easier to get a better ship/equipment.

Anything beyond the most basic package is just Pay-to-Advance.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Want to enlarge your Idris? Click here to give CR ALL your money.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well in MWO the opfor had Alphabetical identifiers (from A to L). Calling targets in mumble with the Nato alphabet was actually helpful, though not a requirement for relaxed play. If a game doesn't have an easy way to assist each other this can be used to designate targets. War Thunder on the other hand has an easy to use radial menu to designate targets/communicate.

RSI mentioned that they want to have some Command & Control options for bigger Ships (or as a role for the second person in the Super Hornet). This could be a nice way to "organize/coordinate" fights. Though if you don't want to fly with that hassle that will probably fun too. They did mention in the newest WMH that small groups/solo players will have their own role/niche as will bigger corps. Unless RSI fucks up :D.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Proper comm discipline in MWO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w13_uTNW7cc

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The Retaliator will be available for ingame currency. As every other fake Spaceship. Though you might have the option to further support CR's coke habit this game in the future.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Allen Wren posted:

There had better be goddamn cloaks for my shoulders.

Cloaks, Capes, Fedoras, Bunny Hats, Dark trenchcoats, sunglasses are all part of the 42 to 50$ Million stretch goals. Also Katanas! This post is a complete lie.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Those are not the instructions you are looking for. Take these:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Constellation redesign confirmed, also bits and pieces on the architecture in SC (buildings)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pxlhEUFUPw

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
~68% of 439 Pubbies think that the Idris shouldn't be flyable by a single person. If you agree or disagree you can vote here (or not): https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/110937/idris-corvette-viability-as-a-solo-ship

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well I personally expect them to hit 50M at the end of this year (or earlier) and this game will certainly also sell "regular" copies. IF/WHEN if goes "gold". A price between 40 to 60$ and at least a million copies sold would but additional "gold" income at about 40 to 60m $$$. So their overall budget should cover the cost of 200 employees for some time.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
As far as I understood it, the delay was because they didn't want to waster ressources (OUR MONEY!) on throwaway content/systems.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Skoll posted:

Don't forget that half of SFD probably bought into STO lifetime.

Edit:

What I'm saying is, we're all gullible dumbasses.

I guess some of us overlap with a certain group of people who spend more than :10bux: on forum access and lovely avatars and stuff.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
How PGI develops MWO: The new UI 2.0 is designed for a resolution of 1024x768. Seriously!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Stuff about the HUD: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2083500/#Comment_2083500
This section contains threads in which Developers from SC answer all your lovely questions: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/categories/ask-a-developer

quote:

I think you're underestimating how much information there is to display. E:D's cockpit isn't "realistic", it's drastically simplified so that they can fit it into that tiny space, and even then they didn't - you have more screens you have to look away from the action to use, which is decidedly UNrealistic, as no modern fighter (or any fighter in history I'm aware of) would display information in such a drastically inconvenient way. Remember, my last job was actual future military UI, I'm here because I know how these things work.

We have PAGES of information available just for combat mode. An overview page, ship status, weapon management, shield management, energy management, targeting information, warning systems, radar displays... all of that needs to be easily accessible while remaining legible and uncluttered.

HOWEVER you are NOT always going to need a helmet. In ships like the Hornet, it makes sense to expect one - it's a dogfighter with nothing but a single pilot seat for accommodations. Whether you choose to do so or not, it was never designed to take for a relaxing spin without a flight suit and helmet - it was designed to kill. Ships like the Freelancer or the Connie on the other hand ARE intended for extended civilian travel, not to mention operation by a crew. There's more space for HUD planes and more people to divvy up information. It makes sense to be able to operate them without a helmet, and in a lot of ways an HMD is actually impractical for them, so their user interface will work differently.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Current exmaples of E:D UI - also Multiplayer video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDWnBJYTFgs

That is a basic HUD, similar or less than most shooters have. That's not hard to beat in terms of information presented. Neither the CIG Dev nor I said anything about a minimalistic HUD being BAD.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

WW2 in space is something I absolutely loath, but as long as the game turns out to be fun to play I won't complain. So I let this argument drop, we have just have different opinions and leave it at that.

If you dislike WWII in space; think "X-Wing vs TIE Fighter" just worse.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

8astard0 posted:

Wow that does look like fun. I might have to try that game out.

Enjoy yourself: https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dangerous-premium-beta.html/

Premium Beta: 167.26$ (100£)
Regular Beta: 83,63$ (50£)
PreOrder (release=never): 58.54$ (35£)

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Uba Stij posted:

I got death threats from people who read the piece I did on the Grey Market for TheMittani.com,

WOW, that nearly makes me want to write for TMC again, I just know I won't have the time. :/ So much hate.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Booblord Zagats posted:

Connie is the better name for this

You're talking about the ugly box Mary Sue?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
That's pretty easy. They'll convince themselfs that the goon in question was probably an alternate account. Which naturally was being used in a nefarious scheme of some kind. No guilt, no worries but lot's of mental problems.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Yeah and the "invite a friend to your hangar thing" is part of the Social Module. I wonder if that will be locally hosted or on a RSI-Server. Considering that you'd be able to eventually enter and lift off with someone else ships (with permission of course), it would make sense to do it on their server. Planetside would simply be an extension of that, just a different map and more people.

Apartments will hopefully a crossover of Star Wars Galaxies functionality with Anarchy Onlines system of instanced housing. So you'd be able to rent a room/apartment in a Tower overlooking the landing area. So they'd only need to do one map to service both aspects, at least for starters. And being able to freely place stuff in your personal mancave.

It would only be necessary for them to create the empty rooms and leave decoration to the players. Less draining on the art team. They'd just create the assets and CiG would "just" have to develop a soft core toolkit (place and move stuff) for players.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Zeike posted:

You will now have to deal with his disciple

I'm tempted to make a reference to Mini-Me.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I cannot wait to see how terrible goons will be at this game. My guess is that Retaliators will be great for giving everyone a chance to gently caress things up with all those turrets.

The Idris can do that AND goons will crash their Hornets Bees into the Idris from within, while trying to take off.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

bukkits posted:

So how does Goonswarm plan to deal with the semi instanced nature of the game?

Look at this guy! He thinks there will be a game anytime soon. The game will be delayed to 2017. It is known.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hopper posted:

Who is this man and what influence does he have he wish he had on my experience of flying my currently non-existing internet spaceship at the end of an undisclosed waiting period of possibly infinite duration?

Be declared war on Goons, because a non-goon liked his previous nickname (Al Bexter) to the Character Alan Bester (Psycho). He was offended and raged at the other poster. Demanding an apology and stuff, because e-honor. Goons made fun of him for flying off the handle. And thus war was declared!

Afterwards a member of his org created a PM chain (more than 300 accounts) and 3 banned crazies from their Org.

E: beaten x2

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
They should have named it "Dogfighting special: Behind the scenes of DFM" to avoid confusion.

Communication is Key.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

MagicBoots posted:

Shamelessly stolen from the War Thunder thread:

It supports both mouse/keyboard and joystick controls. Guess which one everyone uses (unless forced in certain game modes).

Both modes are actually viable in the middle game mode in War Thunder (Arcade, Realistic and Simulator Battles). It's just that mouse aim is a lot easier to use, but the Joystick is better for fine movements (don't confuse it with aiming) and offers more control over the plane. Albeit Joystick user face some risks (stalling) which mouse aimers doesn't have to contend with. Though the advantages of Joystick use come only into play in the upper "skill" range. Playing smart + Teamwork have a greater effect on your win/KD ratio than the control method.

Teamwork will probably OP in SC. Install it, if the game comes out.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
And as in all previous Wing Commander games: sound effects are horrible. Except for the wing tip guns, those are just average.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^
Release is intended to be when Hell freezes over. OR once CR manages to find someone to create the game for 1$, so he can safely run off with all our money. Though we might be able to fund a Hotdog Cart for CR in the mean time.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
No matter if SC turns out to be good or bad, there will be a strong flow of tears and poo poo. Also HI to all GBS posters coming over and posting bad troll attempts :). To everyone being too positive about SC: Go visit the GBS thread.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^^^

To top it off the guy working on THAT is their community manager :psyduck:. Ah welll, what could possibly go wrong...

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I personally would like to see those $$$ numbers. But I guess most companies don't want to make them that public (and open to critic).

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Quickpull posted:

I thought you said you were going back to poo poo posting in GBS

I hope he stay, getting new topics on SC in this thread is pretty welcome in my opinion. Even if I'm not fully in agreement with what he posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

I suppose he turned out better than lots of the other 90s "prodigies"? That's not a very high bar to pass, though. Also he does have a history of abandoned projects in both the film and video games industry so it is probably prudent to be skeptical about him.

My fiancee did actually play the old Wing Commander games and according to her they were subpar compared to the X-Wing/TIE games. So maybe SC might be bad too. Though SWG- Jump to Lightspeed wasn't good either. But at least they managed to have multicrew vessels.

• Locked thread