Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

FuriousGeorge posted:

For me, the most important aspect of getting that Might & Magic "feel" right is filling the world with all sorts of weird little encounters that really encourage exploration. To anyone who's played it, how is this game on that front? I've read complaints that the world is kinda bland, but could really tell if they were due to "generic fantasy" :argh: or the world being relatively empty.

Mechanically, it plays more or less like Isles of Terra/World of Xeen, plus some modern conveniences and some more interesting spell effects and combat. It doesn't have any of the old sci-fi weirdness, and while there is a sense of humor to be found, it isn't as front and center as it has been in past games. The UI isn't perfect, but if you can stand the one from the older games you aren't going to have any issues.

I think this game is a really good come back for the series. The combat on warrior difficulty requires more than just mashing an attack key or spamming the same spell over and over. Some fights are unwinnable if you do not pay attention to positioning, or ignore the secondary effects on some of your spells (That first ice attack spell is goddamn life saver) and while it is missing the soul of the older games, maybe this one will sell enough to see some follow ups produced that bring back some of that old charm. Even if it doesn't, there really aren't many dungeon crawler games like this out there, and while it isn't the best game I have ever played, I am still really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

The world of Xeen games are great and play exactly the same as this. The only difference is that you will have to switch to 100% keyboard only control. I mean, it does have a mouse, but its a total waste of time.

Go loving play Xeen right now. Xeen is like this game but 2 to 3 times the length and with way more character and fun.

And with a godawful interface, but an outstanding game none the less.

Play it on Warrior difficulty though, Adventurer is way too easy.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
The thing with Xeen, is that Adventurer mode, just triples your melee/missile damage (or something like that) so it actually breaks the game, and makes magic almost pointless since it does not get the same bump. You can't really screw up a character's development as they just level up. The only character building that you might goof, is distributing the stat boosts (which are all found or granted as quest rewards), but there are poo poo loads of those, and several that only work on characters with low stats so it isn't hard to correct in the long run.

• Locked thread