Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Geop posted:

Awesome OP :golfclap:

Running with a Crusader, Blade Dancer, Rune Priest, & Shaman. Pretty good so far, but I'm half-tempted to restart after about three hours in. I've kind of been blindly jumping at stat allocation and skills, but I'm having second-thoughts on some skill points thus far. Then again, I'm only level 5 or so :psyduck: Haven't hit a wall per se, but I just feel like I might have wasted some points.

Skills are weird because you get so many points, but it feels like you don't. As long as you're still able to GM your weapon (or spell schools) of choice and Two-Handed/Dual-Wielding if you need those, along with armor if that's your thing, everything should still be okay. I have some dubious skill choices myself, like giving my Barbarian warmaster when all I use it for is shattering, but he's ready to GM spears and two-handed as soon as I finish off his promotion quest so I'm not too worried. Now I just need to find that stupid air shard so I can get up to the quest area. :v:

On the topic of spell schools, Earth is ridiculous for dealing with trash. I love poison so much, and Acid Splash is great for things with high armor. My Runepriest is focusing on Fire/Earth magic and it's giant explosions of fire and acid all day, every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Geop posted:

Well, I've got Swords to Master on my Blade Dancer, but I'm suddenly really feeling the itch to try daggers :staredog: Think I'll forge ahead and start working on daggers. At the very least, I've got sword to Master as a utility of sorts (ie: awesome weapon drop).

On the topic of blade dancers, does anyone usually bother with upping their medium armor skills, or do folks typically zip in to dodge and leave them in light armor? Tempted to raise medium armor to avoid the made-of-wet-paper-character conundrum.

I took medium armor to expert because it does provide a pretty substantial bonus to armor value, and now I'm working on getting Evade up however high I can get it with the points I'm going to have left. Although, looking back I could probably have eschewed armor altogether on him and just stuck with robes and GMing Evasion with points in Endurance to give a buffer to HP. Either seems viable.

How have swords been working for Bladedancer? I went straight for daggers because they become a giant fountain of damage numbers really fast-- the jump in damage from novice to expert dagger is enormous. I'm curious how their other option balances out hitting harder but fewer times.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FuriousGeorge posted:

For me, the most important aspect of getting that Might & Magic "feel" right is filling the world with all sorts of weird little encounters that really encourage exploration. To anyone who's played it, how is this game on that front? I've read complaints that the world is kinda bland, but could really tell if they were due to "generic fantasy" :argh: or the world being relatively empty.

There's lots of little things to find, but they lack the campy charm of earlier games. Obelisks are back, there are chests that require you to solve riddles to open them, there's lots of tombs around that have puzzles inside that will yield relics when you solve them, and there are caves with rather challenging unique monsters inside guarding caches of loot. Dungeons are fairly large and have a good amount of secrets, provided you have either a Loremaster or a Freemage to find them with. Monster design and the world in general is kind of bland, although having played lots of Duel of Champions it's nice that they kept the look and feel consistent between the two games. One dungeon in particular felt like I was fighting through my own Necro deck and good god is that what I've been doing to people this whole time I'm a monster.

One thing the game does very right in respect to the older ones is not holding your hand about where quests send you, and quests that will take you to the far end of the map from where they were given. A big fear of mine through Act 1 was that everything was going to be very compartmentalized and local since you're stuck on a small portion of the map for the entire duration, but pretty much as soon as you finish that up the rest of the world becomes available (to a point: you do still need to obtain certain abilities to reach places) and quests will start sending you further abroad to get them done, often with only vague clues as to where to go and no giant markers or anything of the sort. Usually they'll indicate a town you need to go to, and all of them tell you which specific region the goal is in, but from there it's up to you to find out how to complete it, most of the time. It really encourages exploration and poking around the world. The setting itself is boring, but honestly I've never found M&M's plot to be overly engaging. The background is kind of cool and the concept of devils and angels actually being very advanced aliens was interesting at the time, but it always felt like more of a prop to support the real meat of the game, which was dungeon crawling and loot gathering.

My big gripe with the game is a lack of hirelings. There's one or two of each type squirreled away somewhere, I miss being able to hire randomly generated people off the street to give me bonuses, although in a modern game that isn't using the exact same pixelated model for every townsperson that's not very feasible.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Unoriginal One posted:

Bit late, but for those who were wondering whether or not to pick up Medium Armor for their Bladedancers, stick with Light; there's a relic light armor that gives a rather nice boost to both Dual Wield and Dodge. It's in a shipwreck south of Karthal, you can get there without much difficulty as soon as you grab the water blessing.

Well now I feel like a dip for investing all those points in medium.

Now I just need the water blessing! Where ever that is.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

^^^ I completely forgot about dinoman's bomb-rear end glasses. Dude's got a good optometrist.

Most people complaining about the bland world seem to be primarily complaining about the lack of sci-fi stuff, but honestly getting the blasters in 6 and 7 was boring as poo poo, since it turned everything into running around in realtime mashing the A key to victory if you chose to specialize in them. This in no way excuses the hilariously bad writing in X, but it's really nothing new.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 29, 2014

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Druid has served me extremely well, GM Earth with Master Light as backup is an amazing healing combo, and Nourish is too good. My Runepriest has Regen as a backup option but she rarely ever has need to actually use it.

My melee are also Barbarian and Bladedancer. Barbarian started out really slow but is not reliably taking off 1/4-1/3 of an enemies HP a hit, and Bladedancer has been ridiculously good for some time now. I desperately need some relic daggers though, I haven't been able to find any no matter how hard I look.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I'm in the same boat with Mercenaries. I understand that they were trying to go for a Jack of all trades (grand) master of none feel with them, but you get such a massive bonus when you GM a weapon or style that I can't help but feel they'd be underpowered in the end. Especially when Crusader is right there in the same race and seems like a much better choice.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mirthless posted:

Narrow class variety and only 4 characters. I didn't like that part of the games either, for what it's worth.

I love VI and VII to bits, but I would have loved if they had the six party setup that the older games had. Narrow class choice doesn't bother me as much, because a few of the classes in Xeen really blended together and felt kinda samey if I recall correctly. But it's literally been decades since I played them, and was about 7 besides, so I could be wrong!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

dhamster posted:

Along the same vein, is it ever worth pumping Destiny? Maybe with a dagger blademaster?

After I got my melee to a decent amount of perception I started doing 2 might/1 destiny/1 vitality every level, sometimes 2 might/2 destiny on my dagger blademaster. I ended up with 25-30 perception on both of them, which was enough to open all the secret doors I found requiring it, and though I started missing more in the final dungeon I had relatively few problems in the rest of the game. You would probably also want to put more points into destiny for a mace user, since they stun on crits, or an axe user for additional bleed procs.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, I'm still kind of set on mace for my Barbarian so I was considering how many points I wanted to put into destiny. How does destiny help dagger Bladedmasters in particuluar, by the way?

Daggers attack an astounding amount of times per round, seven when you GM both daggers and dual-wielding. Higher destiny means that many more crits on your blender of attacks.

On the secret door front, the symbol that lights up when you look at the door determines what stat you need to open it. The crack is might, the gears are perception, and the circle with a dot in the center is magic. There's also an element of randomality to them as well, you can fail multiple times and then open it successfully with the same character.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

alarumklok posted:

Daggers have the benefit of much more damage from mandate of heaven or agony, and they eat blocks for the rest of your swings or any of your other characters. 7 swings against 4 block attempts is at most 4 blocks and 3 hits, followed by unblocked allies. 3 sword swings is at most 3 blocks, and 1 block left over for your hunter to whiff to. Swords get two relics, which do more much higher base damage than daggers. I'm just about at act 4 with my second party, which features a dagger blademaster, and he's still hitting things for half their health, so if it does fall off, it's got to be like at the last dungeon if at all.

It really doesn't fall off at all. Daggers are ridiculous, even without relics.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ineffable posted:

Thanks for the help, guys!

Right now I'm thinking for my casters I'll try a druid focusing on earth and water, and a freemage focusing on air and dark (with a bit of primordial, fire and light between them for resurrection, identify, etc.) Does this leave me with any major holes in my party's spellcasting? Will my druid have a decent offense with those two schools? I'm not expecting them to be a great nuker, but I'd like them to have some sort of offensive option.

How necessary is mysticism for casters? I assume I'll want it at a decent level, but is it necessary to go all the way to GM on a druid?

In addition to having one of the best healing spells, earth has some great offensive spells in Acid Spray and Poison Cloud, so they should be fine for damage. I only took water to expert on my first playthrough but it's got some good stuff later on too, like the spells that lower the amount of strikes an enemy does, and of course Liquid Membrane for awesome damage reduction. I would recommend getting expert fire on your Freemage for Burning Determination, it's a godsend against pretty much everything. Since you're also getting prime to expert, don't forget to snag Dispel Magic.

As for Mysticism, I took it to GM on my druid because having to stop to quaff a potion might mean one of your other party members gets knocked out or killed if you do it at an inopportune time and can't reapply a buff. With that and a couple MP boosting rings I had nearly 500 MP when I beat the game, which might be a tad excessive. I would definitely put some early skill points into it though, since it's been stated multiple times that getting your casters to 150 mana ASAP is the best course of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yaws posted:

This is driving me nuts. How do I get past the lighthouse? I went there, killed some monsters, wiped on the third floor and came back only to be told by that prisoner to come back when I'm ready? What does he mean? Don't I need to finish the lighthouse quest to advance?

Did you kill Mamushi at the top? If not you need to like the quest says, there's a teleporter on the third floor that will take you to him.

• Locked thread