Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

This is a game I'm working on with a small team. It's for Windows, Mac & Linux and was originally based on an awful mash-up gag game I did a while back. I've been working on it mostly-alone on and off for about a year, but we've recently kicked into for-reals development and are aiming for a beta release in a couple of months--but you can play an early demo right now. I mean, if you want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dAopQAQYs

The idea is that you'll be able to use a familiar interface (Minecraft-style block placement) to build FPS maps from terrain/props, weapons, enemies and level elements inspired by classic FPS games like Wolf3D/Doom/Quake/Goldeneye and Turok (there's dinosaurs). Also the team took a vote and we ended up with stuff like Tron, BioShock and Halo as well.

You can string together a series of levels with some sort of story to make a single-player campaign, or a co-op map, or a multiplayer arena, then you can share it with friends or the internet in general. There's a simple trigger/channel system that lets you set up traps and make weird logic for puzzle or gimmick levels if you want, but nothing more complex than that: no scripting-type stuff, everything is block-based.

Or you can just play other people's levels, and never build anything at all. I'm hoping to have a huge number of multiplayer modes like Timesplitters or Halo so there'll be lots of reasons to kill people. If you're more peaceful you can join your friends in collaborative multiplayer creative mode instead, and let them hog the credit for the cool poo poo you build.

I'm the designer and programmer for almost everything besides the level database and lighting system, so if you hate something it's my fault. I'm also doing the sound effects.

It has pretty cool music by BoyVsBacteria:
https://soundcloud.com/blowfishstudios/bierenstein-side-b
https://soundcloud.com/blowfishstudios/tremor-type-b
https://soundcloud.com/blowfishstudios/bathyscape-side-a

Theme Packs
The game content will be organised into packs, each of which contains a bunch of weapons, building blocks, special elements (traps/teleporters/jump pads/doors etc), player models and enemies inspired by a particular game. They're meant to be totally interchangeable parts so you could say take the submarine-like bulkheads from the BioShock-inspired pack and combine them with computers from the Quake-inspired pack and a starfield skybox from somewhere to make a rusty hulk of a spaceship. Then fill it with velociraptors and demonspawn or whatever.

The plan is to have a bunch of theme packs in the first release and then keep making as long as people are playing the game. We'll probably charge a buck or two for later ones, but your first few are free. (Or you'll probably just be able to "buy the game" and get everything forever, none of this is really certain yet.) Note that you never need to buy anything if you just want to play levels and don't care about building them or using the cosmetic player models in MP. As long as you own all the packs used in a level you make anybody will be able to play your level, and when you invite people to help you work on your level in multiplayer creative mode they'll be able to use whatever packs you have.

Weapons
So far there's about 36 planned weapons which range from railguns and cerebral bores to freezethrowers and laptop turrets. I've tried to include every iconic weapon from these games that I could think of without getting too nuts and forgetting the workhorses like tommy guns and super shotguns. Since that's a lot of ammo to keep straight we decided to go for an ammo pool system where most weapons (with the exception of melee types and consumable weapons like grenades) use varying amounts of one of three ammo types: metal (red), chemicals (green), or energy (blue). It's pretty much the same as Doom where different weapons shared your Bullet or Cells pools.
Right now I'm keeping ammo limits pretty tight to keep things moving in multiplayer. Let me know if you hate this I guess?

Check out an early demo
This is real early but I've got a build for you to try out some creative mode and deathmatch gameplay.

Windows, OSX and Linux builds available on this downloads page from now on.

Known issues with this version:
- Player animations are kinda wonky due to blending issues. It's in the pipe.
- Weapon feedback is kinda weak right now. Muzzle flashes/fist animations don't appear in third person, and I think there should be clearer feedback when you're damaging somebody.
- When you first join a game in progress you might not see other players' current weapons right away.
- Sometimes you spawn underground when you first join. Respawns will be fine. I have no loving clue what is up with this.
- Lag compensation is currently basic, and works well at lower pings with the tradeoff of occasional weirdness particularly at higher latencies.
- Rounds don't always end. A new round should start after someone has achieved (currently locked to) 25 frags, but this doesn't always happen. Not that it matters much.
- Several weapons are still a work in progress and have a number of minor issues.

If you spot something new please let me know either in the thread or via PM. Thanks!

Right now I'm especially interested in latency. We're using a weird cloud server setup for multiplayer and I'm not sure how consistent it is, especially for regions other than Asia (we've done all our testing on Asia only). Feedback is appreciated! Let me know how the game felt and what kind of ping you got on your nearest server region (there's a counter in the lower-right of the screen). Note that the reported ping isn't really your actual ping but I'll be able to interpret it. Anything below 300 is usually good.

Further info
If you want to follow development you could try my twitter: @theradix
Or check the website (playgunscape.com), but it's pretty WIP right now. Feel free to poo poo up the forum though.
Or just keep an eye on this thread. I'll keep posting builds as I have them.

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
The lack of bunny hopping is truly saddening. There isn't too too much to say about this, from the couple of minutes I played of it. It feels really bland and basic (yeah I know, early demo) like I'm basically playing an even more simplified Quake Live, but I could see some really awesome poo poo spawning from the construction aspect of it if this gets enough attention. Other then that, the ping/fps was pretty perfect from what I noticed.

Gonna be keeping an eye on this project.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

I have not played it yet but this looks awesome. It looks like the editor from timesplitters future perfect on steroids crossed with minecraft.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Babyface Mingo posted:

The lack of bunny hopping is truly saddening. There isn't too too much to say about this, from the couple of minutes I played of it. It feels really bland and basic (yeah I know, early demo) like I'm basically playing an even more simplified Quake Live, but I could see some really awesome poo poo spawning from the construction aspect of it if this gets enough attention. Other then that, the ping/fps was pretty perfect from what I noticed.

Gonna be keeping an eye on this project.

That's actually about the best I was hoping for with this build and being compared to Quake anything is great. Thanks for trying it out! (I think I spawn-killed you a couple times.)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Definitely feels very Quake'y, I dig it.

Managed to lock it up by rocket jumping, though. Kinda weird, guess I found a bug!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The Radix this looks so freaking amazing. :allears:

I'll have to try the demo after work!

Populon posted:

I have not played it yet but this looks awesome. It looks like the editor from timesplitters future perfect on steroids crossed with minecraft.

Yeah, Timesplitters was my first thought too.

And I would love more timesplitters style ridiculous action.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Shalinor posted:

Definitely feels very Quake'y, I dig it.

Managed to lock it up by rocket jumping, though. Kinda weird, guess I found a bug!

drat that's a completely new one, assuming it wasn't just coincidental. Were you playing offline, online in an empty room, with yourself in a second client, or with other people when it happened?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I really love the potential this project has. How many of the weapons are included in the demo?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
There's four (it's a relatively small map) not counting fists, all from the Quake-ish pack. I think there's eight or ten fully implemented in total right now, and a bunch more waiting for me to get around to finish setting them up. I'll try to include some or all of the rest of the working ones in the levels that'll be in the next build.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This looks awesome. And judging by what you've said (and the screenshot) it looks like level creation is even simple enough that I could actually do it. I used to love making levels for Duke Nukem 3D but every other FPS I've liked seems to have a level editor that I just can't get my head around, so I'm pretty keen to see more of this to find out if I'll actually be able to do stuff.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
New build is up! Most of the new stuff I wanted will have to wait until Monday thanks to a holdup with the new menus that would let you access that stuff, but there are a bunch of fixes and proper deathmatch mode ready to go in so why wait?

I also recorded a fantastic 8-person game where I show off my wicked sick skillz but I forgot to capture the sound :negative:

v0.1.4694
Download Windows version: (Dropbox, 31mb)
Download OSX version: (Dropbox, 32mb)
Download Linux(???) version: (Dropbox, 34mb) (totally untested!)

Important changes in this version:
- Deathmatch rules enforced: frag limit currently locked to 20.
- Raised player limit from 5 to 12 slots (you'll be able to choose this yourself very soon).
- In game chat! Press enter to start/send.
- Now catches mouse better when you alt-tab back in.
- Raised FOV a little in preparation for an adjustable FOV setting.
- Lots of weapon fixes and tweaks: rocket launchers are now pretty viable!
- You now get credit for kills with all weapons.
- Turns out someone had broken the server selection drop-down! Now it's fixed. I think we were all actually playing on the US server when I thought I was testing on Asia, so maybe latency issues aren't as bad as I'd thought? I'm still very interested in feedback on this.

Tiggum posted:

This looks awesome. And judging by what you've said (and the screenshot) it looks like level creation is even simple enough that I could actually do it. I used to love making levels for Duke Nukem 3D but every other FPS I've liked seems to have a level editor that I just can't get my head around, so I'm pretty keen to see more of this to find out if I'll actually be able to do stuff.

Thanks! And I definitely had (in my case) Doom in mind, remembering back when everybody dicked around in the level editor making dumb little things that could be stupid, but still really fun, because it was totally okay to make abstract levels and the constraints of the engine made sure what whatever you made would still be Doom. Creative mode in Gunscape is even easier since you're just stacking blocks (worse case: clicking a block a couple of times to change its trigger channel and starting enabled state if you're setting up doors or traps) rather than extruding shapes from line segments. Obviously that's somewhat more restrictive as well but on the other hand there's no learning curve if you've ever played a Minecraft. Everyone should be able to make stuff!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
This seems absolutely loving wonderful to play with.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Hah, I didn't realize it at first but it looks like you put a pic of yourself wiffing the poo poo out of a BFG shot in the OP. Nice job. :v:

but seriously this looks like a great fun time and I'll try it out when I have the opportunity. If I do, the Linux version will get tested (poorly).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Temor B Side on the soundtrack totally sounds like the main theme from Quake. And that is awesome.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Radix posted:

This is a game I'm working on with a small team. It's for Windows, Mac & Linux and was originally based on an awful mash-up gag game I did a while back.

I'm still saddened to this day that you didn't name it Mein Kraft. This looks pretty great, though, and potentially a lot of fun to tool around with, especially with some friends on board.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dAopQAQYs
Finally capped a decent video of the MP gameplay. This took like a week between me being an idiot and server issues. Starts off a bit rough, but the ping settled down nicely after a few minutes and we had a great 9-player match (which I won by cheesing it up with the BFG).

Also: new demo build! This one's a pretty big update.

v0.1.4736
Download Windows version: (Dropbox, 55mb)
Download OSX version: (Dropbox, 55mb)
Download Linux version: (Dropbox, 57mb)

Important changes:
- 5 new player models. A space marine, two dudes from a Turok-inspired theme pack, a WW2 lady, and Unnamed Block Mascot Character.
- Lots of little netcode optimisations, I still haven't gotten around to movement compensation, so players still jump around sometimes. Note that if you start out on a server with bad ping give it a few minutes, I think there's some load balancing voodoo in play.
- Players now hold/aim their weapons correctly again, this broke last version for reasons I've bitched about a bunch already on IRC.
- Weapons fired by other players now display muzzle flashes/animations appropriately.
- Some dumb placeholder announcer has a couple of lines.
- Two new maps, including three new weapons: the freezethrower (still kinda WIP), the concrete saw, and the electric trap-laying harpoon gun.

The available maps are now:

DM02, the first available map, featuring the hotly-contested railgun in its temple and brutal battles for the BFG at the top of the central tower.

DM01, a small duelling map meant for 2-4 players inspired by the Q3 map DM17.

NCC88b, the labyrinthian nazi starship. Built mostly from the Wolfenstein-based theme, it also features a few blocks from the Portal-ish, BioShock-ish and Quake-ish sets.

Limerick posted:

Hah, I didn't realize it at first but it looks like you put a pic of yourself wiffing the poo poo out of a BFG shot in the OP. Nice job. :v:

but seriously this looks like a great fun time and I'll try it out when I have the opportunity. If I do, the Linux version will get tested (poorly).
Yeah I've got this bad habit of always aiming away from my target with the BFG, because I've spent so much time testing it by deliberately aiming away from enemies so I can see the electric arcs it throws at them clearly.

Whoah.

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 8, 2014

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
For some reason, the Windows build lists no levels when I go to host. I can host on linux and join from windows though. I tried to check what was happening in Process Monitor and it seems the game is looking for AppData\LocalLow\Blowfish Studios\Gunscape\GameContentCache but never creating it. I compared it to the corresponding folder on linux and the linux version puts a whole bunch of files under .config/blahblah/GunScape that never get created on Windows. I tried moving the game to a different drive and running as administrator, doesn't seem to help.

Also I can report the game works pretty well with Tridef3D's Rift plugin and the default profile.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Fib posted:

For some reason, the Windows build lists no levels when I go to host. I can host on linux and join from windows though. I tried to check what was happening in Process Monitor and it seems the game is looking for AppData\LocalLow\Blowfish Studios\Gunscape\GameContentCache but never creating it. I compared it to the corresponding folder on linux and the linux version puts a whole bunch of files under .config/blahblah/GunScape that never get created on Windows. I tried moving the game to a different drive and running as administrator, doesn't seem to help.

loving wonderful. The game should be checking that location, not exploding if it doesn't exist. I'll have a stab at fixing this today and then I'm gonna stab someone on Monday. Thanks a lot for the find dude.
For now, simply creating that folder should probably fix it. Despite what the linux version does it isn't an important folder. nope actually a couple of other bugs in play.

edit: I've bunged together a windows version fix, it's currently uploading but should be available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/960gahnsquakic7/Gunscape%200.1.4736bw.zip in an hour or so (my connection always sucks on Saturday mornings for some reason). I'll edit the above links when it's up.

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 7, 2014

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

The Radix posted:

loving wonderful. The game should be checking that location, not exploding if it doesn't exist. I'll have a stab at fixing this today and then I'm gonna stab someone on Monday. Thanks a lot for the find dude.
For now, simply creating that folder should probably fix it. Despite what the linux version does it isn't an important folder. nope actually a couple of other bugs in play.

edit: I've bunged together a windows version fix, it's currently uploading but should be available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/960gahnsquakic7/Gunscape%200.1.4736bw.zip in an hour or so (my connection always sucks on Saturday mornings for some reason). I'll edit the above links when it's up.

That fixed it, thanks!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I like this so far. Can't wait for more feature (especially build mode) to be implemented.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Would anyone get upset if I brought over maps from Call of Duty?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Agoat posted:

Would anyone get upset if I brought over maps from Call of Duty?

You'll have to build everything yourself so go for it. When we make creative mode available and turn on online level sharing I expect to see a lot of maps based on peoples' favourites from other games, which would be awesome because it means people are trying to share something they have a great fondness for. Also, maps that are a majestic forest of blocky cocks: same thing.

Dragonmaw
Mar 3, 2010

Dr. Funk's
House o' Love
I am excited for this here game of guns and scapes.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Dragonmaw posted:

I am excited for this here game of guns and scapes.

Thanks for the help playing it just now: you probably didn't know this but you were a giant three times taller than everyone else (your hitbox was normal-sized though). I think it's a windows-only issue because people use that model all the time when the team plays.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
New build is up! This week for me has been mostly about bugfixes and getting creative mode into a better state. It's looking good so hopefully next week you should be able to create your own deathmatch maps (singleplayer and co-op will be a little while yet, mostly because I have a huge backlog of new blocks/enemies/special elements that aren't fully implemented yet) either alone or in a collaborative multiplayer session. You can jump in and out of action mode while editing to test your level/shoot each other a bit on the fly.

I've also been looking into the netcode a bit and think I can do some major optimisations next week, along with finally finishing the lag compensation.

Tested a bit of co-op:

v0.1.4755
Download Windows version: (Dropbox, ~55mb)
Download OSX version: (Dropbox, ~55mb)
Download Linux version: (Dropbox, ~57mb) (Linux version may currently crash when hosting or joining but you can try the maps offline at least.)

Important changes (mainly minor fixes this week):
- Invert mouse, mouse sensitivity, world FOV and viewmodel FOV options now present in the settings screen.
- Timer fix for the concrete saw weapon in the starship map, so it should be useable now.
- Chat should scroll correctly (sometimes messages were disappearing too quickly when the chat box was nearly empty).
- Placeholder punching SFX replaced: you can now hear when you're hitting someone versus whiffing.
- Audio now plays during deathcam.
- DM01 was meant to have ambient music, now it does.
- Some shader fixes for Windows builds.
- Mousewheel now does the same thing as Q. A proper weapon swapping UI is coming, I promise.
- (Lots of fixes/some new tools in Creative mode but it's not quite ready yet.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Radix posted:

Tested a bit of co-op:

I'm guessing that level is from your Bioshock inspired tileset? :allears: love it.

Also hell yes t-rex :black101:

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm guessing that level is from your Bioshock inspired tileset? :allears: love it.

Also hell yes t-rex :black101:

Yep, that level is mostly made from the BioShockish set with a few other blocks mixed in.

Today is screenshot day:

Hoping to get all these guys into the demo build a short while after we unlock Creative mode for everyone.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
You stole this idea from my Minecraft mod.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

circ dick soleil posted:

You stole this idea from my Minecraft mod.
I invented video games.

Here's a gif I've been meaning to make about one particular block type: window blocks.

Window blocks are more than just a cubemap; they act like a scene with a skybox camera so they can contain animated elements (there's meant to be sharks swimming around in this one but it isn't quite finished yet) and parallax effects. With most window blocks, neighbouring windows merge into a single long window.
By choosing a different window scene from your world skybox you can have effects like a player starting off outside on a planet surface before getting teleported up to a space ship which uses windows that show a starfield rather than sky. Or you can set your windows and skybox to the same scene to allow for impossible mazes or architectural tricks like having a clear view of the sky in a room that has stuff built over it.

In update news, this week was super busy with non-dev stuff (crowdsourcing campaign crap) but I'm hoping to get the new version up Monday--I was aiming for Friday but we had to hold it back a bit so the guys can get online level sharing working. Which isn't really strictly necessary, since you've always been able to host your maps for people to join even without the level server, but it'll be nice to have.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Hey! :siren: We just went live on Kickstarter! :siren:

After working on this thing for a year, often alone, sometimes with the help of a great team that does really radical work way beyond what I've been able to do in my games in the past, this is a big exciting thing. I'm wicked nervous, and hopeful, and invite everyone to have a look and share it with others if you think it's a cool thing. I think it's cool. And I really want to see what kind of cool stuff people make with it. Thanks!

And thanks so much to everyone that's helped out with ideas/suggestions/bughunting and playing in all those deathmatch testing sessions. Especially the great #SAGameDev people who have been really supportive and made me feel a lot less nervous about all this poo poo.

Check it out here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1786613985/gunscape

(Posted w/ Shalinorpproval.)

To go along with this we put up a new build last night--this time you have access to creative mode, meaning you can build, host and share your own maps (albeit in a clunky prototype version of the menus/level browser which'll hopefully be replaced over the next few weeks). Currently you're limited in the blocks you can use, which is mainly a time thing--I should have time to start importing all the new blocks that have been made and start setting up all the special elements (traps etc) from the unimplemented theme sets that have been created soon.
Also, you're still restricted to deathmatch when you host a game: other MP modes and singleplayer/co-op will still be a while. However! You can host a multiplayer creative game and edit maps with buddies right now, and jump in/out of test mode to shoot each other as much as you want, which is pretty fun.

Windows version
Mac version
Linux version - Untested

Remember, this is still a very early version, and the first version to feature map editing. The interface and creative mode/editing tools have a long way to go. I'm also gonna keep fixing little bugs nonstop this week, so silent updates with non-breaking improvements are likely to happen periodically from this point, but the game itself should pop up with an alert that an update is available if we do anything major.

Here's a couple of the new maps that happened yesterday. Killing people on a map made by someone else for the first time was kinda rad:

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 25, 2014

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Just played a good chunk of 2-4 player deathmatch with Radix (in which I brutalized him) and even in this early stage the demo is really satisfying. There's a nice diversity in weapons, including several that provide increased mobility allowing for fancy aerial maneuvers. Picking up a railgun and gibbing opponents at the apex of their boost pad jumps felt fantastic! I'll have to give the map editor a whirl and see what terrible garbage I can produce.

I'd recommend getting a few friends together and checking out the demo with them, it's already a good time and I have no doubt it's going to be absurd with continued development.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trying out creation mode for a bit, there's at least a couple of annoyances for me:
- No aiming reticule, it's hard for me to determine exactly how much to move the mouse to point at the block I want to
- The block picking UI (opened by Tab) feels weird, scrolling with scroll wheel is extremely slow, scrolling by holding down middle mouse and dragging is awkward, the way the "hotbar" (?) cycles when you select a block is hard to work with (why does it cycle at all?)
- The box that pops up on Esc can only be closed by a click on the X button, please make Esc close it too!
- Texture alignment issues because some blocks seemed to have taken on a random rotation, or perhaps were rotated depending on my looking direction when I placed them, that made the floor texture discontinuous and I had to manually rotate the blocks to align things
- When rotating blocks to fix those alignment issues, the large "selection box" (?) rather got in the way, it was laying exactly on the edges I needed to inspect to check the texture alignment
- Some of the blocks are almost too bright to work with (screenshot, which also shows the previous point somewhat)
- Where does the light come from? I built an enclosed box and when entering testing it still was well lit, although not fullbright as in the editor mode
- Do the point light and spotlight blocks even do anything? (And can the spotlight block really only be aimed in four directions?)

Re. the last two points, I did a bit of level building for Quake 1 and 2 back when, and setting up lighting was one of those things I really liked. I think it will allow for much greater variety of levels if you can give full freedom of lighting, particularly also control of making darker areas.

Edit: Things don't save when you do "single player" creating?

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 25, 2014

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Thanks for the feedback. The editor interface (and main menu stuff, too) is very prototype-y and honestly pretty crap right now. We're starting the process this week of designing proper new UI for everything, which will include a separate settings screen for creative mode that'll let you set preferences for cosmetic things like a visible reticule toggle and block highlighting style along with keybindings and FOV settings etc. which are separate from your action mode preferences.

Regarding lights, what's there at the moment is really just the lights which were implemented while testing the lighting systems. I want to have a better way to set global directional lighting strength and direction, and an interface for adjusting the colour/intensity of point lights you place so we don't need a million different light blocks in the menu.
We'll also add in anti-lights soon. This'll make it a lot easier to make dark areas on an otherwise brightly-lit map.

I'm not clear on the function of the existing point/spotlight blocks: the lighting stuff was pretty much the one in-game feature I'm not responsible for coding, but I can ask about it in the morning.

You'll have to bear with me as to the current selection of blocks in the creative mode toolkit. I've been pretty flat-out and I didn't really have time to curate it much for the build... there's a lot of new content that needs to go in there as well, I'll try to get on top of that this week now that the KS campaign is finally up.

Single-player creative mode should save fine, I've used it recently myself. Is this something you can reproduce? We're still nailing down server issues, so it might have been a one-off glitch, but I'll definitely get that looked at.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I can't help but think it's a shame you didn't use something like the Sauerbraten engine. It's a lot more flexible while still being easy to use.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Radix posted:

Thanks for the feedback. The editor interface (and main menu stuff, too) is very prototype-y and honestly pretty crap right now. We're starting the process this week of designing proper new UI for everything, which will include a separate settings screen for creative mode that'll let you set preferences for cosmetic things like a visible reticule toggle and block highlighting style along with keybindings and FOV settings etc. which are separate from your action mode preferences.

Regarding lights, what's there at the moment is really just the lights which were implemented while testing the lighting systems. I want to have a better way to set global directional lighting strength and direction, and an interface for adjusting the colour/intensity of point lights you place so we don't need a million different light blocks in the menu.
We'll also add in anti-lights soon. This'll make it a lot easier to make dark areas on an otherwise brightly-lit map.

I'm not clear on the function of the existing point/spotlight blocks: the lighting stuff was pretty much the one in-game feature I'm not responsible for coding, but I can ask about it in the morning.

You'll have to bear with me as to the current selection of blocks in the creative mode toolkit. I've been pretty flat-out and I didn't really have time to curate it much for the build... there's a lot of new content that needs to go in there as well, I'll try to get on top of that this week now that the KS campaign is finally up.

Single-player creative mode should save fine, I've used it recently myself. Is this something you can reproduce? We're still nailing down server issues, so it might have been a one-off glitch, but I'll definitely get that looked at.

The saving thing, turns out I hadn't noticed the Save button at all. It was rather the fact that you don't get a notice about things being unsaved when you quit, that put me off.

For lighting, instead of having anti-lights, can you consider having a toggle for maps to use "default lighting" or "custom lighting", default lighting would be something like the current where you don't have to bother setting up lights ("newbie mode"), but custom would have everything be dark until explicitly lit. I did some more testing and at least the colored lights in the Fortress tileset do have some effect.
(Also on lights: Please also have light-emitting surfaces, i.e. lights that don't just come from nowhere, but things like lamps inset in the ceiling etc.)

Lastly, and this may be too much to ask, but are you 100% set on the "pixelly" aesthetic? I understand you want to call back to Minecraft and "retro" games, but honestly the whole low-res textures with no filtering rather turns me off. It was fine as a gimmick for Minecraft but it gets tiring when everyone starts doing it. I'd really like to see at least some tilesets using high-res, filtered textures and high-poly models.

(I should try to dig out the Quake 2 mapmaking tools again. I remember having lots of fun with the radiosity lighting it did.)

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
I think we're honestly pretty locked into the art style at this point! Minecraft's approach and most of the aimlessly "retro" games that do chunky pixels look like garbage imo, but we worked hard on our aesthetic.

As I said, you'll be able to control the direction and strength of the default lighting, and simply turning the intensity to 0 there would be the same thing as your "custom" suggestion. Anti-lights are gonna be a useful thing to have, it's just another optional tool that I can see being pretty handy. (Also there are a couple of light-emitters right now: I think the Bathyscape has a wall light and a bright chandelier thing, and a computer with a subtle green glow, and Tremor has a ceiling light and a pylon thing that emits blue light.)

SwissCM posted:

I can't help but think it's a shame you didn't use something like the Sauerbraten engine. It's a lot more flexible while still being easy to use.
This was discussed for sure early on but there are a couple reasons I didn't want to go that way:
  • Cube 2/Sauerbraten already exists and does its thing, and you can use it if you want.
  • An editor of that style isn't particularly difficult to use, yeah, but there's still some sort of learning curve and I suspect the curve is greater if you know absolutely zero about how polygon graphics work. On the other hand, I wanted to see what would happen if you gave people an editor they pretty much already know how to use. (Assuming everyone's played Minecraft/whatever.) Along these lines you can build a decent-sized map out of these blocks in a couple hours, which I think is an important consideration too since not everyone will be willing to devote multiple days to a level.
  • and I might totally be wrong about this, but you know how sometimes constraints can be really liberating when you're creating something? One of the reasons that you don't see finely-tuned Doom-style levels much anymore is because it's hard to constantly iterate your level design once you go past a certain level of intricacy in the detail that needs to be built and maintained with every change, and people often don't whitebox out their maps. I'm hoping that by giving people licence to be abstract they'll be able to be more focused on how fun their maps are, or how much fun they're having editing in co-op with a buddy, and that the game will be more welcoming in general.
That said I do have some tentative ideas for an advanced surface editor for advanced users, but it's a long way down the track.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
After a lot of fiddling (and a depressing amount of work lost on a multi-level Bioshock type map) I can't seem to save any edited levels. If I make a new level in single player editing mode, put down some tiles, then save and exit at best I'll see a blank map with a timestamp of the original creation date in the list, though sometimes not even that. Please fix I need to make terrible boost maps!!

Edit: This is with the latest two versions 2.4814B and 2.4814C, and with running the program as administrator on Win7 64.

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 25, 2014

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Everdraed posted:

After a lot of fiddling (and a depressing amount of work lost on a multi-level Bioshock type map) I can't seem to save any edited levels. If I make a new level in single player editing mode, put down some tiles, then save and exit at best I'll see a blank map with a timestamp of the original creation date in the list, though sometimes not even that. Please fix I need to make terrible boost maps!!

Edit: This is with the latest two versions 2.4814B and 2.4814C, and with running the program as administrator on Win7 64.

Shiiiit okay, I'll be in the office in an hour and we'll figure this out. I might need your help a bit to find out exactly what's going on; I'll be in touch.

edit: in the meantime, try waiting five minutes and check your levels list again? I remember something about levels not always showing up right away earlier but I was told it'd been fixed.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Is there going to be a way for people who own the game to upload their own weapons, models, or environment blocks? I know you mentioned a server for levels specifically, but I didn't see anything about how modifiable it would be from a user standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Beast Pussy posted:

Is there going to be a way for people who own the game to upload their own weapons, models, or environment blocks? I know you mentioned a server for levels specifically, but I didn't see anything about how modifiable it would be from a user standpoint.

I can't promise anything, but it's been discussed as a future possibility. The goal at the moment is just to build a huge library of assets for people to use in the theme packs, since that's the main thing you're buying when you buy the game, but if possible I want steam workshop support for custom models and weapons at the bare minimum. And then custom blocks/props tied specifically to your account, somehow. Non-core features like this are way off though.

• Locked thread