Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Everyone who knows anime knows what Dragonball is, and if you don't there's plenty of people here who will gladly explain everything over 8000 times.

Interesting Dragonball News:

More of the Bardock saga, possibly:

Viz is releasing an English version of the full color comic:

The Buu saga is coming to Kai, supposedly:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-23/australia-madman-ent/dbz-kai-buu-saga-should-come-in-2014

Akira Toriyama recently did his "final" full manga as he's retiring. It was called Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. This is important for DB fans, it's not being translated very fast by scanlation groups, but it actually IS related to Dragonball, but to say how will spoil it.

It's really hard to find translations of it, only the first two chapters were done by scan groups and put online:

http://www.manga2u.me/Jaco_the_Galactic_Patrolman/1/01/

If you can understand Japanese, read it and marvel at Toriyama's final drawn contribution to the DB universe.

Some good resources for fans:

The wiki, which has every obscure fact ever:
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

For good DB news:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/

Dragonball Abridged, which everyone already watches and if you're not, you should be:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Good fan manga:

Dragonball Wrong Time. Art is ok, but the premise is pretty interesting.

http://selphiesk.deviantart.com/gallery/28191285

Dragonball Multiverse. The writing is a bit weak but the art makes up for it:

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-0.html

Dragonball AF by Toyble. Sort of a self-aware parody of all the Dragonball AF rumors over the decades.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/toyble/
Translations: http://desirecampbell.com/projects#dbaf

This fan artist managed to turn this into a real career doing the manga for the Dragonball Heroes video game:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Heroes:_Victory_Mission

Dragonball Who wants to be a superhero? Slow to update but is pretty funny:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17272

Thread will be updated with Dragonball news as time goes on.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm almost eager to see what other craziness they can add to Bardock's life. Is he going to become the Forrest Gump of the DBZ universe?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Oh man I had no idea they were doing more stuff with Bardock. I can't wait to see how horribly stupid and retcon-y they can get.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Ugh. Episode of Bardock was the first time I was completely disgusted by something Dragonball. And that's taking GT into account. Pass.

Bardock's story was told. Now they're entering fanfiction territory.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That bullshit in Abridged with the purple aliens being the distant descendants of belligerent killer were-monkey men was totally made up by Team Fourstar, right? Right?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Last Celebration posted:

That bullshit in Abridged with the purple aliens being the distant descendants of belligerent killer were-monkey men was totally made up by Team Fourstar, right? Right?

Those guys are the Plantians.

They live on Planet Plant, which eventually becomes Planet Vegeta a gazillion years later.

Plantians lived there in their little cave race. Then, eventually, the planet had two dominant species, the Tuffles and the Saiyans. The series has contradicted itself because some people say they both always lived there, but then later accounts say that the Saiyans came later and conquered the Tuffles and took their tech as well.

Dragonball mythology is a bit mired here, because this means the primitive Saiyans somehow came from another planet to conquer them. Given the Saiyans' savagery, it's never really explained how they got the tech, though it would be easy to fanwank and say they stole it or Freeza found them and tested them out on Plant.

So the Plantian bug-heads either:
-Evolved to become the Tuffles/Saiyans
-Were wiped out by the Tuffles
-Were wiped out with the Tuffles by the Saiyans
-None of the above, they just went extinct on their own.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 28, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
A while back I read a halfway decent fan comic called Dragonball Z Elsewhere that was about Yamcha, the series' favorite punching bag. After extensive Googling and Archive.org'ing, I could only find a French translation of it. I love stuff like this and if I could read moon runes I'd probably explode over all the doujinshi available.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
One thing I forgot to mention but I edited into the OP:

Jaco The Galactic Patrolman.

Akira Toriyama did another manga recently, officially his final one since he's retiring from the daily grind.

The reason why this is interesting is because it ties into Dragonball. To say more will spoil the entire Jaco series.

You can read the first two chapters in English here:

http://www.manga2u.me/Jaco_the_Galactic_Patrolman/1/01/

However, finding the rest in English online seems really hard, I think maybe because Viz Manga got the rights to release it.

It features a scientist named Omari, who is the bald man here in Toyble's clever fanart, which is linked because it's a spoiler and gives away how the series is related to Dragonball:

http://i.imgur.com/HAChh2f.jpg

The reason I can't give too much about the plot is because even little details will ruin it, but if you don't mind being spoiled and don't want to wait, here is a massively spoiling image about how it ties into Dragonball:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CLa_QA4R-PU/UkQmKXtGcWI/AAAAAAAAJnI/CRdelgsP1Jo/s1600/Schermafbeelding+2013-09-26+om+14.03.46.png

If anyone can help find the series translated beyond the first 2 chapters, that'd be great! Otherwise, there is a supposed bundled version of all chapters being released in April, perhaps it will be scanned then.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 28, 2014

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Yeah, Jaco got picked up by Viz and ran in the English Shonen Jump. I think it's been too long to go back and buy the back issues, just have to wait for the collected edition.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Ohh, I like all the fan DBZ stuff in the first post. Gotta take a look later.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I love that Toriyama's artstyle has never changed, never massively better or but never worse. :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just as a reminder, today is the release of Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z for PS3, Vita, and 360 in North America. It's the newest DBZ game and its big feature is you're able to have a team of up to 4 people and this team can consist of any character. These characters including 4 Gokus (All different forms), Freezas, Cells, etc. It's also going to feature Bills and Whis from the new movie, so if you want to get a hear of their English voices for whenever Funimation dubs the movie, it'll be there. There's a demo out if you want to give it a shot, it's basically like the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast games in that's a 3D style, although it's presented more as a beat 'em up style game than a fighting one. It's okay from what I've played of the demo, fights are pretty fun and hectic when you've managed to fill out both teams and the game has a ton of characters for you to mess around with.

If you have a Vita you can get it for about 31 bucks this week.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 28, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Just as a reminder, today is the release of Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z for PS3, Vita, and 360 in North America. It's the newest DBZ game and its big feature is you're able to have a team of up to 4 people and this team can consist of any character. These characters including 4 Gokus (All different forms), Freezas, Cells, etc. It's also going to feature Bills and Whis from the new movie, so if you want to get a hear of their English voices for whenever Funimation dubs the movie, it'll be there. There's a demo out if you want to give it a shot, it's basically like the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast games in that's a 3D style, although it's presented more as a beat 'em up style game than a fighting one. It's okay from what I've played of the demo, fights are pretty fun and hectic when you've managed to fill out both teams and the game has a ton of characters for you to mess around with.

If you have a Vita you can get it for about 31 bucks this week.

I didn't even know this was coming, so thanks for the heads up!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

DBZ owns everyone loves DBZ

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ha, that Wrong Time comic is actually pretty neat. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
OP shouldn't it be over 9000 times?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

funkybottoms posted:

Translation error, thank you very much.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

Wow, pleb spotted. :getout:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

Clearly your power level isn't high enough XD

It was supposed to be 8000 but for some reason was translated as 9000

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably going to pick up the game today.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

ChronoReverse posted:

Clearly your power level isn't high enough XD

It was supposed to be 8000 but for some reason was translated as 9000

Wasn't it lip flap ADR reasons? I don't know the full Japanese sentence, but what I've heard is that 9000 fit Vegeta's mouth movements better or something.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Well, "eight" is "hachi" and "nine" is "kyu". I don't see how lip flap sync would be the difference here.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ChronoReverse posted:

Well, "eight" is "hachi" and "nine" is "kyu". I don't see how lip flap sync would be the difference here.

8000 is "hassen" though. Really. It was just a bad translation, since 8000 and 9000 have the same number of syllables.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Late 90s translations were hardly the best in the business and we've come a long way with it since then. Funimation used to be a small company with only so much talent which is why you have ADR director Chris Sabat voicing half of the cast and the myriad of translation issues like Over 9000 and Gohan being 11 by the end of the Cell Saga. Now they put out one of the best dubs DBZ has gotten in the Kai dub and Freeza no longer sounds like chain smoking granny.

Also yes, I know the Ocean Group did the Over 9000 thing originally, but I'm sure Funimation also had this kind of problem with that line too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

How old is he suppose to be? He's born year 757 and the Cell Games occur year 767. He then spent a year in the time chamber so he's 11.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've always wondered how much stronger Trunks and Vegeta would be if they actually fought and brought themselves to the brink of death and back again in the time chamber instead of just doing their own thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

How old is he suppose to be? He's born year 757 and the Cell Games occur year 767. He then spent a year in the time chamber so he's 11.

I actually made a mistake when I said that. There was some dub problems about other statistics like Snake Way's length, the age thing is right.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Late 90s translations were hardly the best in the business and we've come a long way with it since then. Funimation used to be a small company with only so much talent which is why you have ADR director Chris Sabat voicing half of the cast and the myriad of translation issues like Over 9000 and Gohan being 11 by the end of the Cell Saga. Now they put out one of the best dubs DBZ has gotten in the Kai dub and Freeza no longer sounds like chain smoking granny.

Also yes, I know the Ocean Group did the Over 9000 thing originally, but I'm sure Funimation also had this kind of problem with that line too.

gently caress you old school freeza loving owns.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

gently caress you old school freeza loving owns.

Agreed. Biggest complaint about dbzkai thus far is the voice actors aren't the same.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Yeah whenever I caught kai on tv I always wound up quitting after like 10 minutes because I just spent the whole time going "Thats not Gohan/Bulma/Freeza/Cell/Hercule!"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have always hated Old School Freeza's voice even as a kid. It was always such a bad voice for that character and was wildly inconsistent in its quality, especially when he transforms. Also, Stephanie Nadolny always sucked voicing any little kid character, especially when Gohan tries to react to anything with anything resembling a loud tone.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Pretty sure Cell and Hercule have the same voices.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

funkybottoms posted:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah whenever I caught kai on tv I always wound up quitting after like 10 minutes because I just spent the whole time going "Thats not Gohan/Bulma/Freeza/Cell/Hercule!"

Piss Sodastream posted:

Agreed. Biggest complaint about dbzkai thus far is the voice actors aren't the same.

god forbid they try to make a garbage dub into something good.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Last Celebration posted:

Pretty sure Cell and Hercule have the same voices.

Cell is. Both times he was voiced by Damien Clarke. Hercule sounded the same, but I don't remember the name.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chris Rager voices Satan in both versions too.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I can understand mistaking Cell because while it's the same guy, he does sound a bit different, but how the gently caress do you hear someone different for Mr. Satan? Chris Rager has one of the most distinctive voices in the industry.

Also if you don't appreciate Chris Ayres' fantastic performance as Frieza then you can go to straight to hfil

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I really liked how Kai turned out, voice-wise. The retranslation probably helped, but both Freeza and Cell had more personality this time around.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

I swear to god his voice sounded different in the one episode I watched years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
I thought it when I first saw it, and I still think it now - the forum will never produce anything greater than this emoticon.

• Locked thread