Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

WhiffleballDude posted:

Also if you don't appreciate Chris Ayres' fantastic performance as Frieza then you can go to straight to hfil

Never heard this VA, but I like it better than the original 'old woman who has smoked nonstop for 40 years' version.

It pales in comparison to Littlekuriboh's version in DBZ Abridged, though. That fucker nailed Freeza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
This is a group of Brazilian artists doing Dragonball homages:

http://dragonball50br.tumblr.com/

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
OG Freeza's voice had that androgynous air to it. Like here's the universe's greatest threat and he sounds like a bored grandma (if he is even a He to begin with). I appreciated that he didn't sound like a booming threat.

But I also liked OG Vegeta's higher pitch, so...

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

FilthyImp posted:

OG Freeza's voice had that androgynous air to it. Like here's the universe's greatest threat and he sounds like a bored grandma (if he is even a He to begin with). I appreciated that he didn't sound like a booming threat.

They established in either DB Heroes or DB Online that females of Freeza's race (I'm of the opinion that they're Arcosians) have a distinctly feminine visual style. So it's safe to say Freeza is male.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love how Dragon Ball, as a franchise, is so diverse and populated with so many different memorable characters. Characters like Pilaf, Mai, Shuu, Oolong, etc. sharing a world with Freeza, Cell, Dabura, Vegeta, the androids, etc. I like that. Few franchises can have that broad of a range in tone and still work. It's like everyone can have their own Dragon Ball, so to speak. Lighthearted mystical adventure like in early Dragon Ball, martial arts action like in mid to late Dragon Ball, planet-saving epic poo poo like in Dragon Ball Z that just keeps escalating until the entire cosmos is at stake. That's what happens when you start a manga and just make it up as you go along for 10 years.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Zonekeeper posted:

It pales in comparison to Littlekuriboh's version in DBZ Abridged, though. That fucker nailed Freeza.

"Zarbon really screwed the pooch on this one."
"Sir, Vegeta's really giving us a pounding!"
"I'm coming! Quick, Zarbon, grab my balls!"

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I know it would never happen, but why can't we live in a world where DBZ abridged is on Adult swim/toonami and we have proper dvd sets?

I am anal enough to maybe make my own sets of it for my self (man DBZ brings out the OCD collector in me)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

Wasn't Brian Drummond the Ocean Group VA for Vegeta? I think I liked his take better than Christopher Sabat's (who certainly isn't bad, by any means).

Anyway, I think we're forgetting the best dub of them all.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Thanks OP for showing me Dragonball Wrong Time. I love 'What If's' and DBZ What If's are great.

Common Trunks, say "Welp timelines hosed might as well smack a bitch"

[edit] "This is for calling me a bastard!!"
I don't even know you!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

That's a really really interesting take on Raditz.

I wish this gif was longer and had a section where it gets introspective and you see a tadpole spinning in a ball.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

IronClaymore posted:

It was mentioned a bunch in the previous thread, but the real "Wow...this IS Freeza" moment was:

"Oh, no no no. Please. Give me some ideas."

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

It was mentioned a bunch in the previous thread, but the real "Wow...this IS Freeza" moment was:

"Oh, no no no. Please. Give me some ideas."

That was bar none one of the best-delivered lines in any voice acted work I've ever seen. You could just feel the malice dripping off of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

IronClaymore posted:

God dammit I can read it in the TFS voices.

Szmitten posted:

He looks like Black Haired Triple H.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
He looks like a Battlefield Earth alien.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zonekeeper posted:

You could just feel the malice dripping off of it.

"Oh no. I'm just a little bit absolutely livid!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Thanks for the fan comic suggestions in the OP. Who Wants to be a Hero? is hilarious. It's too bad some of the images for it appear broken, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

"Oh no. I'm just a little bit absolutely livid!

You've got to do that quote justice.

"I'm sorry, I'm usually far more composed. I'm just a little bit :catstare: ABSOLUTELY LIVID. :catstare:"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

This is doing it justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyYrkc1zGn4

"Absolutely livid" at 8:38, unfortunately they didn't get "give me some ideas"

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Szmitten posted:

Check the link, there's at least 50 more takes:

http://dragonball50br.tumblr.com/

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno what it is, but this picture really speaks to me, especially with how Chiaotzu's name is spelled.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Oxxidation posted:

You've got to do that quote justice.

"I'm sorry, I'm usually far more composed. I'm just a little bit :catstare: ABSOLUTELY LIVID. :catstare:"

I absolutely love the DBZ A and Kai's Freezer interpretation. The nail one major aspect of the character: he's pretty regal and polite until you piss him off.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

I absolutely love the DBZ A and Kai's Freezer interpretation. The nail one major aspect of the character: he's pretty regal and polite until you piss him off.

I've been an idiot and have read youtube comments and it just baffles me how many people seem to prefer the old dbz dub to the kai dub. I know people can nostalgia pretty hard, but still, how can people think that the original dub was good? :psyduck:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I certainly wouldn't call the original dub BAD by any means, but I do think Kai is better.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, I think Kai's better overall but there are bits of the original I prefer. And by "bits" I mean "Android 18" who's replacement VA just doesn't sound like she fits quite as well for some reason I can't explain. I'd say probably just because it's not what I'm used to, but I prefer basically every other recasting so it's probably not that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, I think Kai's better overall but there are bits of the original I prefer. And by "bits" I mean "Android 18" who's replacement VA just doesn't sound like she fits quite as well for some reason I can't explain. I'd say probably just because it's not what I'm used to, but I prefer basically every other recasting so it's probably not that.

I prefer her Kai voice simply because she actually sounds like a teenager, which is what she's supposed to be.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Pretty sure that Kai doesn't have the driving lesson episode and that's a loving crime.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Prison Warden posted:

Pretty sure that Kai doesn't have the driving lesson episode and that's a loving crime.
This is why Kai will always play second fiddle

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another great Freeza line from abridged.

Freeza "Stop hitting yourself, Stop hitting yourself."
Vegeta "But you're the one hitting me."
Freeza "Au contraire Vegeta, you brought this on yourself."

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I always liked the progression as Freeza's dry wit crashes headlong into Goku's childlike stupidity. It's almost exactly what happens when an experienced chess player goes from an intermediate player and handily beating them to a complete newbie who wins by incomprehensible playing.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

carry on then posted:

I always liked the progression as Freeza's dry wit crashes headlong into Goku's childlike stupidity. It's almost exactly what happens when an experienced chess player goes from an intermediate player and handily beating them to a complete newbie who wins by incomprehensible playing.

The only way to play like Goku is to smash your fists on the board until all your opponents pieces fall over.

And of course, flipping the board is the chess equivilant of blowing up the planet.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
I picture playing chess with Goku would be like the Simpsons scene where Homer slowly asks what each letter of VIP means in a loop except he gets stuck on the knight because he keeps getting distracted by thoughts of horse burgers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Like pawns wouldn't just make him think of prawns. Not that I imagine you'd be able to even get him to sit down and try it, especially Abridged Goku who'd literally just walk away after declaring it was boring.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I grew up with DBZ just like most people my age and I suppose I owe it something for being so popular that Funi could introduce me to Dragon Ball but... It's so terrible in comparison. I can't think of another mangaka in history who could say "my main character was an alien all along and just forgot because he got dropped on his head." Modern manga fans flip their poo poo when Ichigo turns into his Hollow form and kills Ulquiorra out of nowhere. If Toriyama tried to do that poo poo today, people would fly to Japan just for the chance to personally slap him across the face.

Now...all that being said, I have a lot of nostalgia for DBZ, whatever its horrible drop in quality from DB. And having recently watched Kai for the first time, I can appreciate a lot of the changes. Ayres' Freeza was indeed great and Goku's "I am" speech was vastly superior. But then again, the whole Namek Saga was the dub's lowest point. What really mattered was the Cell Saga and I don't think there was any substantial improvement there apart from Sabat's Piccolo being just his Zoro voice now and not...whatever he originally did. There were some pretty bad replacements like Clinkenbeard's Eighteen. She gave absolutely nothing to Eighteen because her "tough female voice" that she gives to Inner Moka or Erza was more or less taken by Gohan. So she's left with "generic female." It was certainly nothign compared to Meredith McCoy's dry wit which I felt always gave Eighteen this perpetually bored with the world feeling and I liked that. It contrasted well with how childish Seventeen was. Eric Vale's Future Trunks also sounds like he took the Terminator inspiration too far and is trying to emulate Christian Bale.

There's also the matter of losing Bruce Faulconer's score. I just can't imagine Cell dying without Ginyu Transformation playing. Also no Gohan Angers. And the ending narration for when Gohan goes SSJ2 is so goddam boring and bland in Kai. This is the most defining and memorable moment in DBZ history for me and the narrator did not do it justice compared to the original.

At the end of the day, my favorite dub will always be Funi's Dragon Ball. Nadolny's Kid Goku, Kent Williams' Mercenary Tao, Sabat's King Piccolo and the awesome original Japanese music - I loved it all.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 31, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Faulconer's score was amazing, I literally can not imagine Cell or Super Buu without thinking of their kickass themes. I really hope the Abridged series uses them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Faulconer's score was amazing, I literally can not imagine Cell or Super Buu without thinking of their kickass themes. I really hope the Abridged series uses them.

That's something Yugioh Abridged did - it kept all the great 4Kids' music for the Battle City arc. There was so much goodness there with the themes for the Egyptian Gods and whatnot.

Don't forget the Androids had a cool theme too. And in addition to his amazing theme, Cell had the best power up music nest to Super Saiyan 3.

But man...the original DB's music. It's some of the best in anime history for me.
Makafushigi Adventure and the instrumental version are iconic for a drat good reason. Then there was the World Martial Arts/Tenkaichi Budokai music, the badass Red Ribbon Army theme, the even more badass Defeat the Red Ribbon Army Theme, Wolf Hurricane Or, yes, Yamcha CAN be awesome, and even more besides all that.

God, music matters a lot to me in my anime and DB is so full of greatness.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 31, 2014

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The original Dragon Ball definitely has some iconic music. You already listed all of my favs, but one piece of background music I like is this. It's such a great showdown theme and it even gets played a couple of times in DBZ, like when Gohan faces down Cell.

I also like Shura-Iro No Senshi, which plays when King Kai is telling Goku about the history of the Saiyans and the Tuffles.

While we're on the subject of Bruce Faulconer music, my favs are:

Vegeta Gets Bean

Mr. Satan's theme, also called "Wrestling Rock with Lead"

Gohan's Innocence

and of course the Super Saiyan 3 theme

Switching gears to Dragon Ball vs DBZ, I have to admit I might like DB a bit more. And the parts of DBZ I like the most are the early stuff, the Saiyan Arc mostly. I think Dragon Ball had better fighting. People still fought primarily on the ground, and while they had mystical powers and superhuman abilities, they were still martial artists. There were different schools, different styles, different techniques. But in post-Freeza DBZ its mostly just flying at jet speed, powering up, throwing really big energy blasts at each other, etc.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

NikkolasKing posted:

I grew up with DBZ just like most people my age and I suppose I owe it something for being so popular that Funi could introduce me to Dragon Ball but... It's so terrible in comparison. I can't think of another mangaka in history who could say "my main character was an alien all along and just forgot because he got dropped on his head." Modern manga fans flip their poo poo when Ichigo turns into his Hollow form and kills Ulquiorra out of nowhere. If Toriyama tried to do that poo poo today, people would fly to Japan just for the chance to personally slap him across the face.

When you define the genre, you get a pass for weak plot points like this; it's a challenge that others will have to face. At least the Hollow thing was foreshadowed a fair bit: the equivalent of the 'Goku was an alien all along' in modern times would be like if the protagonists of One Piece arrived at their next island, found a mysterious gate, and discovered their world was just a superadvanced MMMORPG.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ugh, eveN DBZ is better written than Star Ocean 3. Maybe not by much but still...I hate that game with a passion.

Also I want to post this because it never fails to not make me laugh and I hope it can do the same for all of you.
"Big Green had perished. Vejituh, Yamcha, Tenshin and Klirin - they had survived."

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Toyble on why Gotenks did not appear in GT (right to left):

(They forgot how to do it)

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Wait, people were actually surprised Ichigo was a hollow? Didn't they blatantly do a whole training arc on controlling his hollow self or something?

• Locked thread