Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zelah posted:

It's been 20 years of grandma Goku, right? I feel like people should have come to terms with it by now. It's fine. That's what Goku sounds like. It's fine.

It's been nearly 30 years, actually. I thought we all got over it by like, 1999 when the subbed versions became more readily available thanks to the internet and DVD releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
:lol: if you think I'm going to watch Dragon Ball in anything but good ol' American :911:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

zelah posted:

It's been 20 years of grandma Goku, right? I feel like people should have come to terms with it by now. It's fine. That's what Goku sounds like. It's fine.

Did it really come out that there are only 2 more episodes of BoG material? I can't wait. Give me Vegeta becoming a god and a Jaco putting around filler episode and I'll never think poorly of deathbed King Kai again.

lol gently caress no thats not what goku sounds like

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

lol gently caress no thats not what goku sounds like

I have several hundred episodes-worth of evidence to the contrary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sharktamer posted:

DBZ had poo poo animation.

Super has poo poo animation.

Am I not allowed to say that?

Most anime have poo poo animation. This is not a false fact but also kind of tiresomely repetitive to hear week after week after week. If every anime thread just had five people go in every week and go "this isn't theater quality animation and therefore is poo poo" it'd be laughable.

I ain't even saying anyone is wrong to dislike it. I'm mostly talking about people like Esroc who are looking at the original anime with immense nostalgia glasses.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 13, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dragon ball z was a bad anime

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

good manga though

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Farecoal posted:

:lol: if you think I'm going to watch Dragon Ball in anything but good ol' American :911:

Hyper big bang baseball attack!!!!

I you give a woman 30 years to voice a man I'm sure she's figured out a way to make it work. I like the soundbites in gakkan.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Amorphous Blob posted:

I you give a woman 30 years to voice a man I'm sure she's figured out a way to make it work. I like the soundbites in gakkan.

well, she hasnt

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Love me some petty rear end in a top hat Goku throwing the forehead flick karate chop just to get even. As cool as the fight was in BoG i'm really into the choreography turning it into two children fight dirty in the playground of gods.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Amorphous Blob posted:

Time isn't always a good thing, with voicework.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Time isn't always a good thing, with voicework.

It very rarely is good. I can't think of many actors who can keep the same voice for decades. Even long-times like Peter Cullen sound a fair bit different.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It very rarely is good. I can't think of many actors who can keep the same voice for decades. Even long-times like Peter Cullen sound a fair bit different.

Since we're talking anime voice actors, the example that always comes to my mind is Zenigata's old voice actor. He had throat cancer and he sounded horrible the last few times he voiced him. It was clearly putting a strain on him because in his last role was a tv special in which they wrote out his character for most of the runtime, so I was glad when he finally retired.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Re: The episode, whilst obviously Battle of Gods is going to look better, I do like how the episode decided to approach the fight. Particularly how initially Beerus only fights with just the one arm, and is slowly forced to take the fight more seriously.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

zelah posted:

Did it really come out that there are only 2 more episodes of BoG material? I can't wait. Give me Vegeta becoming a god and a Jaco putting around filler episode and I'll never think poorly of deathbed King Kai again.

Yeah. Episode 13 is going to have a new ending song, and its title is "Goku, Go Surpass Super Saiyan God!", making it clear that it is happening after the BoG events.

Also you can say it's been X years of grandma Goku but in the end it doesn't matter because I doubt most people actually watched Dragon Ball in Japanese. I know I didn't, Latin American Spanish or nothing. That said I can tolerate Masako Nozawa's Goku to a certain extent, but I sure don't enjoy it. I'd much rather have Mario Castaņeda or, if I don't have that choice, Sean Schemmel. But oh well, it's not that big of a deal and the rest of the Japanese voices are good enough (except King Kai, who really needs to just retire entirely at this point, since it's clear he doesn't have the strength to be a voice actor anymore).

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wonder how long it'll take before Super gets a localization. I'd kill to see it back on Toonami but there's next to zero chances of that happening since the rights are tied up with Nickelodeon or whoever's got it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Funimation still hasn't done Buu Kai, right? I'd imagine they want to finish that up before starting on Super.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

someone plz photoshop this so that goku is flipping the bird tia

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

The Ninth Layer posted:

Funimation still hasn't done Buu Kai, right?

Has there been any word on that, like, at all?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Farecoal posted:

Nope. They took their sweet time with the first arcs of Kai, too.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Enourmo posted:

someone plz photoshop this so that goku is flipping the bird tia

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

zelah posted:

That's not how it loving works at all.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Amorphous Blob posted:

dragon ball z is the coolest show in history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWAYmZ32aRk

yamcha and krillin make a good team

Wait, they're worried that if they die in the afterlife, they're gone for good? I thought that wasn't possible?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ak Gara posted:

Wait, they're worried that if they die in the afterlife, they're gone for good? I thought that wasn't possible?

I took it one of two ways: either they cease to exist or, like in a lot of japanese series with an afterlife you can come back from, dying when you're dead makes you reincarnate.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Covok posted:

I took it one of two ways: either they cease to exist or, like in a lot of japanese series with an afterlife you can come back from, dying when you're dead makes you reincarnate.

Well they just know it hasn't come up. For all they know they just need to get a dead namek to make afterlife dragonballs so they can revive them from double death.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

So when Goku wished for Uub, he was really wishing Buu double dead? Hardcore man.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Farecoal posted:

Just rumors and hearsay that they've finished the dub.

We'll know more when Funimation hosts their panel in early October about DBZ Kai and DBS.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Eh, just a thought on things. It's how a few other series tackled the topic so, if it came up, I'd imagine Toriyama would go that route.

The line could also be a dubism.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Ak Gara posted:

Basically the threat would be that 'dying' as a spirit means one ceases to exist in their entirety. No will, no consciousness - just no longer being.

Mind you, simply being in the Other World does not inherently make one a spirit. King Kai dying is his personal embarrassment as a Kai, so when Buu died to the spirit bomb, that was like a 'regular' death - which also explains why Yemma was able to do Goku a favour by making Uub, as presumably Buu was just a puffy white ball like everyone else, rather than bubblegum Cthulhu.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Caros posted:

Well they just know it hasn't come up. For all they know they just need to get a dead namek to make afterlife dragonballs so they can revive them from double death.

Those are in Parallels, the dragon's name is Fenghan and they're blue with white stars (inverted from the usual because they're the only set that requires the creator to be dead for them to work). The afterlife bureaucracy of Other World go to great lengths to hide them so the creator can stop wishing himself back to life, because it's supposed to be eternal rest, not a day spa.

(There are a lot of different sets of dragon balls in Parallels because of how much you everyone dies.)

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Fuego Fish posted:

Those are in Parallels, the dragon's name is Fenghan and they're blue with white stars (inverted from the usual because they're the only set that requires the creator to be dead for them to work). The afterlife bureaucracy of Other World go to great lengths to hide them so the creator can stop wishing himself back to life, because it's supposed to be eternal rest, not a day spa.

(There are a lot of different sets of dragon balls in Parallels because of how much you everyone dies.)

Tell them about the moocher dragon. TELL THEM ABOUT THE MOOCHER DRAGON.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

There was that bit during the tail end of the Buu saga where Vegeta was fighting off Kid Buu to buy Goku some time to gather energy. Goku's basically like 'You die this time you won't exist' to kinda reinforce the gravity of his situation.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was also a filler thing iirc, in the manga they go to Kai planet and Kid Buu follows them there

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

-Fish- posted:

Tell them about the moocher dragon. TELL THEM ABOUT THE MOOCHER DRAGON.

An alien species wanted to find out the answer to the question "do you have to be Namekian, or at least vaguely competent, to make your own set of dragon balls?"

The answer turned out to be yes, yes you do, and the result was the Counterfeit Dragon Balls, which serve one purpose: to be swapped with the real thing to bamboozle the native inhabitants just long enough for their creators to make a wish or three. However, they aren't just rocks painted to look like the real thing (aka "version one"), they legitimately summon a real, genuine dragon. But the only wish you'll make is that they didn't.

Gargoom, the dragon of the counterfeit set, is best described as something approaching "Danny Devito in a dragon costume" and unlike the other dragons, is in no hurry to grant wishes or return to peaceful slumber. He'd rather raid the fridge, pass out on your couch, and steal $50 from your wallet to go buy snacks at the 7-11. Not so much an imposing presence inspiring awe and wonder, more of a chubby four-foot-seven lovely roommate who refuses to leave.

His role in Parallels adventures is primarily filler escapades, in between trying to find out what bunch of assholes saddled you with this unlikeable douchebag, and then beating them up before they use your good set of dragon balls to wish for galactic domination or something.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Oh wait I remember now. It was loving GT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2464SNUsEPA&t=324s

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

An alien species wanted to find out the answer to the question "do you have to be Namekian, or at least vaguely competent, to make your own set of dragon balls?"

The answer turned out to be yes, yes you do, and the result was the Counterfeit Dragon Balls, which serve one purpose: to be swapped with the real thing to bamboozle the native inhabitants just long enough for their creators to make a wish or three. However, they aren't just rocks painted to look like the real thing (aka "version one"), they legitimately summon a real, genuine dragon. But the only wish you'll make is that they didn't.

Gargoom, the dragon of the counterfeit set, is best described as something approaching "Danny Devito in a dragon costume" and unlike the other dragons, is in no hurry to grant wishes or return to peaceful slumber. He'd rather raid the fridge, pass out on your couch, and steal $50 from your wallet to go buy snacks at the 7-11. Not so much an imposing presence inspiring awe and wonder, more of a chubby four-foot-seven lovely roommate who refuses to leave.

His role in Parallels adventures is primarily filler escapades, in between trying to find out what bunch of assholes saddled you with this unlikeable douchebag, and then beating them up before they use your good set of dragon balls to wish for galactic domination or something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ak Gara posted:

Oh wait I remember now. It was loving GT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2464SNUsEPA&t=324s

That was loving insane.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
New episode has decent art and animation! I don't think I like how well SSG Goku was doing against Beerus though. If SSGSS is another step up but still has to be weaker than Beerus then it's not gonna feel like much. Beerus will probably end up saying he was only using 1% of his power though like that makes sense.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sharktamer posted:

New episode has decent art and animation! I don't think I like how well SSG Goku was doing against Beerus though. If SSGSS is another step up but still has to be weaker than Beerus then it's not gonna feel like much. Beerus will probably end up saying he was only using 1% of his power though like that makes sense.

He was only gradually using more and more of his power in the movie itself as it went on, and only used like 70% or something in total, while still winning. SSGSS is basically just barely under him at full power, which is why the combo of he and Vegeta could possibly beat him if they worked together. So it still works out to around the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New Abridged is out!

The Talking out your rear end gag was amazing.

• Locked thread