Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I just got my pair yesterday and I went to SH/SC to see the Glass thread.
It's closed with a modnote saying: Put it in IYG.

So here we go!

Unless you've been living under a rock, you already know what this is. It's 1500 dollar pair of glasses with no lenses that super impose a F-16 like HUD in your right eyeball.

How do I get one
Go here : http://www.google.com/glass/start/how-to-get-one/
Fill out the application.
Wait for approval.
Throw down :10bux: *150.

Yeah that's right. These things are 1500 dollars.

How awesome is it! Is it like the video?!
Meh. These are early prototypes and the video is a little overselling of the capabilities. It's not really like a total "immersion" as much as it is a tiny TV projected in your upper right field of vision.

Text is kind of difficult to read, it doesn't "know" everything you want to do like the video, Has a slight learning curve, you can't enter webforms, etc.

I'm on the fence, not a developer, and not wealthy...I'm not sure ..
Don't get it

DEVELOPMENT:
There's two ways to develop glassware.

1)Mirror API
OR
2)Glass Dev Kit.
OR
3)Both AT THE SAME drat TIME

I don't know poo poo about mirror API but I did make a sample application in a few hours after looking at the glass development page. I can say "OK glass, who is the fairest of them all" and a card shows up with my wife's photo and text explaining that she is always the fairest of them all. She smirked and said "that's neat".

If you know a little about Android development than making GDK glassware isn't too hard.
I'm going to experiment with it some more and see what I come up with.

Post your experiences I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intervoid
Nov 1, 2004
I don't have much to add (read: nothing to add), but wanted to chime in that you are not the only goon looking absolutely fab in these. Hopefully some more people have something else to add. I'm lazy and have done precisely nothing developer-wise with them. I want to, but... effort.

edit: Experience is alright. Not $1500, but I knew that. I have a lot of issues with bluetooth data I think because I am always toggling airplane mode on my phone. However, when it works, I absolutely love googling and pictures with it. I think it would be great for people who have kids because documenting everything would be incredible.

intervoid fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 29, 2014

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I just put in my order earlier today for the new prescription frames. So, once those get here, I just need to get some lenses made for them and I'll actually be able to use mine outside! What a novelty!

intervoid
Nov 1, 2004
Have either one of you guys received your invite to upgrade to version two? Or OP do you have version two since you just got yours not long ago? I'm still waiting.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Sweet, I'm in on this goon party. Unfortunately I'm on a Galaxy Nexus that's barely hanging in as I wait for my equipment upgrade to finish. It kind of kills the user experience.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

intervoid posted:

Have either one of you guys received your invite to upgrade to version two? Or OP do you have version two since you just got yours not long ago? I'm still waiting.

I got my Glass just after V2 came out.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I literally got mine monday so I'm not sure what V2 is!

Mine had frame colors options is that V2?.

The software is XE12 I think?

Edit: Google search [though not on glass] shows I have V2.

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 29, 2014

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

TheReverend posted:

I literally got mine monday so I'm not sure what V2 is!

Mine had frame colors options is that V2?.

The software is XE12 I think?

Edit: Google search [though not on glass] shows I have V2.

Most visibly, V2 has the earbud because the bone transducer doesn't work well on everyone's head when you have fixed frames.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Trip report:

Since I live in the South and we don't respond well to snow, I've been snowed in for the past few days.
And since it's cold, I haven't had a good reason to go outside.

Today I got cabin fever and decided to grocery shopping.

Things I learned:
-It's actually kind of hard to see outside.
-The navigation thing is pretty neat, but I prefer to use my phone and pump the audio through my car BT connection.
-The lady at the checkout will think you're from the future and ask to try them. You will spend 15 minutes explaining them to the checkout lady.

Also GiantMetalRobot , I too am on a Galaxy Nexus and yeah it's great it kills my battery it no time.
I have a backup battery coming to last me till ~April when I will upgrade my phone.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
I'm curious to hear your guys opinions on the whole "antisocial" debate.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sir_Substance posted:

I rarely wear mine anymore, and tend to take them off around other people because they look at me like I have lobsters coming out of my ears. This will happen to everyone unless the wearer has no self-awareness or a sizeable portion of the population buys into the idea and they become a more common sight.

Even when I wore them semi-regularly I would never have worn them to a restaurant, bar, or other social gathering. At best they're equivalent to your phone, and if you're on your phone at any of those places you're being rude. True, just because you're wearing them doesn't mean you're using them, but it's similar to having a phone out, ready to ring. There is nothing that could happen in that instance that you would need to have it out and ready.

All that said, I still the idea of them, and I hope they catch on in some other form. (Earpiece + handheld combo from "Her"?)

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Sir_Substance posted:

I tend to put them on top of my head when I have to interact with someone I don't know and sometimes with friends. Which is exactly not the point.

But when I'm in a non-social situation like riding a bike, they are fantastic.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They're really good when cooking, too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

intervoid posted:

I got my Glass in early May, so I had a v1; received my swap invite in early December. Took a week and a half from when I sent it back for them to send the return box. It had prepaid overnight shipping to return it, and they overnighted me the replacement.

IoT
Dec 21, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
I got to tell a Google employee to take them off. He was surprised.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Anyone know if the new invites still last 7 days? I just got a second one this morning and I gave away my first.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sir_Substance posted:

To me, wearing Glass is like wearing a headlamp. Someday it might be an occupational necessity, and even for the average person, may well come in handy for tasks where one needs two hands free. But wearing a headlamp out in public, particularly in social settings, is goddamed goofy and so is wearing Glass.

Actually using Glass in a social setting is worse. If you're looking at someone, then look at the Glass display, the other person sees you kind of looking at them but not really.

The other thing about Glass is that the difficulty in acquiring them (had to write an essay and pay $1500, although now it's effectively just paying $1500) meant that the folks who actually had them were really keen on the idea of wearing them all the time. If the devices were more accesible, and actually had utility, you might find more folks purcashing and using them for specific uses, but not going out in public with them.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I wear em on head on the way to work. Normally this isn't a big deal but I forget sometimes and get a drink at a gas station or grocery or something I spend an hour explaining it to people.

If anything it makes me MORE social because people say "what the hell is that?".

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
One thing that has kind of confused me is I find it hard to believe that the manufacturing cost is anywhere near $1500, it's probably closer to a few hundred at most, I mean this isn't cutting edge hardware, application yes but it's pretty much a low end phone hardware wise. Of course there is the R&D budget but that seems more like a sunk cost that they really can't recoup nor should really expect to on this limited rollout...

So what's the point? To keep them from being adopted? Do they expect to swap out several different versions at no cost? Do they not really plan on releasing this for such a long time that a wider user base would not expand development in a realistic manner?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Do they expect to swap out several different versions at no cost?
Folks with v1 units did get a free upgrade to v2.

Three Olives posted:

Do they not really plan on releasing this for such a long time that a wider user base would not expand development in a realistic manner?
Unfortunately there's no stable SDK with guaranteed backwards compatibility. At present, "native" apps may, and can be broken across OS updates. The current SDK also has issues, incomplete documentation, and there's not yet a standard process in place for having native apps reviewed and available for download.

Those things are entirely on Google to fix. The platform can't move forward until that's done, it doesn't really matter how many folks adopt it.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Three Olives posted:

One thing that has kind of confused me is I find it hard to believe that the manufacturing cost is anywhere near $1500, it's probably closer to a few hundred at most, I mean this isn't cutting edge hardware, application yes but it's pretty much a low end phone hardware wise. Of course there is the R&D budget but that seems more like a sunk cost that they really can't recoup nor should really expect to on this limited rollout...

So what's the point? To keep them from being adopted? Do they expect to swap out several different versions at no cost? Do they not really plan on releasing this for such a long time that a wider user base would not expand development in a realistic manner?

Well you have to understand that there aren't that many of these and it's not like HTC or Samsung is rolling these out of an Asian factory 24/7. So because they aren't buying "in bulk" they probably cost a whole lot more than they could should they be massed produced.

On a more speculative note:
-They probably want to keep these relatively rare for a while. Complete strangers come up to me to ask about them. And since I was one of those people who really wanted one and paid expense reported one of them I get to be their free in-person street team hype man.

-They also probably want to keep these in the hands of people who are going to take the time to really use these things. A few friends/family of mine couldn't deal with the learning curve and thought it was stupid. If it was easily affordable you'd get a lot of tech support problems, etc.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Folks with v1 units did get a free upgrade to v2.

Unfortunately there's no stable SDK with guaranteed backwards compatibility. At present, "native" apps may, and can be broken across OS updates. The current SDK also has issues, incomplete documentation, and there's not yet a standard process in place for having native apps reviewed and available for download.

Those things are entirely on Google to fix. The platform can't move forward until that's done, it doesn't really matter how many folks adopt it.
At the cost of sounding like a Google apologist, it's clearly labeled GDK preview. They most likely aren't done working with it yet. I got into the game late (for glass developers) and never had to deal with the MIRROR API so thank goodness for that but the GDK isn't so bad. I think it doesn't have a lot of documentation because a lot of it is just the normal Android stuff.

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 5, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Actually using Glass in a social setting is worse. If you're looking at someone, then look at the Glass display, the other person sees you kind of looking at them but not really.

I saw a piece on... I think it was The Verge? When Glass first came out. The guy was trying it out around the city, and the impression I got of him was a slightly awkward person who didn't want to meet people's eyes, and who looked embarrassed to be having his photo taken in every picture.

Then I watched the video and realised he's actually a confident presenter, it's just that in every picture he was looking at the glass display and that gives a really strange impression

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sorry I haven't really been following Google Glass. What does it do? Does it display navigation info, maps and websites?

I assume you need to be looking at a phone or something to get an image on there but you specifically mentioned cooking and driving applications. Can you, for example, scroll a page with it somehow?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

baka kaba posted:

I saw a piece on... I think it was The Verge? When Glass first came out. The guy was trying it out around the city, and the impression I got of him was a slightly awkward person who didn't want to meet people's eyes, and who looked embarrassed to be having his photo taken in every picture.

Then I watched the video and realised he's actually a confident presenter, it's just that in every picture he was looking at the glass display and that gives a really strange impression

Get ready for ... glass and sex. Where everyone is awkwardly looking at themselves looking awkward.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TheReverend posted:

At the cost of sounding like a Google apologist, it's clearly labeled GDK preview. They most likely aren't done working with it yet.
Yeah that's my point, expanding the user base isn't going to get the engineering on it done faster. Once they release a stable GDK and provide a regular review process to release apps, there will be a lot more interest in the platform.

TheReverend posted:

I got into the game late (for glass developers) and never had to deal with the MIRROR API so thank goodness for that but the GDK isn't so bad. I think it doesn't have a lot of documentation because a lot of it is just the normal Android stuff.
The Mirror API isn't bad, but it's really only useful for one kind of application: pushing down notifications in the form of static cards.

The GDK isn't terrible, but if you really try to exploit its features in depth, you'll find the sample code only scratches at some of its features and that the GDK-specific API documentation doesn't document quite a number of methods, leading to trial and error to make stuff work, with no assurance it won't break in the next platform update.

Perhaps that's all part of the experience given that the GDK is a "sneak preview". But as an engineer, when there's a number of other projects on your plate, you're probably going to invest time in something that doesn't result in a lot of process inefficiency and won't have to be redone next month. That's what's holding the platform back right now.

Edit: At least with Android, if there's an ambiguity in the (otherwise generally quite good) documentation, you can actually check the framework source code to see how things are implemented. The Glass layer on-top of Android is proprietary so you can't really do the same there without a reverse engineering effort. That makes getting the documentation right even more important.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 5, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I have two invites if anyone wants them. PM me your name and email address.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I got mine today and it won't detect any of my voice commands except for "OK glass." I have no accent or anything so I'm not sure why I can't get this to work.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I got mine today and it won't detect any of my voice commands except for "OK glass." I have no accent or anything so I'm not sure why I can't get this to work.

all commands start with "ok glass".

"ok glass, take a picture"

"ok glass, google, show me pictures of catfish"

"ok glass, call grandma"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Got an invite today. I'm considering it. Like, I wouldn't mind playing around with it or trying my hand at developing for it, but $1500 feels like a lot. Are the invites time-limited?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ReidRansom posted:

Got an invite today. I'm considering it. Like, I wouldn't mind playing around with it or trying my hand at developing for it, but $1500 feels like a lot. Are the invites time-limited?

Yep. They expire in either one week or two (depending on what they're doing these days).

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ReidRansom posted:

If $1500 feels like a lot to you (it is) then don't do it. You'll regret it almost immediately.

Theaty
Feb 26, 2014

Bad at Everything
Seriously though....i think those Google Glasses look cool and they kinda make you look nerdy too from my perspective but....those things have to have so many more specs then they have now in order for me to go buy one for $1500 and wear it...i mean it has less capabilities then an iphone but you can look through it with glasses....so meh. I hope that they are gonna develop like solar energy for it too and everythin...that'll be cool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If $1500 feels like a lot to you (it is) then don't do it. You'll regret it almost immediately.

Going to try and get my employer to pay for it. Probably a 50/50 chance. Otherwise, yeah, I won't bother. I do alright, but not so good that parting with $1500 for something like this wouldn't feel a little like a bad decision.

Guess I've got a week to convince them.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah don't pay for this. Work should pay for it otherwise you ain't missin' much

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

You can always return it if you feel like it wasn't worth it.

teejayh
Feb 12, 2003
A real bastard

UncleGuito posted:

If you say Ok Glass, you should notice a change in the screen and it will list the rest of the voice commands. The list grows as you add glassware.

With glass, if you've having any issues, do a factory reset. I've had a few pair that have random problems. Factory resetting ends up fixing them. Recently, I had a pair come in that out of the box everything worked just fine, other than the head angle wake up. With it turned on, it would never activate no matter what angle you put it at. I performed a factory reset and once it was back, it worked fine, except for now the voice commands wouldn't work from the main launcher. "OK Glass," what was funny is if I took a picture with the button, or a blink, I could then use the voice command. More factory resets, and it didn't change it, so I just started dicking around and installed the strava app, I think the cycling one, and sure enough, voice response is working everywhere.

There is a lot of potential in the glaas for a lot of applications, the rumor is that Google would like to get a public release by the end of the year, but I'm not sure it will happen.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

teejayh posted:

If you say Ok Glass, you should notice a change in the screen and it will list the rest of the voice commands. The list grows as you add glassware.

With glass, if you've having any issues, do a factory reset. I've had a few pair that have random problems. Factory resetting ends up fixing them. Recently, I had a pair come in that out of the box everything worked just fine, other than the head angle wake up. With it turned on, it would never activate no matter what angle you put it at. I performed a factory reset and once it was back, it worked fine, except for now the voice commands wouldn't work from the main launcher. "OK Glass," what was funny is if I took a picture with the button, or a blink, I could then use the voice command. More factory resets, and it didn't change it, so I just started dicking around and installed the strava app, I think the cycling one, and sure enough, voice response is working everywhere.

There is a lot of potential in the glaas for a lot of applications, the rumor is that Google would like to get a public release by the end of the year, but I'm not sure it will happen.

It ended up being an issue with the Twitter app. Once I disabled it, voice commands worked perfectly.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I want a cut-down version of Google Glass. Get rid of the touch pad, the microphone, anything superfluous to a simple augmented reality display. It needs processor, screen, camera, and a wireless Internet connection. I don't want to give voice commands or fumble through apps in public anyway. I don't want to share on Facebook.

Sync it with a computer to set everything up how you want it: Have it display more information about businesses you're looking at, have it pull up review scores for products you're looking at, have it pull up information about people you're looking at so you can become a Charles Magnussen-style supervillian, whatever.

Everything else just seems to beg the question, "can't I already do that more easily on my phone?".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So basically Google Glass except it also reads your mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Well no, just keep the same settings once you've set them, and use the on-board camera to see stuff.

• Locked thread