Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

demonicon posted:

What is a nutri system?

some dumb fad diet, don't worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
There is a medical study around (I donīt know from whom or where) that shows that what diet you do is unimportant. As long as you reduce your calorie intake.

edit: I found it, and I would quote it, but its all in german :(

edit2: primary source is english: http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2012/01/17/ajcn.111.026328

demonicon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 31, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

what makes a difference though is how easy or hard it is to stick to the diet.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

i think fad diets would be pretty poo poo for this since a lot of them tell you to cut out food that's perfectly fine if you take the right portion size.
like trying some all meat atkins diets is probably going to be a lot harder to get used to and stick to then eating like a normal loving person but having smaller portions

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I've been dieting/exercising for about a year and I've lost 92 pounds. Still want to lose another 20 pounds or so but I'm feeling way better. For me once I hit three bills it just sorta scared me into losing weight. My BMI is 27.1 which is still overweight, but considering the fact that I started at 39 I feel pretty good about it. I'm another five pounds or so from my high school weight, and I'm definitely lighter than I was 10 years ago (my freshman 15 was more like a freshman 40).

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

That is a very good point.

Especially if you consider that this is actually what you have to eat if you want to stay slim. I donīt like the notion of diets so much because it is something you think of as temporary. But in fact, if you really do this diet temporary and go back to what you ate before you will be at the same weight in no time.

Rather you should think of it as a change. And you should settle with something comfortable. If you go with the 1800 calorie for example, one thing helps of course if your body is used to it. He wonīt expect you to eat much more.I can gungho for example in MCD (but I wouldnīt even be able to eat more than to big macs) and still have enough for a bread and 2 beer at the evening.

There are enough dishes out there that have low calories and taste great. For example, finger food I replaced with paprika and low fet youghurt.

edit: an 1.8k example

9am: Eat a croissant: 300
14pm: Eat at MCD: 1000
9pm: Soup with 2 loaves of bread: 400-600

demonicon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 31, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

demonicon posted:

There are enough dishes out there that have low calories and taste great. For example, finger food I replaced with paprika and low fet youghurt.

The difference in calories between yoghurt based salad dressings and oil or mayonnaise based dressings is shocking by the way. Check it out guys. A salad with ranch dressing is basically fast food caloriewise.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You really have to not drink any alcohol, especially beer. The calories just don't burn as quickly as other things. There is a reason why you can see completely fit people with a "beer gut". That poo poo is impossible to burn off.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The difference in calories between yoghurt based salad dressings and oil or mayonnaise based dressings is shocking by the way. Check it out guys. A salad with ranch dressing is basically fast food caloriewise.

But you can eat it. Thing is you canīt eat much else after that :)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

fat is fat. but beer has as many calories as soda. and drinking hard liquor is basically the same as drinking salad sauce.

demonicon posted:

But you can eat it. Thing is you canīt eat much else after that :)

Yeah. heh.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Philthy posted:

You really have to not drink any alcohol, especially beer. The calories just don't burn as quickly as other things. There is a reason why you can see completely fit people with a "beer gut". That poo poo is impossible to burn off.

That is not entirely true. While beer has enough calories of his own, the body is not able to turn the calories of alcohol into fat. (which is why alcoholics are thin). So if you donīt eat anything after your alcoholic spree you are fine.

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006

Philthy posted:

This is my problem. It's hard to give up, man. Also, junk food. At least I've been able to give up soda.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It fucks with your metabolism so that fat cannot be broken down as it should. Drinking it is anything but fine if you're on a diet.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

hypersober posted:

This is my problem. It's hard to give up, man. Also, junk food. At least I've been able to give up soda.
t
Beer on its own wonīt make you fat. It wonīt even make a difference. The difference is that you get hungry. You can all drink beer allright without a fear to gain weight. What makes you fat is your drunken trek to the next fast food restaurant and you ordering 3 times of what you would normally order.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Philthy posted:

It fucks with your metabolism so that fat cannot be broken down as it should. Drinking it is anything but fine if you're on a diet.

Yeah, but this is micromanagement.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

how much loving dressing are people putting on salad. If you're using more than a tablespoon that's just gross.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Philthy posted:

This is not correct at all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NoneSuch posted:

how much loving dressing are people putting on salad. If you're using more than a tablespoon that's just gross.
for many people, probably enough that it's closer to putting salad on dressing than dressing on salad.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

NoneSuch posted:

golden corral thread

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dSUdzgmCik

1. Stop loving drinking soda and replace it with water. If you "don't like the taste of water" you have a broken palate and will soon be dependent on a rascal scooter to get around. Nobody should drink soda on a regular basis, if at all. Also stop drinking those disgusting energy drinks while you're at it, they taste like liquid pixie sticks. If you need caffeine or energy drink a cup of coffee like a loving adult (and don't overload it with cream and sugar).

2. Keep a food diary. If you're fat I guarantee you're eating way more calories than you think you are. Use MyFitnessPal.com or something, you can track your macronutrients with it too. You'll really be surprised at the amount of garbage you force down your throat every day. Figure out the amount of calories you need in a day to either maintain your weight or lose a certain amount a week and stick with it.

3. Start jogging. It's going to hurt like a motherfucker at first, but you'll get used to it and after a couple months you'll feel a million times better because you'll actually be fit and in shape, and you won't get winded going up two flights of stairs anymore. Plus you'll lose weight. Use runkeeper or Nike+ to keep track of your progress, make a game out of it, whatever you need to do to keep at it. It's also a great stress reliever, so there's that too.

That's it. That's all you need to do. I lost 30 lbs and went from borderline obese to well within the desirable weight range by just doing these three things. I didn't even have to dramatically overhaul my diet, I'm just way more conscious of exactly what I'm eating on a daily basis.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

NoneSuch posted:

Is it mandatory for food sellers in the U.S. to list the calorie value of their food?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Philthy posted:

Fat cannot be broken down while you're breaking down the alcohol so you'll be fine unless you drink literally 24/7.

EDIT: Also the "beer gut" thing is loving hilarious. I used to be fat and drank no beer, now I have a fridge full of beer and am un-fat. Just treat it like other other food and factor in the calories, you will be fine.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 31, 2014

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

NoneSuch posted:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

demonicon posted:

Is it mandatory for food sellers in the U.S. to list the calorie value of their food?

but... you make your own salad

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

demonicon posted:

That is not entirely true. While beer has enough calories of his own, the body is not able to turn the calories of alcohol into fat. (which is why alcoholics are thin). So if you donīt eat anything after your alcoholic spree you are fine.

the only alcoholics i've met who are thin are thin because they don't eat anything for hours before they drink or while drunk so they can get wasted faster.

and in a beer alcohol is only like 4-6 percent of the product so does that 4-6% content make it so you can't absorb the other 95% of the sugar and barley carbs or what?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Digital Fingers posted:

srs, I take breaks from weed every once in a while and it absolutely tanks my appetite to the point where i'll get hungry maybe once or twice a day at most. The trick to not getting fat while high is to realize that eating kills your buzz and that you're wasting weed if you pig out while stoned, works for me at least (for the most part)but it did take a while to break the habit of gorging myself.

sorry about your bleeding organs btw

I mean as far as weed and food goes you can just snack on healthy/ not so bad things. Grapes are great, im a fan of mixed nuts, or you can just budget it into a day. Two summers ago weed was my steriod. I was heading into my last semester, and pretty much smoked weed and lifted everyday. Nothing about weed prevents you from being fit and healthy. I still smoke before lifts every now and again. It makes me really concentrate on my technique and breathing. I feel very focused in the gym.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It's okay to get drunk occasionally, just double up and do mixers all night with diet coke.

the ultimate solution to food problems is just do weightlifting then you want to get fat so you can lift more

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Digital Fingers posted:

the only alcoholics i've met who are thin are thin because they don't eat anything for hours before they drink or while drunk so they can get wasted faster.

and in a beer alcohol is only like 4-6 percent of the product so does that 4-6% content make it so you can't absorb the other 95% of the sugar and barley carbs or what?

No, beer is an exception to the rules and not the least of which was that it was given out during times of fasts. But I said so in my post.

Just read what loving Maxxbot said

demonicon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 31, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

why can you lift more if you are fatter?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

If you put on fat you will put on some muscle with it even if you're WoW raiding while chowing down on cheetoes. Also cutting to really low bodyfat tends to make people weak, so if someone is supper shredded looking and not on steroids they're often weaker than they look.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

demonicon posted:

No, beer is an exception to the rules and not the least of which was that it was given out during times of fasts. But I said so in my post.

demonicon posted:

Beer on its own wonīt make you fat.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

But you DO lift more!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

If you put on fat you will put on some muscle with it even if you're WoW raiding while chowing down on cheetoes. Also cutting to really low bodyfat tends to make people weak, so if someone is supper shredded looking and not on steroids they're often weaker than they look.

Huh, intersting. Like below 5%?

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Its a big step from making someone fat and being calorie neutral.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

demonicon posted:

Its a big step from making someone fat and being calorie neutral.

basically as someone who used to drink until blackout drunk and chill with nothing about boozer punks all day and who's now changed their lifestyle and gets drunk maybe 2-3 times a year i can safely say you have no idea what you're talking about and beer makes you loving fat unless you're starving yourself

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Huh, intersting. Like below 5%?

It depends on the person but typically cutting below like 8% or so is basically self-torture because you're fighting against your body tooth and nail to get that low without losing muscle and strength. That level of bodyfat is rare though, even the most ripped athletes you see are usually around 8%. The only people who go much below that are bodybuilders because they are insane, they have done studies showing that cutting to as low of bodyfat as they do (typically 4-5%) will seriously gently caress up your hormone levels for months.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

NoneSuch posted:

It's okay to get drunk occasionally, just double up and do mixers all night with diet coke.

the ultimate solution to food problems is just do weightlifting then you want to get fat so you can lift more

420 lift heavy poo poo, eat like a fat rear end ere day

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

It depends on the person but typically cutting below like 8% or so is basically self-torture because you're fighting against your body tooth and nail to get that low without losing muscle and strength. That level of bodyfat is rare though, even the most ripped athletes you see are usually around 8%. The only people who go much below that are bodybuilders because they are insane, they have done studies showing that cutting to as low of bodyfat as they do (typically 4-5%) will seriously gently caress up your hormone levels for months.

Hahaha, so those bodybuilders are basically weak and sick? lol

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

MaxxBot posted:

Bodybuilders are literal crazy people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Digital Fingers posted:

basically as someone who used to drink until blackout drunk and chill with nothing about boozer punks all day and who's now changed their lifestyle and gets drunk maybe 2-3 times a year i can safely say you have no idea what you're talking about and beer makes you loving fat unless you're starving yourself

I am not going to argue about your experiences. But mine are different.

• Locked thread