Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder that anyone who claims that they eat nothing and weigh 300lbs or eat everything and weigh 120lbs actually eats the precise amount you'd expect someone of that weight to eat and is just too loving dumb to correctly estimate caloric intake

that's science, folks
I had a really fat roommate who frequently whined about his metabolism and how hard it was to lose weight. To be fair to him I honestly didn't see him snack much, but when it came to his meals I saw him on several occasions do stuff like microwave off entire family packs of ready made food (he liked these: http://www.hannaford.com/product/Redi-Serve-Chicken-Nibblers/836741.uts) and eat them in one sitting.

He also drank tons kool aid like juices using his special cup that was like the size of those huge slurpee cups at 7-11.

Whenever we ordered pizza for the apartment he'd basically eat as much as me and the two other roommates combined, and pizza is one of those things I liked to pig out and eat a disgusting amount of (which was a lot as I'm a really tall guy).

But yeah, his metabolism is why he couldn't lose weight. He seemed envious I'm skinny but like we went shopping together and he'd see me buy fresh produce and he'd just shuffle around until we hit the frozen food aisle and he'd load up on frozen garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

runupon cracker posted:

I've lost over 70 pounds, have gone from clinically obese to merely overweight, and later this year I'll be in the normal range. Losing weight is far and away the hardest thing I've ever done. Telling people it's easy is just making it more likely that they'll fail. Good job doing your part to keep fat people fat, I guess?
I think it depends on how you go about it. There's been a couple points in my life for whatever social reasons I ate out a lot and because most entrees anywhere you go are like half a day's worth of food or more if you're doing this consistently without changing your other habits you'll get fat. Whenever I notice myself packing on pounds (and it's pretty obvious because I always wear the same pant size, so if it starts getting tight I know something's up) I take a look at my diet and identify the foods I'm eating that I know cause me to consume more calories than I really need. After modifying what food I easily have access to, weight lost comes naturally and I sink back down to my more ideal weight range. The weight lost tends to be slow rather than rapid, because I'm not making a huge caloric deficit for myself or working out tons, but it's a steady couple pounds a month until I'm back where I like to be.

If you do it this way you don't feel hungry and it's not really ever a struggle, you just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. At first it can be helpful to put a little effort into portioning things out "This much food should fill me up, I'll wait a bit before going back for seconds", but over time you'll find that even when given a fuckload of food just ready to eat in front of you like in a restaurant or whatever, you'll naturally feel full sooner and be less inclined to overeat.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Orkin Mang posted:

every single goddamn fat person i've ever met never seemed to drink water, they were always drinking some loving soft drink, literally potable sugar, of course you're fat
Yeah this is a big one too, I pretty much drink beer, water, or milk exclusively.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

vyst posted:

I lost 200 pounds in 2013. What have you faggots done?
I didn't get fat in the first place? Seriously I can't imagine getting more than like 10-20 pounds heavier than I am now and not doing something about it. This is what always confuses me about fat people, do you really sorta just see your waist ballooning and just sigh to yourself "well, looks like I gotta go buy new pants"?

Good job though, I imagine the fatter you get the easier it is to say gently caress it and not try.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

vyst posted:

No you're just like well I could go to the gym or I could go get a baconator and 900 baconators later you're fat.
Well I mean its not that I don't understand this dilemma. For frame of reference I'm ~6'3 and about 180 pounds, I used to be more like 170 but after building some muscle via rock climbing 180 is my new skinny state. I personally like weed, beer, and food a lot and when you combine these things it's easy to gain weight. There's been a couple times where I really wasn't paying attention to what I ate and I'd go up to like 190 or even 200, but I'd notice the fat and be like "this is gross I need to lose weight" and do something about it. You don't gain 200 pounds overnight, how does that poo poo sneak up on you?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

vyst posted:

Honestly you do a lot of excuses for yourself. "I'll do it tomorrow", "Oh ok i'll get in gear after getting one more size larger" - then all of a sudden you're in a pile of quicksand you can't get out of. Also there's a chemical element behind eating fast food and it's addiction too. Brain chemistry when you have fast food and crave more is similar to a heroin addict. Not that it's a reason but there's definitely a chemical component to it which is why america is fat as poo poo and mcdonalds reigns supreme.
That's fair enough I guess, it's easy to judge an area of life I'm good at but there's a lot of other places where I could improve things with a modicum of effort and can't seem to be assed so maybe I'm just lucky my flaws aren't as glaringly obvious as pounds and pounds of flab.

Thank you for your honest responses even though my initial question was clearly phrased in a dickish way.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Bargearse posted:

alright so which tumblr did you get that from

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-most-useless-pieces-advice-everyone-gives/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Orkin Mang posted:

I remember clicking that link yesterday or something and then seeing each entry had about 6 paragraphs of text and closing it.

Five faces you pull on rollercoasters explained by science!
It's not that bad of an article as far as cracked stuff goes but it's mostly just whining that life isn't easy and there's no good short cuts or tricks to success. It's like yeah, just going for it is easier if you've been successful in the past but you're only going to have past successes if you just loving go for it until you're successful. The advice is simplistic because it's simple to identify the right thing to do, the hard part is actually following through with it.

About the only criticism in the article I agree with on a fundamental level is the one about "just being yourself" because realistically some people really need to change who they are if they want any social/career success. That's just universally terrible advice to give to someone who is being a person no one wants to date/hire.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I'm a thin guy who drinks 2 to 4 beers most nights, if anything the volume is just so filling it lowers my appetite for dinner. I pretty much never snack or binge on food when drinking.

Weed plus Carb heavy things that are easy eat like pasta though is a recipe for eating a days worth of food in one sitting.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 31, 2014

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Kak posted:

during a show they are because they take diuretics to lose water weight to a point where you could pass out or die
I recall seeing a gif where the guy was flexing and like his entire body cramped up and he had to be carried by like 4 dudes in this frozen pose of agony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

Friendly reminder: if you look down and can't see your dick its time to hit the gym
What if you have a micropenis?

Just checking for a friend.

• Locked thread