Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Oh, man. If there's one director that could get a great performance out of Sandler, it's Quentin Tarantino.

Have you seen Punch-Drunk Love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I really want to see Adam Sandler play a mass murderer, a dictator, or a cannibal or something similarly vile with the exact same mannerisms as his comedic persona.

I despise everything he's ever done but that alone would make up for it.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really want to see Adam Sandler play a mass murderer, a dictator, or a cannibal or something similarly vile with the exact same mannerisms as his comedic persona.

I'd rather he just flame out with the legacy of making putrid movies more than anything. I'd rather not have some respectable director throw him a bone over someone deserving.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Coffee And Pie posted:

Oh, man. If there's one director that could get a great performance out of Sandler, it's Quentin Tarantino.

[in high-pitched childish affect] A-shoobie doobie! *bashes in Nazi's skull w/ metal bat*

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm surprised nobody has said Bruce Willis' death at the end of Armageddon especially since that one guy brought up Michael Bay. Here we have a mindless action movie with a shaky premise that would piss the every-loving gently caress off of everyone on Reddit (they like their science over there) and cause the Internet to meltdown as a result yet that one scene at the end was actually well done and just sad.

I too think that Bay is a lot smarter than we give him credit for because he seems to understand what his strengths and weaknesses are. The one time he tried to do something he couldn't handle, Pearl Harbor, it failed and he never tried to do it again. The guy has been in Hollywood for almost 20 years now, has one flop to his credit (The Island, Pearl Harbor made money despite being a mess) which is amazing in this industry. There was a lot of hate for the man on this forum especially after Transformers 2 (which even Bay admits was a mess literally filmed without a script) but CD seems to understand where he's coming from now. He has strengths in really exciting action and some of the pure excesses in his films are just insane to experience. But, aside from that, he actually showed a knack for dark comedy even if it's poo poo that makes some people uncomfortable. Bad Boys 2 was a huge goon favorite (probably still is) because of the really morbidly dark comedy that was spliced into the film. Even Pain & Gain had a lot of people talking on CD with some wondering if he was the second coming of Paul Verhoeven with his dark commentary on society in that film.

Completely agree. Bad Boys 2 I thought had interesting commentary on police/law enforcement. It was clouded in explosions and boobs but nonetheless shows the rapid militarization of this country's law enforcement agencies.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

TrixRabbi posted:

Have you seen Punch-Drunk Love?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Sandlers performance is Punch Drunk Love is loving stellar. He's playing essentially the same character he did in his earlier films but put in a realistic setting.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Yaws posted:

Sandlers performance is Punch Drunk Love is loving stellar. He's playing essentially the same character he did in his earlier films but put in a realistic setting.
And under good direction. Paul Thomas Anderson is so good with actors that even if you didn't like his films otherwise, you couldn't deny the fact that the acting in his movies are ALWAYS top-notch.

Franz von Dada has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Feb 15, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Franz von Dada posted:

And under good direction. Paul Thomas Anderson is so good with actors that even if you didn't like his films otherwise, you couldn't deny the fact that the acting in his movies are ALWAYS top-notch.

I would argue that PT Anderson's films focus less on plot and more on character. Because of the lack of "A then B then C then...." hand-holding that most mainstream films strive for, many people are turned off by his films. I LOVE them though. He's got that Kubrick-esque quality of transfixing the viewer. You don't always know why you're watching but you can't look away.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Franz von Dada posted:

I haven't liked every PTA film I've seen, but I'd agree with this. But then, I also think actors are only as good as their director's ability to facilitate their work.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
The sequel to Babe, Babe: Pig in the City was a pretty interesting film and I'm not sure I would call it silly, the first one definitely had some emotional moments too. But there's one scene that I just thought was heart-rending when the little handicapped dog "dies" and his heaven is being able to run through a green pasture on his own two legs. Crap, I'm tearing up right now. (but don't worry, it all works out OK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXQnlp3uqJA

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even though it's not really a silly movie, but in the new Robocop where it's revealed that he's only left with his head, heart, lungs, and hand was really sad and depressing. Wasn't expecting that at all.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

What the gently caress? I had to turn this off after 15 secs, it's horrifying.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is basically Danny McBride's character arc in This Is The End, and it's amazing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

britishbornandbread posted:

The scene from Shallow Hal where he sees the burns victim girl for the first time since the spell on him has been lifted. Hits me like a train.

This was the first thing that came to mind for me. I remember just kind of coasting through the film and then the part where he meets her a second time, oh god nope, not crying, nope :smith:

Both scenes are here for those that are interested.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

This is basically Danny McBride's character arc in This Is The End, and it's amazing.

Every time someone brings that movie up, I'm going to single him out for praise. He really is that talented an actor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I think Funny People was, like, two good movies and a kind of mediocre movie crammed unceremoniously together.

It's pretty good until it becomes The Bridges of Marin County.

Justin Godscock posted:

Also, I think the reason why nobody really likes Adam Sandler anymore is the guy seems to be the one who stops trying after he hits it big. Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore still hold up (if you like silly humor) but lately the guy has been phoning it in bad relying on easy juvenile humor and stereotypes instead of carefully lacing them into his films. It was the same deal with SNL where he was great at first, then you watch his final season and he clearly stopped trying which is why he (and others) got fired during the 1995 purge.

It seems like Adam Sandler makes movies today as an excuse to take his friends on vacation.

He's been a rich guy in nearly every one of his movies for the last few years, because that lets him just do whatever without explaining it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It seems like Adam Sandler makes movies today as an excuse to take his friends on vacation.

He's been a rich guy in nearly every one of his movies for the last few years, because that lets him just do whatever without explaining it.

To be fair, it's probably more honest than trying to pretend he's still some poor bachelor schlub. He's been far removed from that lifestyle for a long time now, so making cheesy comedies about being a rich guy with young children is probably the truest expression of who he is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Every time someone brings that movie up, I'm going to single him out for praise. He really is that talented an actor.

Good writer, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Good writer, too.

I hate how I'm keeping his name spoiled for the sake of a joke, but yes, good writer as well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's pretty good until it becomes The Bridges of Marin County.

His "costumes" in those movies are the same shorts-and-tshirt that he wears everywhere in real life, as well. Dude is just that lazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

His "costumes" in those movies are the same shorts-and-tshirt that he wears everywhere in real life, as well. Dude is just that lazy.

He probably has a clause that lets him keep his wardrobe in his contracts so he never has to shop for clothes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
On the other hand, Sandler's laziness works to his advantage when he's on press tours for his movies because he's one of the few comedic actors that doesn't try way too hard to be funny in every goddamn interview(see: Kevin Hart). He can just do a normal interview and not annoy the poo poo out of me while doing it.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Tender Bender posted:

I can't really fault this because I'd probably do the exact same thing in that situation.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

To be fair, it's probably more honest than trying to pretend he's still some poor bachelor schlub. He's been far removed from that lifestyle for a long time now, so making cheesy comedies about being a rich guy with young children is probably the truest expression of who he is.

So in other words, he's not an "actor" anymore?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
When Mel Gibson is finally seen beside his wife trapped between a car and a tree in Signs

I have a soft spot for Signs - a much under appreciated movie, in my opinion.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's not a silly movie by any means, but the bit in The Breakfast Club where Vernon confronts Bender in the supply closet. Just a great moment where suddenly all the comedy is gone out of their relationship.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WastedJoker posted:

When Mel Gibson is finally seen beside his wife trapped between a car and a tree in Signs

I have a soft spot for Signs - a much under appreciated movie, in my opinion.

This reminds me of the scene in Independence Day when the first lady is bleeding to death in the hospital. I think the part that really gets me is the doctors performance as he tries to tell the President the prognosis. Whoever that guy was he's a drat good actor and I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
The speech the dad gives Ice Cube in the first Friday about how kids are so afraid of taking an rear end kicking that they just kill each other instead. I swear it pops up in the back of my head whenever I hear about people shooting each other over silliness.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
When Mario van Peebles gets ate by the shark in Jaws the Revenge.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

When Mario van Peebles gets ate by the shark in Jaws the Revenge.

It's okay because in at least one version of the movie he gets better.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm gonna say Hit Girl's reaction to her dying father in Kick rear end and then basically blaming Kick rear end for that death in the car ride afterward.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Batman & Robin has one poignant scene which really captures the nobility and futility of Batman. It's amazing that it exists in a movie which is otherwise so godawful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBJ93zhz2Cg

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

For me, it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. While I'd argue the whole movie is pretty drat good, the scenes with Splinter and Raphael, Splinter and Danny (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hciTSjAe73Y) and the mystical seance that kickstarts the last act really hit home in a personal way.

geeves has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Feb 19, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Batman & Robin has one poignant scene which really captures the nobility and futility of Batman. It's amazing that it exists in a movie which is otherwise so godawful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBJ93zhz2Cg

Make that two poignant scenes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJADOqwmc3I

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That's from Batman Forever. :ssh:

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
John Carter premise was pretty silly considering the main character's super power was being able to jump really really high. However I still liked the movie. This scene always makes me pretty emotional, I'm guessing its the music that sounds like it was ripped off from Lost, because the opening of Star Trek (2009) was similarly moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ZeptdPPrU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

dundun posted:

John Carter premise was pretty silly considering the main character's super power was being able to jump really really high. However I still liked the movie. This scene always makes me pretty emotional, I'm guessing its the music that sounds like it was ripped off from Lost, because the opening of Star Trek (2009) was similarly moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ZeptdPPrU

All 3 had the same composer - Michael Giacchino.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's from Batman Forever. :ssh:

That movie had some amazing line readings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBEz-wfq8Ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

effectual posted:

The scene of any movie I cry the most to is the climax of The Green Mile. I know it's not exactly a comedy, but has quite a few laughs through the movie.
It's overall a pretty saccharine movie, predictable and not very challenging, but boy when it gets to the night before the execution and Tom Hanks is tearfully asking John Coffey what he's supposed to tell God if he's asked why he let an innocent man be put to death... I started getting teary eyed in the theater and then I actually felt ashamed of myself for getting emotional in such an otherwise mediocre movie.

• Locked thread