Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

So is there an actual reason the girl turtle is so reviled beyond typical gross nerd misogyny? Did she throw off the sacred "leading the team/cool but rude" and "does machines/party dude" balance?

I don't mind the idea, but she was clearly only there for marketing reasons - her whole character was Poochy personified.

Though that show would have been bad with or without her anyway.

The Archie comics had that lady fox samurai character become part of the team for a while and I really liked her at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

So is there an actual reason the girl turtle is so reviled beyond typical gross nerd misogyny? Did she throw off the sacred "leading the team/cool but rude" and "does machines/party dude" balance?

The show she's from was amazingly bad and she was easily the worst character on it simply because of her lovely "I don't know what things are" bland personality. And I think all the dude turtles had a crush on her too, which is like the laziest cliche.

She's an easier emblem of the terrible decisions of the show than the other original characters, because they were just generic-looking sentai villains in bad costumes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BioTech posted:

Bought the first TPB on a whim last month. I liked the Turtles as a kid, watched the cartoon, played the games, etc. but it didn't leave an impression on me the way Transformers did.

Still, the new comic was pretty decent and I got the second trade just yesterday. I'll probably keep buying one a month or so if the quality holds up.

The series really kicks in once the Foot shows up. The main problem with the series is that they released Micro-Series issues that get their own trade and sometimes the reading order is pretty important. Here's a good reading order list I found, although Infestation 2 isn't at all important:

TMNT #1
TMNT #2
TMNT #3
TMNT #4

TMNT #5
Mirco-series #1: Raphael
Micro-series #2: Michelangelo
TMNT #6
Micro-series #3: Donatello
Infestation 2: TMNT #1
Infestation 2: TMNT #2
TMNT #7
TMNT #8

Micro-series #4: Leonardo
TMNT #9
TMNT #10
Micro-series #5: Splinter/TMNT #11
TMNT #12

Micro-series #6: Casey Jones
TMNT #13
TMNT #14
TMNT 2012 Annual
Micro-series #7: April O'Neil
TMNT #15
TMNT #16

Micro-series #8: Fugitoid
TMNT #17
TMNT #18
TMNT #19
TMNT #20
Villain Micro-series #1: Krang
Villain Micro-series #2: Baxter

Secret History of The Foot Clan #1
Secret History of The Foot Clan #2
Secret History of The Foot Clan #3
Secret History of The Foot Clan #4

TMNT #21
Villain Micro-series #4: Alopex
TMNT #22
Villain Micro-series #3: Old Hob/TMNT #23
TMNT #24
Villain Micro-series #5: Karai
TMNT #25
Villain Micro-series #6: Hun/TMNT #26
Villain Micro-series #7: Bebop and Rocksteady
TMNT #27
TMNT #28
Villain Micro-series #8: Shredder

TMNT #29
Utrom Empire #1
TMNT #30
Conspiracy: TMNT #1
TMNT #31
TMNT #32

Ones that share a line on that list are ones that take place roughly at the same time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

By the way, if you loved the original Mirage series, the Leonardo one-shot is a loving tribute to both those comics and Frank Miller's Daredevil. Leo vs So Many Ninjas looks gorgeous.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

The series really kicks in once the Foot shows up. The main problem with the series is that they released Micro-Series issues that get their own trade and sometimes the reading order is pretty important. Here's a good reading order list I found, although Infestation 2 isn't at all important:

TMNT #1
TMNT #2
TMNT #3
TMNT #4

TMNT #5
Mirco-series #1: Raphael
Micro-series #2: Michelangelo
TMNT #6
Micro-series #3: Donatello
Infestation 2: TMNT #1
Infestation 2: TMNT #2
TMNT #7
TMNT #8

Micro-series #4: Leonardo
TMNT #9
TMNT #10
Micro-series #5: Splinter/TMNT #11
TMNT #12

Micro-series #6: Casey Jones
TMNT #13
TMNT #14
TMNT 2012 Annual
Micro-series #7: April O'Neil
TMNT #15
TMNT #16

Micro-series #8: Fugitoid
TMNT #17
TMNT #18
TMNT #19
TMNT #20
Villain Micro-series #1: Krang
Villain Micro-series #2: Baxter

Secret History of The Foot Clan #1
Secret History of The Foot Clan #2
Secret History of The Foot Clan #3
Secret History of The Foot Clan #4

TMNT #21
Villain Micro-series #4: Alopex
TMNT #22
Villain Micro-series #3: Old Hob/TMNT #23
TMNT #24
Villain Micro-series #5: Karai
TMNT #25
Villain Micro-series #6: Hun/TMNT #26
Villain Micro-series #7: Bebop and Rocksteady
TMNT #27
TMNT #28
Villain Micro-series #8: Shredder

TMNT #29
Utrom Empire #1
TMNT #30
Conspiracy: TMNT #1
TMNT #31
TMNT #32

Ones that share a line on that list are ones that take place roughly at the same time.

They just started publishing the series here in Mexico and I don't know how the gently caress are gonna do to deliver the whole story without having a MASSIVE backlog given than is just the monthly (We're on issue 2...)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I was about to start a thread for this myself, especially after reading that last issue. So good.

In fact, the IDW comic has been a particularly solid version, especially considering they've put out close to 50 issues in 3 years or so. I dare say, what with the reincarnation angle, that it's slowly becoming my favorite version. Such a unique take, and yet it feels so totally "right". The only weak part is the war with the Neutrinos, and even that's not bad, just not as good as everything else.

Little Mac posted:

I think everything about the current series is great, even if a lot of the time everyone else is way more interesting than the Turtles themselves (Casey Jones' dad, for instance).

They've always been kind of reactionary characters, though. I just reread the entirety of Mirage Volume 1, and it's surprising how many adventures happen because they stumble upon some wizard or superhero or accidentally travel through time or whatever. They're worse than Inspector Clouseau.

NotAnArtist posted:

Was metalhead just an AI or did he have an actual brain? It's been so long since I've read about him and searching said info outside of the thread just seems antisocial.

He's always a robot.

Hakkesshu posted:

The Archie comics had that lady fox samurai character become part of the team for a while and I really liked her at the time.

Ninjara. The new comic looks to be doing something very similar with Alopex.

Also, count me among the jerks, because Donatello is where it's at. But, for what it's worth, I was into Raph until I realized they'd probably still be living in a cold, dark sewer if not for the guy that craps out inter-dimensional portals every other Tuesday.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Raph beating Leo in a straight fight is still the coolest part of the 2007 TMNT movie.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
For all of its flaws, that movie did a lot of stuff really well The Raph/Leo fight, Don doing tech support, April's Bruce Lee suit, and a really strong (if somewhat superfluous) Casey Jones. I remember the Mikey voice being particularly great.

Patrick Stewart was fun, too. He just got sidelined by whatever his plan was. Resurrect his friends and then, … something? Trying to fulfill some prophecy so he could finally die, I think? At any rate, it involved a collecting monsters montage. Like all great plans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

For all of its flaws, that movie did a lot of stuff really well The Raph/Leo fight, Don doing tech support, April's Bruce Lee suit, and a really strong (if somewhat superfluous) Casey Jones. I remember the Mikey voice being particularly great.

Patrick Stewart was fun, too. He just got sidelined by whatever his plan was. Resurrect his friends and then, … something? Trying to fulfill some prophecy so he could finally die, I think? At any rate, it involved a collecting monsters montage. Like all great plans.

The animated film is hands down my favorite TMNT incarnation.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I'd still put it a step below the original movie. Even if it's a little dated, Elias Koteas was a badass, Judith Hoag was a great April, and the score was awesome in an early 90's synthesizer-heavy kind of way. Plus it condensed the first real chunk of comics while channeling the more defined personalities from the Fred Wolf cartoon and stayed true to both.

In a lot of ways, it's also the origin of the idea that Raph and Leo don't always get along all that well that led to its inevitable conclusion with the rooftop fight in the 2007 movie. The early Mirage Turtles were mostly interchangeable personality-wise.

Of course, none of that occurred to me until I'd watched both of them more than any one person should.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The nunchuk scene is Mikey's moment in that film. I still think it's dumb to chuck a sai at a streetlight. Ninjas did have throwing stars for that kind of stuff.

EDIT:

http://www.cracked.com/video_18260_which-ninja-turtle-are-you-lifes-most-important-question.html
Cracked After Hours analyzes in-depth :spergin: over the turtles.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 1, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

I'd still put it a step below the original movie. Even if it's a little dated, Elias Koteas was a badass, Judith Hoag was a great April, and the score was awesome in an early 90's synthesizer-heavy kind of way. Plus it condensed the first real chunk of comics while channeling the more defined personalities from the Fred Wolf cartoon and stayed true to both.

In a lot of ways, it's also the origin of the idea that Raph and Leo don't always get along all that well that led to its inevitable conclusion with the rooftop fight in the 2007 movie. The early Mirage Turtles were mostly interchangeable personality-wise.

Of course, none of that occurred to me until I'd watched both of them more than any one person should.

Paige Turco is the superior April O'neil and always will be.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

The animated film is hands down my favorite TMNT incarnation.

It's not even the best animated TMNT movie.

"WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THAT?! WHO DO YOU KEEP TALKING TO?! THERE’S NO ONE THERE!"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

poo poo, I forgot about Turtles Forever. That thing rules. The end segment where they encounter the original Turtles is so awesome.

What a weird-rear end franchise. I really want to know what it took to get that film made.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Action Tortoise posted:

The nunchuk scene is Mikey's moment in that film. I still think it's dumb to chuck a sai at a streetlight. Ninjas did have throwing stars for that kind of stuff.

In the first issue, Raph throws a sai with a note attached to it into Oroku Saki's office, so he's done worse, and they definitely weren't going to spend half an hour on some tangential plot with Baxter Stockman just to get April into the story. But yeah, that is silly. If they were able to scrounge up traditional weapons, they should've been able to get at least a handful of knives or stars each.

Cool video.

Rhyno posted:

Paige Turco is the superior April O'neil and always will be.

She was good, but we didn't get to see her with Casey. Keno was not a good substitute.

Hakkesshu posted:

What a weird-rear end franchise. I really want to know what it took to get that film made.

Merchandise.

Every version of TMNT is different, but they're all incredibly weird, and most are worth watching just to see what nonsense can be attached to the inherent nonsense of the concept. I couldn't make it through the season where they traveled through the internet to collect pieces of Splinter's data. I assume they managed to find all of them and everything was fine and then they had pizza.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm watching TMNT3.

Please Lord have mercy on my soul.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'm watching TMNT3.

Even the innocent stupidity of youth couldn't make that movie work, it was a disappointment in a Turtles-themed sleepover setting. Godspeed you foolish bastard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh god, it was so horrible!

I now hate the Turtles and am closing the thread!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

Oh god, it was so horrible!

I now hate the Turtles and am closing the thread!

That's pretty much exactly how the studio execs reacted, which is why the planned 4th live action film got shitcanned. :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Leonardo was always my favorite. I tend to associate with "hero" types, and his weapons are just the coolest.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's pretty much exactly how the studio execs reacted, which is why the planned 4th live action film got shitcanned. :v:

Let's be honest here. TMNT3 was bad enough, imagine how much worse TMNT4 could have been. Some movies are so bad they end franchises, but a sequel to TMNT3 would have destroyed Hollywood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

It's not even the best animated TMNT movie.

"WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THAT?! WHO DO YOU KEEP TALKING TO?! THERE’S NO ONE THERE!"

I really need to stop putting off watching that movie.

Speaking of the cartoons, some years back I found a DVD with a few season 1 episodes of the 80s cartoon and, as a bonus, some unaired episodes of the late 90s continuation where everyone had stupid-rear end secondary mutations and fought aliens.

Two notable things: that show hasn't aged well at all, considering that the early episodes were almost exactly as bad as the Lord Dregg poo poo, which I knew was garbage when it originally aired. And second, the DVD was packaged in a way that was clearly designed to trick parents and kids into thinking it was the at-the-time new Fox cartoon, complete with having lyrics from that show's theme song on the back in huge letters.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 1, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Are you implying that you can't flood an office building using the sprinkler system? Blasphemy!

I had that DVD. It's the first time I'd ever heard of the "Red Sky" TMNT. It looked terrible.

Rhyno posted:

I'm watching TMNT3.

Your bravery inspired me to rewatch The Next Mutation. I don't know why, but I'm determined to prove that it's just as valid as any other iteration, even if it has a fifth turtle with Deus Ex Shinobi Magic ™. So far, she single-handedly defeated The Shredder by "bringing Oroku Saki's consciousness back through a sea of hate called The Shredder". And then Leonardo turned to the Foot soldiers, told them they were disbanded, and everyone just walks away. CASE CLOSED.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Inkspot posted:

Your bravery inspired me to rewatch The Next Mutation. I don't know why, but I'm determined to prove that it's just as valid as any other iteration, even if it has a fifth turtle with Deus Ex Shinobi Magic ™. So far, she single-handedly defeated The Shredder by "bringing Oroku Saki's consciousness back through a sea of hate called The Shredder". And then Leonardo turned to the Foot soldiers, told them they were disbanded, and everyone just walks away. CASE CLOSED.

The crossover with the Power Rangers still is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Leo's swords in Next Mutation could split into two blades. He was basically swinging hedge clippers. I think Mikey only used tonfas instead of nunchuks.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Turtles Forever is great. I love seeing the ways the different generations of turtles react to each other and their respective worlds, even if the old turtles were reduced to goofy stereotypes for comedy value. I kind of want another one that includes the newest turtles because I love them and want to see the ways they interact with each other.

I'm solidly a Donny fan, especially in the new show. I can't help but love how goofy and nerdy he is. His crush on April is well-written and he's always there to feel the consequences of his actions. He tries so hard to be perfect, and no matter how many times he falls short, he keeps on trying.

I haven't watched anything past Slash in the new show because I'm still pretty upset about that episode. Spike!!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

GabrielAisling posted:

I haven't watched anything past Slash in the new show because I'm still pretty upset about that episode. Spike!!

It probably helps that no episodes of the new show have aired since that one. It comes back tomorrow though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I always saw the '07 movie as a merged sequel to everything made up to that point, shame they never got to make another one. I liked how it implied Leo murdering that guy in the forest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

GabrielAisling posted:

Turtles Forever is great. I love seeing the ways the different generations of turtles react to each other and their respective worlds, even if the old turtles were reduced to goofy stereotypes for comedy value.

Uh, if you mean the 80s cartoon turtles, they were goofy stereotypes from the get-go.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Regardless, you should watch the Turtles Forever animated movie. Such a huge love letter to the series and that gif has me chuckling all the time. It's so great when it throws everyone off when they don't know the 80s turtles are trying to break the 4th wall everytime.

It's a shame they couldn't get Uncle Phil to reprise his roll as shredder. (mostly cuz it was a non union type film) They made him look like a real pansy compared to the other shredders.

As for the thread's question? My favorite was Raph. He was probably the most I could connect to because I used to have a short temper myself and I could relate to Raph.

So yeah I was rooting when he kicked Leo's rear end in the TMNT2007 movie. I also enjoyed the first movie because how much of a different tone of the movie was compared to 2.

Granted both were great.

Unlike that third one.

Goddamn it.

I always felt TMNT2007 was basically TMNT4 honestly. It felt like years later and all the turtles were doing their own thing. Granted the villans could've been better but it was a pretty good film. Not to mention it pretty much was all about Leo and Raph brother relationship and the way it concludes was very nice.

I was kinda looking forward to that one teaser quip by that one Foot soldier ( I can't recall her name) basically hinting Shredder would return.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 1, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Uh, if you mean the 80s cartoon turtles, they were goofy stereotypes from the get-go.

They still go a little too far into that direction to the point that instead of four characters, they're all just Michelangelo with different eye masks. That and the replacement voices are my only complaints about that movie.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

AzraelNewtype posted:

It probably helps that no episodes of the new show have aired since that one. It comes back tomorrow though.

Huh. I was sure we had episodes to watch, but I guess not.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Quick reminder that tomorrow's new episode is the episode that'll have Casey Jones and Raphael beating up robot ninjas together. :krad:

EDIT: Oh, and according to this, this week's episode and next week's are swapped, as in Slash's was episode 7, tomorrow's 9 and then we'll get 8 (afterwards it's 10 and the right order). So i'm betting Casey meets the turtles on episode 8, so it'll look like out of nowhere when they get along like nothing tomorrow.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 2, 2014

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Crossposting from the BSS chat thread. I wanna see this. I dug the Ultimate collections but wish they had done the full run.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My favourite version of the TMNT is still Michael Zulli's 1990/91 version:

Zulli also did the art on the unpublished issue of Swamp Thing where Swampy met Jesus which was was cancelled when the DC president thought it was too inflammatory, which led to writer Rick Veitch quitting the company.

I remember randomly getting some of it as a kid and there was just some crazy weird poo poo and cool rear end art. Something that the Archie series lacked. Well, the Archie series had that cosmic cow thingy.

It always blows my mind how this little comic blew up so huge. This kinda jokey concept and all of a sudden you are a global phenom. I wonder who the big company exec was who looked at this weird comic and said this could be huge with the kids. Toys, TV, movies...

Edit: What is the best way to fill in the gaps in the Ultimate Collections. I see the Classics but those seem pretty skimpy, three issues. Really?

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 2, 2014

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

sporklift posted:

Edit: What is the best way to fill in the gaps in the Ultimate Collections. I see the Classics but those seem pretty skimpy, three issues. Really?

I'm don't think they've ever been collected in larger volumes. In the early 90s, Mirage put out black and white TPB collections, but they were largely grouped in the same way (and even those editions only cover gap issues up to #30). I prefer them to the new collections, as I like the classic black and white art much more than the recent colorized versions. It APPEARS that you may actually be able to order some of them from Mirage, but it's hard to tell how reliable their website is these days.

TMNT Collected Book Volume Two
First Printing: May, 1990

Collects issues #12-14.

By Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird and Michael Dooney

TMNT Collected Book Volume Three
First Printing: June, 1990

Collects issues #15, #17 and #18.

By Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Eric Talbot and Mark Bodé

TMNT Collected Book Volume Four
First Printing: October, 1990

Collects issues #19-21.

By Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Jim Lawson and Eric Talbot

TMNT Collected Book Volume Five
First Printing: November, 1990

Collects issues #16, #22 and #23.

By Mark Martin

TMNT Collected Book Volume Six
First Printing: July, 1991

Collects issues #24-26.

By Rick Veitch

TMNT Collected Book Volume Seven
First Printing: November, 1991

Collects issues #27-29.

By Michael Dooney, Steve Murphy, Jim Lawson and A.C. Farley

The Zulli books were collected for the first time in 2007.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last year at C2E2 I saw a mockup of volume 1 of the "TMNT The IDW Collection Vol.1." Essentially the same as the Transformers HC collections collecting the stories on chronological order. I just spent a few minutes and I can't find even a single mention of them.
I'm a little annoyed because I figured they'd have released at least the first volume by now.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Following this timeline, I read most of the in-continuity Mirage stuff through their first volume. Couldn't ever find a copy of that Tales v2 issue with Zog during the Return to New York story. I think it all came out to around 65 issues, including some of the guest era stuff like The River. Plus, I went back and read Zulli's three issues. They're simultaneously the most and least new reader-friendly TMNT has ever been.

And the panel of Donatello he has as the header image is perfect.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Gavok posted:

Thanks! I saw the Micro series and the Foot Clan thing, but figured they were one-shots I could read at any time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought the TMNT live action show was a fever dream I had. Holy crap that was real.

I may have to dip over and check IDW's TMNT and check it out. How close does the new comic stack up to the original cartoon? I remember reading the original E&L comics but they were kinda all over the place so I'm hoping for something better.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The IDW comic still has a few big characters to introduce, but it's done a good job of pulling ideas from all over and streamlining them to work together in the same continuity. In a lot of ways, it even follows the arcs of the original comic, starting with gang fights, then introducing ninjas, then having a war in space, then going back to more ninjas and gangs. This time with mutants.

If the IDW stories set in Northampton are anything like the original Mirage stories were, there's going to be a lot of mystical portals and supernatural antics over the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched the first two episodes of the new series and I was pleasantly surprised. Obviously it's aimed at kids but it's not dumbed down garbage like so many other shows.

• Locked thread