Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I think the anxiety you're giving yourself is going to be worse for you in the long run then radon or VOC's. I'm the same way but have been getting more realistic as I age.

With two big garage doors at ground level being opened at least once a day that heavy radon will spill right out. Mostly it is an issue in houses with bedrooms in fully submerged basements that were never intended for habitation. The better rubberized epoxy garage floor systems will block radon and are low VOC, although you could just leave the doors part way open for the day or so that it will be off-gasssing. As far as the day to day vapors from working in the shop with solvents and cars coming and going all that should be necessary is some weatherstripping around the door to the stairs and a box fan that can fit in the window when you are working with nasty stuff.

For lighting I've had good luck with t8 lamps for general lighting and a halogen overhead desk light for the workbench plus a couple 250-watt halogen work lights to place where I need. Having tons of overhead lights in a workshop can be pretty pointless if you are working on cars because the roof and hood will shade the areas that you are most likely to be working on; two well placed small work lights will be way more useful. That said T8's are great since they aren't point sources but linear sources and I would put one on either side of the bike lift definitely.

edit: Have you looked at the recessed florescent's? It might be a pain to install since the ceiling in the garage is finished but it would give you a few extra inches of clearance.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread