Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
EDF 5 is 40% off on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
And 4.1 is 30% off :)

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
And Iron Rain is nothing off!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Wing Diver Shooter is 85% off. Holy poo poo!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtsbOpRnZ3w

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Playing all over again after playing on PS4 (god drat control stick aiming sucked). Sergeant will always have a special place in my heart.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Leal posted:

Playing all over again after playing on PS4 (god drat control stick aiming sucked). Sergeant will always have a special place in my heart.

I will DEFINITELY totally get you to a safe place this time.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Drakenel posted:

He was trying so hard :3:

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
I liked how long it takes to no longer be called newbie.

Again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Technically you never die, so the whole time the real safe place was being with him :monocle:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The EDF games are really good at getting me unreasonably emotionally attached to totally faceless NPCs who don't even have actual names. I love Sarge and the Grim Reapers.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Leal posted:

Technically you never die, so the whole time the real safe place was being with him :monocle:

This makes it sound like a cheesy valentine.

EDF would totally do that in awkward grammar.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kanos posted:

The EDF games are really good at getting me unreasonably emotionally attached to totally faceless NPCs who don't even have actual names. I love Sarge and the Grim Reapers.

To be fair: Sarge has a kickass laser gun and a can-do spirit.

Also he totally does get you to a safe place after he helps you kill God

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Night10194 posted:

To be fair: Sarge has a kickass laser gun and a can-do spirit.

Also he totally does get you to a safe place after he helps you kill God

If nowhere on Earth is safe, all you have to do is make a safe place. :black101:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat, how did I miss this bit before on Sergeant's wisdom on the humanoid aliens: A headshot will instantly kill an alien, but its really hard to hit their heads so take out their legs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If it weren't for the motherfuckers with hitscan sniper lasers, I'd completely love everything they did with the alien infantry. Even as is, they're a really big improvement on Hectors as an enemy.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

But I like the RoboJigglin’ dance parties that happen with Hectors...

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Nothing like shooting them in the face with a high power weapon and watching their head slam into the ground.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Quicksilver6 posted:

Throwing a decoy on them and they twist and turn trying to get it like a bad itch.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Night10194 posted:

If it weren't for the motherfuckers with hitscan sniper lasers, I'd completely love everything they did with the alien infantry. Even as is, they're a really big improvement on Hectors as an enemy.
I deffo agree, being flanked in an edf game felt loving wild. I love how they force you really take advantage of the buildings and actually plan and prioritize targets and poo poo.

Theres not many enemy types that are so completely disruptive to your battle plan as the laser pointer dudes and i kinda love that about them. Like I have so many cool splitscreen memories where we were suddenly forced to co-ordinate and take down this one loving enemy, juggling our energy and ammo to keep him pinned down so we can close in for the kill. Trading aggro with the laser and keeping the swarm at bay while your ranger buddy puts the fucker down with their shotgun. Now back to busness.

They killed us more than anything else so taking them down was always a pleasure.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

How is fencer supposed to deal with queen ants in EDF 5

I'm only on Hard and these things seem like they have like 12000 health which is pretty rude and they keep shutting down my mission 40 brutal battle attempts

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I'm only on Hard and these things seem like they have like 12000 health which is pretty rude and they keep shutting down my mission 40 brutal battle attempts

Blasthole Spear + Cannon Shot or Dispersal Mortar

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Queen ants' only attack is the spray, which you can dodge by getting in their face forever (since it's fired from a single point before spreading out over distance). A Vulcan Hammer works wonders.

Just be sure to lure them out into the open so the shots don't bounce around... and be careful of the regular ants.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Boosting up to them and unloading a jackhammer is my favorite. Jackhammer is so satisfying, especially when used to club off a humanoid's legs.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Is there any rhyme or reason in EDF 5 on what stats get upgraded from weapon boxes? I've got a few weapons that are refusing to upgrade a couple crucial stats from 0 or 1 stars.

Reallycoolname posted:

Queen ants' only attack is the spray, which you can dodge by getting in their face forever (since it's fired from a single point before spreading out over distance). A Vulcan Hammer works wonders.

Just be sure to lure them out into the open so the shots don't bounce around... and be careful of the regular ants.
I seem to be having trouble with the Vulcan Hammer - it doesn't seem to be registering the hits? I know the Vulcan Hammer is picky about targets in the air versus the ground and the Queens are pretty high up. For something doing 2400 damage on full charge, it seems to take a ton of them to get the job done versus a pair of Dexter Shotguns.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Every weapon you get just rolls each stat's rating randomly. It seems to make it a little easier to get a weapon to it's mid-range stats, but really annoying to max out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I seem to be having trouble with the Vulcan Hammer - it doesn't seem to be registering the hits? I know the Vulcan Hammer is picky about targets in the air versus the ground and the Queens are pretty high up. For something doing 2400 damage on full charge, it seems to take a ton of them to get the job done versus a pair of Dexter Shotguns.

The blast radius is pretty small, which is one big reason why I prefer Blastholes for general use. Try boost-jumping right up in their faces before you swing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Get right under them and they won't be able to splash you. Use double blastspears to stay under them and dual NC cannons tear them apart quickly.

Is there any rhyme or reason in EDF 5 on what stats get upgraded from weapon boxes? I've got a few weapons that are refusing to upgrade a couple crucial stats from 0 or 1 stars.
You have a difficulty where the item may drop until you get past the gap, the item plateaus to a point and you pick the next difficulty and farm the rest of the stuff from there. There is a bias in range being the first to max.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP718EOKVRw

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 10, 2019

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Vulcan Hammers are actually a little tricky because of two things:

1) The actual damage comes from the explosions generated in front of you, so if you're too close you won't actually connect

2) While you're spinning around for the swing you have massively reduced knockback resistance, so enemies can knock you away out of range

But with practice it is immensely satisfying to use, especially against frogs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I generally use blastholes for my Fencer's melee because they're some of the most satisfying weapons in the game, in my opinion.

Lance-charging giant rear end in a top hat aliens with a mortar and an explosive spear or dashing through ants killing whole lines of them is fun as hell and exactly what I play Fencer for when I play Fencer.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I finally unlocked the Free Bike and immediately fell in love with attaching bombs to it.
Just now, i ran into a wall and my bike was destroyed, so I set off the bombs and each explosion launched its husk further and further upwards like a rocket, straight into a red drone, destroying it with the final blast.

This is probably the best game I've ever played.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
C70 hell bike missiles can solve almost all problems :getin:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

RoyalScion posted:

C70 hell bike missiles can solve almost all problems :getin:
And for anything else, strap them on Wing Divers.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Finally got this on sale. Begin the grind for the good guns!

Anyone get weird freezing at 1920x1080? Ok sandlot I'll play your weird suggested letterbox resolution for now

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Vaporware posted:

Finally got this on sale. Begin the grind for the good guns!

Anyone get weird freezing at 1920x1080? Ok sandlot I'll play your weird suggested letterbox resolution for now

Do you have G-Sync enabled? I had to do something in the nvidia control panel because the game would freeze whenever text was displayed on the screen. It happens in both 4.1 and 5 but only when G-Sync is enabled. I'm sorry I can't give better advice at the moment. I think it may have been to change the vsync option for each program in the control panel but if you don't use G-Sync it might be a different issue. Opening the chat wheel in a SP mission was the fastest way I found to test it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Got both DLC that matter besides the decoys. If EDF5 was missing something, it was even more OP weapons.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
HalfCoordinated doing a EDF5 run at AGDQ right now: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Storm One posted:

HalfCoordinated doing a EDF5 run at AGDQ right now: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/

The constant "EDF! EDF!" in chat made me so happy.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I just finished my first normal playthrough of EDF5.

What an amazingly stupid and great game.

I bought the game on release on PS4, but been playing all the classes so it took a while. Huge improvement over 4.1. Especially loving the Fencer changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The mission packs sure are not lying about the difficulty spikes. Even on Hard, I get worn down from the constant spawns.