Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't handle the stagger. it's immensely aggravating, to the extent that i never bothered to finish the game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bofast posted:

How in the world does Iron Rain refuse to run in what should be fairly standard 2560x1440p resolution when I'm pretty sure even EDF4.1 for all its weirdness does so without a problem? It's Unreal Engine, even.

Because it's made by Yuke's, who are legendary for producing janky piles of jank. They made all the WWE wrestling games from like 2000 to 2018, for reference.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gameko posted:

A whole bunch of EDF games are on sale on steam.

Sooooo as someone who hasn't played any of these where do I start?

5 and buy it for your friends

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I'd personally say start with 4.1 just because even though 5 has more interesting toys to play with 4.1's overall pacing and mission design are better imo, but honestly you can't go wrong with either one

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Bofast posted:

How in the world does Iron Rain refuse to run in what should be fairly standard 2560x1440p resolution when I'm pretty sure even EDF4.1 for all its weirdness does so without a problem? It's Unreal Engine, even.

You can use Unreal Engine console injector to set a frame rate and resolution higher than the default, but I have no idea why it isn't available in the menus or wasn't patched in eventually. Take a look here for more information. Necessary for resolutions higher than 1080, IMO, because it is blurry as hell otherwise. You can use the | symbol to enter multiple commands on one line. For example:

r.SetRes 2560x1440 | t.MaxFPS 143

will change max res and frame rate cap in just one line. The next time you open the game with the injector and hit tilde, you can press the up arrow to bring back the previous command witbout retyping it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I found that injector workaround, but I have already requested a refund. Thanks, though :)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Bofast posted:

Yeah, I found that injector workaround, but I have already requested a refund. Thanks, though :)

Completely understandable. I will eventually create a cheat engine table to find those values so I don't have to use the injector, but having to use any third-party software to fix such an obvious issue is just asking for refunds. The pro to using a CE table over the injector is that you can freeze the value as long as the game remains open. The injector requires you to occasionally open up the console, press up, and re-enter the command because it swaps back to 1080/60 during some loading screens or cutscenes.

Iron Rain's biggest issue is that you can't join multiplayer games in progress or even just hang out in a lobby waiting for the mission to be over, so the only time lobbies are listed is when they are open between missions. It really kills the MP compared to something like EDF 4.1 or 5 where you can hop in and wait for the group to finish. I have launched it so many times looking for a game and have only ever joined on two people. Unfortunately, it sold poorly to even poorer reviews, so there chance of any more patches is about as good as Nintendo selling Breath of the Wild on Steam.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It took about 80 hours, but I finally got that last DLC weapon to drop. I didn't even notice it was a DLC item when I was playing with others. The mission packs are worth it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

Completely understandable. I will eventually create a cheat engine table to find those values so I don't have to use the injector, but having to use any third-party software to fix such an obvious issue is just asking for refunds. The pro to using a CE table over the injector is that you can freeze the value as long as the game remains open. The injector requires you to occasionally open up the console, press up, and re-enter the command because it swaps back to 1080/60 during some loading screens or cutscenes.

Iron Rain's biggest issue is that you can't join multiplayer games in progress or even just hang out in a lobby waiting for the mission to be over, so the only time lobbies are listed is when they are open between missions. It really kills the MP compared to something like EDF 4.1 or 5 where you can hop in and wait for the group to finish. I have launched it so many times looking for a game and have only ever joined on two people. Unfortunately, it sold poorly to even poorer reviews, so there chance of any more patches is about as good as Nintendo selling Breath of the Wild on Steam.
Yeah. I have used 3rd party fixes for a lot of games over the years, but seeing as how this wasn't even a permanent fix it didn't seem worth it. It's like the stupid keybind solution for the terrible FoV in Borderlands 1.

I had no idea the multiplayer was so bad, but that's yet another reason to not keep it. Too bad they could not put out a better product :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd be all for other companies making edf games if only they weren't so bad at it.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

How's the matchmaking in edf5?

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Gameko posted:

How's the matchmaking in edf5?

There's never a shortage of players because the EDF fanbase is hella dedicated. Sorta like Monster Hunter.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Less people for the mission packs though, sadly.
Also, did I see that right that the main games' completion percentage doesn't count for mission pack missions in 5?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Nuramor posted:

Less people for the mission packs though, sadly.
Also, did I see that right that the main games' completion percentage doesn't count for mission pack missions in 5?

It was the same in 4.1, mission packs have their own completion percentage

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Air Raider.txt - Shooting Gunship beacons through the zoom, then a friendly soldier runs in front and the beacon gets attached to him, causing swift self obliteration.

Said soldier while the Mission Failed screen was loading: "You didn't expect to do such a cool thing as protecting the earth, did you?"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am disappointed people are shooting my decoys instead of noticing that I have a blob on me and they have mortars. Identify your enemy, soldier.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Air Raider.txt - Shooting Gunship beacons through the zoom, then a friendly soldier runs in front and the beacon gets attached to him, causing swift self obliteration.

this is also the second reason I stopped using rockets and grenades in favor of rifles and shotguns

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1241906987987804160
They look just like us.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd be all for other companies making edf games if only they weren't so bad at it.

The problem is they don't understand. You don't use more time and a bigger budget to make the game 'better' or 'current'. You calculate 100% of your system power, then ignore that calculation and put in enough bugs and giant robots to use 120% of it. More system power doesn't mean fancier graphics and animations it means MORE BUGS AND ROBOTS AND THEY ARE BIGGER

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

2 eyes, 2 arms, a mouth, a nose. Just like humans.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
After seeing GiantBomb playing the recent 'meh' looking One Punch Man game, I wish they could have used the EDF5 engine instead and just made a game where you run around punching giant monsters in the face.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
drat air raider vehicles. 1500 durability? On Hard one hit from basic enemies looks to do 200 damage and most vehicles make Fencers with heavy weapons and no boost look mobile. Take out a Blacker and the main cannon takes 3 shots to kill a red ant.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah, EDF5 vehicles are pretty crap in general. Calibans, Bargas, and the DLC Nix Assault can be useful.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Rangers EMCX is pretty nice as well

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hwurmp posted:

Yeah, EDF5 vehicles are pretty crap in general. Calibans, Bargas, and the DLC Nix Assault can be useful.

It's less "EDF5 vehicles are crap" and more "low level vehicles are crap", which is honestly true in every EDF game.

Blackers are really good personal transports with a half-decent gun for self defense/sniping and are dirt cheap to call in. Nyxes in general are really goddamn good; they have ridiculous shitpiles of firepower depending on specific variant, and the only enemies they really struggle with are spiders and gold ants. Bargas are situationally great. Some of the helicopters can be very good if you can handle EDF helicopter controls, which are awful. The Titan is actually fantastic - the side guns do huge damage and it's extremely durable against stuff like frog/cosmonaut gunfire, only dying rapidly to getting bug rushed(but this is a common weakness to everything).

No vehicle will ever put out the same damage as an air raider competently cycling airstrikes, but they do offer a lot of utility.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I play EDF 5 on PS4 and its such a fun game. Great multiplayer community, fun joining a match when im 750 armour and my fellow players are 1200+ and i get access to weapons far out range what i am supposed to be picking up. Players are usually good about reviving you, and I love other players seem equally amused at making your soldier babble stuff while blowing up bugs. Really fun couch split screen multiplayer too, with the weapon limit removed, we can really cut loose with the loot I picked up in the multiplayer. Also, the end of the game killing god :lol:

I haven't played the single player much though, game seems more fun when there is maximum amount of carnage going on as possible.

Kanos posted:

It's less "EDF5 vehicles are crap" and more "low level vehicles are crap", which is honestly true in every EDF game.

Blackers are really good personal transports with a half-decent gun for self defense/sniping and are dirt cheap to call in. Nyxes in general are really goddamn good; they have ridiculous shitpiles of firepower depending on specific variant, and the only enemies they really struggle with are spiders and gold ants. Bargas are situationally great. Some of the helicopters can be very good if you can handle EDF helicopter controls, which are awful. The Titan is actually fantastic - the side guns do huge damage and it's extremely durable against stuff like frog/cosmonaut gunfire, only dying rapidly to getting bug rushed(but this is a common weakness to everything).

No vehicle will ever put out the same damage as an air raider competently cycling airstrikes, but they do offer a lot of utility.

I use vehicles to just stay alive in the matches I join as I get one shot by everything including my own weapons haha

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EDF games are fun single player, but absolute magic multiplayer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Carecat posted:

drat air raider vehicles. 1500 durability? On Hard one hit from basic enemies looks to do 200 damage and most vehicles make Fencers with heavy weapons and no boost look mobile. Take out a Blacker and the main cannon takes 3 shots to kill a red ant.
The most annoying was how the weapon limit on Hard forces you to use the Depth Crawler that is not balanced for the mission with the Mother IN-SECTs. One level higher and you get the next tier that actually can survive fighting them.

Red Ants are extremely durable and laughable in combat, even when you get swarmed in a vehicle.

Any of the RED Nixes at least have the speed to keep you going for a bit. You can move faster going diagonally in SPIDER TANK. APCs are faster than tanks. Speed is generally your best weapon and always retreating. Most DLC vehicles are hilariously fast and the Caliban Turbo is a Free Bike with four wheels.

If you want an Inferno player to help you on some missions and carry you with the aid of animes, my Steam name uses cowbell.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 28, 2020

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
"Believe in powered exoskeletons!"
"Sir, yes sir!"

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
This game needs to go on sale 'cause I can't convince my friends to get it at $60. :saddowns:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Achtane posted:

This game needs to go on sale 'cause I can't convince my friends to get it at $60. :saddowns:

EDF 4.1 is €16.79 right now on Steam if they have not already played that?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Achtane posted:

It was half off for the past couple of weeks but is back up to $60 now. It will probably go on sale again shortly. Humble Store sells it too and the 20% Humble Choice discount applies to sale prices when it goes on sale again. Don't forget that you can try out Remote Play Together splitscreen too without anyone else needing to buy a copy. Just choose splitscreen and invite them via your friends list.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

I'm surprised Sandlot hasn't figured out by now the DLC the people want is more songs for the troops to sing

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I'm surprised Sandlot hasn't figured out by now the DLC the people want is more songs for the troops to sing

:hmmyes: :homebrew:

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

It turns out Ranger hand grenades are really good for juggling bosses in multiplayer

Leave it to EDF 5 to make me really appreciate all the weird guns in each class like the Quake Hakens on Fencer

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I learned that invading the personal space of bosses in a Nix, really makes you respect it, and I managed to get spun around them in a second like I was glued to them. If you do that in the edge of a map, it really messes with the camera.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

It turns out Ranger hand grenades are really good for juggling bosses in multiplayer

Leave it to EDF 5 to make me really appreciate all the weird guns in each class like the Quake Hakens on Fencer

I find I use primarily either air raider or wing diver in edf 5, ranger feels too exposed though I still use him once in awhile, he has some interesting weapons, especially in his 'other' category of weapons. He has lots of different grenades and you can really throw them out fast. Though I rarely use the fencer, it feels his weapons are too slow (the ones i've picked up so far anyways) and he takes alot of effort to use effective compared to the other characters.

Air raider really is the star of the show though, his weapons can dish out damage and its fun to see. His vehicles really seem to be the only option to survive some levels. One weakness is he has less options for when he gets grabbed other than blowing him self up or using the ineffective(?) suppressor guns.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

EDF 6 scheduled for 2021 release

https://www.d3p.co.jp/edf6/?fbclid=IwAR2f74nUzJ7AexQjseRyodDzhD9QtTqTxYsSUtxfIffLYcJed1CYhKjhZNo

Also some sort of voxel-based EDF Minecraft thing

https://www.d3p.co.jp/edfwb/?fbclid=IwAR0dUj_2c-itfFRv_kd_n29Ott0h72mWP8X74eCZDe2w2Qr8r6mJ5zgv8nY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I never really paid much attention, what kind of delay has there been between the JP releases and the NA ones?