Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I really hope that they use the same servers. The Japanese servers' numbers are dwindling, relatively speaking: they have like six servers with a 2000 player capacity each, and there are usually 80-150 players all huddled in the first server. That's still plenty of players to find an appropriate game most of the time, but it still needs some new blood badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Abusing my Behind-the-Curtain privileges, I see that the 360 version is considered a separate TitleID from the Japanese one, so I don't expect them to be compatible.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
If only someone would make a game about an international coalition of military forces that happened to allow cross-region play.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Any idea if this will be downloadable on the xbox? Or is it retail only for the moment

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Anaranjado posted:

Any idea if this will be downloadable on the xbox? Or is it retail only for the moment
I think it will be downloadable on the 18th. But I can't find any official statement on it yet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just got a weapon called the Jackhammer for the Fencer. It's a pneumatic giant punch machine, that fires really quick.

I of course proceeded to dual wield them and ATATATATATATA Hectors to death. I had forgotten how much of a good game EDF is. Fencer is such a fun class once you figure out that you should never, ever, EVER, try to walk anywhere. Rule 1 of Fencer is Always Be Boosting. Works best with a shield in my experience, especially the small one. Boost, cancel into reflect, cancel into boost. I'm pretty sure by doing this Fencer is ACTUALLY the second most mobile class in the game. Plus it makes you feel like a total badass to be boosting around a Hector shooting fists or piledrivers into it, and then moving onto the next without stopping. Fencer has a lot of weapons that are, while probably not as directly effective as what a Ranger or Wing Diver might get, are instead made great through sheer rule of cool. So what if dual wielding these giant metal swords is probably lower DPS than that Ranger using a rifle? I'm DUAL WIELDING GIANT SLABS OF IRON AND SHOOTING OUT FORCE FIELD PROJECTILES WITH THEM.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I loved EDD2017. All I need from this game is more of that, especially enemies that I can blast off into the distance with my shotgun. That's still a thing right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What are the main differences between EDF2017 and EDF2017 Portable?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Really Pants posted:

What are the main differences between EDF2017 and EDF2017 Portable?

Portable has the Pale Wing character playable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FuSchnick posted:

Abusing my Behind-the-Curtain privileges, I see that the 360 version is considered a separate TitleID from the Japanese one, so I don't expect them to be compatible.
God drat it! My friend thought I was being paranoid about this. He said there's no way they would do something so dumb to split the player base like that. I know better though. Japan doesn't know what the gently caress when it comes to things like this and they would totally do that, despite having a language-independent chat macro thing built right in.

Well, I'll have to hold out hope for the PS3 version to be different, since I really do not want to need to have two versions of the game.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Samurai Sanders posted:

I really do not want to need to have two versions of the game.
Yes. Yes you do. You want to buy all the EDF. All of it.

...I'm going to double-dip. I can't believe I can't wait to spend more money on a game I could be playing right now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't really want the English version though.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Just got my preorder for the PS3 version in. I am so excited to blow up everything. Possibly including some of you unlucky bastards.

I wonder if this will finally get me to get a headset for my PS3...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They should release a PS3 headset profile for EDF that just boosts all the voice.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

If any Aussies are importing this for the 360 I'd love to know if it works on our consoles.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

neurotech posted:

If any Aussies are importing this for the 360 I'd love to know if it works on our consoles.

A bunch of mates and I did this for IA and it didn't work, so I don't think that's how D3 rolls. Can't find any news of a local release either.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I, Butthole posted:

A bunch of mates and I did this for IA and it didn't work, so I don't think that's how D3 rolls. Can't find any news of a local release either.

Well there this:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/xbox-360/earth-defense-force-2025/696872

I was just hoping to get it a bit earlier via importing. I can wait... I think.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

360 games are mandatory region locked but PS3 games are not locked by default though a publisher can choose to region lock.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

randombattle posted:

360 games are mandatory region locked but PS3 games are not locked by default though a publisher can choose to region lock.
And only two games in the history of the PS3 have been region locked.

edit: I was playing today and ran into the first person I have seen yet with 100% mission completion (which means all difficulty levels of all stages by all four characters). He had exactly 10,000 armor, so maybe that is the maximum?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And one of those 2 apparently patched it out somehow.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

neurotech posted:

Well there this:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/xbox-360/earth-defense-force-2025/696872

I was just hoping to get it a bit earlier via importing. I can wait... I think.

It's saying $90AU to get it in 2-5 working days via Amazon, so the week to get via JB seems like it'll be worth while. Thanks for the heads up!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

FuSchnick posted:

I think it will be downloadable on the 18th. But I can't find any official statement on it yet.

I'm guessing the same goes for PSN, since I can't find anything official on that side either.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

And only two games in the history of the PS3 have been region locked.

edit: I was playing today and ran into the first person I have seen yet with 100% mission completion (which means all difficulty levels of all stages by all four characters). He had exactly 10,000 armor, so maybe that is the maximum?

It could thats just as high as it displays. 2017's counter stopped at 9999 but your actual health cap was basically limitless.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Really hoping this makes it's way on over to the PC side. I love Earth Defense Force but I just can't go back to a controller

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Accuracy in aiming is such a non-issue when your targets are larger than buildings.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

general chaos posted:

Accuracy in aiming is such a non-issue when your targets are larger than buildings.
Targets? What's a target? I thought you just fire the biggest gun you can find basically indiscriminately until you are the winner. EDF is awesome.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I hope it's still faster to roll over and over again at a 45 degree angle than to actually run directly to your destination.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

ShredsYouSay posted:

I hope it's still faster to roll over and over again at a 45 degree angle than to actually run directly to your destination.
It is. Just like it is faster as a fencer to do boost/shield cancelling.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Some folks are starting to put up Youtube vids of the English version. Man, the voice acting is everything I ever hoped it would be.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
First review I could find: http://www.gameblog.fr/tests/1654-earth-defense-force-2025-360-ps3. 4/5 Stars

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuSchnick posted:

Man, this is the one thing keeping me from preordering right now. If it's up on XBL I still have some money to spend...

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know if the dualshock 4 is compatible with the ps3 version of the game?

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Here's a video of the first 20 minutes of the game. Obvious spoiler warnings. Definitely got the inter-soldier conversations in from what I heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn2XA4CQ_c

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Good god he sucks at the game. Blowing up civs and his own troops without even hitting a single bug?

Edit: Also, "Faster than -science-?! IMPOSSIBU"

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 17, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Oh jesus a whole new set of missions and weapons :zerg:

So is there any one mission that's the best for grinding out weapons & armor?

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Rabidredneck posted:

Here's a video of the first 20 minutes of the game. Obvious spoiler warnings. Definitely got the inter-soldier conversations in from what I heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn2XA4CQ_c

Pretty much everything about this is perfect except for the civilian screams. Holy poo poo that's annoying.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Aphrodite posted:

You have to unlock her, though, which is a bit of a shame if you've already seen everything Storm One has to offer.

Drakenel posted:

Good god he sucks at the game. Blowing up civs and his own troops without even hitting a single bug?
I don't see any issue with this.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Not sure if this was ever answered, but do certain weapons only drop on certain levels? Like in 2017, I think one of the best sniper rifles only dropped on one particular late level in Inferno difficulty, and it was really really rare to see drop.

Also, Online vs Offline.

If I do 20 missions in Offline, does this character carry over into Online? Or if I do 20 Online, will the 20 missions in Offline be done?

Can you have Online vs Offline characters?

Mainly because I'd like to play through online with a friend, but we're crack addicts, so we will be smoking this game when the other isn't around. I don't want to show up the next day with over powered items compared to his because I was hitting the pipe the night before while he was stuck at work.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 17, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Philthy posted:

Not sure if this was ever answered, but do certain weapons only drop on certain levels? Like in 2017, I think one of the best sniper rifles only dropped on one particular late level in Inferno difficulty, and it was really really rare to see drop.

Also, Online vs Offline.

If I do 20 missions in Offline, does this character carry over into Online? Or if I do 20 Online, will the 20 missions in Offline be done?

Can you have Online vs Offline characters?

Mainly because I'd like to play through online with a friend, but we're crack addicts, so we will be smoking this game when the other isn't around. I don't want to show up the next day with over powered items compared to his because I was hitting the pipe the night before while he was stuck at work.

If it's anything like the vita version then your online progression is the same as offline. I guess you could always play another class since it seems like you have to grind them up individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah, later levels on harder difficulties give you better weapons. The lady at the mission selection screen explicitly tells you this in 2017. I can only assume the same applies

Also holy poo poo, played 2017 today to get excited, and just now tried the last grenade launcher, something XM. I think I'm just going to call it the Carpet Bomb Launcher because that's exactly what it is. Each grenade only does 1000 damage, which on higher difficulties doesn't sound like much, but it fires 30 of them at a time in a shotgun pattern. Arc it up and you basically lay waste to everything in front of you. Also good for hectors and boss bugs, as they're huge enough to eat more than half of the grenades fired for ridiculous damage.