Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What a lot of people don't realise is that 2017 was a huge step down from EDF2 and that it only came to the 360 because Sony America are a bunch of little girls who can't handle a game with a single digit fps.

EDF2 is a loving tour de force. Over seventy levels the game does not stop stuffing new stuff in your face. The game was so good they had to delay it's already crippled PAL only release until a month after 2017 came out.

2025 is EDF2 squared. I cannot loving wait.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, look at what you can do with the fencer if you use a weapon exploit that greatly reduces the cooldown between dashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUCHH6ODvXY

I remember reading that the idea with the fencer was to create a character with a very high skill ceiling, and the DMC-style animation canceling was 100% intended.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Reminder to europeans that we have to wait until friday. :(

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Erogamer review is up and it's poo poo.

A real shame, because their review for 2017 was fantastic.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Infinity Gaia posted:

I vaguely recalled doing so, but it could've just been my brain reinterpreting the 45 degree roll as being forwards.
2017 was always a story about a man (or pair of men) named Storm One rolling sideways to victory.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

EZgrease posted:

That's strange. I got a manual in mine (PS3) when I bought it used from Gamestop. It was in English AND French!
I guess D3 were worried about Canadian's lackluster internet access?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I swear I'll try the other classes eventually, but the Wing Diver is just too good.

SPEED IS LIFE.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm not even sure if we need a brand new EDF game. If they just released a 1080p/60fps/better effects version of 2025 for ps4, I'd play that until the end of time. Especially if it came with the DLC.
The PS4 EDF is probably EDF5 and we won't see any more detail or information on it for a year or two. EDF4 was announced in 2010! Three other EDF games were released while it was in development, so I'd say at least PSVita port is incredibly likely this year or next.

A PC/PS4 re-release would be marvelous, though!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
GDF and 2025 do have largely the same structure, but it's interesting to see the changes.

The original EDF had only 30 levels, and the first half of EDF2 follows it very closely, while sprinkling in a few new things like the spiders, flying ants and underground missions (also London, I guess?). The build up to the fight with the Mothership is exactly the same, and when you destroy it, you've definitely won! But then the gigantic second Mothership turns up and proceeds to gently caress poo poo up for another 40 levels. If you played the games in order, the entire second half of the game is a huge surprise.

2025 does things a little differently, while we do revisit the structure of 2017 (which was basically EDF stretched to EDF2 length), it's done in half the time. The ravagers may have turned up in greater numbers, but humanity is holding it's own. The arrival of the Earth Eaters mirrors the second Mothership but it isn't presented as a second wave, but part of the continuing escalation.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah seriously, leave hard mode for after you run through normal. Cranking up the difficulty on an easier stage for better weapon drops is perfectly acceptable though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm holding off on finishing the game because I really want to experience it in Splitscreen co-op with my brother, but we only have a chance to do that for a couple of hours a week.

I know that if I boot the game up I won't be able to resist playing ahead of where we got to, so I went and bought 2017 Portable to play instead. Man it's great! EDF works super well as a portable pick up and play title. Despite the paired down graphics, is pretty much the definitive version of 2017. It's nice to play as the Ranger again too. I could do that in 2025, but why would you when the fencer exists?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Fencer gets Vibro Hammers.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SamuraiPaul posted:

Wasn't 2017 just a port of a PS2 game?
Nope. It's more of a heavily expanded re-make of a PS2 game. Story goes that SCEA rejected the idea of releasing the PS2 EDF games in America on the grounds that the graphics were too poor. Sandlot's response was to just make EDF1 again for the Xbox 360.

In other EDF related news EDF 2 Portable V2 has been announced for the PS Vita. I was hoping for a 2025 port, but I guess a Semi-HD remaster of the second best Game in the series will have to do instead.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I absoliutely adore that that they re-designed the air raider to fit with the EDF 2 character designs.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
There goes the only reason to ever play Watchdogs.

Also Vehicles in cave levels! Wooo!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I am so ready to defend the earth by force again.

I can't imagine they'll do a full english track for a Vita title, but maybe they'll keep the Japanese voices and put in subtitles this time?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Hell loving yes.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bOwfGAXBU

I wish PQube would hurry up and give us a release date for Europe. At this point I'm tempted to import but that might make DLC a pain.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If your PS4 is set as your 'Primary System' for the account tied to your PS+ subscription then all accounts on your console will have online play, including the NA region one.

Afaik, the restriction on DLC only applies to purchase, IE. you need to buy NA DLC for your NA game, but your EU account will have access to it once you buy it.

Storm One posted:

Amazon UK says February 2016.
Ooof. Urge to import rising.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Last time I tried emulating EDF2 I found a compatability guide that listed the game as running really poorly, with an awful unstable framerate.

I always wondered if the guy had any prior experience with the game, because it sounded like a flawless emulation to me.

I might have to give it a try again now that PS2 emulation has improved. I recall reading at the time that Frame rate slowdown was hard-coded into PS2 games, and therefore completely unavoidable. Seems like that either wasn't true or they've worked a way around it.

Also Wing diver advice: Always Thunder sniper, never Laser Sniper. The laser weapons are pretty lacklustre in general: high cost, low damage.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What's a good site that'll email out NA psn money codes?

Isn't EDF2 portable also out today?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Finally got the time to download this today.

I never really got into playing Air Raider last time around, fixing that mistake right now. Blasting bugs in a gold-plated Spider Tank is a pretty good start. It wouldn't be EDF if you could actually control the thing once you're on a wall though!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

lets hang out posted:

the aiming gets so hosed up like i'm not even sure how it's intended to work
As far as I can tell it follows the same rules as the regular tanks, which is hard enough to wrap my head around without the added complication of being both upsidedown and pointing to the left of the screen.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm MrPhillby on PSN. I should be online a lot of sunday for ant related activities.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Wing Diver is the most fun to play, Fencer is the most challenging, Air Raider gets the best toys and Ranger gets the best guns.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My copy of Invaders From Planet Space turned up today! I payed a couple of hours so far, some observations:

It has a noticeably smaller draw distance than the PS2 version. It's a real shame they built this game of the older PSP port as if you've played 2017portable you'll know that the PSvita can do better than this.
However the frame rate is a loooooooot better. I haven't gotten to where the game gets real nuts yet, but the PS2 version had like a sub-10FPS on the first level.
I love the retro redesign they gave the Air raider, but no vehicle call in sort of cripples the class.
You do still get three slots though, and you start with a turret already unlocked.
The voice acting is pretty good too, the British accents on the London map were a nice surprise.
Although it's a little weird to play EDF without the NPC soldiers, especially after 4.1 added so many cool ways to interact with them. Missing the EDF EDF EDF!
However, I really wish they'd stuck with calling the giant insects 'Gigantors' like in the PS2 EU release, not because I hate change but because 'Buggernauts' is just a terrible, terrible name for anything but randy astronauts. This is my biggest issue with the game.

Overall though this for sure the superior version of the game. The draw distance and pop-in is a fine trade off for an actual playable frame-rate and they've added even more content to an already stuffed game, not to mention online multiplayer.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

dis astranagant posted:

The low framerate on the ps2 version was amazing slow motion when poo poo got awesome and the game is worse without it.

I love the game, but the frame rate in 5he PS2 was poo poo at all times, not just when things were hectic. It doesn't need a stable frame rate to enjoy, but god it is just so much nicer to play.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Pale wing's aresenal in 2017 portable was mostly ripped from EDF2 in the first place, so it's pretty much the same again. There's maybe a couple of additions that's it.

The infantry man actually has lot less weapons in Invaders, as portable was an update to the sequel to this game. Most of the new weapons were turrets and suport gear though, which have been folded into the Air Raider's weapon set.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
IA is what you get when you try to apply 'triple A' style Good Game Design(TM) to an EDF game. A serviceable co-op shooter largely lacking in the borrowed charm of it's source material and devoid of it's own.

It was also a bad idea to set the game during 2017. They should have just invented their own invasion and let you actually win at the end instead of trying to tie themselves to an already flimsy continuity. I really didn't need the gap between 'The European front has fallen, the Mothership is headed for America!' and 'The Mothership is on it's way to Japan!' fleshed out.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

limited posted:

It probably won't be free on the EU store because the official release is tomorrow. :argh:

:smug: 'Free DLC? Why? You arseholes aren't even supposed to be playing this yet. And we fixed this bug already.'
It does not seem reasonable to me to expect free apology DLC for an issue that affected a different release of the game handled by another publisher.

BTW, I take it you've imported the NA disc version, in which case you can just make a NA PSN account and get the free DLC right now.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
You should only ever hold the button down when you need height.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
4.1 is a huge improvement over 2025 in every single way. It's really great.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Danith posted:

Are the DLC weapons overpowered, or do they just add variety?

Also are there placeable turrets you can get?
afaik the dlc weapons were mostly pre-order stuff so they're quickly obsolete.

There are turrets they belong to the Air Raider this time, the ranger must do without.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm seriously suprised how well this runs on my middling PC. Solid 60fps in the first missions, no matter how many buildings I detonate.

I never even considered how good M+KB controls would be in an EDF game.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 19, 2016

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I feel like we should at least have the thread name changed given that nobody should be playing 2025 now that two superior versions have been released.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Played through the early missions on Normal with a bunch o' randos. Great fun. Wierd showstopping bug in the shield-bearers intro mission though, the level just never ended.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Polo-Rican posted:

All of the classes are great; here's the official tier list, ranking the classes from Best (most fun) to Worst (least fun):

Ranger / Air Raider / Fencer: A+ (tie)
Wing Diver: A

I was about to dissagree with you but i'm posting this as my team mates finish a mission without me because I flew up into an otherwise inaccessable tunnel then died.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Two hammers is a strategy for true fun havers. You can charge one while unleashing the other.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SelenicMartian posted:

BTW, I call bullshit on the "giant insects cant fly" plot. They did fly the games covering the first invasion.
While the Queen Ants in 2017 did have wings they couldn't actualy fly. There have been true flying insects in only EDF2 and EDF:IA.

EDF2 was set in 2019 and covers a second invasion that is out of continuity with 4.1. IA was set in 2017 and was presumably suposed to be in continity with EDF3 but either Sandlot chose to ignore it (likely) or Ohara doesn't know anything about GIANT IN-SECTS (also likely).

I care possibly a little to much about my prescious EDF cannon & continuity.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^^^^
You'd also have to ignore the opening plot crawl in EDF2. It's best to just imagine there are two evil alien races with lots of giant bugs (The Invaders & The Ravagers) with designs on Earth. At some point they flipped a coin over who would invade and EDF1&2/EDF3&4 are a sort of Sliding Doors type situation based on the outcome.

dis astranagant posted:

The only EDF cannon I need is the one I'm pointing at the bugs.

Don't you also need the aditional two that uselessly fire at 45° to the main barrel?

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 22, 2016