Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Hog Butcher posted:

edit: do not import/japanese psn the EDF 2017 for psp, it is an abomination

I only saw it being played briefly for a short while, and it seemed fine enough for a downport of a game that already brought the ps2 to its knees. I would have loved to try getting a four-player game of it going if this game hadn't already been announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general chaos
May 20, 2001
So this game has been out in Japan for months now. What was the reaction by the fans / general gaming populace?

general chaos
May 20, 2001

DisDisDis posted:

So is the PS2 EDF emulation bad because the game is by nature a huge resource hog or does it have compatibility issues? I've been itching to play one of these for a while.

I just gave it a shot. I don't have the beefiest of systems, but it played split screen really drat well. Couldn't get the widescreen hack working properly, however. Mangled up the menu text.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Keep in mind a pretty significant portion of them are just upgrades (i.e. the Slow Hard Hitting Shotgun v1, v2, v3 vs. the Fast Weaker Shotgun v1, v2, v3 is like 6 guns right there)

But still. 700. There is going to be some gems in there.
They claim to have toned that down with this version, but yeah - there's just no avoiding it.

I want to convince my friend that we should avoid sequence breaking the game as much as possible. That was a big part of our experience with 2017, but I argue that we'll get the most enjoyment out of it if we aren't skipping past swaths of guns and going into levels where half the new guns we find will be useless.

Also, we'll end up having to do less armor grinding towards the end of the game.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

DrManiac posted:

Hopefully the higher gun count will mean less getting 20 weapons in a level and they all end up being the same 3 guns.

Remember that you still have to divide those 700 weapons across four character classes, assume that 1/5th of them will be useless gimmicks or jokes, and that you still need to divide them across however many missions x 4(?) difficulty levels. Normal and Easy both share the same weapon sets across all the Sandlot games, right?

dis astranagant posted:

All I saw there is that the PC Master Race needs to demand their access to the Game of the Generation.
The question is - would we be happy with a Dark Souls-esque straight port of the 360 version? Which would be even harder for them to do now that GFWL is being shuttered.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Play easy mode if you must on your first run through - enemies have the same drops as normal mode and you can make more mistakes. Difficulty is like Diablo - you usually run through the entirety of normal before tackling hard and so on. Better weapons and tougher enemies on each difficulty setting. Sequence breaking to higher difficulties for high-powered weapons may seem like a good idea for a speedy run, but you'll end up having to grind for armor eventually and you'll end up skipping over a lot of great weapons.

Never play solo. Coop or bust.

If you find a lovely weapon and hate it, and then find an upgraded version of that weapon - give it a shot. Sometimes the engineers mess up the prototype before they strike gold.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I feel like at this point the only thing that could possibly go wrong would be the English voice acting. Everything else has been confirmed as perfect and it would be so hard to live up to the original.

How well does the Air Raider play throughout the game? I'm attracted to the late-game vehicle shenanigans and will probably be playing as one almost exclusively. Do they suffer at all adapting to underground levels? You'd think the flying class would have the hardest time in cave levels but the tunnels provide a great choke point for rapier-type weapons.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Obviously the air raider loses all support and vehicle functions underground, but they do have lots of mines and traps and auto-turrets and sticky bombs and stuff. I only ever use wing diver underground though, because their lightning weapons travel along the edge of the cavern if they hit it. Firing a lightning bow or whatever down a tunnel repeatedly will kill everything in it no matter how much it twists and turns. It almost feels like cheating but gently caress it, the enemies outnumber me a thousand to one.

Are auto-turrets still broken inside of tunnels? Tracking nearby enemies with no line of sight?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
If only someone would make a game about an international coalition of military forces that happened to allow cross-region play.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Accuracy in aiming is such a non-issue when your targets are larger than buildings.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Picked up the 360 version of the game from Gamestop. Anyone who purchased from Amazon care to trade pre-order bonuses? I think I'd rather stick with Ranger over the Air Raider's weapons. (Yes, I know - it's mostly cosmetic and these weapons will be outclassed in an hour or two).

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't look like the game saves player 2's stats in split screen.
I think that's incorrect.

Here's what I've tested so far (playing split screen offline on the 360:
I load up my save on Profile A and have to select Profile B for the person playing split screen with me in offline coop. It seems that progress is kept for both classes used but only on Profile A's save. The save file on Profile A gets all the benefit.

So if you want to be a completionist grognard, it can be prudent to play in split screen with two different classes. Both will level up in health and you'll collect the completion check-mark for both classes in that difficulty for each mission played.

Will try a similar setup online, but I'm not sure how dickish that would be.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
The "level" of each weapon is used to denote ranges of power, essentially.

Some lobbies can restrict level ranges of weapons for use on different difficulties. So that people don't come into low level games and spam their genocide cannons.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Computer Opponent posted:

Anyway, since I bought two copies of this, if anybody's got a non-amazon pre-order bonus that they'd like to trade for my extra amazon code, let me know.

I've got a Gamestop code for 360 - definitely willing to trade.
email me: trunten8 at that hotmail thing
Anyone else feel like Wing Diver is going to dominate the game for the first few weeks?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I only noticed auto aim on a few weapons - specifically for some, but not all of the vehicle weapons.

I always assumed that one of the genius things about EDF is that you can avoid the need for auto-aim by making your targets giant loving monsters. But the wonky controls on the helicopter can make it a little necessary.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

incorporeal posted:

So any word on split screen 2nd players keeping their unlocks or do they just use what player 1 unlocked?
Progress is saved on the 2nd player's character class, but everything loads from and is saved to player 1's profile.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
The javelin launcher (I think? it's level 14) is the greatest asset to the Fencer. I have yet to find much of a use for the actual weapon itself as I cannot aim its projectiles for the life of me. However, it lets you dash cancel at a much faster rate than the shield cancel and you can zoom around the level with ease. I just hope there is eventually a version that is useful as a weapon as well.

Does anyone have a list of what the rewards are for completing each difficulty for each class? Is there a specialized genocide gun for each class like in the previous EDF games? What about for the lesser difficulties?

Edit: I really wish the Air Raider's guide beams/beacons occupied a 4th weapon slot as it seems a waste to take it into a match most of the time. Feel free to prove me wrong online after I add myself to the metatag GT: ImmortalThusFar

general chaos fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 19, 2014

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I'm going to assume that the Fencer's melee weapons are as close as we're ever going to get to playing Zangeki no Reginleiv / Norse Defense Force?

Drakenel posted:

Playing on hard with co-op probably is the way to go for your first time. (Don't all be air raiders though, you fucks.)
I wish I had this problem. Everyone around me always wants to zoom about the map as wing divers. If I'm playing as a ranger or if there's a lot of obstacles in my way as a Fencer, I just can't keep up. It doesn't help that they do seem to have some of the best weapons in the game (in the early stages at least.)

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Infinity Gaia posted:

Eh I got my trophy for full mission clear on Normal with Fencer so those missions probably don't count towards much.

In EDF 2017, there was a specific weapon that would only be unlocked when you cleared every mission on each difficulty. Did you manage to catch what weapon that might have been for the Fencer on normal?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Had a great time with a goon group tonight - mic ran out of juice towards the end before I could give my goodbyes.

We cut it really close on that last mission - these little moments are what make this game so great.

Still have to try a level with an air raider using a guiding laser.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

rawdog pozfail posted:

Are you ps3 or 360, fucker?

e: just checked spreadsheet, boo. how dare so many of you choose the inferior version.

Spreadsheet isn't really used that much - everyone on the 360 uses the metatag HOWCANYOUMISS.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Online tip 3 - tackling a small group of hectors? Try to surround the group and draw them away from one another. Hell, surround a single Hector to confuse its aim.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Dantes posted:

On one hand I have every EDF published in NA for Playstation and Vita, on the other hand I have 500 hours of BF4 multiplayer played. What part do you think I missed ?
I think he's implying there are plenty of glitches to be found in this game as well.

Ran through half the online missions the past two nights with a full crowd. Had loads of fun.

It'd be nice just to have all of the missions unlocked and available. That way you can sequence break as much as you'd like - grab a dozen or so inferno level weapons and then scale down the difficulty and find the mission that allows you to use that level range of weaponry. Repeat going down in difficulty.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Fencer Miniguns are nice for keeping Hectors from firing. They also work from a pretty decent distance if you are in a level like Crimson with a straight line of enemies coming at you.

I wish Hectors had collision detection for one another. I hate it when they end up melting into one mega Hector.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

ChibiSoma posted:

What's a good weapon for a Wing Diver to go along with Plasma? I've just been taking the starter Plasma launcher and finding upgrades to it. Think I'm on an E4. Found a Dual launcher but it shoots out in a completely useless V-shape. I need a weapon that doesn't take energy from the WD's supply, if possible. Not sure what all's good to use for them yet.

I like Thunder snipers, since the constant-beam rifles drain energy too quick, but it's a bad combo for soloing.
Almost anything in the "Mid Range Electric" category. They'll have their own separate ammo capacity that will last a while if you need to sit and recharge, they pierce through enemies AND bounce around cave walls. They make short work of any tunnel scenario.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I need to know which mission that Proteus can be obtained in. And then we need to farm the hell out of that mission until it drops.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Level 25 and I got it maybe 1/3rd or halfway through hard mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general chaos
May 20, 2001

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

My only problem with this game is how slowly you gain armor. It makes it really unappealing to switch between characters when you can spend 30+ hours on one character and barely have enough to play on hardest missions halfway through the game without being one-shotted.

Go to a mission with spider mounds. Have a Wing Diver stand in the middle and shoot upwards with a rapier. Rubber band the R trigger and wait. Check every once in a while to make sure she hasn't been knocked out of the middle. The other three players can duke it out with each other or explore the map.

Alternatively:
Use a high level Rapier Thrust and park a vehicle adjacent to the spider-mound. Now you can farm weapons in higher difficulties. Any class can jump in and partake in the weapon box ball pit.

2nd alternative:
Become an achievement grognard and play through every mission on every difficulty. You're bound to come out of easy/normal with decent armor points.