Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Global Defense Force also owned and is for PS2, it introduces the Pale Wing/Wing Diver who has a separate weapon tree which starts with a laser that randomly fires in a half-sphere in front of you 180 times a second

It also has the lowest framerate for a game's first mission I've ever seen, like, no mission gets as bad as it until the final boss, which I think would have chugged a 360.

pro edf 2017 things:
-Enemies can't swim, but you can, so if a mission has water you can swim out in it a little, wait for enemies to mass under you, and surf on top of them while shooting into the mass. if you pick off stragglers on land while surfing dudes you can get weapon drops usually and you can theoretically do Inferno the first time you hit the fire ant beach mission
-pro sniping tactic: Fly in the helicopter as high as you can and jump out, snipe all the way down, land next to your helicopter, get back in, repeat

pro gdf thing:
the collision detection is hilarious and the giant robot pillbugs will often punch you through the level, causing your z-axis to revert to maximum height and give you like a 3 minute fall. this can be exploited against the final boss which is a giant saucer that takes up the entire sky by playing as two soldiers, having one get on the jetbike, and another get on the helicopter. Then land the helicopter on top of the jetbike and it'll punch through reality and land on top of the boss, where high enough explosives will let you take it out with ease.

edf series best series

edit: do not import/japanese psn the EDF 2017 for psp, it is an abomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Kewpuh posted:

I don't own xbox! or playstation!

The 360 is worth it just for this game and 2017.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I love the teammates in EDF.

I had one yell "I'm out of ammo!" and the guy next to him yelled "That's impossible!"

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

DisDisDis posted:

So is the PS2 EDF emulation bad because the game is by nature a huge resource hog or does it have compatibility issues? I've been itching to play one of these for a while.

I guarantee you the PS2 is worse than your computer emulating it.

The first mission in GDF generally stays at under 30% speed on the real console until most of the enemies are gone for no particular reason.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

general chaos posted:

Remember that you still have to divide those 700 weapons across four character classes, assume that 1/5th of them will be useless gimmicks or jokes, and that you still need to divide them across however many missions x 4(?) difficulty levels. Normal and Easy both share the same weapon sets across all the Sandlot games, right?

The question is - would we be happy with a Dark Souls-esque straight port of the 360 version? Which would be even harder for them to do now that GFWL is being shuttered.

I would be happy with a Devil May Cry 3 level straight port if it got me a real EDF game on PC.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

MassRafTer posted:

If the PS3 framerate issues are the same as 2017s I'm going to get the PS3 version, if they are really bad and hamper gameplay I may have to find a used 360 cheap...

If you see the PS3 having framerate issues, compare with the 360.

There is no EDF game that doesn't have massive framedropping, with Global Defense Force being the extreme example with like 8FPS during the first level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Underground cave levels owned in GDF.

Most of them were a huge vertical shaft and the soldier class got obscenely powerful dynamite, so you could spout like 20 over the edge in each direction, push button, and have like 2 ants alive and a party of free loot at the bottom