Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I hadn't watched wrestling in years, I grew up on WWF (and WCW during the commercials) but dropped off around 98. For some reason I started getting curious about what I'd think of it now, so I signed up for a free trial and decided to start watching everything in order from the first Raw episode of 96. Two months later and I'm still thinking that the WWE Network is the greatest thing on the internet. Most of the childhood stuff I go and revisit sucks nowadays (Power Rangers and the first Mortal Kombat game are loving terrible) but my opinion of all the WWF storylines are exactly the same. The Hart's always had a lame reason for getting into good fights, Undertaker didn't really do much of anything except be creepy but it works, Kane's introduction took for-loving-ever to happen, Dude Love is the greatest, and 8-year-old me didn't know what homophobia was but I knew something was off-putting about Goldust's first big storyline where he just makes out with everyone.

It's just as stupid and sexist as my mom used to tell my dad and I while we watched it. I mean holy poo poo, Brian Pillman's last storyline before he died was "winning" Marlena and making her his sex slave for a month. (McMahon announcing on a live PPV that police think Pillman OD'd was pretty great.) I just finished Raw 228 with Bret Hart calling HHH a homo, Faarooq spouting off a grossly stereotypical "I was born a poor black child" speech to Steve Austin, and Shawn Michaels sticking the corner of a Canadian flag up his nose. There's so many times where I start mashing that 10-second-skip button to get past stuff that's just outright offensive. But gently caress, they had a lot of wrestlers who had charisma out the rear end and could put on a good show. There's some guys, like HHH, that I hated as a kid but now I think they're great because they made me hate them. It's some drat good trashy TV.

Now it's time to watch the Kliq become D-Generation X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
I just watched the McMahon "Cure for the Common Show" promo for the first time, and it kinda blew my mind. I never thought they'd be so honest about the makings of the WWF. But now I just have one question: if they took inspiration from King of the Hill, who's the '98 WWF equivalent of Bobby Hill? Jeff Jarrett?

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
This is a random question, but I can't find the answer anywhere. Does anybody know the name of the song they played on Raw back in 98/99 during the live, crowd shots while fireworks shoot off everywhere part of the intro? Not Thorn In Your Eye, but the one that gets played immediately after. It would be great to know the name of the song (or guitar riff, really) that's been stuck in my head for about 3 straight months now.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
I never watched WWECW during its original run, so I watched my first episode (10/28/08) of it today. Teddy Long opened the show pretending to be Ron Burgundy (because they were in San Diego, you see), and the last segment was proto-MizTV with Miz and John Morrison doing a segment with the young Young Bucks dressed as DX.

WWECW is good TV.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
Well if it makes you guys feel better, (it made me enjoy the show a hell of a lot more) Rapaport only has like 4/5 lines in the whole episode. It’s not the most enlightening video, but it’s definitely interesting and more proof that Owens is one of the best today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

exploded mummy posted:

everyone should watch episode 69

This arena is so empty, it’s like watching an episode of 205 Live. Also how did Larry Zbyszko have a job for so long, he was always the loving worst.

e: This post was made before I saw Savage and Big Sexy’s angle for the night. Holy poo poo everyone should watch episode 69

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 23, 2018