Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'll be picking this up and dropping Hulu as that's my "watch Raw and NXT" service right now for the most part. Don't care if they're not live, since I almost never catch stuff live anyways!

I don't remember if mlb.tv had an international version or not but my friend had that here in Japan and it worked well. I've got Netflix and Hulu now, and also got MLS' league pass working last year too (it's supposed to be America-only, unlike the NBA and NFL which have overseas versions). So if you use unblock-me there's a good chance WWEN will work too. I'll report once it goes live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So Raw and SmackDown replays won't be on WWE Network, at least until the Hulu deal is finished? I don't care if it's live or not (since I can never watch live anyways) but cutting my Hulu subscription and going WWE Network only would've been good since I only use Hulu for the recaps anyways. That's a little too bad, but hardly the biggest crime in the world, especially considering the PPVs will be there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Gr, I was gonna suggest using my clean stream bookmarklet then doing the F11 full screen in firefox, but the way the player is built it doesn't full screen the video :\

Not very familiar with macs so the only thing I can think of (which is monkey-butt ugly) would be to run firefox in a virtual machine then full screen it and maximize the vm on the TV.

I'm sure there are far better solutions.

I've had this problem on my Mac before too (running multiple screens, full screen a video on the second screen, it keeps "unsnapping" from full screen whenever I do something else) and sometimes it just takes some time. It's weird but that's how it works.

Anybody overseas gotten the Network running yet?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

It's too good, right now. $10 a month isn't enough to sustain the model. HBO can't do it at at least 10x the mainstream appeal of prograps, so how can WWE

(I don't mean to poo poo on the Network as I myself and lots of others are personally enjoying it very much but I'm in marketing and so I'm cynical, and something about this doesn't smell right. That's all)

Netflix is $8/month with much more overhead (rights fees), Hulu Plus is about the same. NBA League Pass is $20 a month and the NFL is more because they can demand those costs from the market (and doing more than that would probably not be allowed in their TV contracts). MLS' one is $50 for the season.

$10 with a commitment seems like a "right" price to me, and maybe after Wrestlemania they'll offer it month-to-month, but I don't get an argument for moving it to be more expensive. If anything, the niche factor would necessitate a LOWER price because the asset has lower value and smaller market.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

If someone subscribes through Apple TV instead of through the wwe's website apple takes a big cut. I'd imagine that's not going to be a high percentage though.

Standard Apple cut is 30 percent.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I watched all of the 1996 Bash at the Beach last night on my computer and part of whatever old-rear end Raw from NYC was on streaming just now on my PS3. Both working overseas via unblock-us (which isn't surprising since that works for Netflix and Hulu). Life's good in the odd time zone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TL posted:

I got the Network for the PPVs and the back catalog, but I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed Countdown and WrestleMania Rewind. I just wish there was more of them.

Same here. That first Rewind episode was really good, and Countdown takes itself juuuuust seriously enough to be good fun. I wish they had more of the Legends of Wrestling round tables up, but they're trickling them out so that'll keep adding up over time.

I'm still able to watch pretty much anything whenever without hiccups. I'm using Safari on my laptop and the PS3 app, and going through Unblock-Us. If quality dips, it's because of my line, not the software. It did freeze up on me during WM XIX the other night JUST as Brock was looking at the ropes to go up and kill himself with the SSP, which was a great disappointment, but otherwise it's been completely without problems.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Desumaytah posted:

I'm watching Wrestlemania XIX right now and I'm laughing my rear end off at this "Matt Hardy 1.0" gimmick. Jesus.

Also, Rey used to be so, so good. :sigh:

the only time I've been let down by the Network so far was watching XIX, having gotten through so much to get to the finish of Angle vs Lesnar and backing it up a few seconds to watch Brock climb the turnbuckle for that ill-fated Shooting Star Press and the loving feed freezes. Literally the only time I've had that happen, but still a disappointment.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh god that Countdown was pretty awesome.

Best part, though? Talking about the Shockmaster...

Ric Flair: "Shockmaster...A Flair for the Gold, with Fifi...I'm dating her now, you know"

Second-best thing about the episode was Dean Ambrose, though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

elf help book posted:

Wonder if Legends of Wrestling has been real popular on the Network.

I've at least been ripping through them enough to have gone from not really caring about Hayes to going "man, gently caress this guy", so there's that at least. Pat Patterson is also a gem. I watched the Patriotism episode last night and letting Sergeant Slaughter just roll with the stories was really cool, really fun insight. It was also interesting to note his reaction to the Iraqi Sympathizer character, and his willingness to just be a walking oven in terms of the heat it generated. Similar to Ambrose in that way, and interesting to note in the context of the old-timers going all "Back in My Day..." about guys being afraid to get old-school style heat nowadays.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It was funny the way he talked about the original pitch. It didn't sound like Slaughter Wearing a Kuffiya was going to be a thing, it would just be pissed off drill Sergeant Slaughter beating up weak American pukes who were disgracing the country. That would have been so much better.

I think the old "well this is working alright, but how can I get even MORE heat!!" instinct probably started to kick in. That'll lead you down the garden path to trying to see how many times you can drop the phrase "PRESIDENT SADDAM HUSSEIN" into one promo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TL posted:

Just caught the Blunders Countdown. Dean Ambrose impresonating Dusty Rhodes is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

the sheer child-like glee of Claudio Cesaro trying to remember a Scott Steiner promo, word-for-word

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm watching HHH's documentary now. Guys said this was good?

I found it enjoyable taken with a mountain of salt, other people have dropped the word hagiography and I don't think it's entirely inaccurate. There's one good Kevin Nash spot that makes it kinda worthwhile though.

simosimo posted:

Yeah, and the unblock me site confirmed that everything was setup too. Restarted the iPad and Turned off location settings too, googled around and 0 propose have this problem. Although I am happy the 24/7 stream works with no group block, I love background wrestling, experiencing WCCW was awesome.

make double sure that the settings are accurate and done through your router. I haven't tried setting it up to an iPad or iPhone before, but having both my router and my other devices using it usually does the trick. When all else fails, turn off and restart stuff.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I bet they get all of the old ones up before they even consider bringing it back. It'd be great if they did though. Minus Michael Hayes.

the can keep Hayes on the condition that Mean Gene is the host, and that Gene always lets him know he's sure that Hayes will get into the Hall of Fame someday soon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Albert is miles better than Alex Riley on color commentary if their NXT experiences are anything to go by. Riley can't hang with Regal nearly as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sigma posted:

Riley is great in short bursts on panel discussions, but often gets lost during matches doing commentary and ends up yelling to make a dumb point.

yeah, this. he's not quite good enough at improvising yet.

also I praise Albert and he drops the "World Wrestling Fe[REDACTED] err Entertainment" line during the Wrestlemania Today live show, lmao. They actually dump-buttoned him for that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

660,000 plus in less than two months is pretty amazing all told.

As well, there's a couple factors unaccounted for when talking about growth throughout the year. First is people putting faith in the product -- that one-week trial was genius, because it was the ultimate "eh, why the hell not?" free sample. The back catalog is a GREAT way to get all the lapsed fans back, and since it's super-cheap material, it's a real profitable area as well.

The other thing with lapsed fans is...I dunno how to quantify it, but it seems like wrestling is ramping up in pop culture once again. By reading and posting in PSP it puts us in a bubble, but seeing references on social media...it's all anecdotal, 100 percent anecdotal, but it just feels like it's going to keep growing. And if there's growth of the product, it'll grow the Network.

The last is simple: the price point. So it's a six-month commitment; so? The price is great, and (here's the kicker) it's cheap enough for a lot of connected users to just throw away whether they use it or not. I'm sure Netflix and Hulu make lots of money on idle accounts as well, and if there are people who want the Network but are just too lazy to use it, that's free money too.

Some may look at it as devaluing the product to take what were $60 PPVs and give them away with the Network...but if you grow this profit stream instead it'll be worth it.

And yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard Cole say "our next WWE special is Extreme Rules..." ...that verbiage change is HUGE.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

I think the inevitability is increasing the price of the Network. I'm thinking $14.99 or $19.99 per month by this time next year. Maybe they should ask Daniel Bryan how to overcome the odds before doing that though.

Nope. They've set it at $9.99; with 6-month commitments it at least means some amount of money is guaranteed, but the price would be difficult to move up. Moving past that price moves it from a "eh, whatever, I'll have it" throwaway price for lots of people into a "wait, I'm paying HOW much?" cost. As well, it's always harder to raise prices -- they'll lose people who think it's a deal, and piss off long-term users who got in at the lower price and don't want to pay more. It'll get rid of that value perception.

Raising the price would be A Bad Idea.

As long as the events keep breaking even on the live show part of it alone, it'll be worth the investment. It's a long-term investment, it will pay off down the line, but it might upset the apple cart a bit now in terms of the PPV business.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I'm surprised that the stuff from Classics on Demand not being uploaded more sole than the totality of AWA/WCCW/Mid South. Digitizing takes forever but if it's already done and you have the server space, why not? I get WWE not wanting to put everything up at once but there is no reason why you don't put up a couple episodes each week.

Why not?

quote:

I get WWE not wanting to put everything up at once

you answered it yourself. They can trickle stuff out, theme stuff, put it out at different times to goose subscription rates (or renewals) over time. Does it suck? Yes. Does it make sense as a tactic? Also yes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BillyMays posted:

Wow and Extreme Rules is already up on demand.

When I turned it on earlier I could've gone live (which I think would've dropped me into either the Cena vs Wyatt match or Divas match) or started from the beginning of the main show. It just ran clear as day in HD for me. Really happy with that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mob posted:

Every time I check it it's MRT saying "Well I don't watch the Network but they should add ol' Buttfuck Jimbob versus Moondog Fart from Eastern Western Smokey Desert National Alliance or else Vince doesn't deserve my god damned money"

or people saying "yeah they HAVE to double the price, how can they not in the future?" because they're not THAT stupid

the Network is really good, and it'll get better in the future. If you pay for a year you get 12 PPVs for what two used to cost. Chillllllllllll.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I don't think you can compare the two. Netflix was a pioneer, really, and now that people are more used to the idea of the model it makes life easier for something like the WWE Network.

Yeah, and I got an email recently that said Netflix has to increase their price $1/month over now for new customers. It's to help cover rights fees for content. And Netflix is at a much bigger scale than WWE Network, no doubt, but that's "just" $1 a month...WWE Network won't be increasing the price anytime soon. Their best move has been requiring a 6-month commitment, because it still seems reasonable while giving them six months of $10/month from x00,000 subscribers...do the math.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

neonbregna posted:

Highlander is on amazon prime already. Will Vince have to die before wwe offers it's services to distribute other companies wrestling content?

I'm not sure it would really move the needle, but it would be AWESOME to strike a deal and have New Japan stuff carried on the Network for the US. Offer older stuff without translation, throw one English announcer at it from here on out, that would be great. Sadly I doubt it'll happen.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

What in the world makes you think having the entire NJPW backlog come to the network totally untranslated is a good idea? Anyone who cares enough about Japanese wrestling to watch it without any clue about whats going on just for the in-ring performances is either already doing it or won't pay 10 bucks a month for it when they can get it on the internet for free.

I can't even fathom why you wouldn't at least want subtitles, if not a full Kung-fu Movie style dub job, if you want literally any casual fans to care about it or make it a draw for the network.

Whoa, sorry I didn't say "the entire back catalog" though I understand that's a read of it. At first I'd suggest maybe just the iPPVs from 2012-on, and then live from here on out.

Why? For NJPW, it gives them a stable distribution partner in the US to hopefully grow their business with. If they get in front of more eyeballs, they could potentially make even bigger annual tours to the US. This would of course supersede their iPPV deal, so it'd have to be bigger money to warrant the effort. For WWE, it gives them yet another LIVE attraction for the network and a reason that a small niche would love. Politically, you make them a friend at arm's length instead of an enemy, though I doubt they'd follow that tact.

It's all a pipe dream anyways, just dreaming out loud of getting more unique content onto the Network and a better distribution model than NJPW currently has overseas.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The TL;DR is NJPW gets American distribution, WWEN gets another LIVE and EXCLUSIVE thing that's already getting produced and wouldn't take all that much extra to make palatable to crazy American audiences.

Having it be an olive branch would be nice, but realistically you could say it'd be WWEN putting NJPW in it's own little box instead of facing them as an enemy and opponent. In an ideal puppies-and-rainbows world, maybe do one live special a year in the US ala the ROH vs NJPW show from last weekend (and not necessarily a WWE vs NJPW thing either).

Honestly, WWE Network should become a wrestling platform if only as a way to cement the WWE's legacy of acquisition and assimilation.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Legends House was in the can for a few years so it's a sunk cost, the question is if it did well enough to justify a second go-around. It might be.

The only Tough Enough I remember is that Stone Cold (and Trish!) season, and it was suitably hilari-awful. Doing it more documentary style, or behind-the-scenes style with people already signed and talking about their road to NXT or whatever would be a fun twist on the formula, but might get to be too true-to-life for mainstream WWE.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If you want to do just a month here and there the price goes from $9.99 (WOW!) a month to $19.99 (NOT AS WOW!) a month.

Ooof. Still a good price for what you get but....not the same "eh, I'll get it every month, why not" level we see now. I think I'll keep the auto-sub on in that case.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I'm going to let my subscription expire and re-up it when they decide to start adding the Nitro and RAW that go along with these episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if they hold out until after Summerslam to do it to boost subscriptions again

e: meant to edit, not quote.

Problem is it might not be a direct corollary. They refer to some episodes, but I think that first episode alone covered some two or three months of Raw vs Nitro (from September to...November or December I think). So they might have to put them up in bulk? Assuming the Nitros are in show able state as well...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ep 2 of the Monday Night Wars went a looooot farther ahead with the nWo story than I thought they would. I know there's already been plenty of interviews and stuff on this topic, but it was still really interesting to see new interviews and the direction they took editorially. It just makes the nWo and WCW looking like such clownshoes nonsense in fresh, new ways.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh the other greatest thing I found on the Network last night was the Countdown episode about celebrities, and then they ask Kane about Pete Rose.

That segment is almost as good as the Shockmaster one in biggest busts :allears:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

I know he is but 'Adam Rose' is supposed to be english and to me he seems to be trying to go for the accent and not doing it well. Either way, its not pleasant to listen to and his kayfabing is more annoying than santino's

it just sounds like a pretty straightforward South African accent to me. Not trying as hard to affect an accent as Santino does, to be honest.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

They announced Tyler Breeze as being from a seasonal residence in Greece on Takeover, I enjoyed that.

and they've truly been seasonal - he's used at least three seasonal residences that I've heard (Milan, somewhere in Brazil, the one in Greece).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

I've heard complaints from people with slow internet that the network doesn't offer any choices in stream quality, so you can't stop it from buffering like mad, which is a big issue for livewatching ppvs etc.

Well the problem is that AND that apparently they don't have as good of an auto-buffering solution as Netflix does. On my PS3 and laptop I've been having problems as of late, and it means lovely quality and then constant buffering. At least Netflix is smarter with its streaming.