Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ChaosSmurf posted:

I'm actually really looking forward to the Monday Night War and Wrestlemania Rewind shows because I didn't follow wrestling at all until 2012 and really don't feel like going and watching thousands of hours of probably mostly bad wrestling broadcasting in my spare time.

The old 'Manias are still probably worth going through, if only to get an overview of who was who and who was important over the history of WWF/E. There's certainly some crappy stuff, and some dull stuff (Lookin' at you, Billy Jack Haynes...), but there's a lot of retrospectively fun things and some good or historic moments too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

Guaranteed at least, and since BSkyB just signed a new deal with all the PPVs on Box Office it might even be £14.95 so WWE isn't undercutting them if they have the PPVs on there at all.

For context, Netflix UK is £5.99 a month.

It depends. We are a big PPV market for WWE, but the pricing for the shows is less than the actual Sky Sports package, so they may not mind so much as long as the full versions of current Raw and Smackdown (maybe Main Event too) aren't available. Sky have also tossed their hat into the streaming ring with NowTV, so maybe the new deal include providing the network as part of that platform, so BSkyB get a piece of the pie? No idea if that'd be feasible as I've never used NowTV, but if I was WWE, I'd at least broach the idea.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 3, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

Given the whole point of the network seems to be WWE wanting all the money for themselves rather than having to split with anyone else I'd be amazed if that was the case. Also if they'd signed a deal for the Network I doubt they'd be waiting until late in the year to launch it in the UK. If they had a partner and plan in place for the UK we'd be getting it 24th February with everyone else.

Except this new contract doesn't come into effect until 2015. Not saying you're wrong, but them saying 'late '14/early '15' makes perfect sense if they knew the rights were up at that point in the relevant markets so they could provision it into the renewed terms.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

WWE posted a list of all the PPVs that will be available on demand the minute the WWE Network starts.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/every-pay-per-view-on-wwe-network

And yes, Over The Edge 1999 is listed. I'd imagine, and hope, that it'll be edited though.

If you click on it to play it, it just airs a video of Jeff Jarrett cutting a promo on you, personally, for being a morbid horrible person.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yup, that's about right. ECW never got to the point of monthly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Probably never, they are not advertising a complete RAW archive.

There's also literally no point. It's some uncomfortable in hindsight interviews, bits from the DVD and some best-of matches. The only original content is content you wouldn't want to re-show. It's not like the Owen or Eddie shows, where you can at least argue they're fitting tributes and have some notable stuff on them. (Inluding I think the only Shawn Michaels/Rey Mysterio match, ever)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

The thing about WWE programming is that, even with the lower rating, isn't losing Raw going to potentially bump USA from the #1 spot?

Meltzer has certainly said it's a much bigger risk than it has been in the past. A year or two ago, losing Raw would still have left them at the top, now, it's not so clear-cut.

And the notion that NBC/U would offer the world right away is silly. You offer a good, but not great deal to begin with, unless you KNOW there's a better deal coming when the exclusivity ends. If you suspect there's nothing better, or at least not significantly so, out there for them, then when the market opens up, WWE's position weakens. Now that could easily backfire and Fox could offer exactly what Vince is after, effectively forcing NBC to dig deep or lose out. But before that point, there's no incentive for them to offer more than they think it's worth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Minidust posted:

This is very true. And even wildly popular, successful shows tend to have very short shelf lives. Something like Jersey Shore got crazy amounts of attention but they only made, what, like 3 seasons of it? And the survival rate of new shows is ridiculously low to begin with. Having the decent-but-dependable ratings that WWE offers might be more desirable to a network than taking a gamble to find the next big blockbuster.

Especially as successful reality or scripted content gets more expensive year-on-year, with talent salaries inflating hugely for the biggest shows (think stuff like the Friends cast making $1mil+ per episode of the last couple of seasons). So something like WWE is attractive because you're paying a set rate for an extended period AND getting more original content out of it than you would from something traditionally scripted.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm guessing the VOD issues are due to high use of VOD being kind of a new thing for MLBAM. I imagine most of their users use the sports services they provide for watching games live, not so much going back and rewatching old stuff, which is much less of a thing in real sports.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

What I like more about Unblock US is that you set it up on the router level, so it works for all your connected devices. I can watch the Network on any of my computers, on my iPad, on my iPhone, etc.

And honestly it took like 5 minutes to set up, from what I remember you just pay your money and then put in their DNS numbers.

Isn't that a pain if you actually want the local version of a site, say BBC iPlayer or Netflix, though? Hola's handy because it's an add-on, you click it and it turns off, as opposed to it sounding like you have to go into your router and change the DNS addresses every time?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

There are rumours going around that the Network in the UK is going to be a subscription channel on Sky like they're doing in Canada, which is probably the only way they can do it and keep the PPVs on but also restricts the Network to people with Sky Sports. They're launching in a metric fuckton of countries on August 12th but the UK isn't on the list, also they're referring to the Rogers thing in Canada as a "preview".

"Rogers will offer this WWE Network content preview subscription to all cable, satellite and IPTV providers across Canada."

IF they allow people to purchase it separately from the existing Sky Sports packages as well as in a bundle, it still could be worth doing. I figured this was likely, considering Sky are trying to position themselves not just as a TV/ISP company, but they're trying to push into the VOD market as well, pitching their NowTV service as an alternative to Netflix and Amazon (which is very, very dumb, considering the TV content on NowTV is pitiful compared to Prime and Netflix. All they really have going for them is up to date HBO stuff, which they only put up while the new season airs, thus missing the point of bingewatching as a means to grow the audience. Seriously, no one's going to watch 7 seasons of True Blood in a month, Sky.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:argh: drat you, WWE. Gimme details on the UK launch! Is it a Sky thing? What's the price?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

That's basically Heroes of Wrestling, outside of one fantastic Tully Blanchard promo.

And one depressing, yet amazing (by which I mean it literally amazes me) Jake Roberts one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Netflix (Like the WWE Network, but not as good) makes a big deal of the low price in it's ads, over here in the UK, at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Lawler will literally read anything you write on a piece of paper and hold in front of him.

All that for just nine-ninety-nine?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 13, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Vince was Black Mask all along :tinfoil:

Good of him to put Catwoman over so strong at the end of that feud.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

It's not just one Nitro. Check out any Nitro from October 1995 and you should see it.

My favorite thing about that is how they made such a big deal out of the Dungeon of Doom shaving it, but then he apparently kept shaving it himself for at least a month afterwards.

That's just wrestling logic. Much like how Kurt Angle's hair hasn't grown back in 12 years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, WWE's last word on the Network in the UK was by October 1st right? So are they literally going to wait until after the PPV to say anything more, because 10 days out is a very, very short lead time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, possibly positive news for UK wrestlegoons. A little poking around on the Sky forums had some people saying various versions of the WWE app here have the price listed as £39.99 for 6 months, which works out to a little cheaper than Netflix. :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Third hand buzz I've heard mentioned something about a 24 hour blackout on the PPVs, which both sucks and would be surprisingly non-draconian.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Oh geez, that one implies that November 1st isn't even the launch date, just "we'll have a date to tell you by then"

Glad I picked the 6 month re-sub option for NoC, wonder if I'll have a choice on which version of the network to get by the time it lapses.

They're basically repeating the statement on the WWE site. It's pretty clear it won't be available by Nov 1st, just that they'll have a date by then.

EDIT: ...I just thought of something. When would be the next announcement of subscriber numbers to shareholders? Any chance they're pushing it back so they can use initial UK uptake to pad that number?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 30, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Unfortunately the WWE Network on broadcast TV in Canada is a success, so they're going to have to program to appeal to a wide wrestling audience and not do niche stuff.

I thought they still have to get the regulatory body's approval to keep it going?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...OK, Dave's summation of the UK Network situation has me worried. I can't see any way they can do the TV version without working with Sky, otherwise the biggest selling points of the channel (the PPVs and NXT specials) are gone pretty much immediately. But I can't see Sky doing it any other way except as a new part of the Sky Sports package, which prices it out of the market for anyone that doesn't already have those channels. I mean, I sure as gently caress am not paying £30-odd a month for one channel and a poo poo rear end VOD library. Sky'd be making minimal gains in subscriber numbers for very little upside.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pressedbunny posted:

Running the numbers as we did before, if the version of the Network we get is anything less than the US version you might as well use VPN and subscribe to the American Network. The price difference isn't that much (I'm sure it'll be closer to £40 than £30) and there's no point accepting a lesser service considering how little there is on offer to begin with, especially if you already use VPN for Netflix or whatever.

I'm a dork like J-Ru and wanna do things legit, though. I don't wanna have to find a fake address and make sure funds are in my PayPal and mess around with VPN settings, I wanna be able to pay WWE some money and watch NWO Nitro, that shouldn't be this hard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm sad they haven't shown any of the times he flubbed and called it the "new world organization."

How did he even manage that? New World Order is a conspiracy thing, new world organisation is... I... :psyduck:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That shot makes him somehow look really young and super old at the same time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I wonder if Sky pitched a fit or threw money at them.

I'm wondering if the Nov 3rd date was a bluff to get Sky back to the table?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

It was literally working earlier this evening, I doubt they would have gone quite that far if it was just a bluff

I'd accept that for any other company (except TNA), but WWE don't seem to realise that 'card subject to change' doesn't protect them from these kinds of moves. They may not owe anyone a refund, but it looks really, really bad. Once was iffy, twice is going to start costing them potential subscribers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Sky probably realized they could be either in the deal and get some money, rather than the alternative of nothing.

I don't understand how the Network wouldn't have been part of the negotiations for the new TV deal with Sky. I suppose maybe it was just 'sure, you can sell it on the internet', and then WWE changed their mind when Rogers ponied up the sackload of money in Canada.

EDIT: VV This would be why I can believe WWE would go so far as to turn off geoblocking and only announce going back on the date an hour beforehand.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

I really hope we don't get a Sky Wrestlemans channel. gently caress that. I just want to be able to watch it on my TV instead of my PC without janitoring my router

If they do it as a TV channel, I guarantee it's a Sky Sports branded one. Hope you wanna pay £30 a month to see Bo Dallas in HD.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

Much as I love Bo I will stick to the VPN.

Not that I'm terribly bothered, but how legal is it to access the Network this way? I assume it's fine, since the onus tends to be on the content provider to put appropriate region blocks on their content.

Legally I think all you're doing is breaching the contract with WWE by not being a resident of a territory the service is officially available in. They can cancel your account, but I doubt you'd be in any real trouble.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Whatever Sky ends up offering them it's going to end up with a worse service for UK fans than it would were they to offer what the US is getting, so it's going to be a disappointment for the fans as well as yet another delay so WWE can make more money despite driving away business

I could maybe see them using the NowTV site as a portal for the US content, but at best we'll be getting the same service, at a higher price. At worst, it'll be a cut-down version of the service, that Sky will use as a selling point, so if you're with Virgin or someone else, you're hosed.

Fake-edit: I assume their logic at an executive level is probably that the only people who will have been paying enough attention to care are big enough fans and internet-savvy enough that they're either using a VPN already, or could do so if they wanted, so they're not losing any buyers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On that note, there's a very small part of me that thinks this UK thing is someone saying to Vince: "Hey, it would make way more sense to launch it in the UK when we shoot Raw in the UK!", about 30 minutes before the 8pm deadline.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pressedbunny posted:

If the Network isn't up and compleetly intact without Sky bullshit before then, the chants are going to be incredible.

And it may only be a house show, but I'm now super gutted to not be going to the Cardiff date. I've been at gigs in Wales when the crowd has gotten riled up before and it's hilarious/terrifying. Nobody knows how to utterly poo poo on something like drunk, pissy Welshmen.

The crowd will probably be tolerable, ASSUMING they take all mention of the Network out of promos, or keep them to pretapes. Obviously, considering this free November thing is their latest attempt to hook people, so they won't, but it'll be a really, really bad idea unless it's either up by then, or they announce it'll be available on Tuesday at the taping.

Not expecting chants, but heavy boos for any mention of the product they're trying to sell is unlikely to look good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, this isn't from Meltzer or one of the other more reputable sources, so take it with a pinch, but allegedly this was a last minute play by Sky saying WWE was breaching their new 9 figure deal.

I want to write it off as SCOOPZ, but I'll buy that WWE were dumb enough not to demand a clause in that deal to cover the Network's eventual launch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

It seems crazy to me that neither side would have planned for the network launch when they signed this deal in the first place - WWE to be sure launching the network wouldn't violate the contract, or Sky not having planned ahead and made a deal with the already announced network in mind.

I'm a bit worried if Sky is pressuring WWE to close its current VPN loophole. To not only deny the US service to new subscribers but also people like me who've jumped through hoops for the privilege of paying WWE for its already availiable products.... ugh.

Meltzer noted on today's Observer podcast that Sky WERE aware the Network would be a thing, but at the time of the TV deal, it was supposed to launch in 2015. Sounds like one of the big sticking points is Survivor Series. Sky are already advertising it as a PPV, and WWE weren't just undercutting, they were going to give it away.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, I don't doubt that that second statement's accurate, in that Sky didn't explicitly TELL WWE to pull it, but I don't believe for a second they're not involved with the reason why it happened.

It'd be idiotic for Sky to admit that they had a hand in it, especially if the outcome is going to be a worse service for a higher price.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 4, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, they put up a video of Vince personally apologising for the UK delay. Only viewable if your IP says you're from here, and the video's pretty much Vince using more words to say what the original article on WWE.com did, but it's interesting. They must've gotten a LOT of negativity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Awesome. I hope Raw is Boos

Pretaped, though, remember? It'll be awkward, but they could just grin and bear it live and pipe in "YES!"es in post when it airs on USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Paint him green and do Batista vs Welsh Drax.