Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
poo poo, Steen is probably thinner than DeMott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

titties posted:

Hogan isn't from Venice Beach, Undertaker isn't from Death Valley, and the Dudleys aren't from Dudleyville.

These are bad examples because two of them are meant to be kayfabe places related to the unique gimmicks of the guys using them (UT and the Dudleys), and in Hogan's case, it's basically exchanging one very warm place with a lot of beaches (Florida, where he actually grew up) for another (Calfornia), and they're still in the same country.

Atlanta and Edmonton are not interchangeable. Neither are Winnipeg and Manhasset.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tajiri also had a shockingly good match with Justin Credible for the ECW title during the period where it seemed like every week on TNN, Justin was coming closer and closer to losing the title. Credible, to his credit, gives Tajiri a TON of offence, and some of the spots are pretty wild (including a double stomp to Credible while he's a on a table and is covered in chairs).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I Before E posted:

Honestly I just want the Wrestling Summit shows.

That, I could see happening.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fatherdog posted:

It got used a lot in the Hardy Boys books.

Frank and Joe, not Matt and Jeff.

In retrospect, it's kind of amazing Russo never turned the Hardy Boyz into a tag team of detectives.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember reading about a commercial for New Bllod Rising that was done for market radio where at the very end the guy doing the voiceover enthusiastically goes "Expect a night of run-ins".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Iizuka was so bland that Inoki forgot who he was in 2002, well over a decade into his career.

In fairness to Iizuka, that could just be senility kicking in.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Retromancer posted:

As much as I like the amount of docs that they've got up there now, I have to question why the WCCW and AWA movies made it up there before rise and fall of ECW. Rise and fall was one of the best docs WWE ever made, and I can't imagine more people are clamoring for world class than ECW.

Because the ECW one was heavily promoted and the others were less so.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love the IDEA of Tough Enough, but the execution mainly sucks.

Rather than grab completely untrained guys, they should grab guys who have some experience, but can't just go make a good living in Japan if WWE says no. That way, they don't have to reteach guys who have a strong idea of how to work if they do sign them, and you get guys who maybe are willing to play the reality show game like Miz....while avoiding guys who are as useless as Miz.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
ECW had rights to *some* stuff, as I remember them being sponsored by Tommy Boy records and using some of their stuff. But I think it was a temporary agreement. And obviously it doesn't grant them rights to important themes like Enter Sandman.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish the drat thing was available in Canada already.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The 1-2 punch of needing his finish to be on for about 20 minutes (with Bret never actually submitting) and then getting crushed by Diesel on a non-televised show is one hell of a burial on Backlund.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sleepingbuddha posted:

I'm watching the AWA doc and can't believe how much Lawler in the 80s looks like Kenny loving Powers.

Now I wonder if Jerry Lawler responds to "Have a nice day" by saying "Don't tell me what to do".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is it worth it for the Canadian feed yet? I understand there was some content issues.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Memento posted:

Just watching Monday Night Wars and I have a question. Does anyone know when Dusty Rhodes died? Because there was a corpse on my screen, talking in his voice, with his mannerisms, but it was definitely not alive.

edit: here.

That is not a living human being. It moves and talks but is clearly dead.

Because of the way they shot Dusty while he spoke during it, he actually looks worse during the Heyman doc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Vince is right up there with most baby boomers when it comes to criticizing others for things you do/did.

Interestingly enough, supposedly Daniel Bryan scored points with Vince by insisting on finishing his Indy dates when they rehired him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

I will cheer his tag team championship victory with X-Pac any week.

I've always found it kinda funny how, except for during his title reign and feud vs the Undertaker a few years ago, I've always enjoyed face Kane considerably more than heel Kane. His tag runs with Bryan, Hurricane and Waltman were a lot of fun, and I think his backstory makes him very sympathetic, especially for such a huge dude. I also liked the mask vs title match between Kane and HHH, probably one of Kane's best matches.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Starcade '95 is great for Heenan and Rhodes making GBS threads on Schiovane. He calls a move the 'Mafia Kick' and the others start laughing, then call moves like the Sicilian Neckbreaker and the Yugoslavian armbar.

The best moment comes in the main event though:

Tony: Sting there with a rush of adrenaline.
Dusty: Did...did you say Russian ad-
Tony: RUSH OF. Rush of adrenaline.

They also make fun of him for calling a german suplex correctly at one point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

The best thing about Monday Night War is the photo they use of Eric Bischoff whenever they talk about him being appointed Exec Producer of WCW.

Is it him as Dracula from Halloween Havoc?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

The best Byte This was when Matt Hardy called in to call Lita a bitch.

No, the best was Todd Grisham making fun of a TNA fan who called in to talk about how great TNA was.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

height of the attitude era was pretty garbage most of the time outside of the main event. 2000 was a great year for PPVs though.

It was, but D' Lo had gotten really good by the time the accident with Droz happened. And dumb politics IRL and stupid gimmick aside, Venis could go.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 26, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Watching Cyberslam 96 for the first time. What exactly was this event? Styles mentions the internet and the crowd boos for some reason. Then later in a match he mentions going to commercial, than pauses and talks about how on home video you get to see this special footage.

Did ECW tape things like ROH and NJPW do, where they sell events then split it up for TV? How much later did the shows air on TV after they were taped?

It was an internet based convention. I believe they were the first wrestling company to stream an event online.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He hosts an adventure rally show on the web, does bookings as often as Lance Storm seems to, and he's done some movies.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I like Tough Enough season 1. It doesn't have the slick production of a reality show. It feels more like they were making it up as it went along, like not knowing about cut details, Al Snow dragging chairs over to the wall to mark everyone who left but not until after three people left. The only thing I hate about it is Tazz because he is trying way too hard to be the heel. The audition episode was the funniest.

From what I've heard, that was basically the way he ran the ECW wrestling school. Taz was a hardass.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I didn't think it was so much a wrestling school as an excuse for Taz and Perry Saturn to beat up teenagers from Philly in the name of ECDUB.

Well, they did train Mikey Whipwreck, Chris Chetti and Doring & Roadkill.

1 outta 4 ain't bad?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fart blood posted:

I dislike Bill Watts very much and I will never understand how he gets into anything to do with black people in wrestling (like how he was on the Legends of Wrestling panel about it, for example). I know he booked the first black world champion but come on.

He also experienced his greatest success as a promoter with JYD on top.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oldpainless posted:

What else do you expect from the bad boys of wrestling?

More elbowing Michael Jordan?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CoolCat posted:

Watched Barely Legal 97 earlier today as it goes, and TAKA flipping off the crowd was blurred as well. A tonne of violent poo poo in the main event and vocal chants of "gently caress You" and "She's a whore" is fine, but TAKA flipping the crowd during a comedy spot is edited? I'd love to know their reasoning.

I guess they figure misogyny is so ingrained in wrestling fans there's no point in censoring it, but they might not be like Craig from South Park's family yet so we must save them from flipping people off all the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dusty and Heenan not giving a gently caress did give us this exchange during a Eddie Guerrero/Shinjiro Ohtani at Starrcade '95, and forgive me for bringing it up again but I love it so much:

Brain: Dream, give the people your expert perspective. If you were Eddie Guerrero, what would you be thinking?
Dream: I'd be thinking I lost a whole lotta weight!

So good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I absolutely get what you mean, and it was weird I super agree, but DDP is 18 years older than mysterio to be fair to that specific instance.

Yes but Rey's been wrestling since he was 14. DDP is more experienced, but Rey's hardly a green horn at that period, he debuted in 1989. WCW just marketed him that way because it's easier.

Man, Rey has accomplished a lot for a small guy. I took a look at his wiki to get the exact year of his debut (couldn't remember if it was '89 or '90), and he's a won a shitload of titles, had multiple 5 star matches, he'll likely be in both the WWE and WON HOF (already in the WON HOF), he inspired a ton of high fliers after him, and he helped popularize lucha in U.S. wrestling.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alain Post posted:

hard disagree, Hulk's heel work in '96 and '97 was strong, it wasn't until '98 when he became a liability imo

I mean if you want to argue that an nWo with a third man of Sting or one of the rumored guys like Davey Boy Smith would have worked even better, I'm not gonna stop you, but, uh

I don't know how someone would make that argument. The reason Hogan was so effective was the absolute, unmitigated shock that people felt. Hogan being a overt heel was something nobody had done in a long time, and never while he was a mainstream star. Although some argue that if you look at his behaviour during angles where people turned on him, they'll tell you he had it coming. Unfortunately I'm just young enough I don't really remember the Orndorff feud, but I get why people feel that way with the Savage one.

Sting, or Bret Hart (I think Bret was someone they talked to, but I wonder how well he could have gotten along with Hall & Nash, even pre-screwjob) would have been interesting, but nowhere near the impact. Hulk Hogan is somebody the average non-wrestling fan knows about. Sting, not so much. Bret Hart has that level of fame in Alberta, where people may be familiar with him even if they don't like wrestling because of the Harts and Stampede Wrestling in general being tied into the whole yearly Stampede in Calgary (that thing draws a LOT of people). But WCW wasn't too interested in the Canadian market, and even if they were that still isn't as global as Hogan's fame.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Smiley at least makes sense when you remember that he has a bunch of experience working with lucha guys, Swinger being there is a baffler other than "he's under contract and he was lucid when we asked him to do it".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Shotgun had like 2 months of completely insane episodes before it just became the same as every other C show WWE has ever made. Ive never fully understood why WWF/E so consistently has had such a short attention span for it's C shows like that. What makes you come up with a wacky idea, go through all the time and effort to make it happen, and then just lose interest a few weeks later?

In defense of HHH (and it hurts to type that) my memory of it is that he really was booked like poo poo and going nowhere until he just ended up in DX as the sidekick and it made his career. I mean, it's 90s WWF so there's a thin line between being buried and having a marquee feud over pig slop. But my memory if HHH becoming HBK's buddy was "Really? Him?"

And the MSG incident was a dumb thing to get heat for and for vets to still be hurt about since historically it's such a perfect highlight of WWF clinging to kayfabe and resisting the changing world before they finally were saved by embracing it with stuff like DX.

With Shotgun it was costing too much to produce the show, IIRC, so they just turned it into a cheaply made syndie. Don't forget, when they were trying out Shotgun as an experiment they were getting their rear end whooped every week in the ratings by Nitro, plus Vince was sweating Bret's mammoth contract.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite DX moment was when Hunter and Shawn bumped into Eric Bischoff backstage, and Bischoff said,"You know, I always thought of DX as a cheap knock-off of the nWo". He walks away, Shawn turns and asks HHH if that is true, and HHH replies,"I'm not gonna lie to you Shawn...." and walks away as well. :)

Bischoff had a few fun character moments. I always enjoyed it whenever he'd briefly grow a spine and stand up to a heel because they got a little too familiar. He's fine in small doses, he knows how to heel.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I remember that Jericho/Bryan match being really loving good, plus Jericho was in the middle of a really loving good heel champ run from memory.

The bump Bryan takes on Jericho countering his tope is fuckin' horrific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rovert posted:

CWF 04/20/1976 – Bob Orton Sr. and Bob Orton Jr. Training Video / Bob Orton Sr. and Bob Orton Jr. vs Steve Keirn and Mike Graham (Reel Footage)
AWA 04/21/1985 – Curt Hennig and Larry “The Axe” Hennig vs The Road Warriors
NWA 04/11/1987 – Brad Armstrong and Bob Armstrong vs Lex Luger and Tully Blanchard (Jim Crockett Sr. Memorial Cup 1987 Quarterfinals)
Deep South Wrestling 09/03/2006 – Kenny Omega vs Cru Jones
FCW 06/05/2011 – Xavier Woods vs Michael Tarver

[url]http://www.wwenetworknews.com/2018/06/14/exclusive-multiple-wwe-hidden-gems-planned-for-today

They also put Kenny's debut promo in Deep South up on YouTube.