Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I almost got mad that we're getting this in Canada a full year after it launches in the US, but then I realized that you guys are gonna make great beta testers, brother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cucktales Blogger posted:

I have an American address but spend a lot of time in Canada.

Has any statement been made about American customers who want to access the service outside the states? Alternatively, what would I need to do to spoof my location for the app/website/whatever to work if I'm accessing the service outside of the states like some people do for netflix?

I think Netflix turns a blind eye to using services like this to bypass their Canada/US/UK region restrictions, but I don't know how that'll work with the MLB.tv technology or if WWE will be more diligent about enforcing that stuff than Netflix is.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Does mlb.tv black out games for certain areas or anything?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

if you're in the home market of one of the teams playing, yes. and also if the games were on national tv but that might not happen anymore but i think it does

So does it go by IP address like Netflix does or use some other system? I'm not really an IT guy or anything but the services that allow you to access foreign Netflix content tend to do little more than hide your IP.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

El Generico posted:

There's a Chrome plugin called Hola that works for everything for me.

I found Hola was loving with my connection too much for whatever reason and use one called Media Hint now. Works perfectly.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

freeranger posted:

Another Aussie signing in. Running the network thru Unlocator. Seems to stream the live stuf fine, but I am having a lot of trouble with the older VOD content. It seems to be very very hit and miss for me. Mostly miss. I get the rating video no worries but then I just get the spinning circle a lot and then an error. Refreshing works rarely.

When it does work it's almost instant video.

Any suggestions for me?

Canada here. I'm using Hola through Chrome with no problems whatsoever. It's a bit slow at times but I think that may be an issue with my own connection. It certainly loads everything I've tried.

e: I'm loving the Maple Leaf Gardens shows in the Old School section. They're slightly before my time as a fan but shows from that building always give me chills since my first wrestling events were there. Now it's a grocery store.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 12, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not that I expect them to add this feature now, but one thing that really sold me on Netflix was the ability for the software to always remember what I was watching and where I stopped it, even for multiple shows/movies. I could start watching at home, pick it right up on my tablet while on the go, and finish it up at a friend's house later. The Network not having a queue or a 'Recently Watched' section (unless I'm missing it), especially when they advertise that it works across many devices, is a big whiff for me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Watched THE BIG EVENT last night and wow, that show really doesn't hold up. Neat to see how different Toronto looked in the 80's to now though. The aerial shot of the city with Mean Gene talking over it is pretty cool, but nothing much else worth watching on the show other than Greg Valentine/Brutus vs the Rougeaus.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I wish the whole card was listed (maybe as a popout or something if people don't want to be 'spoiled' on a years-old PPV) when you pull up an event. Yeah you can look through the bookmarks to see what's there but that's a clunky solution at best. It'd be nice if, at least, you could click a link and get just the hype video for the PPV as well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dimebags Brain posted:

So besides the DOOMSDAY CAGE MATCH, what are some other insane/stupid WCW matches I should be watching?

Bash at the Beach 1999 has a Junkyard Invitational where, I believe, almost everyone was legit injured afterwards.
Bash at the Beach 2000 has the Demon/Vampiro Graveyard Match.

Both classics.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Professor Funk posted:

Ok, I definitely need to run through all of the insane WCW gimmick matches too. I'm irrationally excited about this. A Graveyard Match???

It's truly horrible and pretty short but that PPV is worth watching for the Jarrett/Hogan/Russo debacle too. Peak WCW right here.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

Also, I still don't understand Aldo Motoya's (the Portuguese Man O' War) headgear.

When he debuted I thought he had some kind of face injury like Brutus Beefcake.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I hope, in a weak moment, WWE forgets to cut the Legends of Wrestling panelists off at the bar before that show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Snacksmaniac posted:

Did anyone even put over Wright during that segment? Someone should have said he was a decent guy roped into a dumb gimmick.

I think someone said they were legit scared of him, which is a good enough compliment for what the character was supposed to be. I had younger cousins that had to leave the room when he came on.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Those were always on there, just not listed and only viewable through the search. Episode 6 was never there at all.

How much stuff is on there but not listed? Has anyone tried to just search random stuff to see what shows up?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh my god if the entire run of Rock N' Wrestling is going up there I'm never cancelling. Also I need to buy more weed.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Acrolos posted:

Going back and watching Bash at the Beach 96, I'm noticing a lot of things that I missed the last time I watched it (at least a decade ago). The first thing that stood out is how ineffective the whole thing was in retrospect. Obviously it worked extremely well at the time, but they could have done things so much better. The announcing basically set up the turn as he was coming in, with the arguing over what side he was on. It could have been sold so much better if everyone just assumed he was there to help Savage/Sting. Also, as this was 18 years ago, it's amazing how terrible and slow Hogan already looked.

With all of that said, the selling by Randy Anderson was amazing. I never really noticed him in the past, but his reaction to Hogan's turn was awesome. It was a perfect look of disappointment and shock. Hogan was also great on the mic, just because of the stark contrast to his previous persona.

Heenan kind of went off-script with the 'whose side is he on' stuff and you can see Schiavone actively trying to squash it to maintain the surprise. It's funny though because Heenan *would* have that reaction since he's never trusted Hogan in any of their interactions prior to that, so it makes perfect sense that he'd doubt his allegiances.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

if anything, it made the turn more believable, because Brain absolutely loses his poo poo when Hogan drops the leg.

Was there any point in WCW where Heenan sided with Hogan? I'd like to believe not.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm hoping that Saturday Morning Slam comes up soon. My kid and I had a pretty good time watching Slam City over the weekend since she goes nuts for anything Claymation.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Phenix Rising posted:

What was the general reaction to Summer Slam 1993? This is the one where Luger faces Yokozuna for the WWF Title in the spirit of USA vs Japan, and Luger wins by count out. The faces then come out and they have this huge loving celebration, but even as a kid I thought it was incredibly stupid because he won by COUNT OUT and, therefore, didn't win the title. Why celebrate so much? The crowd even seemed to be going bonkers but it just seemed, and seems, so dumb.

Spoilered just in case anyone is watching the events as they happen along with the daily/weekly addition of classic RAW episodes.

Even at 13 I was like 'they sent a bus around America for THIS poo poo?'

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Which one was her favorite? Mine wanted to watch the Del Rio one 100 times. So you know, it covered an hour of our time.

haha, we kind of cycled through them all (twice) but she seemed to really perk up at the Mysterio traffic cop episode. She's pretty easily amused though so it was probably just the extra vibrant colours in that one.

If you haven't seen it, Saturday Morning Slam has some really nice vignettes between matches that are definitely put together by someone with knowledge of how to do children's programming. I'm figuring that'll be a better introduction to wrestling than the episode of Impact we sat through when she was even younger and which should probably be considered child abuse.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

They had issues with NXT arrival during the live stream, which would've been a lot fewer people (however was also very early on in the networks lifespan).

I'm lucky as I'm not planning on watching it until the next day anyway! :toot:

I mentioned this in the general thread but they've apparently been doing heavy load testing on the site during high-volume broadcasts like Arrival and Main Event, so if you've been getting spotty performance during those shows it's probably why.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Really, if there's one reason to have faith in the Network it's that I'm guessing MLBAM's staff drastically decreased in size the night of NXT Arrival, after Vince McMahon went in and literally ripped the heads off people while screaming 'YOU'RE FAHHRREDDD'.

Probably sent in Aksana to do some #knees2faces on the lady employees too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Considering that they have a whole PPV dedicated to them, you'd think any of the team-based Survivor Series matches would be good for that, but I don't think there's a single one that even approaches it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I haven't seen half the problems others have. The only issue I've noticed is the skip back 10 seconds every once in a while. And I can run the program in Chrome at work and at home. Computer technology is weird.

Yeah it's the same with me. I've yet to encounter an error that a refresh doesn't fix. The only issue I've had is that it doesn't work at all on my HTPC despite it having an almost identical setup to my laptop. It's not biggie since I can just plug my laptop into the TV, but I can't figure out what's wrong.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MrTpug posted:

Been watching alot of old WCW ppvs....holy crap, Dean Malenko was a god drat machine...

Deano Machino. It's too bad he made Lance Storm look like the freakin' Rock, personality-wise.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fourthmeal Fanboy posted:

(Alberto Del Rio loving rules)

*gavel bang* I've got some BAD NEWS

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My stream was borderline unwatchable to the end and I quite nearly resorted to nefarious means but it could've well been my connection or the fact that I'm not even freakin' supposed to have the Network in Canada.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I had to refresh my stream 3 or so times, but other than that it was super sharp and perfect. Very impressed with the WWE Network's performance, all things considered.

Just curious, do you use Hola or some other service? What ISP are you with?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I pay for Unblock US, and I am on TekSavvy cable. I don't know exactly which package I'm on, but it's one of the middle ones I think.

Hm, maybe I'll finally look into Unblock then. I'm on TS's DSL and it's usually okay so I think maybe Hola was the issue here. Thanks!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is the 1M target for domestic subscribers only or worldwide? Once they launch this thing to Canada and elsewhere it's gonna explode. There's still a bunch of international subscribers using VPN's (I'm one of them)) in that number but for people without the ability or inclination to use a VPN service that'll be pumped up a lot.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's not a BAD number but it's not really a good one either. The positive news is that the stream worked perfectly and the show was great, so hopefully some casuals watching with friends are inclined to buy on the heels of the great show and great stream and hopefully those holding out to see how the stream went finally buy in.

Yeah I agree. If it were me, and I didn't trust the stream going into Mania (going the traditional PPV route instead), I'd probably have waited until now to subscribe to get my full money's worth.

In all honesty though, how can you not have gotten at least $60 worth of content in this month alone? All the Axxess stuff, the Hall of Fame, and then the PPV itself are easily worth what you'd normally pay for Mania, and you still get five more PPVs and whatever other content they add in that time.

e: my ISP just contacted me about a wire that was damaged by water outside my house so I'm sure that was the cause of my issue. Frankly the fact that Mania streamed at all over the network is a testament to its quality.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 7, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

jtm33 posted:

How much do they charge for PPVs in the United States? I have heard varying numbers.

60 bones.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gfanikf posted:

Legends House. :colbert:

Legends House is so bad that they couldn't get a TV outlet to touch it, but they managed to sell Total Divas. Think about that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I still say Instant Queue is far far higher on my list of wants for the Network than even one more minute of content. Adding a bunch of nonsense with no logical way to remember what you've watched and how far into a video you were is madness. Macho madness.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DudeDeuce posted:

They really need to add chapter support to every platform, a playlist/queue support, and also a resume watching on every platform. It would be awesome if they had every PPV listed like a season in Netflix, and instead of episodes, it would be the matches on the card. So you can just jump to any match you want at any time.

I like that idea. Also if there were a way to index the content in such a way that you can select a feud/story and it'd show all the matches and segments across Raws, PPV's, promos, etc that played into that story.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm effectively paying $15 for it since I have the network sub and $5/mo for a vpn which I only use for the Network. If the price goes up by five bucks before it comes out in Canada and I can ditch the vpn, I'm unlikely to re-up. $20 is about the breaking point, so to speak, for me when something like Netflix is less than half that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Acrolos posted:

Man, this Daniel Bryan Wrestlemania special is great. Hopefully this is a series they'll show with a lot of different guys.

I can't wait for the CM Punk one that starts at the Rumble and then it's 40 minutes of a black screen that says [SCENE DELETED].

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Well it was nice while it lasted. Pack it up, Network fans, because Grover just ate your lunch.

In seriousness, this is looking more and more like the new model of how TV programming is going to be consumed in the future, so for once WWE is ahead of the curve here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DudeDeuce posted:

They changed the programming for tonight according to the WWE Network website. Instead of Best of RAW, they're showing Wrestlemania 6.

Oh gently caress yes. That's cool of them to do.