Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I for one will be scouring the network for all Taka and Kaientai content available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I liked Are You Serious but that would get unbearable really quick if they made it 30 minutes and weekly.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

the content other than those PPVs was what he was referring to

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Pariah Rex posted:

You mean you didn't like the Mysterio/Eddie Ladder match of 5,000 botches? I particularly like the part where Eddie gets pissed at Mysterio for yet another sloppy fall, yells something to the effect of "arrghgh what the gently caress was that" then begins to stiff him in their strikes.

is that the "where the gently caress was vicki?" match?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Regarding Hayes on the roundtables, I've watched a few of those and haven't been super annoyed by him but he does exude "self important douche" vibes and does talk over people sometimes

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Benoit lost to MVP in 2 straight falls.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
the Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio match from Halloween Havoc 1997 is pretty commonly on "best matches ever" lists

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

I Before E posted:

Well, you're in luck, it's the next Beyond The Ring.

Is this just the old DVD from several years ago or new stuff?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
as someone that can barely be bothered to watch either raw or smackdown in their entirety much less both I can't imagine how more than a handful of people have the time and energy to watch the main shows and all the preshows and post shows.I love the network but that stuff was by fare the least appealing content to me.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I really like the network (cheap PPVs, and plenty of poo poo to watch while bored or it's dead at work) and I'm currently able to not give a poo poo about $10 a month but as someone who just over a year ago literally had no income I absolutely understand being hesitant to commit future dollars to something you're not sure about.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
yeah, they already produce something like 7 or 8 hours of new wrestling tv content a week if you count NXT and most of the main roster stuff is placeholder stuff until the next PPV maybe switches things up a bit. If anything they do too much new wrestling, or too little interesting new wrestling. I fast forward through matches on DVR that I know will be theoretically "good" but won't mean anything. A six man tag on Smackdown is basically "these guys all have matches at the next PPV so I dunno, they're fighting now just not one on one?"

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
yeah if they have new content I want it to actually be wrestling discussion or wrestling itself, not reality nonsense that happens to feature wrestlers

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel the exact opposite. There are enough hours of wrestling already on free TV, much less the Network. They need to develop the characters and personalities on TV a lot more so I can invest in the good, long matches I'm already getting. Whether this is 'reality nonsense' or some other kind of feature on specific wrestlers, I'd prefer that.

If its wrestler documentaries like the DVDs, or Countdown, or stuff like Legends Roundtables cool, I just have no interest in Total Divas or Legends House or anything of that particular ilk.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

flatluigi posted:

Guess I'm not auto-renewing, then. Gross.

what else did you think auto-renew meant? How is using words to mean what they mean gross?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Xenoletum posted:

Showing that much T&A on a network show at that hour in the late 90s was more of a big deal than before, so yeah, it makes sense to talk about it no matter how bad it was.

The shows they do try and maintain some kayfabe so they're not going to say "Bischoff told the results of mankind winning the WWF title on RAW and then it happened, but it made their viewers turn out".

They openly talk about heel and face turns and people not liking jobbing to the nWo.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that theme :sweatdrop:

♪ STEP OFF FOR THE NEP TO THE NEP TO THE NEAR TO THE NEP FOR GETTING.... BET YOU WILL! STEP OFF FOR THE NEAR FOR THE NEAR FOR THE SOMETHING BRING THE PAIN SOMETHING BRAIN...... YOU KNOW IT'S ONLY THE BEGINNING! ♪

THE PANCAKES ARE LIVING INSIDE YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Astro7x posted:

Wrestling fans are the only fans that complain about getting something for free.

Who's parents were ordering PPVs for them in middle school to watch this stuff?

I still watched a lot of PPVs in this era in "scramblevision" since the audio was perfectly clear and if movement was limited the video was sort of decipherable.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

TheJoker138 posted:

There's a lot of people here who get mad that these Monday Night War episodes are burying WCW. I don't agree. Vince didn't bury WCW, WCW buried WCW.

Some people are mad because it's dull, repetitive and wrong/misleading about stuff.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Astro7x posted:

I've said this before, but I would be totally happy with WWE Network as an actual cable channel that I can have on my TV without streaming, record shows to my DVR, and use the same fast forward/rewind functions of my DVR. I would even give up the On Demand stuff to have that, because I very rarely use it.

I get what you're saying but I'd rather be able to pull up the latest PPV or a random match at work when its dead or on my tablet when I can't sleep. I'd watch far less if it were an actual cable channel.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

oldpainless posted:

Everything about Kane except his matches, hair, feuds , politics, promos, hell anything on screen except his pyro, is awesome.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
King of the Ring is a neat concept yeah, but if you fill the tournament with guys that are over and people actually care about then you have to have all but one of them lose. The only real ways around that are to have a bunch of nobodies in the tournament or have a bunch of dumb non-finishes. Granted nobodies and non-finishes are kind of a problem in current WWE but we don't need something that helps encourage that by it's nature.

Also the idea that KIng of the Ring started a push for a lot of guys is really overblown.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I get that they hyped a Vince segment and yeah its dumb and makes them look bad that they hyped something they didn't show, but I have never once given a gently caress and probably never will give a gently caress about a preshow or post show on the network.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

DM Punk posted:

I really wish they'd align shows on the live stream with when they originally air. Like, every Sunday should be a PPV from 8-11, run old RAW's during the live RAW timeslot, TNT should air on Tuesdays, etc.

Ideally, I loved to see old Susperstars and/or Challeneges on Saturday mornings.

uh, why? if you're mentally ill enough that that actually matters just pull up some appropriate stuff on demand during those times

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
the 95 rumble is even worse, loaded with rear end-terrible gimmicks like Mantaur, Kwang, Duke the dumpster Droese, Doink, Well Dunn, Aldo MOntoya. And I think that was also the year with the super short intervals.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Maxwell Lord posted:

So in my Early RAW viewing, I've seen a weird coincidence-

1993, Marty Jannetty beats Shawn Michaels for the Intercontinental title, loses it on the rematch at a house show one or two weeks later.

1994, Marty Jannetty and the 1-2-3 Kid beat the Quebecers for the Tag Team titles. Next week, at a house show being reported on during RAW (which was probably taped beforehand) they lose it back to the Quebecers.

I guess my main question is, why?

Marty Jannetty was drugged out and unreliable

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Maxwell Lord posted:

So was it really the case that they'd take the chance on giving him a belt and instantly realize their mistake, or what?

Giving Jannetty a couple brief shots with midcard belts probably isn't even in the top 20 of head scratching booking/personnel decisions WWF/WWE has made. And the IC title win was just meant to be a shocking thing to pop the crowd and make Raw seem unpredicatable. I doubt that even a clean Jannetty would've been champ for long.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

flashy_mcflash posted:

As an IC champ in the shallow roster of that time period? I think a clean Jannetty would've done fine. When I was a kid and the Rockers broke up, a lot of other kids were down with Marty and not just because he was the face in that feud.

If by "fine" you mean holding the title until Shawn won it back at the next PPV then yeah

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Astro7x posted:

Didn't they also have to redub the VO for that episode to refer to it as a "Symbol" instead of a cross or something stupid?

Why the gently caress do I remember small things like this from almost 20 years ago...

they never called it a cross on TV, they called it a symbol since it was, quite literally, an undertaker symbol

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

pathetic little tramp posted:

That redirects to the borked splash page in most browsers for me too. In Opera, there's a button in the upper right that says 'watch', every other browser it instead says 'my account' and I can't figure out how to get to the network from there.

network.wwe.com works fine for me in IE 11, firefox and chrome, it has My Account in the upper right but has Shows, Schedule, and Search to the left of that. Also the live stream just shows up below immediately. I'm on Windows 7. Clear out your browser cache and try again

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Because I am on a console. I am considering cancelling. I don't buy the network for the new(er) content. I buy it for the old stuff and I can't watch it!

can't you use whatever you're posting on to watch as well?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Yes I did. Their twitter support account gave me around half a dozen things to try and when those didn't work they essentially threw their hands up in the air.

I don't want to sit at my computer desk to watch a 2 hour PPV!

they have support beyond twitter
http://help.wwe.com/app/ContactUs/cat_id/128

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

sticklefifer posted:

You're not truly going through the early 2000s unless you're watching Velocity, which the Network doesn't have yet.

Goddammit WWE, you promised at launch you'd have it.

no they didn't.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

sticklefifer posted:

When they were doing the content promos, they showed Velocity and Heat logos along with Raw and Smackdown when talking about what you'll get with access to WWE's archives, so yeah, they did advertise it that way.

they never said they'd have it at launch

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Swagger Dagger posted:

There are SECRET Raw episodes covering the build to Wrestlemania 20 up:

Raw Replays - Episode 559 (02/09/2004) https://t.co/zSpQEwXZQG
Raw Replays - Episode 560 (02/16/2004) https://t.co/Nf7n4jgtbe
Raw Replays - Episode 561 (02/23/2004) https://t.co/VZPcdciaBb
Raw Replays - Episode 563 (03/08/2004) https://t.co/4udpohI1uN

The year 2004 isn't on the yearly drop down menu for raw replays for whatever reason.

you're being facetious with the "for whatever reason" right?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

soapgish posted:

2004. 2011. 2009, 2008, 2007, 2003, 2000, 1998. 2005 and 2006 have only one episode. What's the reason that should be so obvious?

the demonstrable pattern of them not promoting the achievements of family murderer man, benoit

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Skinty McEdger posted:

How I've heard it about Dean is that he doesn't like being himself in front of cameras or in interviews. By all accounts he's a pretty private person and he doesn't like doing stuff where he has that line into his own life crossed. Ride along is just a fun show in general, but you can see him slowly building up steam to being himself and feeling comfortable. Roman comes off really well in it as well, and its a real shame they can't tap into his genuine personality on the main product.

roman was really dull in ride along, which explains a lot actually, if he's just a boring dude by default how's he gonna captivate a crowd of thousands of disillusioned rear end in a top hat nerds?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm up to Summerslam 1994, and they start the show by announcing the Headshrinkers lost the tag team titles at a house show the night before.

This is the third time in two years they've had a title change take place at a house show, and the one time it wasn't putting them back on the people who just lost them. Were they trying to goose up house show attendance or what?

They've done that periodically throughout the years, usually to make house shows seem important/interesting

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Sionistic posted:

Getting really annoying that I have to sit through 12 seconds of crap just to watch a clip on a service I pay for

Tell them, not us

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's weird how 1994 Raw spends about half the time they used to devote to hyping PPVs to hyping their house show tours. Was live business especially bad or did they think that was the way forward? Is that why they had Diesel win the belt at a live show?

that was before they had 12 ppvs a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I like ride along but does it feel staged and phony, like at least some of the chatter is scripted or prompted, to anyone else?