Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The lack of insight by some of the talking heads on Monday Night War gets a bit grating. There are only so many times I can hear various versions of "When I saw <x> happen, I was like 'whoa, this just got real'. The worst thing is that it's not just people like Miz who are saying it, but people who were actually there participating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Up to Summerslam '97 and Chyna as the bodyguard of snobby aristocrat Hunter Hearst Helmsley is such a weird team. And when she slams the cage door on Foley's head - jesus, that looked nasty.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Sable was with Mero back where I started in KoTR 96 so I think Chyna was just his bodyguard for no real storyline reason. She made her debut attacking Marlena during a match against Goldust at in Your House: Final Four. Again, though, the Raws aren't on the network yet so maybe the reasoning was brought up on TV.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wonder if Bret Hart and Foley ever discussed their opposing wrestling philosophies

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I love how in the Monday Night Wars whenever they mention WCW being the personal playground of irrelevant old men and their lackeys they show a clip of Bischoff driving to the ring on that massive motorcycle looking like the biggest self-satisfied dimwit in history.

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, you're right. Helmsley ditching Sable was how Mero debuted, and then he had a string of other valets for a while, and I got Chyna's debut confused with that. She didn't come in until like a year later, and replaced Mr. Hughes as his bodyguard.

Yeah. It's such a bizarre fit for the both of them. I don't even know if they knew what they were doing with Chyna around this time either because the commentary sends out a bunch of mixed messages. Vince of course just goes on and on about her physique and how amazing it is, so at least he's consistent.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Does the Foley Monday Night Wars episode reveal anything that wasn't in the recent Foley doco?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Bret Hart episode of MNW shouldn't have included footage from Wrestling with Shadows because it reminded me just how much better Wrestling with Shadows is compared to MNW.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Is there a reason half the matches on One Night Only aren't on the Network?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Call Me Charlie posted:

Why would they? He was just an every man who did what everybody wanted to do with their boss during a time where the anti-hero was in vogue.

He just got where he is through hard work, tenacity and talent! All the current superstars who can't get over just aren't working hard enough, the lazy sods.

Niwrad posted:

I'd rather MNW be 10 episodes and stop re-hashing the same stuff for 15 minutes an episode.

I also think they should start a mini-documentary series. A 30 for 30 of sorts for professional wrestling. I'm not saying it'll be of that quality, but it'd be interesting to pick some topics that haven't been covered a million times over. Find some obscure stories in the wrestling world and give us a 60 minute doc on it. I found the WCCW one fascinating and I knew nothing about them going in.

I wish there were more documentaries on pro wrestling in general. Part of the reason that WWE are able to control the narrative to the extent that they do (besides the fact that WWE own all the video and rights and trademarks so on) is that the product is still regarded as dumb joke for poor idiots. This despite the fact that non-WWE produced wrestling documentaries like Wrestling with Shadows and Beyond the Mat are legitimately interesting movies regardless of whether you're a fan of wrestling or not. Most of the comments I saw on the AV Club WWE Primer piece were along the lines of "why is the AV Club writing about this dumb bullshit". On a website that treats CW TV shows and comics as serious topics.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The MNW episodes about WCW are so much better than the one's about the WWE because it's clear people are being allowed to be more honest in their comments. That said, I wonder what else they're going to cover? Next week is Jericho according to Wikipedia, and I'm guessing Undertaker will get his own episode. Other than Goldberg, the nWo and the cruiserweights, what else from WCW deserves an hour long episode? Sting? DDP?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If I don't get an hour-long Disco Inferno doc I'm cancelling my subscription.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The PPVs between KoTR '96 and Wrestlemania XIV were so much better than the crop of post XIV PPVs I've seen so far. Summerslam 98 begins with a 15 minute match between Val Venis and D'Lo Brown that ends in a DQ when Val pushes the ref. What an opener!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Jericho episode of MNW was kinda meh. It was basically just the middle bit of his most recent documentary.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Mr Scumbag posted:

Saw this was out in Australia and signed up. Unfortunately it's less "WWE Network" for me and more "WWE Ne[BUFFERING]twork". Seems like it would be good without that problem, but as it is it's seriously annoying. Is there any way to fix this? Open certain ports or something?

It's definitely not my connection since I can stream HD Netflix just fine over a VPN, you'd think WWE Network would be fine, but no.

Edit: missed a word.

I'm on a slowish ADSL2+ connection in Australia and it works great for me on Apple TV, but I get way more buffering if I try to watch it on Chrome, and the stream doesn't even work at all on Safari or Firefox.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Australia should count itself lucky it managed to get the proper Network considering the pay TV provider here is an overpriced Murdoch-owned monopoly, and was previously also the only way to get Raw etc and PPVs as far as I know.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Great Hoganism on the last Monday Night War: "Well I was on the phone to Vince and told him while WCW as a TV show wasn't worth much, the tape library would be invaluable. As soon as I hung up the phone I knew he would buy WCW"

We have Hulk to thank for the network. I guess he truly does know best.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I liked 'The Poison Fist of the Pacific Rim' as a nickname for Tatsu even if it was just a Simpson's reference.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

b..b..but the portraits are surrounded by BARBED WIRE

The main thing that is a little annoying to me is seeing the same interview clips coming up again and again in multiple episodes.

"when i saw [guy] debut on RAW/Nitro I went "whoa did that just happen?!"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I watched the Randy Savage doco last night and I get that he was Randy's brother and he probably doesn't want to say negative things about him especially after his death, but Lanny Poffo comes off as in denial about Savage's problems. The whole thing was actually kind of disappointing compared to the Stone Cold, CM Punk or Foley documentaries.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The Network should have more shows where wrestlers just get to be themselves.

I would also kill for a cooking show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsUgHGBpVV8

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I want to hear Tazz's famous solar system remark. I think it was on Velocity or Heat or something.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

RZApublican posted:

Does anyone know where that clip of DX bombing WCW is? I've tried pretty hard but I can't seem to find it on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8UkFqgvEys

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
watching the attitude era for the first time, its's kinda amazing how little HHH has to do with any of it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MassRafTer posted:

He was the champion for much of the year (with most of the main event storylines focused on him) for over a year during the hottest point of the era.

sorry, what i meant to say is up to the point i'm up to. in the middle of 1999 is HHH is basically still just a mid to upper card guy in a stable, which is what he's been since the attitude era began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

rovert posted:

SO little talk about how pissed as fart Eric Bischoff was here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgpFwojVs08

not gonna watch unless he talks about using the dick pills