Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Chewy Bitems posted:

Actually I think the reason that WWE won't release details of what's being watched on the Network will be because the most watched stuff will be the PPVs with nudity if they're uncensored.

So many people watching that clip of Regal's penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Personally, I want to see the entire run of Prime Time Wrestling. Nothing but Bobby Heenan segments and random midcard matches as far as the eyes can see.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

EazyBreezy posted:

It's weird to hear Chavo talk about it on Talk is Jericho. Chavo was covering Benoit's rear end for no showing while he was in the process of murdering his family. Then he ended up being one of the last guys to find out Benoit was dead. That's gotta be awkward as hell.

Chavo only found out that Benoit was dead during that conversation on Talk is Jericho.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

For a site I write at, my editor asked a bunch of us to write a list of PPVs we can't wait to watch once we get the Network. I was taken aback once I realized how many of them I chose were based on, "This is supposed to be terrible. I need to see it."

I never did get to see December to Dismember.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Spikeguy posted:

The censoring on ECW is definitely not complete. They've caught most of the f bombs, but Balls Mahoney most definitely said loving very loud and clear during his promo against the Dudleys on Heat Wave '99.

They also didn't censor Francine's ladybits from the end of Guilty as Charged '99.

...has anyone checked the status of Willaim Regal's wang shot?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

In case anyone was wondering, the pissed off crowd has not been tampered with in Royal Rumble 2014.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Batista posted:

So nice to watch PPVs without hearing about "WW" champions.

I think you mean "WW..." champions.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Deadpool posted:

I'm loving these old MSG shows. The newest one has Hogan vs Flair with Vince and Bobby Heenan on commentary. So great.

1991 was when I started watching wrestling and during that year I went to two MSG house shows. I can't wait for the Network to put those up because it's going to be nostalgic as hell for me.

One had a main event of Hulk Hogan vs. Sgt. Slaughter in a Desert Storm Match, which is a no-DQ match where Hogan got to wear fatigues and a gas mask. The other show had Ultimate Warrior vs. Undertaker in a Bodybag Match, coming a couple years before they realized that caskets are far cooler and more impressive-looking.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Unfortunately, my WWE Network on Xbox 360 has constantly just loaded up to the login screen and won't let me do anything. It's just frozen where the only button that works is the one that sends me back to the dashboard. The update didn't fix it at all.

That really sucks :( Anyone have any suggestions?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tried it. No go. I've had zero problems with my 360 other than this.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Looks like my problem isn't so much the WWE Network app, but all apps in general. I tried downloading the YouTube one out of curiosity that one has the same problem. It gets to the first screen and none of the buttons on my controller work except for the Dashboard one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aardvark Barber posted:

LIVE live? Like, this poo poo is happening right now live?

What happened to then?!

Anyway, finally got the 360 app to work. It appears that any and all Xbox 360 apps refuse to work with my Street Fighter IV arcade stick outside of the dashboard button. I dusted off my original controller (which I haven't used in over two years), smacked it on the side to make it work and now everything's good.

This was after spending about an hour and a half with Xbox support, who kept dismissing me when I asked, "Do you think it might be the special controller?" and had me do connection-related poo poo.

The 360 app is a good start, but it really needs a search function and a better fast-forward tool.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Phenix Rising posted:

Called support today and it was an awful, awful time. I'm not sure what the woman's first language was, but it definitely wasn't English and it made it very hard to figure anything out. She just kept starting every sentence with "Okay, okay, okay, okay" before trying to explain things.

Kind of want to hook her up with Luke Harper.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The latest MSG show they have on there (the Hogan vs. Flair one) has an interesting main event of the Rockers vs. the Nasty Boys. It's worth checking out just because it's right before the Barbershop situation. Heenan plays it up on commentary and the ending is something that's actually brought up on the Barbershop, so you can see the mounting tension.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Santheb posted:

Hearing JR say Grand Master Sexay will never get old.

Same with the disgusted way he'd call Palumbo "Chucky".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Archbishop Karaoke posted:

Wasn't there a continuation of Gang Warz in late 1997/early 1998 on a random Raw episode because the Rock-led Nation jumped 8-Ball backstage thinking it was Austin?

That was during the night of the Rumble. One of the Harris Twins got attacked backstage with the attackers thinking it was Austin. That Harris didn't show during the match, with Lawler playing it up that the empty spot belonged to Austin until he finally showed up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Considering the accident was caused by miscommunication (they had different ideas of what kind of Tombstone was going to happen), I figure Owen refused to find himself at fault as a coping mechanism. I know his wife's book claimed that Owen blamed Austin for screwing up the positioning. It's completely lovely behavior, but I can at least understand it.

Is the Austin documentary worth checking out?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Mega-Maniacs vs. Money Inc. match from Wrestlemania 9 was really before its time. Right before the match, Heenan says that according to Dibiase, it'll be "money in the bank." Then at the end of the match, Hogan gains ownership of a briefcase. At the end of the show, Yokozuna wins the WWF Championship and Hogan shows up to get a quick impromptu title win over an exhausted champ.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Willninho posted:

The Desert Storm match on the June 1991 MSG show might be my favorite Hogan match of all time and also the most American match.

I was watching some of that show earlier as it was the very first house show I've ever been to. A great highlight is Duggan vs. Mustafa where you can audibly hear Duggan calling him a son of a bitch right before reversing a clothesline.

The Heenan commentary is wonderful on these old MSG shows. Especially here, where they play up one of my favorite late-80's/early-90's WWF trope of how all the managers act like they get along but secretly hate each other.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Making my way through the 1993 Royal Rumble now.

Is there any background to the Bigelow/Boss Man match? There's no package beforehand, and I watched the RAW before it but don't recall any angle involving either, while of course the Michaels/Jannetty match has a summary beforehand. There's no title at stake, the announcers say nothing about any rivalry, it's just like they needed two big slow guys hitting each other for a while. (Granted, this is Vince McMahon we're talking about.)

It was Bam Bam's first high-profile match since his return and Boss Man was on the way out. It was just an easy way to get Bam Bam over. Pretty sure a week or so later, Boss Man had a singles match against Doink, also new, who squirted ink in Boss Man's eyes to win the match and that was the kayfabe explanation for why Boss Man stopped wrestling.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

epitasis posted:

I got the impression from a cursory look at dumb reddit that the ECW stuff that had been edited a couple weeks ago is now unedited, anyone noticed anything like that?

Yeah, on a site I write for, a friend of mine put up an article about all the current drawbacks to the Network such as the edits, the lack of content in places, everything Xbox 360, billing fuckups, etc. He mainly focused on wondering why all the New Jack matches were missing. This actually got the attention of WWE's vice president of marketing, who talked to him over the phone in order to smooth out some of the annoyances and play damage control.

He noted that the New Jack stuff is because of the difficulties with having to change out entire matches featuring "Natural Born Killer" while keeping the commentary in there, but they are working on it and will be switching it in when they get to it.

So the whole On Demand holdover thing appears to be an ongoing process.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

If WWE is stealing reality show ideas can they remake Joe Schmoe?

That thing where they decided to poo poo on a likeable guy for their own amusement until realizing that it was a bad idea and changing the writing so that he was made to look good? They've been doing that since August.

But for real, the, "Oh my God, we're monsters for doing this," part of Joe Schmoe made it all worth it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

"Xtreme WWE Collector - A WWE fan goes all over the country looking for rare memorabilia"

Special Halloween episode where a fan goes in search of a certain Hulk Hogan doll he heard rumors of.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The show's theme song.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

I have no idea who this guy is, but he needs to be in the hall of fame.

He was Jericho's muscle back in the early Y2J days. He constantly referred to him as "Mr. Huge."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

STAC Goat posted:

Or maybe (and this is just an idea, not an accusation) you just bought into this reality show more than the other reality shows because it revolves around wrestling which you obviously love so much and have so much passion for. If you're able to buy into the fake emotion of a WWE match then why not the fake emotion of a reality show? Sure, you may not buy into Desperate Housewives or The Real World but shows like Total Divas and Legends House hit you in your vulnerable spot.

I know you take offense to this word being used negatively but I'm just using it as it was originally intended. Maybe you're an "easy mark" in this case?

Teri Hatcher and Eva Longoria: reality TV stars.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The American Dream posted:

It's awful now. But when I was 13 it was loving hilarious. I think I was at the exact right age for dx. If I had been like 3 years older I would have thought it was lame and way over done. But you can't get enough dick and fart jokes at 13

I was 16 and I couldn't take DX. At least the HBK version. I didn't think they were all that funny or cool guys to root for. I just saw them as annoying heels who rarely ever got their comeuppance. Outside of a couple Foley matches, I have no memory of Triple H ever losing a high profile match. He seemed to win all the time thanks to Chyna's interference, especially in matches specifically designed to not have Chyna interfere.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I've come to realize that despite everything, Monday Night War is kind of perfect in its own way. Between WWE's weak ability to create stars for the long-term and their love for pushing nostalgia (because of their weak ability to create stars for the long-term), they've cannibalized the past so much that there's so little left on the plate. In the ring, their options are getting fewer and fewer by the day. Lesnar appears to be reaching the tail end of his in-ring career, Jericho's just a midcarder, RVD is over-the-hill, Sting is old and Rock is too good for this poo poo.

In terms of media, they're simply running out of ideas. How many Steve Austin/DX/Foley/nWo/ECW retrospectives have we seen? How many are left that they can give us? They'll have to scrounge the past for stuff like Demolition and Jimmy Hart documentaries while hoping that Kurt Angle finally frees himself of TNA so they can do one for him because the last ten years of WWE hasn't given us much to work with.

Monday Night War is like the climax to WWE's dependence on nostalgia. One more Austin documentary. One more Bret Hart documentary. After that, what's left for them to say?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Exactly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

the best thing you could do is somehow animate the andre the giant graphic novel and that still sugarcoats his legacy.

By "sugarcoats" do you mean in terms of his mythology or in terms of hiding the lovely parts of his personality?

Because the way Box Brown incorporated his deadbeat dad status is what turned the book from pretty good to fantastic for me. It's a serious gut punch.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I think I chose the wrong phrase; I meant to say a combination of both of what you mentioned.

The graphic novel is excellent and it portrays him in a more honest light that WWE would shy away if they produced his biography. I do think it puts him in a "better" light in regards to his racism seeing that Kamala has said Andre called him a slur in the ring and only backed down after Kamala shot on him. So it's not a single instance of him cracking a racist joke, there was a trend of him to make racist comments.

That's fair. I think it worked in the book because rather than have him drop the n-bomb various times to establish it, he simply tried to foolishly defend his racism the one time they show him doing it, which painted a better picture. Plus it makes more sense that they went the route they did, since the scene of Andre making up with Bad News Brown years later is taken verbatim from Brown's shoot interview and it makes for good closure.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Maxwell Lord posted:

One episode/story/whatever of Hulk Hogan's Rock 'N' Wrestling is up, in case you want to see horrible animation, random video game sound effects and a man making no attempt whatsoever to sound like Rowdy Roddy Piper.

It's kind of amazing.

On one hand, 1/3 of the people depicted on that show are dead now (Andre, Studd, JYD, Albano, Moolah). On the other hand, only 1/3 of the people depicted on that show are dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Swagger Dagger posted:

I dunno, Spider-Man has a win over Randy Savage.

The Thing has a very accomplished pro wrestling career, I'll have you know.