Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I grew up watching Superstars every Saturday afternoon at 12 on Fox 5 in New York. I'd kill for them to throw some episodes of Superstars circa 1991-92 on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
As someone who's used MLB At Bat for a couple of years, I can't say enough about the quality of their streaming. WWE will not have any issues on that front.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'd also show the Foley match from Over The Edge. That's a terrific match.

EDIT: That's in regards to the Austin question.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm watching the Zamboni Raw from 1998, with a huge smile on my face. God, this poo poo was nuts. I love Vince screaming at Austin "YOU GO TO JAIL, YOU SON OF A BITCH! YOU GO TO JAIL!".

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Frilled Lizard posted:

This coupled great with the recent Lillian Garcia podcast, where she said that she hated beer, but drank it anyways because Austin kept giving it to her and she didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

Immediately followed by the first Stone Cold Stunner ever delivered on a podcast.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nut Bunnies posted:

What the gently caress else would people be interested in? Countdown?

I got the Network for the PPVs and the back catalog, but I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed Countdown and WrestleMania Rewind. I just wish there was more of them.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I loved Flair trying to tell the story of the woman police office he made love to in Little Rock who kept a gun under her pillow.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

VogeGandire posted:

Well, it's not a huge secret that Mick hates Flair's guts. Like the story of Ric telling Mick that he's going to end up in a wheelchair by the time he's 30, when he was 29.

Flair and Foley actually made up during Mick's 2006 run and are actually friends now.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I watched Bash at the Beach 96 the other night (I've never seen it in full) and the Nasty Boys match was an automatic skip for me. Have they ever had any good matches?

Actually, that match is a fun, stiff brawl if you actually watch it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love this Slam City thing, but I wish the actual wrestlers were doing the voices.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Elaboration on HHH and Orton?

Triple H was supposed to headline WrestleMania 23 against Cena in a rematch from the previous year, but tore his quad and was out for months. They slid HBK into the slot instead.

Randy hosed up a hotel room on a European tour and got de-pushed for a while as a result, and possibly suspended. There was a famous image on the forums at the time of Randy RKOing a TV which was tremendous.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

epitasis posted:

I was definitely surprised at how decent Mero could be. He has a pretty dang good match with DDP on one of those 1995 shows.

I was a huge Marc Mero Mark in 1996, because either he (or someone posting has him) regularly posted and responded to fans on the Wildman Marc Mero page on the WWF page of AOL.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm watching the WrestleMania Rewind on Hogan/Mr. T vs. Piper/Orndorff, and it's using a different narrator. The ones I'd watched had Gary Thorne, this one has a guy who sounds eerily like Pat Summerall.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Awesome! He really gives it some gravitas, but I'd have thought for sure he was dead when they made this.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

TUS posted:

This Legends of Wrestling on outdoor stadium shows is a lot better then I thought it'd be. Backstage stuff from WM9 is amazing.

edit - they should have had a bit on Power Uti

Where are you seeing this? I don't see it listed under Legends of Wrestling.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just caught the Blunders Countdown. Dean Ambrose impresonating Dusty Rhodes is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has anyone tried seeing if Network allows simultaneous logins from different IPs yet, like MLB does?

Yes it does, but I believe only two log-ins at a time per account.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

KoldPT posted:

Which of the new shows are any good? I remember folks talking about how the last episode of WWE Countdown was amazing, but are the others worth the money?

WrestleMania Rewind has been good, but it's quality is linked more to the significance of the match they're focusing on. The Hogan/Andre one and the one on the WrestleMania I main event are very good. The one on John Cena's first 2 WrestleMania matches a bit less so. Legends of Wrestling isn't a new show per se, but is well worth checking out if you haven't seen them yet.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bearnt! posted:

On the Legends of Wrestling "In Through the Outdoors" episode they touch on WrestleMania IX. There is some what I found pretty interesting backstage footage of Vince and Shawn talking along with the production team and what all went into setting up the arena. Is this footage from another DVD? I can't imagine it was only released for this episode of Legends of Wrestling. I'm really interested in this type of stuff and would love to see more of it.

There's a lot of WrestleMania IX backstage stuff on the True Story of WrestleMania DVD that was out a few years ago. What they shot it for to begin with, I have no idea.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

JPrime posted:

I know this has been asked but I can't find it...what are the shows to watch for some good Wyatt Family and/or Shield matches?

Elimination Chamber 2014 for an awesome Wyatts vs. Shield match. Royal Rumble 2014 for an awesome Bray vs. Bryan match. Shield vs. Bryan, Kane and Ryback at TLC in 2012 is absolutely amazing. Really, almost any Shield PPV match is worth checking out.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got home and turned the Network on via Apple TV about 10 minutes before the tag title match and the sound was really tinny. By the time the Real Americans were on the ramp, the sound fixed itself, and I had no further problems the entire night. I was fully prepared to break down and order the show on PPV, but the stream worked like a gem.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
That's why pay-per-views were so awesome as a kid. It was a very rare chance to see guys who weren't total scrubs wrestling each other. Not that I'm advocating a return to that, but it was a different time.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gonz posted:

Quick, someone post the 3 minute photoshop image of that Limp Bizkit album cover that somebody won a trip to XIX with.

That was XVII, actually.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

projecthalaxy posted:

Doesn't 96 also include Mil Mascaras entering the Rumble and then jumping out by himself because no gringo could ever be strong enough to eliminate Mil Mascaras?

I think Dory Funk was in that one too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Static Rook posted:

I remember watching that match live with a few friends and we all involuntarily became Joey Styles for awhile. Cringing and shouting "oh my god!" over and over.

Is there anything worth watching from 2007-2010? The few PPVs I've tried to watch from those years have been pretty bad. It just seems like an awful, boring period of time for WWE.

WrestleMania XXIV is top-to-bottom awesome.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Daniel Bryan posted:

It's Super 8.

They'll have Cole and JBL dub commentary in I bet. LOOK HOW OLD BUDDY ROGERS IS, HE'S OLDER THAN DIRT MAGGLE.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah, as much as I hate WWE-isms, their production values have consistently increased over time and they long ago stopped looking like they were rolling film in your mom's basement.

I agree that their production is superb, I just wish they had a little more variety in their set design. It's pretty much been a variation on the Titantron/metal ramp layout since like 97.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

The_Rob posted:

I was thinking about the white ropes the other day and how boring I find them. It's not like it's expensive to make the ropes different colors. It's literally just tape that the wrap around it. Why can't we have a little variety.

I spent way too much time pondering why they colored the ropes the way they did. I liked Raw as red and SmackDown as blue, and PPVs would be black. I was irrationally angry when one of the WrestleManias had red ropes. I wish they'd color them now to fit the color scheme for the show. Like WrestleMania would've looked awesome with purple or gold ropes. MITB would be cool with green ropes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
While I'm happy about SNME, I'd absolutely kill for them to show episodes of Superstars and Challenge the way they roll out old Raw episodes. Those shows are what got me into wrestling.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nut Bunnies posted:

I can't remember specifics, but I do recall popping it in 2-3 years ago and being gobsmacked at the amount of falsehoods contained in just the first 10 minutes

e: I remembered one: he takes 100% credit for making Ron Simmons the first black world champion

That was a Bill Watts move, wasn't it?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Saturday Night's Main Event starts today, right? Are they airing them one by one or are they putting them all out at once like they did the Clashes?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

WWE Warehouse is the best, and the fact that it's a monthly YouTube show instead of a weekly Network show is a crime.

There should be a second stream that just has a camera roving through the warehouse at all times. I'd never leave my house again.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Professor Funk posted:

I didn't think about it like that, and you're probably right. I thought all of the superplexes were interesting because of the state of Austin's neck and back at that time. The more technical style was fun though, he put on several good-to-great matches during that run (I just watched Austin/Jericho/Benoit at KOTR 2001, for example).

There was a match Stone Cold had with Benoit on an episode of SmackDown during that run that's one of my favorite matches ever, and well worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

EDIT: This match has a spot where Benoit hits Austin with 10 (!) rolling germans. TEN.

TL fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 24, 2014

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was just watching No Mercy 2004 because I'm a glutton for punishment and I hate myself. I'm very impressed at how good the production team is at shooting the shows. I was at this show, and the building had maybe 8000 people in it, where a sold out show there will seat about 16,000. The way the show is shot, you'd think every seat in the building is full.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ive had a lot of buffering and skipping lately, but I've watched a bunch of stuff today and it's working like a dream.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vintimus Prime posted:

Was that the match where Cena broke his neck?

That was the match that at least in kayfabe hurt his neck, but I can't remember if he really hurt it there or not.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Seams posted:

Up to Summerslam '97 and Chyna as the bodyguard of snobby aristocrat Hunter Hearst Helmsley is such a weird team. And when she slams the cage door on Foley's head - jesus, that looked nasty.

Mick described that in his book as one of the most painful moments of his career. Chyna slammed the door on him as hard as she could, because that's the way she knew Mick wanted it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
SPAWLDINGS

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Is ECW on TNN not on the Network? After watching that ECW episode of Monday Night Wars I felt like watching the Awesome/Tazz match again but I can only find PPVs and the old ECW Hardcore TV from 93-95?

I know I can look it up on youtube but I thought WWE owned all the ECW material?

No ECW on TNN. They've got a bunch of older episodes of Hardcore TV but I think it's been awhile since they uploaded any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Red posted:

I'm voting the Royal Rumble as the best overall show, but maybe that's just because the Cactus/HHH match ruled that hard.

Backlash is awesome, too. As is SummerSlam. The only real stinkers in 2000 on PPV were WrestleMania and KOTR off the top of my head.