Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zeesik
Nov 30, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that this game is being LPed. It was a fun game and I totally forgot about it until I saw it here. Keep up the good work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
You know, I don't think we actually got to see the Transform animation. We saw the Copy Card animation, but not the Transform one, and now I'm really curious about it.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Veyrall posted:

You know, I don't think we actually got to see the Transform animation. We saw the Copy Card animation, but not the Transform one, and now I'm really curious about it.

That's actually a fair point. I'll grab one in a future episode.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I think the next episode has a transform in it. But I'll double check to make sure.

PAMaster fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 15, 2014

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 5: Collector's Edition

Moving on from sidequests, it's time to get back to the main story. We've found some information that our father, the king, may have headed through this graveyard on his crusade against the black fog. But will we find him, or just a bunch of undead? Take a wild guess. Guest commentary for this episode provided by Geop.

Tentative guess just based on what was said, the wraiths might be reminiscent of the main character from Kabuki Quantum Fighter?
They... sort of look similar? It's the closest I could find in any case.

PAMaster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 17, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I was thinking Phantom Fighter! I seriously doubt there's any sort of real connection, but they just reminded me of these doofy old Chinese ghostmen :v:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Link leads to episode 4

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Senerio posted:

Link leads to episode 4

Son of a-

Alright, fixed. Thought I double checked that too, drat...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Gamecube really was lacking on the co-op and/or multiplayer RPG front pretty well the entire way through---only one that really even comes to mind for it specifically is the woefully under-appreciated Summoner: Goddess Reborn(you will want to break something, if not everything, at trying to get the computer AI to properly and reliably stab the daylights out of things from behind---even with it being an Assassin!) unless you get into stuff like the premium PSO.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

gnome7 posted:

I highly recommend hunting down a copy, if you enjoyed this game.

Alright so it's not an official update, but I just want to say that this was fantastic advice. I ordered Lost Kingdoms 2 and just started playing. I'm about four hours in, and here's my general impression thus far:

• They have improved on the general combat and exploration mechanics drastically. I'd rate the original Lost Kingdoms at about a 6-7 out of 10 when it comes to how fun the combat is, but the second game is proving much better. Most of this comes from the fact that...
  • Combat is no longer in instanced arenas. The enemies spawn as you wander around the world, and the whole game flows much more naturally as a result.
  • They bring back locations from the first game. I love it when games do this because it's just so much fun to revisit old locations in a new time, and it gives the whole world a sense of interconnectivity.
  • The introduction of a leveling system definitely opens the possibility for grinding, but I'm not opposed to grinding and it feels much more natural than the 'get runestone get power' method of the first game.
  • Possibly as a result of the leveling thing, the difficulty seems to have taken a major spike. Captures can only take place with designated 'capture cards' that you have to purchase and put in your deck, and dealing significant damage requires use of a new mechanic that doubles the cost, and power, of the cards you use.

But again, I'm of the opinion that it is so loving good. As in, I genuinely regret never playing Lost Kingdoms 2 before now. It's going to be a long while before I know it as well as I know as the first game, though.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Man, I loved this game so much when I was younger. I never beat it due to being frustrated by running out of cards on the final stage. I was also never very good at it, so it'll be nice to see someone play it competently.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
My failure at reading is clearly immense, for I too would've strongly recommended grabbing a copy of the second game had I not somehow been under the mistaken impression that you already had it well in hand and were just being all sequential and deferential to each game being an experience unto itself for the sake of this particular LP.

The sequel is definitely more difficult, though this is far moreso the mixed case of gains via escaping from instanced combat situations into global ones than the changes to leveling and capturing. You have to change many of the old habits, and if you move freshly from the original to the sequel as I did back in the day, it will be quite a readjustment.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

I played both Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 when they come out and really enjoyed them. I never could my friends to like them so it's pretty cool to see this thread. I do remember thinking that the second one's story was really horrible for some reason.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 6: Sewer Wader

FromSoft really likes their sewer levels, don't they? Well whether or not they like them, they certainly have a talent for making them seem labyrinthine. This level is pretty simple in terms of combat, plenty of enemies weak to our faithful lizardmen...
But gently caress that, right? This episode we also get to see the Red Dragon that we transformed last episode. We don't even have the stones to cast this thing without taking damage, but screw it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Pro tip: Sea Monks and Mind Flayers are the trick to capturing everything you goddamn see. The cost to capturing monsters is it eats a lot of cards - both of them return cards to your deck. The trick is that they can return each other to your deck, along with all the other things you want to use to capture things.

So, since you have 2 Sea Monks and a Mind Flayer, you're at the point in the game where you can now just capture everything you want forever, and the more of each you put in your deck the more sustainable this gets.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I kinda wish they had done more with the whole 'casting from HP' thing. Cards that do more damage or have a different effect when cast from health would give the opportunity for turnarounds when you're losing, and give braver players a different way to speedrun stages.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Six Of Spades posted:

I kinda wish they had done more with the whole 'casting from HP' thing. Cards that do more damage or have a different effect when cast from health would give the opportunity for turnarounds when you're losing, and give braver players a different way to speedrun stages.

There are a couple cards like this. The Jack'O'Lantern card is fairly powerful with a huge AoE but does damage to the player, but it's of a rare breed of cards in this game that uses the mechanic.

Also, they... unofficially sort of play with this in the second game? Basically in game 2, cards cost double if you're not skilled enough in an element. And then double THAT if you use the powerup mechanic (which you should). So you can get cards just a couple hours in costing upwards of 20 magic crystals, which will probably be more like that. To add to the risk they also allow you to kill yourself with damage from card overuse in the second game, which gives it a completely different feel from the mechanics of the first.

Coco Bear
Feb 16, 2011

Just found this LP, and loving it so far! This level is as far as I got when playing this game as a kid, I think because of the slow water movement and the paralysis. Also because I just wasn't very good at it I guess! I still really liked the game though so it's going to be fun finally seeing the rest of it.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 7: The Castle of Secret Switches

You know how in old games, they used to hide a secret switch on an innocuous object and trust the player to find it to get a special reward? Well Lost Kingdoms asks hard hitting questions like "what if those switches were necessary to progress?"

Joining me this episode is co-commentator Latchford.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Latchford, did you just mention AdventureQuest? As in Artix Entertainment's first game, followed by DragonFable, MechQuest and AQWorlds?

...If you think its animation is bad now, you should have seen the original stuff. I played those first three games for quite a while back in the day. (DF is best, no contest.)

But for all its flaws, AQ is redeemed not by its landshark, but by Daimyo the paladin pomeranian.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, the card duel here was the first moment that really spurred my fancy for Trickster decks as it quickly devolved into everybody just flipping out all over the throne room as I suspect they shared somewhat similar AI routines.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I absolutely loved LK2, but despite my friend lending me his copy of LK1 I couldn't get into the 'Random Battle arena' thing after all of LK2's battles just taking place there in the map.

We'll never get a Lost Kingdoms 3, will we? :smith:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I absolutely loved LK2, but despite my friend lending me his copy of LK1 I couldn't get into the 'Random Battle arena' thing after all of LK2's battles just taking place there in the map.

We'll never get a Lost Kingdoms 3, will we? :smith:

FROM is still existing and going strong, so it's technically a possibility. (No, we never will)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Never say never---we live in a world where people once thought the whole Sword of Moonlight thing would be impossible, that Shadow Tower Abyss would ever get a fan translation, that the Demon/Dark Souls games would ever make it/be bludgeoned into shape to PC proper...FROM is an oddly enchanted and touched company, not absolutely, but far moreso than most.

Or, perhaps this fine LP will somehow warp the minds of some savvy Souls Fans to mod some finely wrought Card attacking doings into the latest game on PC amidst all manner of other chaos likely to unfold.

Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010

PAMaster posted:

Episode 7: The Castle of Secret Switches

You know how in old games, they used to hide a secret switch on an innocuous object and trust the player to find it to get a special reward? Well Lost Kingdoms asks hard hitting questions like "what if those switches were necessary to progress?"

Joining me this episode is co-commentator Latchford.

To be fair, the switches are always on statues that have the same pose and weapons as the statues that are blocking your path.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are you going to be trying to get show off some cards that have crazy effects when you get three of them out at once?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Oh wow, I remember this game. I loved the multiplayer aspect. Never did get to play the second one though.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Glazius posted:

Are you going to be trying to get show off some cards that have crazy effects when you get three of them out at once?

Surprisingly, it is really difficult to get those off. It'll probably have to be a bonus video, because I wasn't able ever to trigger one in the main storyline (on or off camera). But yeah, I plan to show them and some of the cooler cards off.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 8: My Kingdom for some Herb

Only quality jokes this episode, I swear. Good, wholesome, quality who the gently caress am I kidding get ready for cheap obvious weed jokes. Co-commentated once more by Latchford.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Never say never---we live in a world where people once thought the whole Sword of Moonlight thing would be impossible, that Shadow Tower Abyss would ever get a fan translation, that the Demon/Dark Souls games would ever make it/be bludgeoned into shape to PC proper...FROM is an oddly enchanted and touched company, not absolutely, but far moreso than most.

Or, perhaps this fine LP will somehow warp the minds of some savvy Souls Fans to mod some finely wrought Card attacking doings into the latest game on PC amidst all manner of other chaos likely to unfold.

I would totally play as Katia in Dark Souls II.

Goddamn, this game. :allears: I rented it back when I was like 12 years old and liked the battle system and cards, and played it a bunch. I don't remember how far I got, I think it was the bridge, actually. I don't remember if I've played Lost Kingdoms 2, what I played definitely didn't have voice acting so it must have been LK1, but I don't remember most of this playthrough so far. Weird!

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

PAMaster posted:

Starleaves

Soon as I saw that leaf, even before you said it, I was thinking the exact same thing. It now makes so much more sense why all the dinosaurs loved the poo poo out of some star leaves.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 9: Bridge over untroubled water

No guest commentary for this one, I wouldn't want to put anyone through having to try and come up with commentary for a bridge. I really don't know why this level exists, but we're going to knock it out real quick and get back to the actual storyline.

Seriously why the gently caress. It's a loving bridge and that's it, there is literally nothing else.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

I think this is the first bridge level I've seen where the bridge doesn't collapse/catch fire. Subverting expectations isn't always a good thing From Soft!

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
Honestly, watching the level makes me think it isn't quite as odious as you claim. It's filler to be sure, but less of a pain than some other levels you've shown so far.

Now that said, the entire game seems a little on the bland side, but that might just be me having played the sequel and enjoying that more.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Tetrakarn posted:

Now that said, the entire game seems a little on the bland side, but that might just be me having played the sequel and enjoying that more.

The sequel definitely improved on the game in most ways, and I'm a little sad that we'll probably never get another Lost Kingdoms, not that I'd have the time to grind out a million cards.

Both games do suffer from some bland portions, sadly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Fantastic, and underrated LP you have here.

I remember loving this game when I was younger, and I got roughly to the final level before my child-self's complete incompetence ran into a brick wall where I just flat ran out of cards against the random encounters every time. And I couldn't pull off the ridiculous low card milling strats. Banshees and Dragon Knights were always staples in my decks though!

Never picked up the sequel either, but this thread is really tempting me to. Haven't used my Wii in a while anyways.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wow, thanks for LPing this game.

I love this game so much, I bought both it and it's squeal on release. I was just thinking it needed an LP too.

The second one is such an improvement as well, but they're both incredibly underrated games.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Episode 10: A Goose in Crystal

Assuming that it takes a long as hell time for those stalagmites to form, that would mean that the card under that crystal pillar is incredibly old. A relic from times when those monsters weren't such a pain to catch, maybe?
In any case, this episode we head to the Yyprek mines to retrieve the stolen Kendarie runestone. Joining me this episode for co-commentary is Eike.

Childre Inarabitta
Jul 22, 2007

Frozen Funeral Death Rabbit
I recently had a friend play through this game for the first time back in December, and rather than saying the Golden Goose was a hard to get card, I said it was an amazingly powerful one. I had a good laugh when I had him read the card description out loud to me.

I've actually used it as a decoy monster, or tried to, but it can take maybe 1 hit before dying and it seems to disappear at random too. It's such an odd monster because it randomly shows up in 2P vs matches, in both this and the second game. At least it looks sweet?

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp
Just discovered this thread and finished marathoning the videos. Loved this game a lot in high school. I think I got pretty far in it, but never finished because I was really really bad at that the game and would use a bunch of sea monks and fairies and recycle all of them to get through the stages. I really wish I knew about not having any consequences for aborting a mission.

Can you demo a spin card? Not the carbuncle though. I actually really liked using the juggernauts to run over a bunch of guys. Are there any good spin cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Holy crap,I remember this game! I haven't seen this since maybe the 5th grade, when a friend of mine had it and I watched him play. He got stuck at one part where you needed to hit 4 switches(?) and get them to low health at the same time. No gamefaqs back then, but I think the next time I came over he found the God of Destruction card he needed.

I have no idea why I remember this though. I moved, so I haven't seen my friend since then, and I only saw this game played twice ever. I guess I thought it was cool since it used cards to do stuff? Well, it'll be nice to find out if the game was any good.

• Locked thread