Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Great OP, going to miss the opener against France unless my club game is rained off (which is a distinct possibility given the flooding around here at the moment) but I'll be watching it Sunday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Despatcher posted:

If Scotland are playing, there's nothing like watching it in Kay's bar on Jamaica street. It's thick with retired players and the pub is the size of a small hatchback.

That reminds me of the time I met Geoff Cross. Was at a friend's wedding and he was a school friend of the groom. Absolute chock of a man, got loudly drunk and when the ceilidh started he demonstrated an incredible quality: he physically couldn't move sideways. The dancing had to pivot around him! Great night and utterly hilarious.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Heavy_D posted:

Since it remains an open question in the thread, I thought I'd take a go at explain who gets a lineout and where. It depends on lots of factors, one of which is whether the ball went off on the full - meaning it left the field without bouncing. In order of preference for the kicking team:
  • If the kicking team is awarded a penalty, they may kick it out on the full and the lineout is taken from the point the ball crosses the line, and the kicking team is awarded the lineout. So essentially the point is to kick it as far upfield as possible, as high as you like. You keep possession and gain territory.
  • If the kicking team is awarded a free kick (these are rare) or the kicker is in their team's 22, they may kick it out on the full and the lineout is taken from the point the ball crosses the line, but the opposing team gets the throw. This trades possession for territory, but usually a good move if the ball is in your own 22.
  • If none of the above apply, and the kick bounces before it crosses the line, then it's a lineout for the opposition at the point where the ball crosses the line. Again it trades possession for territory, sometimes a worthwhile trade.
  • If none of the above apply, and the kick is out on the full, then it's a lineout for the opposition but taken in line with the point that the ball was kicked. This is obviously undesirable, as you give away possession but gain no ground.
You can't have a lineout closer than 5m from the tryline, so all "kicks to the corner" are taken from the 5m line instead. I think that's everything, but there are probably people out there with more knowledge than me who can fill any gaps.

There's also quick throws where if the ball hasn't been handled by anyone other than the player taking the throw and no line has formed they can throw it back into play to one of their own team as long as they throw backwards.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Infected Mushroom posted:

I'll have you know in the last game of English rugby I watched, there were two tries scored :colbert:

You didn't watch Tigers yesterday, obviously.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

tarbrush posted:

Do we? I didn't get the letter evidently

I'm sure in other people's minds we do. But then someone just called the All Blacks 'goodies' so I think we're driving into the twilight zone here. Shaping up to be a good set of internationals anyway.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Barnes was loving diabolical.

Of course he was, its what he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Without any vested interest in your dirty southern hemisphere game I think it was a well considered call though the angle probably makes it look worse. Accidental and without malicious intent but still try stopping tackle to the head.

Problem is, as others have said, this hasn't been consistently refereed. Really, like the scrum, the IRB need to focus on effective enforcement of the laws for a while rather than tinkering with the phrasing.

• Locked thread