Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Mikl posted:

A modest proposal

Goons and goonettes. As you may know, thanks to the power of previous playthroughs, we know that there is trouble looming ahead. Namely this fucker:

Look at his face. Look at how smug he is. I say we wipe that grin off his face.

He will be coming to Nova by ship.

As of the latest update, we have fifty points in Strategy, and zero points in both Logistics and Naval Strategy. My plan, therefore, is the following: we first study Logistics so we break the 50-point cap on the other two Military skills. Then we pour everything we have into Naval Strategy and bring it to 100, so we can sail to meet Togami's fleet when it shows up and end him before he even sets foot on Novan soil.

My vote: logistics x2 and naval strategy.

What says you?

Sounds like a fairly reasonable plan to me....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

You know, speaking of Anime King, I am reminded of how this game was compared to Crusader Kings 2. And in light of that....

Where is his Casus Belli!? He can't preform an overseas invasion without a suitable CB, and I am certain he isn't Norse! He MUST have fabricated a claim on our territory! Invest in foreign intelligence! Find the enemy chancellor and put a stop to this before it's to late!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

LJN92 posted:

You know, speaking of Anime King, I am reminded of how this game was compared to Crusader Kings 2. And in light of that....

Where is his Casus Belli!? He can't preform an overseas invasion without a suitable CB, and I am certain he isn't Norse! He MUST have fabricated a claim on our territory! Invest in foreign intelligence! Find the enemy chancellor and put a stop to this before it's to late!

He probably invited a claimant to his court and the married them off to his family.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Don't forget we need some intrigue in order to get our agents to watch out for foreign threats. And we might possibly need Divination in order to see the omens of war.
So, uh, I guess 2Foreign Intelligence and Divination?

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
Dogs, Divination, Decoration, Devilishlyhandsometuxedo

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Right now we are just voting on classes for week 18 (the week we meet Sirin and give orders to our agents) and week 19 (the week we decide about taxes), because otherwise we'd be voting about taxes as well as how to fail at talking to Sirin. Worrying about the chocolates is a little premature:

Week 25 is the falling star (where we need at least some of both logistics and trade, because 100 Trade didn't help us pass the logistics+trade check, or more than 70 Divination (possibly 90, since that class mentions stars)).

Week 28 is the trip to Sudbury, where either we need reflexes+archery>67 or reflexes>10 and archery>57 (depending on which kind of check it is) or battlefield medicine>0 (if we go), or we might want court manners>50 (if we don't).

The chocolates aren't until Week 32.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

With the agents check coming up, I'm seconding foreign intel x2 and internal affairs. Intrigue first, then we can prepare to smack Anime King to the bottom of the ocean.

Oh, and try to shame Sirin. While wearing the magical girl outfit for maximum ridiculousness.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

LJN92 posted:

Where is his Casus Belli!?
It's magic. Literally.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

LJN92 posted:

Where is his Casus Belli!?

I'll repeat what I said before: Coastal Conquest. Fucker's a Magic Republic, most likely.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
If you all are really thinking of taking the naval battle to King Anime in the far future, then I'm going to say Elodie should learn to swim. Because let's face it, we will probably need to pass a swimming check, and a high one at that, if we do it. I don't even see what other places in the game that skill would be for. We've kinda neglected going to the royal gym in the previous playthroughs.

Actually if this Elodie dies, I kinda wanna see one that prioritizes physical and martial prowess. Unstoppable viking battle princess, yargh. Sadly I doubt she could become a super buff bodybuilder unless a muscle suit is the outfit for those skills. :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

zonohedron posted:

Right now we are just voting on classes for week 18 (the week we meet Sirin and give orders to our agents) and week 19 (the week we decide about taxes), because otherwise we'd be voting about taxes as well as how to fail at talking to Sirin. Worrying about the chocolates is a little premature:

Week 25 is the falling star (where we need at least some of both logistics and trade, because 100 Trade didn't help us pass the logistics+trade check, or more than 70 Divination (possibly 90, since that class mentions stars)).

Week 28 is the trip to Sudbury, where either we need reflexes+archery>67 or reflexes>10 and archery>57 (depending on which kind of check it is) or battlefield medicine>0 (if we go), or we might want court manners>50 (if we don't).

The chocolates aren't until Week 32.

The thing about all these attempted murders is we never really found out who was behind it, did we? Maybe getting engaged to a powerful ally or appointing a magical minister might have scared or prevented some of these. We'll see in the days to come.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HGH posted:

The thing about all these attempted murders is we never really found out who was behind it, did we? Maybe getting engaged to a powerful ally or appointing a magical minister might have scared or prevented some of these. We'll see in the days to come.

That's true, but I don't think it's a spoiler to say that we won't know if we've prevented the chocolates unless they simply don't arrive (since we had no warning they were coming except an omen we saw minutes before). While we might get a warning or an all-clear regarding the trip for Gwenelle's birthday, the first time around we didn't get either, so if we want to go to Sudbury we should probably try to be able to survive archers.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Wield Magic to finish it off.
Foreign Intelligence x2 to figure where to send our agents. Though I can't remember when that check happens. And intrigue is cool. Unless that check isn't for a while, in which case, there are other things to level.
Fabutux! Because you can't be in MAGICAL LUMEN TUXEDO SEVEN without a tux!

Oh, and trip her, I guess. Maybe 15 Reflexes is enough, but I doubt it. So we'll fail at it, and that will be our impetus to get all physical with classes.

After we're satisfied with our Intrigue stuff, I'd say we should crank the hell out of Swords + Reflexes + Archery so that we can go to the party. And also be a magical swording powerhouse because that's awesome. And then we should really focus on maxing our military stuff. Magical stabbing warprincess is pretty fun.

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 25, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Sirin

Trip her: 7

Shame her with silent scorn: 7

Insult her with false flattery: 4

Outfit

Tux: 4

Magical Girl: 3

Not Magical Girl: 2

Anti-tux Alliance: 1

Classes

Foreign Intelligence: 33

Wield Magic: 16

Intrigue: 9

Internal Affairs: 8

Logistics: 7

Swords: 5

Court Manners: 3

Naval Strategy: 3

Military: 2

Divination: 2

Ciphering: 1

Production: 1

Trade: 1

Dogs: 1

Battlefield Medicine: 1

Decoration: 1

Winners

Shame her with silent scorn

Tux

Foreign Intelligence x 5

Wield Magic x 1

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

You wander downstairs to visit your father and talk about the latest events in the domain. You're moving with such enthusiasm that you don't realise your father isn't alone until it's too late to avoid him and his... companion.

You are too kind, Joslyn.

Countess Sirin. Not a member of your circles - she's a bit more than a decade your senior, far too old to have ever been your friend. And yet, not at all old, as noblewomen go. She has two minor titles, no husband, and your father's arm in her grasp.

How dare she make a move on your father?

You meet her eyes and imagine your mother's disapproving presence behind you.

She notices your stare, but only smiles at you ever-so-sweetly.

Darling Elodie. I hope you have been well.

... Fine.

Perhaps we'll be seeing more of each other in the future.

She gives a little wave and exits. Once she's gone, you raise an eyebrow at your father.

This is the path that you have set us on.

What do you mean?

Your acts have made everyone think about preparations for the future. Caloris needs an heir. My brother, your uncle Armand, is looking for a wife as well. One of us, at least, must produce more children.

But... Mama...

Nothing can ever replace your mother. But we all have to do things that we don't want to do.

You should be careful how you deal with people like Sirin. You need the goodwill of your nobles as well as your commoners.

There haven't been any problems so far.

As Queen, you must be aware of everything around you.

(I am paying attention to what's around me!)

Pssst! I need to talk to you!

What is it?

That priestess, Selene... She's a Lumen! I can sense it!

I know.

What do you mean, you know? If you knew that, why didn't you tell me?

You didn't need to know. Your job is managing the domain. Some of us have other duties. Our missions have been passed down for centuries, little princess.

We are here to train you. You don't need to know any more than that.

Besides this choice, what should we do about taxes next week (we have over 9100 gold tilasse)?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Execute her Make her explain.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Knowledge is power. Lower the taxes.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

You should be careful how you deal with upcoming events like this. You need to make sure you have the proper skills before it happens.

There haven't been (many) problems so far.

As Goons, you must be aware of everything around you.

(We are paying attention to what's around us!)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
We had to little intrigue.
To bad.
Lower taxes, to appease the plebs and summon the hidden Lumen to let her explain.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Order her to explain and lower taxes. We have a pretty solid treasury, as things stand; let's invest in the goodwill of our people.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Order her to explain! She's our teacher, so she has to teach us everything, right? :pseudo:

Also, keep taxes the same. 9100 lassi should be plenty.

As far as the voting in general goes, since we're Willful won't 5x Foreign Intelligence take us over the cap? (For that matter, won't 4x?)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Explain or it's off to the dungeons with you!

Also we should keep taxes the same because this way we hopefully won't piss off anybody.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

zonohedron posted:

As far as the voting in general goes, since we're Willful won't 5x Foreign Intelligence take us over the cap? (For that matter, won't 4x?)

Once we hit the cap, I'll take the next place skill (Internal affairs)

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Lower taxes No need to make people angry, but we should try to make people happy.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

You didn't need to know. Your job is managing the domain. Some of us have other duties. Our missions have been passed down for centuries, little princess.

We are here to train you. You don't need to know any more than that.

Now that's just straight-up insolence. Wring the truth out of her.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Lucy, you got some splainin' to do!

Keep taxes the same. We don't need the money (yet), and we don't need to tick off the citizenry. On the other hand, there's no need to really lower them either.

MAGICAL LUMEN TUXEDO SEVEN FOR LIFE!

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 25, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lower taxes. Who needs money anyway? The peasants do.

Choke the knowledge out of the witch. We do need to know you idiot! :argh: With enough lumens we might be able to blast away the whole invasion force or something. What's king anime going to do against multiple lumens in the throne room?

Eat the tux and fertilize the garden with it.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Raise taxes, Elodie has enough Accounting to pass that check,
Explain yourself!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Keep taxes the same! We were smart with Accounting last time but apparently that still angers the populace a bit, so we should really avoid getting killed on the last day again!

I can't believe we only thought of training Intrigue the week before the check. Jeez. At least that's an improvement on trying to train stuff after checks happen!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Order her to explain, and keep taxes where they're at.

We'll probably need presence or something to get the truth out of her, but it can't hurt to give it a try and see what we get out of her. I doubt she'll get mad enough to ever attack us unless we outright attack her - look how long she restrained herself before wringing Elodie's little neck in that run through.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Demand an explanation

Keep taxes where they are

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Let it go. Seriously people: have we not learned our goddamn lesson yet? Don't. gently caress. With. The witch. It never ends well.

Oh, and keep taxes the same, I guess. No need to end up with another revolt.

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014
Order her to explain and raise the taxes. If the peasants have a problem this time, they can take it up with our epic peasant-slaying lumen powers.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Demand an explanation.

Lower Taxes. Keep everyone happy this time so we don't get sacked.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

She seems pretty keen on protecting us even if she won't tell us everything. I say let it go for now.

As for taxes lower them, we can afford it and I'd really rather not lose at the very end this time :v:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Accuse Explain.

Raise taxes.

You're all stepping on eggshells around these peasants.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HGH posted:

I can't believe we only thought of training Intrigue the week before the check. Jeez. At least that's an improvement on trying to train stuff after checks happen!

It's not that we didn't think of it so much as that we were focused on raising Lumen skills. This is why I have a spreadsheet for planning out various runs through the game - since I know (most of) the skill checks by now, I can say "okay I need more than 32.1 but not more than 47.4 Intrigue by week 18" (numbers from the times we've seen the check in this thread) and plan accordingly. (Some people would find that intolerably tedious. I like it. :colbert:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Keep taxes the same
Demand an explanation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

MegaZeroX posted:

Your acts have made everyone think about preparations for the future. Caloris needs an heir. My brother, your uncle Armand, is looking for a wife as well. One of us, at least, must produce more children.

But... Mama...

Nothing can ever replace your mother. But we all have to do things that we don't want to do.

You just know he's been planning that as revenge for Elodie marrying herself off to the first eligible bachelor she saw.

Order Juliana to explain!
Lower Taxes. We probably have the money for it, let's see what that does.

• Locked thread