Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So be it.

Ships close in on each other, angling into range.

You take your position with a spyglass, watching the enemy movements closely and shouting out any necessary changes in plan. The Shanjians outnumber you slightly, but it could all come down to strategy.

Your skill in long-range magic makes you as effective as a cannon (and more maneuverable), but there is still only one of you.
The eventual outcome...

...is a hard-fought victory.

You have repelled the invasion fleet, driving the survivors back across the sea. You and your sailors are heroes, and Nova is safe once more.

Next week...

We have obtained a number of Shanjian prisoners who survived the naval battle. A few are from wealthy families and can be ransomed, but most are common sailors and soldiers. What do you intend to do with them?

I'm going to choose the most sensible option without goon input.

Ransom back the ones whose families will pay. Offer the soldiers and such their freedom if they are willing to serve in my army instead.

Very well.

You visit the royal treasury and check your available funds. You have eight hundred and fifteen gold lassi and ninety-seven silver tilassi.

Better. Not good, but better.

People are hanging your portrait outside their homes and decorating it with flowers like a shrine.

Everyone loves you.

During the epilogue...

Option A: Save the Day through the power of Music! Also learn about what is actually happening in the realm.

Option B: Evil Elodie Playthrough!

Option C: Select an achievement. I then get it.

Option D: Name a character. They die, if they are able to.

Option E: Kill as many named characters as possible in a playthrough.

It has been unanimously decided by the goonocrocy that I can share the order that I recommend. I'd recommend going A, then B, then C and D. I wouldn't recommend option E as a lot of characters can't be killed if you want to kill another, so it wouldn't cover quite a few of them.

This round of voting will go on for two days, and will end on Saturday at 4PM EST.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
POWER OF MUSIC! :megadeath:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Do them in the order you just said.

I imagine you'll do enough killing in the evil playthrough to sate our bloodlust.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm going to choose the most sensible option without goon input.

But that option isn't "Execute them all" :argh:

Anywho, let's go with Option :sax:

I want to save Evil Elodie for last. :getin:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Power of Music. :drum:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Time for Demon-Queen Elodie.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Did we not even have a naval strategy check during that battle? That's a little odd.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Elodie to sing a melodie.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Evil Elodie Go!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm fairly sure it's a hidden check. I think it's hidden because it uses more than just naval strategy, it also depends on how many ships you have, and if you have enough soldiers to man them all. Don't quote me on this, but I think we just barely made that check.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Did we not even have a naval strategy check during that battle? That's a little odd.

The naval strategy doesn't have a check here but effects a hidden value that gives you troop strength. The wield magic check we passed and the number of troops we had also went into that value. When the number is high enough, we get to defeat the enemy navy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Let's turn this poo poo into a Disney musical :toot:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm fairly sure it's a hidden check. I think it's hidden because it uses more than just naval strategy, it also depends on how many ships you have, and if you have enough soldiers to man them all. Don't quote me on this, but I think we just barely made that check.

Apart from passing the Climbing check, what could have made us any stronger? We seemed to check all the boxes (maximum troop recruitment, build more ships, maxed strategy, maxed lumen).

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MegaZeroX posted:

The naval strategy doesn't have a check here but effects a hidden value that gives you troop strength. The wield magic check we passed and the number of troops we had also went into that value. When the number is high enough, we get to defeat the enemy navy.

Do you know how much the ships add to that value? Cause my understanding is that winning the naval battle without building more ships is nearly outright impossible.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Apart from passing the Climbing check, what could have made us any stronger? We seemed to check all the boxes (maximum troop recruitment, build more ships, maxed strategy, maxed lumen).

We could have gotten our agents to spy on the foreign nations. It is also possible to strike a foreign alliance with Ixion on week 10 and get foreign aid from them.

Also, I forgot to mention, this vote is going on until Saturday at 4 PM EST.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Do you know how much the ships add to that value? Cause my understanding is that winning the naval battle without building more ships is nearly outright impossible.

I don't know exactly how the game's calculation for this value works. As far as I'm aware, no one other than Hanako knows.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 16, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Can we eventually see the ending to the anti-magic run we did? I want to see if Anime-Dad wakes up from his coma or not.

Otherwise the power of music is fine.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Nondevor posted:

Can we eventually see the ending to the anti-magic run we did? I want to see if Anime-Dad wakes up from his coma or not.

Otherwise the power of music is fine.

Sure. I'll show that probably near the end of the LP.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Regarding Option E, someone on the Hanako forums says it's possible to kill a pretty large amount of people on one playthrough. I might experiment with this now I have the game myself, but I'd be interested to see how depressing the epilogue can get.

Edit: Removed spoilers; forgot this thread had a blanket ban rather than allowing spoiler tags. Sorry!

No More Toast fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 16, 2014

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Do the recommended order.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Can you please remove the list? I still have a no spoiler policy, and though the we are approaching the end, you will need to PM me if you want to ask if you can post spoilery content. In general, I will only say yes if I don't plan on it being shown. Anyways I don't believe that you can kill all of those people in a single playthrough. Especially the 4th to last and the last 3.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

We've done the power of magic, let's do the power of music

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I want to see the Fanciest Queen. Poise, dancing, speech-giving, all the most stereotypical royalty stuff.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I'll go with Option A. The more we know about everyone, the more satisfying it'll be when we kill em all. :unsmigghh:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Let's learn what is actually going on in the realm. And pick up an instrument along the way. :guitar:

edit: Magical girl outfit delenda est

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 16, 2014

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014
Evil Elodie! I really like the power of music playthrough too, but that's my favorite one.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Option A! The Power of Music is my favorite event.

I'm also going to vote for Option C namely the blessing of cats.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I want to see the Fanciest Queen. Poise, dancing, speech-giving, all the most stereotypical royalty stuff.

Yes, let's see this! That should all be possible on the way to "saving the day through the power of music", too. (The Fanciest Queen should also find a way to talk to Adair's father at the gala. :sparkles:)

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 16, 2014

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Option A to Save the world just like Bill and Ted did. :rock:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Option A It's the feel good ending of the game, honestly.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The Power of Music

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Rock out.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The great thing about the naval victory, at least for when I first got it in-game, was it was the culmination of getting beat down by that bastard foreign lumen king or his military over and over. Unlimited Magical Power was the only other route I had figured out, but it kind of felt like a cop-out. Finally crushing the fleet on the high seas was the best feeling, especially since it's not possible to win the battle through pure strategy checks; you need to lay the groundwork first.

Anyway, let's do Music (duh), and also get us the 'favor of cats' Achievement

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd say something, but honestly, I like seeing music then evil, so follow your order.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Option A, it'll be nice to find out what's really going on. And I've got to see how Music saves the day.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I'd like you to show three things: Option A, kicking the poo poo out of anime king in a duel, and the dark forest

How you go about that is up to you.

One Room Disco
Dec 23, 2013
Option A! And I'd also like to see us gain the favor of cats.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
As per the recommended order.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Saving the day with the power of music is hilarious. I laughed for about ten minutes, in between asking if I really just did that.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

As far as the naval battle goes, my understanding (from doing it a bunch, not from looking at the code) is that the calculations go something like this:
1) The Shanjians start out with an overwhelmingly large number of ships.
2) There are three ways to reduce their advantage (and you can do all of them in one playthrough); if you haven't done any of them, you lose. (I know you can do it with (spoilers go here) alone, and we've seen that we can do it with building more ships alone. I don't know if you can do it with help from Ixion alone, but I imagine so, since you can do either of the others alone.)
3) Then, the game does math with your number of soldiers and your Military skills, and gives you a bonus for the climbing check, the wield magic check, or both, as well as having reduced the Shanjian advantage more than once.
4) If the calculation comes up in your favor, you get a "hard-fought victory"; if it doesn't, or if you aren't present to direct the fleet personally, you lose.

So it's not that we "just barely" won, because it would always be a "hard-fought victory"; yes, we only did one of the three advantage-reducing things, but we had the recruitment posters, we hired criminals, we hired sailors at the last minute, and we passed the wield magic check, so we were in good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Let's show off the power of music.

• Locked thread