Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

MegaZeroX posted:

Wow, Benett is worse than Banion. We executed his sister, Brin. His brother will be executed if he doesn't oppose us, and Bannett is siding with us with a smile on his face because he got a title. Cold.

Standing against his wife, too. What a piece of poo poo.

I like him. Let's give him more titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009

eating only apples posted:

And more land.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Hedera Helix posted:

Neat, a lot of new characters introduced in this update... of which, three are palette swaps. And Arisse and Fabian both look way older than their stated ages. Oh well.

To be fair, 2 of the palette swaps are brothers of the people they are palette swaps of. Fabian also dies in a few weeks (which is why we have to relocate Adair), so 60 is very old for Nova, like it was in the middle ages.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

MegaZeroX posted:

Wow, Benett is worse than Banion. We executed his sister, Brin. His brother will be executed if he doesn't oppose us, and Bannett is siding with us with a smile on his face because he got a title. Cold.

eating only apples posted:

A Pair Of Ducks posted:

And more land.

I wish we could straight up marry him. Ah well, maybe next patch? One can hope...

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

MegaZeroX posted:

To be fair, 2 of the palette swaps are brothers of the people they are palette swaps of. Fabian also dies in a few weeks (which is why we have to relocate Adair), so 60 is very old for Nova, like it was in the middle ages.

Except Fabian's father Erwin is still alive, which makes him at least 75 or so, and he's well enough to dance with Elodie. I think Fabian looks really old because he's sick (since he's going to die in a couple of weeks).

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

It's sort of bothersome that Arisse is 53 years old and that's evidently old enough that nobody will suspect any foul play if she suddenly dies in her sleep.

quote:

: You expect me to believe that this was natural causes, you treacherous quack?! Just look at her face and the tearing in the bedsheets! She obviously struggled as she was smothered with her own embroidered horse pillow!

: It always looks that way, actually. All the doctors just call it Sudden Geriatric Death Syndrome.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 22, 2014

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

zonohedron posted:

Except Fabian's father Erwin is still alive, which makes him at least 75 or so, and he's well enough to dance with Elodie. I think Fabian looks really old because he's sick (since he's going to die in a couple of weeks).

Erwin is not Fabian's father, he's the father of Fabian's (dead) child bride.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

gegi posted:

Erwin is not Fabian's father, he's the father of Fabian's (dead) child bride.

:doh: I keep forgetting that, and I've even talked to Fabian at the gala more than once.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

I Said No posted:

This guy would certainly agree with you.

I doubt it -- according to most historical sources he wasn't exactly together enough to have an accurate self image.

... Chances are if he did, he'd have been screaming nonstop.

Good grief, the Hapsburgs. Married into owning three quarters of Europe, then inbred into drooling imbecility. Sic Transit, indeed...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Failed product of an experiment intended to combine every single royal lineage of Europe into a single bloodline, thus creating the ultimate monarch. I'm sure there was a secret laboratory involved.

Behold, the horrors science has wrought!

edit:

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 22, 2014

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

my dad posted:

Failed product of an experiment intended to combine every single royal lineage of Europe into a single bloodline, thus creating the ultimate monarch. I'm sure there was a secret laboratory involved.

And note that this was a portrait painted during his lifetime, so the painter went through every effort to make him look as handsome as possible while still being recognizable.

This was the best he could do. Imagine what he had to work with.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

my dad posted:

So secret they never told the scientists how to get there and had to improvise with three interns, five previously-used lab mice, and an Idea Guy.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Apparently marrying your sister's daughter was the thing to do with that family.

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009
European bloodlines were nine kinds of hosed up. You had so much interbreeding to basically make unbreakable pacts with each other (you can't stab family right? Right?) that Charles II wasn't the only example of :science: gone wrong.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least the royal blood was very pure. :v:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Now that Something Awful is back up: I'll post the next update tomorrow. What is with All These Corpses, Princess? won by a large margin, so the thread title will now be that.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

MegaZeroX posted:

Now that Something Awful is back up: I'll post the next update tomorrow. What is with All These Corpses, Princess? won by a large margin, so the thread title will now be that.

Wow, switching just two words change the whole meaning of a title.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Vagon posted:

Apparently marrying your sister's daughter was the thing to do with that family.

It had to do with inheritance. The Hapsburgs owned more than half of Europe by that point, and they really wanted to keep it in the family. The only times they married outside of it was to add more lands.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
You'd think they'd manage to find some genetic material and titles OUTSIDE the family, holy poo poo.

Wasn't inbreeding a no-no since Roman days?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Samuel posted:

You'd think they'd manage to find some genetic material and titles OUTSIDE the family, holy poo poo.

Wasn't inbreeding a no-no since Roman days?

Roman days were not the end of it, given, for example, Cleopatra's family stick. There was a Count of Armagnac who married his own sister in the 13th century.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Roman days were not the end of it, given, for example, Cleopatra's family stick. There was a Count of Armagnac who married his own sister in the 13th century.

When he was talking about Roman days he was talking more Rome and Europe itself than the countries and cultures that surrounded it.

Otherwise, Ancient/Antiquity Egypt definitely wins the inbred nobility prize by a mile. Even Egypt's Gods were inbred hillbillies!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Skyfinder posted:

When he was talking about Roman days he was talking more Rome and Europe itself than the countries and cultures that surrounded it.

Otherwise, Ancient/Antiquity Egypt definitely wins the inbred nobility prize by a mile. Even Egypt's Gods were inbred hillbillies!

Bear in mind that Cleopatra was contemporary to, and Egypt a client state of, Rome, fully annexed into the Empire following Cleopatra's death for backing the wrong Roman in the latest civil war. If you're shacking up with multiple Roman emperors and triumviri, you count as Roman.

Most ancient gods are pretty damned incestuous and inbred: There's only rare examples of wives being taken from outside a given pantheon, such as with the Aesir and Vanir for the Norse.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Fair point on both accounts.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Bear in mind that Cleopatra was contemporary to, and Egypt a client state of, Rome, fully annexed into the Empire following Cleopatra's death for backing the wrong Roman in the latest civil war. If you're shacking up with multiple Roman emperors and triumviri, you count as Roman.

You really don't count as romans just because you bonked a politician, once egypt starts cranking out legions, erecting statues to mars (just like how Alexander entered the pantheon as a greek-egyptian under Amon-zeus) and the social hierarchy changes to something more pleb-wealthy plebes-patricians, it's not really ROMAN roman. Just occupied territory that's shackled or being converted depending on the willingness of the people.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Basically what I'm seeing is that Elodie needs to purge the entire aristocracy and grant their titles to any commoner who happens to have Lumen potential, then pool their magic and use it to wipe out the ruling structure of every other country while she's at it. It's the only way to save the medieval world from itself.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Basically what I'm seeing is that Elodie needs to purge the entire aristocracy and grant their titles to any commoner who happens to have Lumen potential, then pool their magic and use it to wipe out the ruling structure of every other country while she's at it. It's the only way to save the medieval world from itself summon motherfucking Azathoth.

Fixed that for you.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Sorry, family obligations took longer than I expected them to today. Murder Princess should be coming to a forum near you on June 27th.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
LLTQ is on (flash) sale again, good time to grab it.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Samuel posted:

You really don't count as romans just because you bonked a politician, once egypt starts cranking out legions, erecting statues to mars (just like how Alexander entered the pantheon as a greek-egyptian under Amon-zeus) and the social hierarchy changes to something more pleb-wealthy plebes-patricians, it's not really ROMAN roman. Just occupied territory that's shackled or being converted depending on the willingness of the people.

Not to mention the Romans themselves considered her a evil foreign witch woman who seduced away Marc Anthony with her evil foreign witch woman wiles. Now, this was due to Octavian's propaganda machine, but the attacks wouldn't have worked if Cleopatra wasn't considered foreign in the first place.

Now, you can make the argument that she was Greek-the rest of her family most definitely was, but Cleo herself took pains to assimilate. She was the first Ptolemy to learn Egyptian.

Smiling Knight fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 27, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, I thought this was about the expression "since Roman days", which is about time period not whether someone was actually a Roman resident or citizen.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

ArcadePark posted:

Wow, switching just two words change the whole meaning of a title.

Straight out of The Conversation.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the evil mcevil playthrough. I'm actually pretty curious about the other factions out there too, we'll see what being a monster reveals about it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Technically, this is only an hour and a half late on Baker Island.

For this, I did a playthrough where I made the decisions that would make the nobles hate me the most, then I went to Gwenelle's birthday party and agreed to help with Briony's adventure.

Matters have come to a crisis. Arisse, the Duchess of Lillah, has declared civil war.

What?!?

Apparently she feels that you are a weak leader, unfit to be Queen, and has managed to sway several others to her banner.

Who is against me?

A number of minor earls and countesses. The Duchess of Mead and the Duke of Kigal. The situation in Hellas and Maree is less clear.

Wait a minute!

The Duchess of Mead is one of the rebels - but we have her daughter Briony here at the castle!

Why is Briony here?

Long story. She wanted an adventure.

So I'll write to the rebels and tell them they'd better back down if they value her life.

Would you really execute one of your old school friends?

Does that even matter? They'll give in.

There are ways to increase the number of soldiers you have available. You could offer to pardon various imprisoned criminals in exchange for military service.

I don't think criminals will make trustworthy soldiers.

Very well.

Forces are in motion, but they will take time to reach their peak.

The negotiator for the rebels has arrived to speak with you.

Diplomat: We require proof that Lady Mead is in your custody and unharmed.

Fine. Briony! Get in here!

What do you want now, Elodie? This has been the worst vacation ever! I thought we were supposed to go on an adventure together. I am tired of being cooped up in that tower! I want to go home!

As you can see, she's her usual self.

Diplomat: What are your demands?

I can't trust nobles who are willing to turn traitor against me. In exchange for Briony's freedom, the leaders of the rebellion will be stripped of their titles.

They will then be exiled from the domain of Nova, under order of execution if they ever return. This rule applies to the Duchess of Lillah, the Duchess-Consort of Kigal, and the Duchess of Mead. (It was Arisse and her daughters who planned this.)

Diplomat: That is a great deal to ask for.

I don't think exile is too high a price to pay for the life of Briony.

Diplomat: ... Very well. As long as the designated heirs are still allowed to inherit, we will accept.

As long as those heirs know what's good for them and don't try this again.

(That will make Briony the new Duchess of Mead, and Arisse's middle son Kiran the Duke of Lillah.)

(And they're both about my age and sort of friendly with me, so this works out pretty well!)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Putting your highschool class in control of the country, one rebellion at a time.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Even if her parents were pretty inattentive, I doubt that Brony is going to thank us for kicking her parents out of the country.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

paradoxGentleman posted:

Even if her parents were pretty inattentive, I doubt that Brony is going to thank us for kicking her parents out of the country.

She will once you take her out on some adventures.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

Putting your highschool class in control of the country, one rebellion at a time.

Not to mention taking them hostage and locking them in the highest tower of the palace as a political move against their parents.

Vadoc posted:

She will once you take her out on some adventures.

What's awful about Briony is that she doesn't so much want to go on an adventure for the sake of adventuring; she just has severe attention issues stemming from her parents deliberately keeping her away from their home, and Briony thinks that uncovering fantastic treasures will make her parents love her again.

And now we've used Briony as a pawn to thwart her parents' plans and throw them out of the kingdom, so she'll never see her family ever again.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 28, 2014

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I have never gotten the option to exile the rebels, just to ask for peace or for money. :stare:

(I thought you were going to do the other cruel Briony thing, but I suppose that takes more preparation.)

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

zonohedron posted:

I have never gotten the option to exile the rebels, just to ask for peace or for money. :stare:

(I thought you were going to do the other cruel Briony thing, but I suppose that takes more preparation.)

Don't worry, when she inevitably rebels, we'll send her to Shanjia as a way of displaying our power to the King of the Animes.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

You gotta feel bad for Briony, all she wanted was some attention from her parents and she instead gets used as a political pawn without her knowledge and she never gets to see her family again anyway. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Super Jay Mann posted:

You gotta feel bad for Briony, all she wanted was some attention from her parents and she instead gets used as a political pawn without her knowledge and she never gets to see her family again anyway. :smith:

On the other hand if you know all the poo poo you need to do you can totally go on an awesome adventure with her, which we'll probably seen shown off since it's a requirement for one of the things that's also on the list of things to do.

• Locked thread