Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thank you for the Let's Play, MegaZeroX! It's been great, and I really enjoyed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
In my estimation you did everything a Let's Play sets out to do. Getting burned out during the "bonus reel" isn't too bad, although I do hope someone else will undertake to post the remaining fun stuff (I'm particularly interested in Briony's adventures in the ruins).

Great work and thanks for the entertainment!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
This was a ton of fun. Thanks for taking over for some of the routes I couldn't figure out. Guess it's time to just look at the wiki for that Briony thing, because there's no way I would've gotten even as far as you did.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It was a nice time and I am grateful for your effort.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Mega, this LP was a ton of fun and it was enough for me to finally download Steam and to purchase and play it. Thanks!

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Is this going to be on the LPArchive? I guess its not technically a complete LP, but close enough. You showed off some nice deaths, alternate stuff, and managed to survive until the end.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I could show off the Old Forest, if I can do it more or less as highlights rather than going through all the events. :sparkles:

Edit: Also, thank you, MegaZeroX! The LP was great, and I learned a lot about the game by reading it (and by playing along with the thread). :golfclap:

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 17, 2014

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I am weird about keeping saves, so I probably could whip up in a few minutes a quick how-to on marrying a lady (as long as that lady is Brin because her and Briony are the only two I've seen and know how to accomplish).

EDIT: I've actually got 'er done, if it's okay with the OP to post.

DOUBLE EDIT: Actually screw it it's pretty short so I'll just post and edit it out if it's not welcome.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 17, 2014

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

As a gift from me to this thread, I bring you some content:

So, our goal here is to say to hell with the various men and end up with Brin. There are a few things that we need to do or not do for this to work out:

1) You might have to send Julianna away, as the option to dance with Brin will not exist unless you have Court Manners > 40 and Intrigue > 40 as of the dance if she’s present.

2) We need to deal with the dispute in Week 10 without offering to punish Brin. I like to just bluff them with Presence since 60 Presence is easy enough to make happen and we want Presence for other things anyway.

3) You need to dance with Brin. Either this will be ‘Dance with someone scandalous’ with Julianna not present or actively choosing her from the expanded list. You want to have Intrigue here anyway because Internal Affairs > 40 will let you know she might be kinda in to dancing with you.

4) You’ll receive flowers from Brin the next week. You want to Accept them.

5) Now just win the game. Lots of ways to do that.

6) When you get to the end, choose not to marry anyone after seeing that Brin made you an interesting proposal.

7) And there you go it’s just that easy.

Let’s look at some of the stuff. Let’s jump right to passing the check that gives us the full list, which in retrospect totally negated me kicking Julianna out.

As a Queen, few would dare comment about your choice of companions, but until you have provided an heir to the throne, there is great pressure on you to make an appropriate match. That doesn’t mean you have to give in.
Brin, the Duchess of Hellas, is an attractive and unmarried woman. What might people think, seeing the two of you together?
According to rumor, she is inclined in that direction. But what does she think of you?
The most important woman present, after yourself, is Arisse, Duchess of Lillah. She is married, a mother and grandmother many times over, but might be flattered by the acknowledgement of her status.
Or, if you truly wanted to set the court on its ear, you could demand your first dance with a mere servant. A maid - like Alice. The assembled nobles would be outraged.

So yeah let’s dance with Brin.

You feel deliciously wicked at the expression of shock on her face, but it soon fades into something more ambiguous. Her hand in yours is warm, and too late, you wonder if you’re playing with fire.
Dancing with a real partner feels quite different from dancing with your father. You knew him, knew his steps like a part of you. Now every move is a mystery.
Unfortunately, you lose track of which steps you’re supposed to do when, and trip over your own feet. Oops!

We don’t actually need to succeed at dancing, by the way. It’d be pretty tricky to actually do that.

I actually found a path that was better than the first time I’d done this while I was getting these screenshots and managed to get enough Sense Magic to Marvel Team Up with Evil Aunt Lucille, first time around I didn’t and ended up trying and failing to have her killed. Either way doesn’t change the content to do with this, though, it just changes our options for winning the game. So next week we get flowers.

The flowers are unusual - long spikes of red, thick with nectar and emitting a strong fragrance, nothing like the delicate blossoms in most vases.
Elodie: Who sent them?
Alice: The Duchess of Hellas, I believe.

We want to Accept them. With enough Court Manners (at least 90, which would definitely require you not to have Julianna there so you can skip the Intrigue) you can learn what accepting the flowers means. If you’ve got at least 50 Poisons, you also learn that eating the flowers would be a really bad idea so don’t do that.

Elodie: Put them on display. I think they look nice.

So if we’ve done these things, we will see this pop up during the roll of marriage options:

I’m not sure if that actually happens if you choose to marry Banion at this point but we don’t want to marry that jerk anyway, we want to pick No One, which will give us this epilogue:

We also get an achievement for Brin sending us flowers.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
LP has been saved, long live Feinne!

I'm really curious about the father now. It probably wasn't a random commoner and is most likely some other noble. Banion, maybe, judging by the proposal?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Or crazy Lumen magic. That's the first thing I thought when I saw that.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Elodie is the Virgin Mary

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Huh, never considered that a literal bastard could be considered an heir to any titles at all, let alone a throne. Question from the unlearned-about-monarchies, is that at all normal in real-life history?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ciaphas posted:

Huh, never considered that a literal bastard could be considered an heir to any titles at all, let alone a throne. Question from the unlearned-about-monarchies, is that at all normal in real-life history?

Bastards succeeded fairly often in history, though often through force rather than normal inheritance. William the Conqueror perhaps being the best well known one. In general, the historical succession order was:

1) Legitimate male children, from oldest to youngest

2) Male Bastards, oldest to youngest

3) Daughters, oldest to youngest

Besides that, Nova is failry progressive, having no gender bias for succession. It possible that bastards could be first to inherit, given that they are the oldest.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 17, 2014

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Keep in mind that any child Elodie had would definitely be hers, since she would have given birth to them, and Elodie is Queen. She also had no legitimate children, since she never married.

Happy Blue fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 17, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Ciaphas posted:

Some succeeded to thrones, but perhaps more normal royal practice (when you're not ignoring their existence completely) is to acknowledge them and give them a title you want held by a loyal man. Very useful if some woman is about to inherit a large chunk of territory and cause all sorts of medieval chaos: arrange a marriage, make your son happy, secure lands in service to the Crown, and avoid whatever might happen when an earldom or dukedom devolves on a woman. This results in some actually very powerful nobles being FitzRoy bastards ('son of the King'). In British history, we remember particularly Robert of Gloucester, primary supporter of Mathilda during the first Civil War, and Henry Fitzroy, who lots of people like to think was being groomed to become Henry VIII's successor if he couldn't get sons on his actual wives.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Happy Blue posted:

Keep in mind that any child Elodie had would definitely be hers, since she would have given birth to them, and Elodie is Queen. She also had no legitimate children, since she never married.

Yeah, when you're matrilinear like Nova bastards are actually not so much of a problem, because everyone got nine months of evidence that yes, the Queen did in fact have a kid and given her tendencies in that ending they're probably just happy enough that it happened at all and are fine with not worrying about the details.

If nobody else has done it by the time the thread is in danger of closing I do also have saves for Awesome Adventure Time With Briony hanging about. It was actually really tight to both do that and be set up to win the game later, you need a LOT of skills to not die horribly in the adventure.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 17, 2014

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Feinne posted:

If nobody else has done it by the time the thread is in danger of closing I do also have saves for Awesome Adventure Time With Briony hanging about. It was actually really tight to both do that and be set up to win the game later, you need a LOT of skills to not die horribly in the adventure.

That would be awesome.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So long as we get to the various payoffs for Evil Elodie I'm fine with whatever :colbert:

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

So long as we get to the various payoffs for Evil Elodie I'm fine with whatever :colbert:

I won't have a chance until the end of the month, but I can do the Evil Elodie montage.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'd love to see how two teenage girls won't get horribly murdered in a Dark Souls dungeon.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

So, from what I've gathered:

Feinne or Zonohedron will do the Old Forest event with Briony.

Bookworm will do the Evil Elodie stuff.

If you are one of the people mentioned above, or later want to show some other event in the game, message me on SA if you have Platinum, or email me at mfmegazerox@gmail.com and I will give you links to all of the character mugshots that you need, so you don't need to search through the thread or crop the images yourself.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Is this going to be on the LPArchive? I guess its not technically a complete LP, but close enough. You showed off some nice deaths, alternate stuff, and managed to survive until the end.

Yes, I will be submitting it to the archive once I close the thread.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 17, 2014

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014
Earlier, Elodie dealt with the Ixion conflict by executing Brin and later Banion. That's a pretty impressive death count. But we can do better.

At the Festival of the Good Lady...

At the end of the route, you help the priestesses turn over the earth for the new tree to be planted. Then the new life is blessed, and all the attendants join in song. The procession regroups to return to the castle.

As you walk, all of a sudden, a man in black leaps out of the crowd, heading straight for you... and he's holding a sword!

Thanks to your quick reflexes, you are able to leap out of the way of the assassin's blade.
Panic ripples through the crowd. In moments, everything will be chaos. Your guards may or may not be able to reach you in time to prevent your attacker's next strike.

You summon up all the magical power you possess in order to strike down your attacker.

Taking hold of your royal scepter, you summon up a beam of searing light to smash into your attacker, pinning him in his place before he can attack you again. There is a terrible noise, half scream and half sizzle.
The assassin is dead, his face burned beyond all recognition. The crowd is hushed, staring at you in shock and horror.
Then, timidly, someone applauds. Soon they are all cheering for your victory. But is it your imagination, or does that approval ring hollow?

Just before the ball...

All the nobles in the domain are here to see you - to see their queen.

(gulp!)

No one would dare attempt to harm you under this roof, but I don't doubt that your enemies are here, close, and watching.

He hands you a bit of paper containing a sequence of dots and squiggles.

This is the only clue we have so far about who might have sent that attacker, but clues can be misleading. It's safer to assume that everyone is plotting against you. Don't turn your back.

He leaves you alone.

You turn the piece of paper around and around, but the markings on it are completely meaningless.
There's no time to pursue suspicions now; you have a ball to attend. And more than one person there may want you dead.

Later that night...

If I might have your attention? I believe we should offer our compliments to our lovely hostess. Her respect for tradition and the rights of the nobility means that we can all sleep safe in our beds. Her respect for tradition and the rights of the nobility means that we can all sleep safe in our beds. Our mother entrusted the jewel of her lands to my sister Brin, a bequest which the princess holds in honor.

The blatant falseness of his words grates on your ears. He's challenging your honor in front of the entire assembly.

(I can't let this slide!)

Bold words from one who dabbles in assassination.

What?

The entire capital saw your agent try and fail to take my life. That was not honorable.

(I don't really know it was him, but it could have been. What matters is that it sounds good.)

I...

Silence!

For your crimes, you will be executed.

This is ridiculous! Surely you won't let her do this!

No one moves to his defense.

His titles will pass to the offspring of his brother Bennett. Guards, take him away.

After that, it seems that your remaining guests have little stomach for light entertainment.

Now that Elodie has accused someone of treason and executed him without a shred of proof, let's see what that message actually said.

He hands you a bit of paper containing a sequence of dots and squiggles.

This is the only clue we have so far about who might have sent that attacker, but clues can be misleading.

It's safer to assume that everyone is plotting against you. Don't turn your back.

He leaves you alone.

You puzzle over the scrap of paper, mentally translating symbols into letters. It will take time to completely crack the code, but you think you can see references to place-names that indicate the route of the assassin's journey.

He came from Maree.

There's no time to pursue suspicions now; you have a ball to attend. And more than one person there may want you dead.

Well, at least she executed the right person.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
So, what causes the assassin to appear during the Festival of the Good Lady? He didn't show up in previous playthroughs...

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014

Hedera Helix posted:

So, what causes the assassin to appear during the Festival of the Good Lady? He didn't show up in previous playthroughs...

You have to lead the parade after executing Brin.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
There's something just precious about Elodie using her gigantic ceremonial golden staff to bludgeon someone to death in the middle of a street, too.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
:aaa: I've played this game enough to get all the achievements and have never seen that assassination attempt before. It's really neat, but also frustrating, that there are so many possible events. At least it's good to see that Briony's letter wasn't the only ciphering check in the game.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Hedera Helix posted:

You can also cause Lucille to send an assassin if you use magic to awe the Ixionite ambassador. As with Banion's attempted revenge, you won't know it's Lucille, though, just which duchy he came from (Merva instead of Maree, in this case), which is problematic.

In either event, if you confront someone about the assassin, you can't confront Lucille about being a Lumen.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

There's something just precious about Elodie using her gigantic ceremonial golden staff to bludgeon someone to death in the middle of a street, too.

I wish it were bludgeoning, but nope, it's just magic fire.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

By the way, if you're wanting to go on Awesome Adventures with Briony it's for the best to start by getting your Sense Magic up enough to know Lucille is a Lumen and offer her a job, because otherwise she sends bandits to kill you on the way to the party and it'd be a massive bitch to survive the bandits while also having the skills to survive the Awesome Adventure.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Bloodly posted:

Magic laser, actually. Read the lesson description :3:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Bloodly posted:

You can bludgeon him to death with the scepter if you have high enough polearms. It also isn't shown just how hard this skill check series is to pass. Basically, You need reflexes to be at least 80 or flexibility to be at least 50 to pass the first part. You need reflexes to just be higher than 30 to get a partial success. With a partial success, Elodie is alive but hurt. Then you need wield magic to be greater than 60 in order to burn him alive. If Elodie is hurt, you need 100 wield magic to burn him alive. I don't remember the stats required in polearms for bludgeoning him with the scepter.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 29, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

MegaZeroX posted:

You can bludgeon him to death with the scepter if you have high enough polearms.

I take it the applause is considerably more enthusiastic in that case.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Scribbleykins posted:

I take it the applause is considerably more enthusiastic in that case.

Actually, the audience doesn't applaud at all. Or at least it is never mentioned.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Feinne posted:

By the way, if you're wanting to go on Awesome Adventures with Briony it's for the best to start by getting your Sense Magic up enough to know Lucille is a Lumen and offer her a job, because otherwise she sends bandits to kill you on the way to the party and it'd be a massive bitch to survive the bandits while also having the skills to survive the Awesome Adventure.

I didn't know that's how the bandit event worked so I managed to get the skills to do both. It did require Elodie to just shrug off an arrow, but it worked.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I didn't know that's how the bandit event worked so I managed to get the skills to do both. It did require Elodie to just shrug off an arrow, but it worked.

Yeah, doing that averts all the various ways Lucille will try and kill you during the game, no bandits and no poison chocolates as well as gives you a good solution to the invasion fleet, which is pretty important since you definitely won't be able to beat it straight up if you have jumped through the hoops for Awesome Adventures.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Feinne posted:

Yeah, doing that averts all the various ways Lucille will try and kill you during the game, no bandits and no poison chocolates as well as gives you a good solution to the invasion fleet, which is pretty important since you definitely won't be able to beat it straight up if you have jumped through the hoops for Awesome Adventures.

No, you definitely can beat the fleet and also go on Awesome Adventures; I have done it militarily, and I've beaten Togami via magic duel, so I assume it would also be possible to beat the fleet via :krakken: since you don't need Lucille for that.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

zonohedron posted:

No, you definitely can beat the fleet and also go on Awesome Adventures; I have done it militarily, and I've beaten Togami via magic duel, so I assume it would also be possible to beat the fleet via :krakken: since you don't need Lucille for that.

I assume he means do all that and get all the skills needed to not get arrow'd in the torso, since you need to reach the birthday party for Awesome Adventures in the first place.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

I assume he means do all that and get all the skills needed to not get arrow'd in the torso, since you need to reach the birthday party for Awesome Adventures in the first place.

Yeah what I'm saying is that recruiting Lucille and thus avoiding untimely bandit death on the way to the party also is a good start to having enough magic to blow up the fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
The thing about the forest adventure, though, is that you only actually need four skills to get on the path and survive the adventure, and two of those four skill checks require values lower than 50, which means you don't have to waste time training other skills in the same group to remove the cap. And since one of the two >50 checks is Herbs and the other Lore, it's not that out of the way to get the skills necessary to grit your teeth and bear it through the bandit attack. So if you know exactly what the checks are, it's perfectly possible to make it through the forest adventure alive and have some other useful skills -- for example, all the skills necessary to beat Togami in a magic duel, to (via roundabout means) add to the hella yuriness in the ending.

The main issue is that the adventure tanks your mood, so you need to be prepared for that.

• Locked thread