Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Suzaku as Zero is also Lelouch's way of one last jab at Suzaku. Just as Suzaku agrees to accept the ZR as Lelouch's payment for the SAZ Massacre, Lelouch takes making Suzaku be Zero, the identity Suzaku hates, as payment for Suzaku's serial betrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It also means suzaku has to live on, which is the opposite of what he wanted

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Kallen vs Suzaku in one of the better rivalries in mach animation I think. Two absurdly skilled pilots who are a hair apart and the only time one really has an advantage is when they have a superior machine. It is pretty rare to see that and especially with so much back and forth.

That does eventually change a bit when Kallen gets the bullshit powerful suit and Suzaku leverages his supernatural bullshit to get the edge on piloting just so he won’t die instantly.

The main cast dynamics are pretty fantastic overall though, Suzaku, Lelouch, Kallen and CC all have pretty phenomenal chemistry (well, except Suzaku with CC, but they had...2 minutes of screentime together?).

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

Namtab posted:

How lelouch treats nunnally is part of this, he wants to see her again but also probably doesn't want her to be too sad when he dies, so he publicly humiliates her. This doesn't work.

I've started to come around to the idea that the public humiliation was to overtly signal that she was not receiving any preferential treatment just because she's his little sister, as that could make her a target for anyone wanting to lash out at him by striking at someone he cares about.

Given Lelouch's meticulous nature, I can see him taking into account all the little details about his death *(ie: sharpness and diameter of the blade, location of the entry/exit wound, rate of blood loss, estimated time to remain mobile/conscious, etc.) that would allow for him to take that dramatic fall down the ramp and land within arm's reach of his sister so that he could deliver a wordless deathbed confessional. While Lelouch has demonstrated he doesn't have a problem casually lying to her, it's possible that he couldn't bear the thought of her forever hating him as a result of a lie.

*If the suicide was planned to this fine a degree, it would require superhuman finesse and precision on the part of Suzaku, but he's already superhuman so I don't have a hard time imagining it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lady Gagazula posted:

Given Lelouch's meticulous nature, I can see him taking into account all the little details about his death *(ie: sharpness and diameter of the blade, location of the entry/exit wound, rate of blood loss, estimated time to remain mobile/conscious, etc.) that would allow for him to take that dramatic fall down the ramp and land within arm's reach of his sister so that he could deliver a wordless deathbed confessional. While Lelouch has demonstrated he doesn't have a problem casually lying to her, it's possible that he couldn't bear the thought of her forever hating him as a result of a lie.

I think Lelouch was fine with her hating him forever, but he was being true to himself in that moment and doing the one last selfish thing he wanted to do before he died and see his sister one more time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I hard disagree, I think it's one of the worst and most boring. The SEITEN isn't really fighting anyone, it's just flying around and making whoosh noises and things blow up all around it. The only glimmers of cool stuff(her parrying the head horn, her radiation-popping Bradley) are stuff she did all the time in the older suits but had much better movement choreography and involved her actually having to connect with enemies instead of waving her arm and making a bunch of Gundam SEED explosions. In the SEITEN's defense, this problem also applies equally to the Albion, given that it wipes out most of an attack force by flapping its stupid energy wings at them.

The SEITEN's best and probably only really good fight is the final one against the Albion, and not coincidentally that fight involves the two participants mauling each other so badly that they lose all their dumb fancy tech and have to go back to season 1 style maneuvers and fisticuffs to resolve the issue.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing her finally get back into the action really adds to the hype, but like the shinkiro's mass laser it really only looks good on your first watchthrough. After that you start seeing the flaws.

Also it's hard to see if your not looking right at them but both the Lancelot Albion and the Guren SEITEN look quite a bit different than their predecessors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

That does eventually change a bit when Kallen gets the bullshit powerful suit and Suzaku leverages his supernatural bullshit to get the edge on piloting just so he won’t die instantly.

The main cast dynamics are pretty fantastic overall though, Suzaku, Lelouch, Kallen and CC all have pretty phenomenal chemistry (well, except Suzaku with CC, but they had...2 minutes of screentime together?).

I don't think either is particular something that really happens though.

Lancelot is a fuckin' powerful suit and keeps getting more powerful. The SEITEN scene is basically the one time she has an absolutely insane overwhelming power advantage over him and that's pretty critical to the plot because it means he has no choice but to use the nuke.

Likewise I never got the impression that the Live geass was actually supernatural boost. Suzaku is an insanely talented pilot who is held back by his own massive amount of trauma and problems and is actively willing to give up in situations he might otherwise survive. The Geass just prevents him from doing that and forces him to fight to his absolute limit no matter what. It's why Kallen had to be the one to stand against him because it was literally impossible for Suzaku to take a dive. It's all Suzaku but it's Suzaku pushed by a Geass to never actually give up.

The show is pretty good about building up their final battle which amounts to "Two equally skilled pilots in equally powerful suits fight a balls-out fight where neither can back down or give up." (Well Kallen technically could but she wouldn't.)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's never not going to be weird to me how Geass is essentially about anime Lord Byron.

Also when it gets away from him things tend to go south pretty fast, the only real exceptions out of all the spinoffs being Nunally and Renya, which are both by the same creator and essentially toku instead of real robot (although Nunally still has the robots). Oz DOES have the rather interesting character of Marybell, who's essentially Euphie but as a World Unification Under Britannia true believer (and ends up becoming a Lelouch loyalist because of this), but she's not actually the central character there and Oz is pretty dull otherwise. Akito is Akito, all flash but nothing to chew on. Suzaku just sucks.

To be fair, the rest of the spinoffs are pretty much just disposable like the Lelouch manga (just the show but no robots) or gag manga of varying quality, so maybe that's unfair. Still, I'm concerned about Z for that reason.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

It's never not going to be weird to me how Geass is essentially about anime Lord Byron.

This is my favorite part of Geass once you realize it's all an old fashioned drama, everything falls into place. Except the flying robits gently caress that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't even mean the drama part, he's a runaway foreign noble who's in love with his half sister and helping the native people stage an independence revolt.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry, I only took at as a refrence to Romantic drama's cause the only thing I know about Byron is that the Greeks love the dude

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My impression is that the live geass would have some level of supernatural augmentation to suzaku's ability to perceive and react to external threats. It also seems to compel him to eliminate the threat, as seen when hes forced to fire the nuke.

Basically its a supernatural reflex action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Sorry, I only took at as a refrence to Romantic drama's cause the only thing I know about Byron is that the Greeks love the dude

They love him because he came and fought for/drummed up support for the war of independence!