Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

they're gonna put lelouch in a gundam

That was midway through season 1

(I miss how relatively limited Knightmare Frames not named the Lancelot were at the start)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

That was midway through season 1

(I miss how relatively limited Knightmare Frames not named the Lancelot were at the start)

Yeah, the moment everything began to fly it sucked. :smith:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lancelot's ground-locked state early on was cool because it was still clearly a cut above the rest without going full on flight and hyper beams yet. Same deal with the Guren.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Lancelot's ground-locked state early on was cool because it was still clearly a cut above the rest without going full on flight and hyper beams yet. Same deal with the Guren.

It also forced them to emphasize how talented the pilots were because they were pulling off crazy maneuvers on ground and making use of their environment which contributed a lot to Kallen and Suzaku feeling like actually incredible pilots.

It's why their final battle in R2 is good because the first drat thing they do is rip each other's wings off.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

ImpAtom posted:

It also forced them to emphasize how talented the pilots were because they were pulling off crazy maneuvers on ground and making use of their environment which contributed a lot to Kallen and Suzaku feeling like actually incredible pilots.

That's fun because i have the complete opposite opinion of Suzaku at the beginning. He's only seen fighting in a better toy than everyone elses, so it's hard to distinguish what he's doing through his own skill and what he's doing because Lancelot is just better than everything. It's part of why Suzaku is insufferable in R1 for me. Everytime he shows up you know he's going to win (but at the same time this makes him the only effective foil to Lelouch). In R2 he gets to fight people on the same level.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 12, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Amaro is a good example of living only due to having a better toy. He just tanks machine gun fire to the face constantly.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Frionnel posted:

That's fun because i have the complete opposite opinion of Suzaku at the beginning. He's only seen fighting in a better toy than everyone elses, so it's hard to distinguish what he's doing through his own skill and what he's doing because Lancelot is just better than everything. It's part of why Suzaku is insufferable in R1 for me. Everytime he shows up you know he's going to win (but at the same time this makes him the only effective foil to Lelouch). In R2 he gets to fight people on the same level.

He only got to pilot Lancelot by showing how adept he was in the first place right? Plus in R2 Lelouch had accidentally given him superpowers that put him a cut above the rest again.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

He only got to pilot Lancelot by showing how adept he was in the first place right? Plus in R2 Lelouch had accidentally given him superpowers that put him a cut above the rest again.

He shows how adept he is during an off-screen test which considering the lore of Code Geass doesn't make much sense for him to have taken.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

He shows how adept he is during an off-screen test which considering the lore of Code Geass doesn't make much sense for him to have taken.

Wasn't it Lloyd specifically who tested him? Lloyd wouldn't give a poo poo about whether he should have done it or not.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Hunt11 posted:

He shows how adept he is during an off-screen test

Right. You're only told that he's a good pilot, by Lloyd and Cécile. Show, don't tell.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 13, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So going through and watching the series again, what are some big continuity changes that were made for the start of the new movie? I'm just at the point where Lelouch is betrayed (still cant believe anyone in the Black Knights would believe Schneizel)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aces High posted:

So going through and watching the series again, what are some big continuity changes that were made for the start of the new movie? I'm just at the point where Lelouch is betrayed (still cant believe anyone in the Black Knights would believe Schneizel)

In the compilation trilogy, which the sequel film follows, this is changed so that they instead try to question Lelouch directly instead of assuming he's guilty, but questioning is interrupted by first Schneizel, then Rolo.

Aside from that, the other big change is that since Mao is cut from the movies, so too is all of Shirley's stuff. Her dad doesn't die, she doesn't die, and instead of her shooting Viletta at the docks, V meets up with Diethard intending to have him broadcasts Lelouch's identity, but he shoots her and destroys her evidence instead (confirming the show's implication that he knew at least that Zero=Lelouch Lamperouge, if not Lamperouge=Vi Britannia). At one point in the third film Jeremiah appears in front of Shirley and almost literally tell her she just needs to drive out of movie town so she doesn't get hurt and upset his charges.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

On one hand that sucks that Shirley is basically taken out of the plot, but on the other hand I'm kind of okay with that because her death almost made me stop watching the series. I mean, I get that a large part of the things that happen to her are to demonstrate consequences to Lelouch but to me it was just more skeevy and gross things being done specifically to a female character

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean if that's the case how'd you get past Euphemia

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

watching through the series a second time, that is a very good question, because I was dreading that episode all through season 1. I think when I first watched the series (which was almost a decade ago) my initial reaction was just shock because Lelouch didn't want to use his Geass and then he lets his guard down and even he is utterly horrified at what he has done.

I just finished season 2 last night and I'm thinking Lelouch just went bonkers after killing his parents, especially when the final minutes of the last episode is a parade where Nunally is chained at his feet, and subsequently has her relive trauma of watching a family member be assassinated in front of her.

I guess I don't really have an answer to your question, I guess what happens with Euphemia does bother me but because of where it happens in the story I look at it as thinking this is where Lelouch learns a lesson about the danger of trying to control everyone so I begrudgingly accept it for the narrative. Then the second season comes along and that just goes out the window

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
90% sure that last one is because he wanted to see his sister one last time before he died.

If anything he snapped back to sanity once he realized she wasn’t actually dead but he’d already kicked things off so all aboard the crazy train it was, since at least that way he could keep Schneizel out of power.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
In actual news (or close enough), it seems there was a Japanese trademark filing for something called "Code Geass: Genesic Record" on June 1, 2020.

Naturally, this doesn't tell us if it's another anime, game, manga or...pachinko, I guess (the series already has several of those, btw, but none of them with any unique name, so I'd doubt that last one).

Aces High posted:

On one hand that sucks that Shirley is basically taken out of the plot, but on the other hand I'm kind of okay with that because her death almost made me stop watching the series. I mean, I get that a large part of the things that happen to her are to demonstrate consequences to Lelouch but to me it was just more skeevy and gross things being done specifically to a female character

It's a valid criticism. Pick any Tomino Gundam and you'll see one or more female characters ending up as victims to motivate the main character or someone else.

Which doesn't mean it shouldn't be criticized here. Only making note of its relative frequency in the genre. In any case, I do think it's nice they could tell a compressed version of the story where she doesn't need to suffer.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Just saw Resurrection. Rather good, I was impressed they managed to write an opposition that seemed credible for a moment without dumbing down the old cast.

Gotta hand it to Creayus, they kept their fire burning for more than a decade and got what they wanted in the end. Still...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arbite posted:

Just saw Resurrection. Rather good, I was impressed they managed to write an opposition that seemed credible for a moment without dumbing down the old cast.

Gotta hand it to Creayus, they kept their fire burning for more than a decade and got what they wanted in the end. Still...

The funny thing is you can replace Shirley with at least two other people and have it be just as accurate and likely

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am a Kallen partisan to the end but even I respect Creayus

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
:frogsiren: Code Geass Franchise Gets New Anime Series, Smartphone Game :frogsiren:

Anime News Network posted:

Sacred Seven's Yoshimitsu Ohashi directs Code Geass: Z of the Recapture anime

Yoshimitsu Ohashi (Amnesia, Galaxy Angel, Sacred Seven) is directing the new Gode Geass: Z of the Recapture (Dakkan no Zetto) anime series, and Noboru Kimura (Princess Principal: Crown Handler, Problem children are coming from another world, aren't they?) is writing the scripts. Takahiro Kimura is once again designing the characters based on the original character designs by CLAMP. Astrays is designing the Knightmare mecha this time. Sunrise, Ichiro Okouchi, and Goro Taniguchi are still credited with the original story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlcXFr8tcrw

Anime News Network posted:

Code Geass: Genesic Re:CODE is the smartphone game that assembles Lelouch, Akito, and other characters from the anime projects and allows players to experience various stories from throughout the franchise. Its gameplay has both role-playing game and simulation elements. It features brand-new, original story scenarios from leading writers and Sunrise, as well as numerous original exclusive illustrations. The staff bills the game as "the official sequel to the Code Geass franchise." :stonk:

The game's cast includes:

Shun Horie as Al, a boy with no memories

Yūki Takada as Gigi, a mysterious girl

Yumiri Hanamori as Archive, the librarian of the memory library

Sunrise, Okouchi, and Taniguchi are still credited with the original story, and Okouchi and Taniguchi are serving as executive supervisors. CLAMP is responsible for the original character designs. Kouhei Azano, Ao Jūmonji, Bisui Takahashi, and others are drafting each arc's story scenarios. JORO is developing the game, and the game features animation sequences from Sunrise.

The game is slated to launch in spring of 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUI7AZESZ-I

I'm really looking forward to watching the animated bits of the smartphone game spliced together on YouTube.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The reaffirmed canonicity of Renya is sending me

e: on the other hand, ew, the goddess from Akito, gross

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 6, 2020

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

The reaffirmed canonicity of Renya is sending me

e: on the other hand, ew, the goddess from Akito, gross

Yes, Renya is in the awkward position of being so far removed from anything (by literal centuries) that it might as well be an alternate universe, even if it technically isn't.

Well, I didn't hate her...but if the mobile game is going for some sort of dimension-hopping or time-hopping gimmick between all the existing spin-offs, then it makes sense to include her for lore (tm) reasons.

Then again, I am more interested in the anime...even though it's weird they're apparently so early in production that no actual release date or trailer was available for that one.

This is just a shot in the dark, but I wouldn't too be surprised if the "Z" in the upcoming anime stands for Zilkhstan or whatever the country from the movie was called.

Which could be nice as a shift of perspective, since the core cast from the original show is so overpowered by now. Same reason why you couldn't have Lelouch around all day either.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Akito Goddess annoys me just because I've always found the idea of the collective unconscious having a conscious entity on top of it to be dumb and setting breaking even by the standards of this loosely defined world, and that's not getting into the evil devil skull.

G.G. is our new immortal, and the memory archive is presumably the part of the World of C that Charles gives Lelouch a tour of, though again I dislike the addition of a personification being added there. If we're pulling from Renya and Akito, then I imagine we'll get more about that evil skull thing and POSSIBLY the elusive Master U.U.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rody One Half posted:

Akito Goddess annoys me just because I've always found the idea of the collective unconscious having a conscious entity on top of it to be dumb and setting breaking even by the standards of this loosely defined world, and that's not getting into the evil devil skull.

G.G. is our new immortal, and the memory archive is presumably the part of the World of C that Charles gives Lelouch a tour of, though again I dislike the addition of a personification being added there. If we're pulling from Renya and Akito, then I imagine we'll get more about that evil skull thing and POSSIBLY the elusive Master U.U.

:aaa:

I loving knew it!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That's a joke I don't understand

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

That's a joke I don't understand

U 2?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh.

I am a musical expert.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I never watched anything after S2 and I feel like I'm better off for it sometimes.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Argas posted:

I never watched anything after S2 and I feel like I'm better off for it sometimes.

Same. I kinda remember thinking some things could have been better but the way they wrapped it up was pretty good.

In full agreement with the people saying the mech fights were better before they got the ability to fly. I said it back in the day and I still believe it now. The designs were so cool with the rollerblades and grappling hooks and was sad to see all that go away.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Same. I kinda remember thinking some things could have been better but the way they wrapped it up was pretty good.

In full agreement with the people saying the mech fights were better before they got the ability to fly. I said it back in the day and I still believe it now. The designs were so cool with the rollerblades and grappling hooks and was sad to see all that go away.

The moment robots could fly the coolest part of Lelouch's plans (i.e. flipping the loving table every time) got thrown out the window and it sucked.

The Gawain is acceptable though, because it's the evil mastermind's flagship and therefore should be able to fly :thinking:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The part where the Guren gets upgraded in mid-air is great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

The part where the Guren gets upgraded in mid-air is great.

Yeah, the Guren getting upgraded is one of the better upgrade sequences I can remember.

Just a shame it then gets fuckin' shelved like two episodes afterwards so they can stick Kallen in a dress until a ninja saves her and gives her a less cool version.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hey the S.E.I.T.E.N. rules. It's the Albion that's the lame upgrade since it's still totally just the Lancelot with the energy wings stapled on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

Hey the S.E.I.T.E.N. rules. It's the Albion that's the lame upgrade since it's still totally just the Lancelot with the energy wings stapled on.

I've come to like the Seiten more over time but I really thought the Flight-Type had a better mix of feeling stronger without feeling like it walked in from another anime where it can throw radiation disks and turn into a glowing pink streak.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

And the show doesn't really pretend otherwise, the entire fight is basically Suzaku riding on his compulsion to live more than the tech in his suit

ImpAtom posted:

I've come to like the Seiten more over time but I really thought the Flight-Type had a better mix of feeling stronger without feeling like it walked in from another anime where it can throw radiation disks and turn into a glowing pink streak.

In fairness, Seiten probably had the best first rollout in the series

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the Guren getting upgraded is one of the better upgrade sequences I can remember.

It really only ends up fighting during the debut sequence and the early part of the China arc, but yeah...I am still fond of the upgrade scene.

Taniguchi liked it too, and was especially sorry about cutting that from the compilation movies.

quote:

—In R2, how the robot in an easy-to-understand robot anime is drawn, can be seen here and there.

Taniguchi: As for the trilogy, after worrying 24 hours a day and resolved “I have no choice but to do this as this is my duty”, the part that I removed completely while weeping is when Guren Kashoushiki comes out for the first time. This is a story from the time we’re making the TV series, but what I wanted to express with that scene is “how it’s like for a mecha that has never been able to fly in the sky before to finally be able to”. At first this is something that’s hard to grasp except by the animators and some staff. To fly a mecha in the sky feels like something natural, but perhaps it’s not that easy to do… That scene has a strong emotional attachment, and I’ve even had the music completely revised.

However in the movies that scene can’t be put in no matter how. So I sorted out “Anything made from personal desire is not needed”, and removed it. Gundam and Mazinger Z too, they either fly, or fundamentally change their battle tactic after mastering aerial combat. So to say that I’ve only been doing ground combat because that’s what I wanted to do, that’s also one of the reasons.

All the same, I think the Guren SEITEN and Lancelot Albion work really well in Super Robot Wars, plus the final battle of R2 still justifies their existence.

The problem is they couldn't bring that same level of choreography to most of the other aerial battles, probably due to the tight broadcast schedule and so on.

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 9, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kallen vs Suzaku in one of the better rivalries in mach animation I think. Two absurdly skilled pilots who are a hair apart and the only time one really has an advantage is when they have a superior machine. It is pretty rare to see that and especially with so much back and forth.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

One think I'm not especially fond of is the Shinkiro. Lelouch's hilarious keyboard piloting owns of course, but other than that it's just not as cool as the Gawain was, especially since it's not as huge and doesn't have the finger harkens to do sweet rakes with.

The Sutherland-Sieg is a similar step down from the Siegfriend proper but like, yeah I get not letting the heroes have the full-on Giga Fortress, and it DOES get us Jeremiah's awesome scene where the Sutherland loving divebombs the Mordred after the Sieg armor on it blows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Aces High posted:

I just finished season 2 last night and I'm thinking Lelouch just went bonkers after killing his parents, especially when the final minutes of the last episode is a parade where Nunally is chained at his feet, and subsequently has her relive trauma of watching a family member be assassinated in front of her.

I guess I don't really have an answer to your question, I guess what happens with Euphemia does bother me but because of where it happens in the story I look at it as thinking this is where Lelouch learns a lesson about the danger of trying to control everyone so I begrudgingly accept it for the narrative. Then the second season comes along and that just goes out the window

He didn't really go mad as such, the ending stuff is him trying to commit suicide in a way that benefits pretty much everyone in the world. He conquers the world and makes himself an obvious tyrant ruler so that when he dies people will rally around the new zero (who now becomes more of a symbol because his identity is secret again). Suzaku as Zero also gets to realise his ideal of reforming britannia from the inside. How lelouch treats nunnally is part of this, he wants to see her again but also probably doesn't want her to be too sad when he dies, so he publicly humiliates her. This doesn't work.