Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Mordaedil posted:

I kinda wish they did, just because it'd mean more Lelouch, more grandstanding and more Code Geass.

I get what you mean. I just think it's possible to do that without a third season.

Right now...Akito might not exactly be that, strictly speaking, but I think it's alright.

It's confirmed there will be some of that grandstanding in the last two OVAs though.

If they were going to make a sequel, chances are that would have already happened by now. Something has stopped them from doing that. I assume they are preparing something else for the 2016 anniversary, hopefully a movie retelling or another kind of project once Akito is done, but who knows.

Talvos posted:

What you want more Geass? No, you get Guilty Crown. mwahaha

That sure was disappointing. Not a Sunrise show, curiously enough.

wielder fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wasn't there supposed to be a Geass movie at some point? I seem to recall hearing something about that.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a Geass movie at some point? I seem to recall hearing something about that.

Yes, they announced that in early 2012 without giving any extra details. Link

I guess it's either going to happen come 2016 or not at all.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

are 10 year anniversaries a big deal in Japan? Most shows I know that have any kind of staying power really only do stuff through the fandom and never anything official from studios and creators. Outside of milestone episodes for long running shows I am wholly unfamiliar with "anniversary" shows in North American programming. Although I will assume that, much like in England, when shows are ordered in Japan they will be aired to completion despite low ratings or viewer turnout but again, I don't know. However if they were to do a movie or something do you think they would be able to find a way to make everything Charles and Marianne talk about NOT come off as a huge :psyduck: to the audience?

Going back to that stuff about Lelouch being dead, yes I can understand that that is part of growing up but I still don't think that Lelouch would fake his own death. I just don't think someone with his convictions would even consider that possibility, but hey I've only watched this series once so I'm not a huge expert.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Aces High posted:

Going back to that stuff about Lelouch being dead, yes I can understand that that is part of growing up but I still don't think that Lelouch would fake his own death. I just don't think someone with his convictions would even consider that possibility, but hey I've only watched this series once so I'm not a huge expert.

Nah, you are right. He basically told us in the first episode that this was a suicide mission. It's just the internet being silly.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I don't see the appeal of Code Geass, honestly. It's basically a dumb nonsense show like Valvrave (which I liked the first season of!) but it takes itself way more seriously which has the unfortunate effect of activating my brain and me trying to find a rational explanation for the things that happen onscreen. If I could just turn off my brain and not think about all the plot holes this would probably be something I enjoyed but sadly it hasn't been working so far. Maybe I need to drink more while watching this but this is probably only going to make it more confusing.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This is a slightly weird post, but upon listening to a certain podcast about Roman history, I was caught by how similar certain events in Code Geass are to the Massacre of Thessalonica.

For added "accuracy", as far as I understood the massacre happened when (uh, I'll spoiler this in case) the chariot races happened the next time in Thessalonica, where-upon the soldiers barricaded the doors to the hippodrome and proceeded to slaughter everyone inside.

The fact the emperor (as far as we know) tried to cancel the order but was too late adds to it, I think. I don't remember enough about the series to figure out if the balance of power shifting - partly due this event - to the bishop of Milan in addition to the emperor regretting his decision has any similarities to how the plot continued in Code Geass.

The events really feel inspired by the massacre, but I'm probably projecting / it's a coincidence.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

KonvexKonkav posted:

I don't see the appeal of Code Geass, honestly. It's basically a dumb nonsense show like Valvrave (which I liked the first season of!) but it takes itself way more seriously which has the unfortunate effect of activating my brain and me trying to find a rational explanation for the things that happen onscreen. If I could just turn off my brain and not think about all the plot holes this would probably be something I enjoyed but sadly it hasn't been working so far. Maybe I need to drink more while watching this but this is probably only going to make it more confusing.

Have you ever played D&D? Code Geass is essentially based entirely around the premise of a level 7 spell.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Aces High posted:

are 10 year anniversaries a big deal in Japan? Most shows I know that have any kind of staying power really only do stuff through the fandom and never anything official from studios and creators. Outside of milestone episodes for long running shows I am wholly unfamiliar with "anniversary" shows in North American programming. Although I will assume that, much like in England, when shows are ordered in Japan they will be aired to completion despite low ratings or viewer turnout but again, I don't know. However if they were to do a movie or something do you think they would be able to find a way to make everything Charles and Marianne talk about NOT come off as a huge :psyduck: to the audience?

Not for every property, but shows that are considered big hits are far more likely to get new projects during their anniversaries. Gundam would be one of the most high profile examples, but even other Sunrise robot shows like Armored Trooper Votoms have, for better or for worse, received new material within the context of their anniversary.

As for what a new movie would cover...you can certainly hope so, but that's hard to tell at this point.

KonvexKonkav posted:

I doubt we will ever completely agree about this, but let me explain where my perspective comes from. First of all, I wouldn't describe Code Geass as taking itself much more seriously than Valvrave to begin with. The series has enough silly comedy, in-jokes and even tongue-in-cheek parts during certain dramatic moments to reduce that impression, plus there are various quotes from the staff that can be used to counter this argument even more directly if it becomes necessary. One way or another, these folks were quite self-aware and I think it shows upon closer inspection. There's nothing wrong with laughing at certain parts, even the creators themselves did that.

If we must compare the series to Valvrave, then I'd say it simply has more direction and balance. I would argue that the appeal of the series can be summed up like this: there's an interesting core surrounded by over-the-top entertainment. When you get down to it, Code Geass is the story of Lelouch as well as his external and internal conflicts. There's a lot of genuinely interesting stuff to talk about on that level, especially if you're into themes over narrative, character over plot, or if you're an idealistic romantic at heart rather than a pragmatic realist. If you really don't find him to be an interesting character, or even an entertaining one, then that will clearly be a serious obstacle to your enjoyment.

What Code Geass does is play up the theatricality and operatic nature of everything, both for the purposes of drama and comedy, but I think that makes the series easier to approach if you can go along with it. A lot of elements, from the design work to the music to the storyboarding, are precisely highlighting the larger-than-life scale and inherently artificially staged flow of events. In more than one sense, the experience is closer to watching a musical or a stage play than, say, the average Mobile Suit Gundam television series. It's focusing on providing spectacle.

Rather than saying that rational explanations aren't possible, even though there is more of an emotional than rational appeal at work, I would ask: do you think the show wants to be seen as realistic or plausible? My answer would be that it does not. If you're the sort of person who automatically screams "plot hole" when Zero does something impossible or which wouldn't work in real life, then I'm afraid your brain will not be too happy. Lots of details will fall under that categorization and some might in fact technically be plot holes. But I wouldn't say the series lacks a method to its madness, even if the quality of its execution does have highs and lows.

tl,dr: Code Geass is certainly crazy and messy, but its craziness is entertaining and not the only worthwhile thing it is offering.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 12, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Rodyle posted:

Cornelia is the raddest racist who forgets about her racism around next to Jeremiah.

e: Realtalk though of the supposed "main characters" of R2 the worst is actually Gino, as much as I hate Suzaku.

Finally I find somebody who agrees.
Gino literally did nothing worthwhile.

Same could be said for like 10 of the Knights of the Round members.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gino is a tremendously terrible character. I had no idea he even had any fans.

I mean even ignoring everything else his goddamn voice actor is completely poo poo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Finally I find somebody who agrees.
Gino literally did nothing worthwhile.

Same could be said for like 10 of the Knights of the Round members.

The weird thing is that Gino, Anya, Xingke, and Rolo were all advertised as the additional main characters for R2, and while you can certainly say that Rolo and Anya are important, Xingke's debatable and Gino has nothing to do with ANYTHING. His character doesn't even make sense, he wants to fight for and protect the racist, class stratified Britannia when all his friends are Japanese or commoners.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I honestly forgot his voice.

R2 was just a mess, the pacing was awful, best girl got pushed to the sidelines, and China remains the worst arc of the series.

Xingke is only as relevant as the China arc is and the second that's over (not a moment too soon) he gets stuck in a storage closet along with the other scene dressing until he's needed to say something.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 12, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

wielder posted:

tl,dr: Code Geass is certainly crazy and messy, but its craziness is entertaining and not the only worthwhile thing it is offering.

Yes I would agree that Code Geass does a lot of things but taking itself too seriously? The 6th episode is centered around the entire school going on a cat hunt, for gently caress's sake. Also as someone who loves high drama I would say that Code Geass is more in line with a Romantic era or a Baroque era opera than a regular stage play or musical. Just the pure amount of high drama for drama's sake and the fact that everything is done to an extreme.

Also my memory isn't really doing much, who the gently caress was Gino again? Was he the douche knight with the braided hair?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Aces High posted:

Also my memory isn't really doing much, who the gently caress was Gino again? Was he the douche knight with the braided hair?

Yes, one who favors himself a Ladies man I believe.

The character type's been done way better in the past.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Aces High posted:

This dude: .

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Gino was just so useless and boring. Definitely the worst character introduced in R2 with a regular speaking part. I didn't hate his VA as Kazuma back in s-CRY-ed, but then again that character was meant to be angry most of the time and half of his lines were screaming and punching things.

In contrast, Xingke suffered from JRPG character recruitment syndrome, in that his usefulness and visibility exponentially drops once he joins the party, but before that point even he had more interesting stuff going on than Gino ever did.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Raxivace posted:

This dude: .

In my personal rating, Gino, Rivalz (Lelouch's school friend) and Nina are tied for the title of a character I wanted to blow up the most.
Milly came THIS close, too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rivalz was dope, don't be hatin' on him.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Milly was dope, don't be hatin' on her.

Nina really improved a lot once R2 came about, I mean she did some bad poo poo like designing the Nuke but honestly she ended up on Lelouch's side in the end and anybody on his side was a winner, which includes Kallen since she was super begrudging about fighting him because of her affections and whatnot.

I mean look who wasn't on Lelouch's side. Ohgi, Viletta, Gino, a whole circus troupe of bad characters. Toudou was really the only exception there.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Ohgi was the true mastermind, though. Check this out: the dude acknowledges a mysterious stranger as a leader of his group, thus ensuring that it is Zero who's gonna eat the bullet when things go south; makes him do all the dirty work and lead the group to victory; disposes of Zero once he supplies his comrades with enough evidence against him (all via third party, mind you, so his hands are clean) and becomes a prime minister or whatever at the end of the series. He's got it all sorted out.

Also, he gets to bang THIS:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'll never get the hate for China as an arc, unless you just hate Kallen losing to Xingke (Which did suck, especially since the Shen Hu is so boring). It's filled with amazing bits and centers are the weird theatrics/politics blend that makes Geass fun. The worst arc is everything from the Black Knight mutiny onward, which is good exactly as long as Lelouch is making some triumphant speech and then lapses back into poo poo again.

Hating Milly and Rivalz is a crime.

Viletta is the failed Jeremiah. He got over his racism and got a sweet plantation, a daughter, a ninja wife, and eternal life as the symbol of loyalty. She got over her racism and got hitched to a man with a really lovely pomp.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The only thing that did irk me about that arc was Kallen getting captured the way she did but whatever, the rest of it was pretty interesting since Lelouch thought he had everything planned for the eventual battle and then Xingke is just like "what, you think you can use OUR terrain against us :smugbert:"

I think the only thing I never really understood during that arc was the chess game against Schneizel, did him moving into check really intimidate Lelouch that much?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rodyle posted:

I'll never get the hate for China as an arc, unless you just hate Kallen losing to Xingke (Which did suck, especially since the Shen Hu is so boring). It's filled with amazing bits and centers are the weird theatrics/politics blend that makes Geass fun. The worst arc is everything from the Black Knight mutiny onward, which is good exactly as long as Lelouch is making some triumphant speech and then lapses back into poo poo again.

Hating Milly and Rivalz is a crime.

Viletta is the failed Jeremiah. He got over his racism and got a sweet plantation, a daughter, a ninja wife, and eternal life as the symbol of loyalty. She got over her racism and got hitched to a man with a really lovely pomp.

The China arc is basically worthless. Very little of value happens for the screentime that is given to it, none of the characters end up being very important, and Xingke basically comes across as Midorikawa's fanfiction insert so he can get into another SRW. You could remove a good chunk of the China arc and nothing of value would be lost.

And yes, it also has Kallen losing and getting captured in a crazy-forced way.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

I think the only thing I never really understood during that arc was the chess game against Schneizel, did him moving into check really intimidate Lelouch that much?

That scene made no sense to me. Lelouch could have just told him to take back the illegal move if he was that worried about some type of trap (don't ask me how moving into Check Mate can be part of a trap but maybe in the Code Geass universe there is some crazy gambit that can be pulled off in Chess when you concede the game).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

That's part of it, but there are more issues. Among other things, the Eunuchs are terrible villains, the pacing is off and it comes across as a detour that was needed to build a global army but does little or nothing else. I do like individual scenes like Lelouch trolling Xingke, the fabulous typing controls and Kaguya facing Suzaku, for instance, but it doesn't come together too well.

I understand feeling frustration at the betrayal, because the ones who spearheaded it were being too dumb and self-interested, but in retrospect that outcome was always coming. I'd script it differently, but keep the result. Too many trust issues were accumulating and they hadn't been properly cleared up, only waved away by Lelouch. The moment he gave up and didn't try to make a case in his defense, he became vulnerable and the game was over. I've grown to like the final arc more in time though. Both in a meta and an in-universe sense, it is Lelouch deciding to play the role he had been struggling with for a long time, taking his slightly twisted way of thinking to one of its possible extremes, as part of a self-destructive but appropriate conclusion. This is a man who had always been lying and manipulating his way to victory and speaking of "destruction" coming before "creation" from way back.

As for Viletta, I never cared about her. At least they poke fun at her marriage in Nunnally in Wonderland though.

Aces High posted:

Lelouch is too prideful and tends to flip out when people troll him. Like Mao and Suzaku.

The guy was messing around by randomly making an illegal move just to see how he'd react.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well that would explain why Schneizel's demeanour immediately changed when Lelouch backed down from the challenge. That and I'm glad I haven't completely forgotten how chess goes because when I was watching that episode I was like "wait a minute, I thought moving into check was an illegal move, why the gently caress isn't Lelouch or anyone else calling that out?"

It was an interesting moment of tension though

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The China arc is kind of emblematic of the whole second season for me. It's not terribly coherent and feels really tacked on while adding nothing new. There's nothing really new that we get about Lelouch or the black knights, so I wish that the second season had focused more on Suzaku's side instead, giving more of a view into his thoughts and motivations and more characterization of the other knights. Were they all true believers in Britannia (obviously not) or did others have motivations similar to Suzaku's? Also give them a chance to look competent rather than get chumped by the super lancelot later. The conclusion would not have to be changed at all, but they wouldn't have to shoe horn in unnecessary stuff like Rolo or the unfortunate things that happened to Viletta. Also there would have been more Lloyd and Cecille, and that would have been a good thing. And maybe Karen wouldn't have been locked up for 2/3 of the season.

Really I feel worse for Viletta than Karen in terms of how skeezy the show gets with her. She could have been an interesting character and sort of counterpart to Suzaku as an honorary Britannian questioning the system she's part of, but instead she just ends up existing primarily for, well, what you see above.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

The China arc is kind of emblematic of the whole second season for me. It's not terribly coherent and feels really tacked on while adding nothing new. There's nothing really new that we get about Lelouch or the black knights, so I wish that the second season had focused more on Suzaku's side instead, giving more of a view into his thoughts and motivations and more characterization of the other knights. Were they all true believers in Britannia (obviously not) or did others have motivations similar to Suzaku's? Also give them a chance to look competent rather than get chumped by the super lancelot later. The conclusion would not have to be changed at all, but they wouldn't have to shoe horn in unnecessary stuff like Rolo or the unfortunate things that happened to Viletta. Also there would have been more Lloyd and Cecille, and that would have been a good thing. And maybe Karen wouldn't have been locked up for 2/3 of the season.

Really I feel worse for Viletta than Karen in terms of how skeezy the show gets with her. She could have been an interesting character and sort of counterpart to Suzaku as an honorary Britannian questioning the system she's part of, but instead she just ends up existing primarily for, well, what you see above.

Kallen at least gets to have a whole shitload of awesome moments. Viletta just gets poo poo on from start to finish and ends up falling in love with a guy who is effectively a rapist.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

chumbler posted:

unnecessary stuff like Rolo
At least he's got a character arc, unlike three fourths of Code Geass cast.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The main problem with the China arc was that they didn't bother making it into a place, instead dicking around inside Ashford academy some more.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

PiedPiper posted:

At least he's got a character arc, unlike three fourths of Code Geass cast.

I'd say more like two thirds, counting both seasons.
About a third of them do have an arc, albeit often rather simple and/or hurried ones in the non-essential cases.

chumbler posted:

The China arc is kind of emblematic of the whole second season for me. It's not terribly coherent and feels really tacked on while adding nothing new. There's nothing really new that we get about Lelouch or the black knights, so I wish that the second season had focused more on Suzaku's side instead, giving more of a view into his thoughts and motivations and more characterization of the other knights. Were they all true believers in Britannia (obviously not) or did others have motivations similar to Suzaku's?.

That's a fair criticism. I'd say Suzaku himself does get plenty of focus, all things considered, but the people around him needed more. The first season was more balanced in that respect. I think one of the areas where the lesser known spin-offs help, such as the untranslated Oz manga and photo story, is showing there are more Britannians serving in the military who aren't necessarily terrible people (even if there are always a bunch of those too).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

chumbler posted:

unnecessary stuff like Rolo

Psychopathic Shinji was the best :colbert:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Most of my hate for China comes from the contrived "Kallen runs out of power so Shen Hu wins" thing. Its also a pretty big waste of that Guren design, as it's revealed in Episode 6 but gets carried off in episode 10 to sit in a hangar for 8 episodes. It gets some cool upgrades but it just felt sloppy.

The manga where they didn't have knightmare frames just sort of skims over china and is better for it (though its mediocre nonetheless).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I barely even remember that they went to china.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I always thought Schneizel's illegal move was a form of mock surrender to gauge how Lelouch would react to it.

ImpAtom posted:

Kallen at least gets to have a whole shitload of awesome moments. Viletta just gets poo poo on from start to finish and ends up falling in love with a guy who is effectively a rapist.

:stare: I know Ougi is a piece of poo poo but you might have to explain this part to me.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

well that would explain why Schneizel's demeanour immediately changed when Lelouch backed down from the challenge. That and I'm glad I haven't completely forgotten how chess goes because when I was watching that episode I was like "wait a minute, I thought moving into check was an illegal move, why the gently caress isn't Lelouch or anyone else calling that out?"

It was an interesting moment of tension though

That rule is by design used to end games that have an ending once the outcome is obvious. He even announces the amount of moves it would take to end the match before he does it. The ~deeper meaning~ he gleans from Lelouch's response is that he doesn't think a King should kill a King, rather an underling should do it. Also that he won't be led into moves dictated by Schneizel.

It was an interesting way of showing the character traits of Lelouch and Schneizel rather than having it spelled out by some other character for you.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

see now that makes a little more sense, thanks for everyone helping me figure out the "deeper meanings" of this story :v:

But seriously, I'm more just curious what other people gleaned from these moments in the story as well. Also I was reading through some stuff else where to discover Nina's last name was Einstein...yeah, guess we can't get more blatant than that huh

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

That scene made no sense to me. Lelouch could have just told him to take back the illegal move if he was that worried about some type of trap (don't ask me how moving into Check Mate can be part of a trap but maybe in the Code Geass universe there is some crazy gambit that can be pulled off in Chess when you concede the game).

Isn't that just to be really, really condescending to Lelouch? Like "aww, you care so much about chess that you want a serious match, well, here's your victory little Lelouch, take it, you deserve it" :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I think you're all reaching. The whole chess match was designed only with Rule of Cool in mind. The fact is, chess never caught on in Japan, so they don't really give a poo poo about these 'illegal moves' you're all talking about. And having characters play shogi or whatever wouldn't be thematically appropriate.