Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phrasing posted:

I liked both Marilyn Manson and Slipknot :getin:

Manson is OK for apparently being a totally chill cool dude in real life.

There's no excuse for Slipknot, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Double-posting is a terrible thing.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 09:05 on May 28, 2014

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

KozmoNaut posted:

Manson is OK for apparently being a totally chill cool dude in real life.

There's no excuse for Slipknot, though.

If you grow in rural areas where white teens listen to Disturbed, Slipknot,etc. before graduating to being redneck bros, you get a pass.

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Plastic Beach was my breaking point, I suppose. Demon Days and D-Sides are still great but the band certainly isn't as great as I thought they were.

The truly bad Gorillaz album is The Fall.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Toriori posted:

Sometimes I think this thread is more "things you used to like but don't now".

Pretty much. The terrible things you still like thread is even worse about it, though.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I always hated anime and nu-metal as a kid and seeing everyone in this thread posting "OH HOW WRONG WE WERE" makes me feel vindicated. :smug:

For content: Peanut Butter and Sugar Sandwiches

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

Gorillaz were legit good though?
I was having a "remember the good old days" catch up with some high school buddies and we ended up putting on a gorillaz discography playlist.
It blew our minds how good they still sounded. We kept trying to poke fun at them like we did with Linkin Park etc. but nope. They were genuinely a good band.

And it really killed our "lets laugh at our foolish teenage selves" vibe. We ended up listening to Demon Days in silence and when it was over somebody said

"gently caress. What do you listen to after you've listened to every single Gorillaz song?"

--
To contribute more than a personal story: Definitely christian hip hop. I was into KJ52 in a major way. He even wrote a song to Eminem calling him out on his worldly ways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjS27xfnvw

Lampsacus has a new favorite as of 14:02 on May 29, 2014

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

A quote is not an edit.
Six years on this forum and I finally now know why people type that.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Andre 3000, Snoop Dog, Lil' Jon, and bunch of other rappers did an english redub of a goofy Korean movie called Volcano High.

I loved Volcano High. I caught it on MTv late at night and then I ordered it off the internet and then I watched it probably fifty times.

Fortunately, I never got into redubbing my own videos with my friends BUT I WANTED TO SO BAD

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

God I don't even know where to begin.

Leetspeak/LOL SO RANDUM/Invader Zim/GIR/etc.: While I imagine many people on the internet went through this phase, the super embarrassing thing for me is that I'm older than many of the posters in this thread, so I wasn't doing this poo poo as a teenager, I was doing it as a sophomore in college. That's right, inbetween university classes I was posting on my Livejournal about how "Vincent Valentine is teh uber sm3x!!" :suicide:

Webcomics: I feel that a couple of these actually held up well over the years, but good god CAD, why was I into CAD :negative: I actually thought it was hilarious at the time. Someone please kill me.

Weird Horrid Fanfic: This was before the internet hit it big so fortunately this all stayed within my sperglord friends' circle at school but it was still pretty bad. I recall getting into The Lion King, Redwall, and Watership Down all at about the same time and while I dodged the furry community bullet due to this being the 90s and not the 00s, I still wrote far too many horrific Redwall/Ender's Game crossover stories. Later it turned into StarCraft Brood War Mary Sue teen girls being adopted by Protoss and raised as Dark Templars and poo poo. I just, I don't even know. :eng99:

Thoroughbred series: Saw someone else mention these several pages back so I'm throwing my hat in for this too. The funny thing was that I wasn't even really "in" to horses at the time but I started reading them for some reason and got hooked. To this day I watch horse racing I swear to god if California Chrome doesn't win the Belmont I'm going to lose it, thanks to this series I have been waiting for a Triple Crown winner for twenty years :shepicide:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm another former CAD fan. I understand why I found most of the things I used to like funny (I still have a very slapstick sense of humour) but not that.

loving Chef Brian was my favourite thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Walton Simons posted:

loving Chef Brian was my favourite thing.

Aw gently caress why'd you have to remind me of that thing I used to think was amazing :shepicide:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Time is fleeting! What say you? Bronk! I smell tube!

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
I used to love Thinmints then I ate too many in one sitting. Now whenever i see another sleeve I gag a bit

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

This stupid thread is causing me to dredge up memories I'd prefer forgotten.

Like the fact that I belonged to a yahoo group dedicated to Vampire: The Masquerade RP in the late 90s/early aughts. I had to write an excerpt for the woman in charge's approval before joining.

Where's the bleach? I need a drink

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

bone napoleon posted:

I used to love Thinmints then I ate too many in one sitting. Now whenever i see another sleeve I gag a bit

That was almond joys for me. It's been that way since Kindergarten, and I still haven't move past "these are gross."

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

That was almond joys for me. It's been that way since Kindergarten, and I still haven't move past "these are gross."

Whoppers for me. You eat one too many at your Very First Movie Theater Movie and you're done for life.

I used to read rotten.com gleefully when I was 12-13. Now that poo poo turns my stomach; I must have re-sensitized except for the terrible things on Wikipedia thread

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I have a soft spot in my calloused driftwood heart for the Ernest Christmas movie.

But then again my favorite Christmas movie is I'll Be Home for Christmas starring JTT so my taste in Christmas movies might just be really loving bad.

I actually thought (and still do) that the version of the Santa Claus legend they came up with for the Ernest movie was rather clever and cool. The title of "Santa Claus" being something that passes from person to person every hundred years or so, whenever a suitable kind bearded guy shows up and seems right for the job. Felt like it belonged in a more ambitious/"authoritative" sounding movie, like that one with Dudley Moore and John Lithgow.

I never saw The Santa Clause but it sounded like a bald ripoff to me.

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 16:53 on May 30, 2014

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
EvE Online

I played this for years, sunk a lot of hours into it.

I was able to fit my ship because Goons came up with the best/affordable fittings. They created programs to help you fit your ship.

I was able to to know how to make money in the game because Goons had an extensive database, mentoring programs, etc. to teach me how to play this game.

I was able to get into major fleet battles (and sometimes actually get a shot off) because Goons organised these fleets, set up communications for hundreds of players, and maintained them. They even helped me get new ships when I died (as long as the ship met specifications, which they clearly defined for you after much thought went into what ships/fittings are most effective)

I was able to help spend hours upon hours setting up POS (player owned stations) and fueling them because Goons set up programs, spreadsheets, schedules, reminders so that I, Average Joe, could be useful

I was able to play the game due to SOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DRAKKKKBAAAANNNNN

gently caress CCP

gently caress EVEONLINE

Goons can make any game playable, wish some of the companies put as much effort into their games. I couldn't imagine tackling this game without all the resources I had access to. Still though I can't believe I played it for so long.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

HAmbONE posted:

gently caress CCP

gently caress EVEONLINE

I have the attitude that EVE is something that I'm never going to play ever because it's terrible, but I like that it exists just for the crazy as hell stories that seem to bubble out of it every few months.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Promoted Pawn posted:

I have the attitude that EVE is something that I'm never going to play ever because it's terrible, but I like that it exists just for the crazy as hell stories that seem to bubble out of it every few months.

Yeah, I tried it and disliked it, but goons of all people being the dominant faction in space Wild West always entertains me.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
EDIT: Too E/N.

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Jun 29, 2014

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Stalins Moustache posted:

Nightwish. Oh, how I used to love that band back when I was 12 and 13. I thought the music was so incredibly deep and much better than what the "normals" listened to because of the use of symphony instruments and the dark lyrics.

I tried listening to their albums again some days back, and at some songs I just couldn't stop laughing. Sure, I'll admit that some of the songs are okay(Amaranth is still a pretty cute song), but most of them are just hilariously bad. The songwriter looks and writes as a hopelessly in love MRA goon. I mean, look at this:

"Running for her life
The dark rain from her eyes still falls
Breathtaking butterfly
Chose a dark day to live

Save one breath for me!

A loner longing for
The cadence of her last breath."

At the last album they released, I realized how bad they actually are. They often include album epics with songs lasting over 10 minutes, and the last album epic they did had about 5 minutes of horrible poetry with comedy gold quotes such as this:
"An old man gets naked and kisses a model-doll in his attic
It's half-light and he's in tears.
When he finally comes his eyes are cascading."

"An obese girl enters an elevator with me.
All dressed up fancy, a green butterfly on her neck.
Terribly sweeet perfume deafens me.
She's going to dinner alone.
That makes her even more beautiful."

Oh god that's laughable, I only know like a handful of their songs now I'm glad I never really got deep into that catalouge.

Most of the songs I do like by them are covers of songs by other bands with far better writers.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I will shamelessly still belt out lyrics from a lot of Nightwish songs from when Tarja or Anette were singing, no interest in the new stuff.
I do love metal, and I am not ashamed of being a huge Dimmu fan but one of my favourite lyrics ever is from Chess With The Abyss and it goes

SALVATION!
wish we'd never met
SALVATION!
And rather gone our separate ways

It's just so darned polite. I thinks big one for my is System of a Down because I got into them initially by pretending I liked them to impress a guy in high school, then actually did like them. Their really political songs are so irritating, and then when the guitarist starting taking over the music just got worse and worse. When I watched a video with the playing live I couldn't handle how awful Serj was.

Lol just realized I mentioned SoaD in a previous post. So I guess another could be the abhorrent animus I loved, like, I dunno, Gravitation. Ugh.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I was into Neopets and Maple Story back in the day, but not actually for very long. The rest of my family was more into them than I was, although I was probably more effective at playing Neopets than my family; I played for less time, but knowing what I wanted and how to get it meant that I scored a better profit than any of them, and by the time I quit I had access to the Lab Ray (a fancy-as-poo poo mechanic where, once a day, you could shoot your pet and they'd get random stat changes, species changes, color changes or whatever). My last month or so was probably spent logging on, using the Lab Ray and logging off again.

I also used to watch That Guy with the Glasses stuff for a good few years. Primarily it was the Nostalgia Critic, Nostalgia Chick and Linkara, although if I knew the source material I'd watch someone else. I could kind of feel a sunk cost fallacy at work with this one, especially with Linkara, where I knew what I was watching was poo poo but I'd been there so long I couldn't really stop. Nostalgia Chick (and arguably the Critic, but probably less so) introduced me to proper, reasoned critique of media, so I have to give points for that, and I watch Todd in the Shadows now because he actually does give intelligent reviews of pop music, but I don't regret dropping off of that bandwagon for a second.

I've read my share of lovely webcomics, especially sprite comics. I guess sprite comics are a result of people making do with what they can do to tell the story/jokes they want to tell, but the issue there is that the people who refuse to even try to learn to draw were pretty often just terrible at it. I tried to read one of the old staples last year, Bob and George, and for the most part it just doesn't hold up at all, it's kind of shameful. I'm thankful that the sprite comic I enjoyed the most has vanished from the internet, because that means I can remember Sakana Yama as a kind of fun attempt at random humor before the internet did that to death, instead of the utter tripe I know it probably was.

And time to hit up something that isn't universally considered poo poo, Australian rock, especially from the 80s. This was almost a peer pressure thing: If you're growing up in Australia, you had better learn to enjoy the likes of INXS, AC/DC and Jimmy Barnes (bonus entry: Pink, who is neither Australian nor 80s, but produces music so identical to it that she counts to us anyway), because you're gonna be hearing them a lot. I tried to develop a taste for it as a defense mechanismm, but eventually the fuckzillionth identical, overly simplistic AC/DC song just broke me. I actually feel a bit bad for INXS when I say this, because I own the full collection of their singles and most of them are decent, but there's a big chunk of indistinguishable crap, and whenever they play on the radio it's either from that block or it's Never Tear Us Apart.

EDIT: I own Switch, which was the album INXS put out with a frontman picked from a reality talent show. It's not a fantastic album, and I'm pretty sure it's not well-received by INXS fans, but god damnit I'd prefer to listen to it than most Australian rock.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Jun 4, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was a big Heinlein fan in high-school. Listed him as one of my favorite authors, in fact. Oddly enough, I think the rest of that list still holds up - the Strugatsky brothers are excellent, Bradbury's classics are still paragons of the genre, London is a bit of an rear end in a top hat but it doesn't reflect in most of his work, etc.

But I got my hands on a major compilation of his writings about a month ago, and... yeah. The "Future History" stuff - speculation about early space exploration - is still fairly interesting and inoffensive, mind. The rest of it, though...

It's not even the weird sexual poo poo - I thought that was disturbing even back in the day. It's pretty much everything else. Race, gender, homespun wisdom, American exceptionalism. Rabid, foaming at the mouth hatred of everything Russian. Tireless, ceaseless agitation in favor of starting WWIII right goddamn now(!). Just a lot of really unpleasant bullshit. Ugh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was this webcomic called PowerPuff Girls Doujinshi I used to think was really cool. No doubt many of you have heard of it. I discovered it when I was about 13 or 14, and I thought, "Awesome! All my favourite cartoon characters from when I was younger! And they're all drawn manga-style! And they're all being badass!"

Then it went on hiatus, and I forgot about. It came back a few years later, and 17-year old me decided to check it out. :stare:

Then I found out a bit about the guy who writes and draws it. :stare: :stare:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Explain instead of vaguely hinting.

Not all of us were into lovely webcomics, or have any idea who drew some random Powerpuff Girls knockoff manga.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

Explain instead of vaguely hinting.

Not all of us were into lovely webcomics, or have any idea who drew some random Powerpuff Girls knockoff manga.

Here's an overview, which I should have included in my previous post, sorry.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Metal Loaf posted:

Here's an overview, which I should have included in my previous post, sorry.

I didn't click the link but it's Bleedman, isn't it? I never read his work but I read his Encyclopedia Dramatica article. Creepy rear end weirdo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Action Tortoise posted:

I didn't click the link but it's Bleedman, isn't it? I never read his work but I read his Encyclopedia Dramatica article. Creepy rear end weirdo.

It is indeed, and indeed he is.

Edit: One other thing I used to be into in my mid-teens was Harry Turtledove's "Timeline-191" alternate history series, which tells the story of a world where the Confederacy won the American Civil War. The first book is okay, but it's pretty poor on the whole (though there are worse "alternate Civil War" stories which have managed to get published professionally).

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jun 7, 2014

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Cleretic posted:

That Guy with the Glasses

On that note: "The Amazing Atheist". I guess this guy's famous for being a smug atheist on YouTube but I only heard about him when he started posting movie reviews to TGWTG.
It would be a stretch to say it's a terrible thing I used to "love" but I remember at the time everyone in the old GBS thread was saying how he was the worst person ever and I just thought "What's the big deal? He doesn't seem so bad, do I just have low standards for a guy ranting into a webcam about Star Wars?"
There's probably a bunch of other terrible crap that I don't know about, but the moment he lost me was when he responded to a skeptical blogger talking about feminism with a rambling Facebook post blaming her for the problem and calling her a slut and :stare:
Okay, I take it back, the goons were right all along. This guy sucks.

On the opposite side of the spectrum: Doug TenNapel. I liked Earthworm Jim when it came out and The Neverhood used to be my favorite game, but it's hard to enjoy knowing the guy who made it is a raging homophobe who thinks the world is 6000 years old.

I also remember liking the show Drawn Together when it first came out, but I have a feeling if I were to watch it now I'd hate it.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

Komojo posted:

On the opposite side of the spectrum: Doug TenNapel. I liked Earthworm Jim when it came out and The Neverhood used to be my favorite game, but it's hard to enjoy knowing the guy who made it is a raging homophobe who thinks the world is 6000 years old.

gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Komojo posted:

I also remember liking the show Drawn Together when it first came out, but I have a feeling if I were to watch it now I'd hate it.

It's not terrible, it's just got so much premise bound up in shock humor that everyone feels compelled to claim to be over it and that it sucks. It actually holds up better than I thought it would.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Elfquest.

Also Led Zeppelin. Not that Led Zeppelin is bad per se, but I used to listen to Robert Plants lyrics and think drat this is really good. I had Zeppelin patches all over my jeans jacket.

Actually all the rock and metal I used to listen to is now considerably more terrible than I remember it being. Except for Motörhead. They're the only band that I bought patches and t-shirts of that 20 years later I think "Yeah I wish I'd gotten a tattoo of that band when I was young, because they're cool."

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Nthing Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, unfortunately it took me until I was about 22 to stop reading them. By that point I had been reading "good" books for almost 10 years and knew they were pretty terrible, but I had been reading them since I was a kid and it was a hard habit to break. I don't really see anything wrong with people reading them today, but none of them are in any way thought provoking or rewarding, just easy to consume entertainment.

I thankfully missed the whole anime thing except for Hayao Miyazaki's work, and only really watched that when I was a young kid. Around 6 I think, a friend of the family introduced me to My Neighbor Totoro and I ended up watching a bunch, even the freaky poo poo like Nausicaa. I think I stopped around the time Mononoke came out. Then I watched Dragon Ball Z in juniour high, but I never really sperged about it, and IIRC it got so tedious that I never finished it. Oh another episode of someone "powering up" (screaming), GREAT!

I also liked rock in the late 90's/early 2000's, most of it was poo poo but I still like Tool/A Perfect Circle and Puscifer :colbert:.

Haerc has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Jun 8, 2014

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Another one were a nurse was a schizo and would replace living babies with dead ones, and kept all the live ones out in some desert house. And can't forget the one where a janitor at a hospital 'rescued' the remains of abortions and somehow raised them up as undead babies. Or the one about a 30 foot python who ate people in some country hospital about one every two or three days.

This is from a while back but what are you talking about these sound awesome :black101:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I loved the hell out of that Akuma The Hedgehog sprite comic as a kid and it baffles me too that it's still around when I thought it'd be abandoned by now. That and Mario fanfic websites, I ate all that stuff up.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jun 8, 2014

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

WickedHate posted:

I loved the hell out of that Akuma The Hedgehog sprite comic as a kid and it baffles me too that it's still around when I thought it'd be abandoned by now. That and Mario fanfic websites, I ate all that stuff up.

I read 8-Bit Theater and Bob and George back in the day, and I'm really afraid to go back to them and see how lovely they really are.

Webcomics in general, really. It seemed like starting around 2000-ish there were a handful of comics like Framed! and Sluggy Freelance that were doing some interesting, if flawed, experimentation with the medium, and I remember thinking that it would only get better from there. Boy, was I wrong.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
I just remembered Goosebumps books.

One, which was about a girl who was ACTUALLY A GHOST but didn't know until the end, was so lovely that even 9-year-old me realized that it was terrible, and I quit reading the books all together. The book had no plot. There was a boy who she thought was a ghost, but he obviously wasn't. Sometimes the girl would be able to touch things, and sometimes she wouldn't. People saw her and interacted with her, except when they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I read 8-Bit Theater and Bob and George back in the day, and I'm really afraid to go back to them and see how lovely they really are.

Bob and George is garbage, but 8-Bit Theater is still good, albeit really bad at pacing.

• Locked thread