Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
3 Words.

gently caress THAT BITCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zetta_Slow posted:

Ah, knew the camera was on the whole time. Honestly wish Ueno wasn't being such a hard obstacle to overcome, but really where is the fun in a nice and easy story? I seriously hate Ueno now though, and I really don't want Ishida talking to Shimada & Hirose again, I've got a feeling that they are just as toxic as Ueno.

Can't wait for next weeks.

Ishida originally blamed Shouko for his predicament, but realized it was his fault and how lovely he was and now wants to make amends.

Ueno & co. still blame Shouko for why they were lovely to Ishida. They're terrible people.

Even fat shakey guy whos name I forget is weirdly toxic to people. Hes a strange character.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

KoB posted:

Ishida originally blamed Shouko for his predicament, but realized it was his fault and how lovely he was and now wants to make amends.

Ueno & co. still blame Shouko for why they were lovely to Ishida. They're terrible people.

Even fat shakey guy whos name I forget is weirdly toxic to people. Hes a strange character.

So far we only know that Ueno still blames Shouko. Kawai's kind of a wild card.

And Nagatsuka's toxic because he's super-clingy and super-awkward and most people are going to get real tired of that real fast.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And to thought than I was seriously considering Ueno like a legitimate Love Interest for Shouya when we met her a few months ago. Is amazing how the author made Ueno cross the Moral Event Horizon in such way than there's no coming back for her and yet, the logic she's using is pretty common and I could see a lot of people I know pulling that kind of poo poo :smith:

The fact that the reasoning Ueno uses is something I've seen other people use to justify their lovely behavior is just eugh. It makes it all the more horrible

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Goddamn, I try to be defense attorney for characters like Ueno, but if someone submitted that video tape as evidence, I'd just throw my hands up and walk out of the court. Ueno, you are guilty as charged for being a first-rate oval office; I hope you gain some perspective eventually and move out of that phase. Seriously, at first I thought that maybe she had some good points about life and friendship that were being clouded and misinterpreted by Ishida's paranoia/depression and Ueno's generally rude disposition, especially after we saw how she became friends with Sahara, but...ugh.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that Ueno is one of the best 'villains' we've seen in a long time due to how REAL she is. Can't wait to see what happens.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FutureCop posted:

Goddamn, I try to be defense attorney for characters like Ueno, but if someone submitted that video tape as evidence, I'd just throw my hands up and walk out of the court. Ueno, you are guilty as charged for being a first-rate oval office; I hope you gain some perspective eventually and move out of that phase. Seriously, at first I thought that maybe she had some good points about life and friendship that were being clouded and misinterpreted by Ishida's paranoia/depression and Ueno's generally rude disposition, especially after we saw how she became friends with Sahara, but...ugh.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that Ueno is one of the best 'villains' we've seen in a long time due to how REAL she is. Can't wait to see what happens.

The saddest thing is than unlike her treatment of Nagatsuka, she really believes than Shouko's the one in the wrong here and isn't doing it by malice. :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well poo poo, Ueno's going into my shitlist now. Bitch

Poor Shouko, I want hug her and tell her than everything will be alright so badly :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And to thought than I was seriously considering Ueno like a legitimate Love Interest for Shouya when we met her a few months ago. Is amazing how the author made Ueno cross the Moral Event Horizon in such way than there's no coming back for her and yet, the logic she's using is pretty common and I could see a lot of people I know pulling that kind of poo poo :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The saddest thing is than unlike her treatment of Nagatsuka, she really believes than Shouko's the one in the wrong here and isn't doing it by malice. :smith:

I'd have pointed this out in PM's if you had them, but, er-- you know that it's supposed to be "that" not "than", right? My apologies in advance if you're not a native English speaker, though!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrSunshine posted:

I'd have pointed this out in PM's if you had them, but, er-- you know that it's supposed to be "that" not "than", right? My apologies in advance if you're not a native English speaker, though!

Well poo poo, so much for my english classes. Yeah, I'm not a native english speaker so glaring mistakes like those happen sometimes. I'll be more careful on the future, thanks for the heads up!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I pretty much expect the opening to next week's chapter being Shouya slapping Ueno. I'm loving the nose-dive into darkness again.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well poo poo, so much for my english classes. Yeah, I'm not a native english speaker so glaring mistakes like those happen sometimes. I'll be more careful on the future, thanks for the heads up!

in the future.

Also I think you guys are overreacting. Didn't Ueno slap Shouko because she was a pile of self pity? Maybe next chapter she will tell Shouko to stop blaming all her problems on her deafness.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

nerdz posted:

in the future.

Also I think you guys are overreacting. Didn't Ueno slap Shouko because she was a pile of self pity? Maybe next chapter she will tell Shouko to stop blaming all her problems on her deafness.

No, the bit people are upset about is Ueno implying they were both equally at fault for what happened when they were younger. She implies that is Shouko hadn't been so visibly different and encouraged teasing then Ueno wouldn't have joined in on bullying Ishida and the everything would be different. She's laying her own actions of ostracizing Ishida on Shouko's shoulders. I expect you're more or less right about why Ueno slapped Shouko, but it doesn't change the fact that she hates someone for being different in a way they can't control which provoked her to do lovely things.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

nerdz posted:

in the future.

For me, it's not so much the slapping of Shouko as much as it was the, "I hate you, let's mutually hate each other!" and "I don't think I'm wrong for making GBS threads on you back then so I don't have to own up to my lovely behavior then and now."

Whatever the exact reason for slapping, how Ueno presented herself to Shouko is downright awful toxic behavior.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nerdz posted:

in the future.

Her Slapping Shouko is one thing (which she is still in the wrong for. That's no justification for assault), it's her going "Yep, I was always in the right to Bully you so gently caress you. But hey, let's just be hateful at each other and leave you with all the emotional baggage whilst I live my life guilt free, OK?" (Paraphrased) that pisses me off to no end.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 27, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

It's another way in how she's kind of a dark mirror of Shouya. She's trying to fix the past/get others to reconcile and make up and so far all of them (Sahara, Shouya, Shouko, thinking that Shimada and Shouya meeting again will mean they're friends) are half-assed and insincere. She thinks you just say "let's move on" and that's that as opposed to Shouya whose attempts to fix the past are way more genuine and its obvious that things eat at him.

Which, again, comes down to one party putting all of the blame on themselves while the other puts all of the blame on everyone else.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Yuzuru's camera has so far proven to be one of the best supporting characters.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Haha, y'all sure do love extreme reactions. Sure she's being mean as all hell, but it's pretty understandable. Ueno (like everyone in this freaking comic) was pretty traumatized by her childhood circle of friends becoming completely fractured. It's unfortunate, but frankly completely realistic that a teenage girl will hold the person different enough to cause the fracture personally responsible.

Honestly, I totally get her thought process. Ueno ruined Shouko's childhood, Shouko ruined hers. That's not something they're gonna forgive each other for, so they might as well have their grudges out in the open.

Immediately going for the "That loving bitch I hate her so much" reaction is, dare I say, along the same line as the thought process above.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 3, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That's just victim blaming really. A bully is blaming the bullied for fracturing their group? That's just shifting the blame. Yeah she's a teenager and teenager are dumb but still it's still a hosed up thought process

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly, I totally get her thought process. Ueno ruined Shouko's childhood, Shouko ruined hers. That's not something they're gonna forgive each other for, so they might as well have their grudges out in the open.

Yeah, Shouko really ruined Ueno's childhood by forcing Ueno to first bully Shouko and then bully Ishida for years after Shouko fled the school. I don't know how Shouko could have been so cruel.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Haha, y'all sure do love extreme reactions. Sure she's being mean as all hell, but it's pretty understandable. Ueno (like everyone in this freaking comic) was pretty traumatized by her childhood circle of friends becoming completely fractured. It's unfortunate, but frankly completely realistic that a teenage girl will hold the person different enough to cause the fracture personally responsible.

Immediately going for the "That loving bitch I hate her so much" reaction is, dare I say, along the same line as the thought process above.
Hahaha, you're such a piece of poo poo. No, Ueno has an extremely toxic attitude and clear sociopathic and manipulative issues, she's not blameless in this at all. Even implying that Shouko is to blame in any way for everything that happened just for being deaf and Ueno being unable to tolerate her existence, instead bullying her and ostracizing her and others, makes you look like a real victim-blaming shithead, dude. Shouko's existence is such a burden, better make her life a living hell and make sure she knows how utterly worthless and horrible her presence is because she's deaf!

Ueno is a really horrible person as it stands in the series. That's not to say she's unable to fix her incredibly terrible attitude down the line, like Shouya did. But right now she's clearly not grown up very much if she's actually pulling this poo poo with Shouko. Shouko probably said "I hate myself" because of the constant bullying making it seem to her that she's the one with the problem, not other people being super intolerant. This happens a lot to people with disabilities, surprisingly enough!

Like she literally pulled Shouko into a private space where she couldn't escape to try and make her accept her existence causes suffering and that she is a hated creature. It was unbelievably cruel of her. And then to try and shake hands with "let's agree to mutually hate each other", wow. She's able to hide her horrible other side really well, but when it comes out(how about that Nagatsuka flip-out? Going from calm and composed to a frothing, hateful lunatic in seconds).

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 3, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not saying Ueno isn't wonderfully awful but guys lets stop getting in a hate jerk about a fictional teenage girl.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ueno is a great character, as evidenced by all the strong reactions in here. I find reading her dialogue extremely uncomfortable.

I think her attitude is pretty much unforgivable, but I understand it too well. So many people prefer to blame others for their own bad behaviour rather than acknowledge their own culpability. It's easier. My friends and I justified picking on kids at school because 'they're so annoying', 'the way he acts, he's asking for it'. It's more comfortable to maintain a bitchy teenage clique if your actions are a reaction to an external factor, like someone being fat, or poo poo at football, or a swot, or different in 'bad' way. I'd like to say I'm glad that I never did anything like what Ueno and co did to Shouko, but whenever I think back to how I acted as a teenager, I feel a cold coil of guilt and anger in my gut. Back then the anger would've been directed at the victims for causing me to feel that guilt, like Ueno, now it's directed at my past self.

I blasted through this at the weekend and I wish I'd just waited until the manga is finished because the interval between chapters is going to be unbearable.

Captain Invictus posted:

She's able to hide her horrible other side really well, but when it comes out...
Bullies are great at this. The number of times I got away with murder because teachers didn't expect me to be a bully or I was able to skew the story is ridiculous.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
KnK is weekly. Imagine waiting a month for it like fuckin' I'm In Mari, or Flowers of Evil, which move at positively glacial paces.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Not saying Ueno isn't wonderfully awful but guys lets stop getting in a hate jerk about a fictional teenage girl.
Yes, explaining to someone defending her actions, which while understandable in a "this is a thing that actually exists and happens sadly" is really not something that should be stood up for is definitely "hatejerking".

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 3, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hatejerk? What on earth are you even on about? And just because a character and an action is fictional doesn't mean it's any less despicable really and pointing out her actions are terrible to someone defending them is not a hatejerk.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, that wasn't directed at Invictus as much as the last page of posts. A big flaming stink's post was weird and stupid and implies that Shouko did something wrong (???) but lets not use that as an excuse to list of all the reasons we have a personal grudge against a made up bully. Whatever goals the mangaka had for her character they probably weren't "get a bunch of goons seriously upset at her existence".

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And like come on, she's not even the least sympathetic character in the story. That honor goes to Shouya's old bully buddies.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

And like come on, she's not even the least sympathetic character in the story. That honor goes to Shouya's old bully buddies.

Oh there's no denying that. Class Rep in particular. But the story right now is focusing on her and she's portrayed as a pretty controversial character with extremely questionable motives and reasoning which does provoke a reaction. I have a feeling the mangaka will put the focus on the different bullies as the manga goes on and the thread will react to them in time, but now it's Ueno and she's extremely unpleasant.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Well we haven't seen much with Shimada yet. We know he continued making sure nobody talked to Shouya in middle school but afterwards, who knows? He's obviously not out of the story yet. Hirose, in the earlier chapters, come off very much like a follower: as soon as Shimada stops doing their tests of courage Hirose immediately tells Shouya how he's wanted to say for a while that they need to stop so it'll be interesting when he comes in and how he feels about what happened.

Honestly the most despicable character in the series so far was the elementary school teacher not only because he turned a blind eye but because he actively joined in at points in laughing at Shouko and treating her as even more of a burden than the kids were.

Who's the one who abandoned who though? Ueno was the first person to throw Shouya under the bus and between then and now the only time she talked to him in the intervening years was one time in middle school to make fun of him (asking if he's still a virgin). Whatever "point" she may have, she's not on any sort of moral high ground to make judgements about how other people ruined lives.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Um, I thought it was clear, but I'm describing Ueno's thought process, not saying that Shouko actually did something wrong.

Seriously, she's a pretty awful, self-centered person who cannot even consider the attitude of someone else, but she's not some sort of horrible scum because of this. Her response is pretty typical of a teenage girl with a cruel streak.

Kids are assholes.

quote:

Honestly the most despicable character in the series so far was the elementary school teacher not only because he turned a blind eye but because he actively joined in at points in laughing at Shouko and treating her as even more of a burden than the kids were.

Now this guy was scum. Using his position as a role model to institutionalize bullying? Given tacit approval to Shouya when he was mean to Shouko and then blaming him for his own bullying? Jesus christ what a complete failure of a teacher.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 3, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Um, I thought it was clear, but I'm describing Ueno's thought process, not saying that Shouko actually did something wrong.

Seriously, she's a pretty awful, self-centered person who cannot even consider the attitude of someone else, but she's not some sort of horrible scum because of this. Her response is pretty typical of a teenage girl with a cruel streak.

Kids are assholes.

Now this guy was scum. Using his position as a role model to institutionalize bullying? Given tacit approval to Shouya when he was mean to Shouko and then blaming him for his own bullying? Jesus christ what a complete failure of a teacher.

Yeah her attitude is pretty realistic which is why it hits harder than your typical antagonist nebulous thought process.

And yeah gently caress that teacher seriously. Terrible

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Between this, GTO and Assasination Classroom, the Japanese education system seems to be really hosed up.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Between this, GTO and Assasination Classroom, the Japanese education system seems to be really hosed up.

Japanese schools don't actually hire octopuses who can destroy the planet. Hope that helps.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

vkeios posted:

Japanese schools don't actually hire octopuses who can destroy the planet. Hope that helps.

I was thinking about the fact all of these mangas depict than in japanese schools only aspects and results matters. That if you can't deliver the expected results in the timeframe expected they can and will left you behind.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I was thinking about the fact all of these mangas depict than in japanese schools only aspects and results matters. That if you can't deliver the expected results in the timeframe expected they can and will left you behind.

it's more you're completely railroaded starting from elementary school via entrance exams. gently caress up on the middle school exam and you're probably not ever going to get back on the top tier advancement line, which locks you out of best highschools, colleges, and jobs.

Also their methods of teaching are completely horrible but Japan sure as hell doesn't own that :911:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Unfortunately that seems to be a really common thing with ijime: it often becomes one person singled out by the entire class with the teacher going along with it because to do otherwise would disrupt things even more.

http://thisjapaneselife.org/2013/06/12/japan-ijime-bullies/

quote:

Teachers often don’t have the training – or the time – to spend on educating the perpetrators and victims of bullying. A Mainichi Shimbun survey found that 70 percent of teachers would like to do more to prevent bullying but simply don’t have time, being responsible for covering smaller staff sizes, more surveys and paperwork, class prep and other job-related stresses.

Teachers are wary of losing control of a classroom. The promotion mechanism to principal evaluates this skill, so teachers are hesitant to report bullying. While they may not be cynically ignoring the problem, I think this encourages teachers to build up a defense of the behavior: That it is “all in good fun.” When teachers aren’t skilled at managing a class, this is an easier default position than intervening in a class where respect is already at a minimum. So they go along with the joke.

Author Fujiwara Tomomi writes,

“When a homeroom teacher cannot be the pivot of the class, the atmosphere of the class becomes permanently unstable. Such a class is in need of a clown. The model to follow can be found in variety-shows in television, which revolve around a clown – the bullied – who is constantly laughed at each time s/he screams at being poked and pushed. The class follows the same power dynamics. To ‘read the vibes’ means to grasp instantaneously the role to be played by each individual, to select a victim, and to direct the whole scene. The skill to operate ‘vibes’ can be regarded as a ‘petit-fascism’ in contemporary society. Some teachers have fallen into using this technique as it is an easy way to manage a class. Thus bullying has become a method.”

The structure of education in Japan – with its group emphasis, large classrooms, and uniformity – fosters a culture of beating down outlying members. Researcher Takashi Naito calls Japan’s schools “untouchable communities” of students:

“In an environment where students are forced to spend almost all their time together, they live under their own set of rules that aren’t always acceptable in society,” he says. “Students are forced to follow the pack, to think the way everyone else is thinking.”

Students won’t defend a victim, and may join in to keep attention away from themselves. Students follow the consensus and if the consensus is “say nothing” then kids either become reluctant bystanders or an amused audience. “Audiences” and “Bystanders” are the social witnesses that make the victim feel isolated and alone. They amplify the demeaning nature of the attacks, even bystanders who don’t join in.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Have any of you read A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki? It deals with similar issues and there's some explanation of how comprehensive ijime can be.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Chapter 28

In which Ishida finally declares his love for bread.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I guess the fact that the thing between Ueno and Shouko is firmly between them and Shouya and Yuzuru know better than to interfere. Shouko's growing up after all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god, Shouya and Shouko are so CUTE :swoon:

And Ueno once again left me :psyduck: am I insane by thinking than she kind of had a point there?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I just imagine the way their conversations go, with all the hand gesturing and intense eye glaring.

THIS BREAD IS CUTE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I like how one chapter is one of the biggest "oh holy poo poo" moments, then the next is fairly funny given that Shouya is not only spilling spaghetti everywhere but he's pretty much rolling around in it. Especially with Sahara and Yuzuru's "yeah, let's just go over there..." look.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh my god, Shouya and Shouko are so CUTE :swoon:

And Ueno once again left me :psyduck: am I insane by thinking than she kind of had a point there?

She has a point, it's just that she goes about it like a pretty lovely person.

• Locked thread