Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang

Refresh: 2/2

High Concept: Nontraditional Traditional Medicine Practitioner

Invoke: Be a doctor, discover new treatments, buck tradition, create medicine
Compel: Get scoffed at by other scholars, have his new treatments backfire or fail, medicine has curious side effects

Trouble: "I'll Show You How Good I Am!"

Invoke: be driven to succeed or prove his worth, push himself farther then he can handle, succeed magnificently
Compel: be driven to succeed or prove his worth, take anything/everything as a challenge, get into arguments easily, fail spectacularly

Aspect: Soft Face, Soft Heart

Invoke: be seen as non-threatening, be underestimated, be attractive
Compel: Not be taken seriously, not being seen as "manly," hold back when fighting

Aspect: "Overabundance of Yang"

Invoke: Flirt, defend women
Compel: Be taken advantage of, leap into trouble for ladies, always be a dope

Aspect: Student of the Storm-Eyed Sifu

Invoke: Fight defensively, perform grand acrobatics, focus chi, have an odd affinity with water and rain
Compel: Never make the first attack, get no respect for such a no-name sifu, be called on for errands, get rained on all the goddamn time

Background
When Zhang was young, his entire village fell to illness and fever. Learning all he could from those in his village, Zhang began visiting other villages, and even a nearby city, accumulating all information he could, before returning and curing both village and family of the illness. Now a wandering practitioner of medicine, Zhang has a lot of funny ideas. Ideas about pressure points, exercise, acupuncture and even Chi treatments. Once a simple traveling scholar, Zhang came across a mountainous village, nearest the mountains where a dragon was said to live. The village itself was afflicted with a fierce fever, and being tended to by a lone masculine woman with peculiar grey eyes. Seeing an opportunity both to help and to test his methods, Zhang joined her in treating the village; as reward, the woman, who called herself Storm-Eyed, took him in as sifu. Now, to help and heal those who need it, to prove his unorthodox methods to the world and his fighting power to his sifu, and to simply travel the land and learn all that he can, he travels Jiangzhou to practice both. If this means meeting many pretty girls, well, certainly that's just fate speaking.

Skills
+4: Lore
+3: Fight, Chi
+2: Investigation, Rapport, Athletics
+1: Physique, Will, Notice, Empathy

Stress
Physical: [][][][]
Mental: [][][]

Storm Phoenix
Storm Rumbles in Distance: Move at least 1 zone or select a target that just moved into your zone as part of their last action. Make a Fight or Athletics roll to create an advantage on that target. Gain a +2 bonus to this roll.
Phoenix Calls to Heaven: Use Chi instead of Physique to determine extra stress boxes and consequences. This is in addition to the Armor bonus from having high Chi. If Chi and Physique are the same rating, you may instead reduce physical stress taken by 2 shifts once per session.
Phoenix Beats its Wings: If you succeed on a Defend roll with style, you may gain an Off Balance advantage on the target with a free invocation instead of a bonus.

Stunts
It's All Anatomy, Really: Use Lore instead of Notice or Investigation when dealing with injuries, illnesses, poisons, or other maladies.
Beautiful: When Zhang enters a scene, he may place an aspect on an NPC in that scene. He may place either Infatuation or Jealousy with one free invoke on that NPC, or may add a free invoke to either of those aspects if he has placed that aspect on the NPC before. He cannot use this stunt on an NPC who has overcome the aspect
Chi Flowing as Rain: Training from the Storm-Eyed Sifu has had a deeper influence then Zhang realizes. When Zhang succeeds with style while using Chi, instead of a boost, he can place Chi Flowing as Rain with three free invocations - two for allies, and one for the enemies. It also begins to drizzle, if it's not already raining.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Organization: The Imperial Courts
Grown corrupt and decadent in recent times, the Imperial Courts have begin drooling at the thought of controlling the new heir. Magistrates from across the land have begun pushing for their own individual power even as the people they serve fall into hardships. Reently, the courts have begun growing more cruel, with increased taxes and levies placed on even the most poor, and small bands of imperial servants flexing newfound legal muscles to take what they desire. Their ambition seemingly knows no bounds, with some even attempting to push for power over The Iron-Clad Bureau.

Aspects:Technically Legal; The Price of Decadence; Political Strife; Law of the Land; Ambition is a Virtue

Face: Clear Skies
The legendary official Clear Skies is maybe one of the most physically hideous people alive. He is also the most honest, upright, and incorruptible man the government has ever seen. Before the Emperor's death, he had been given full power over all matters of the law - and he uses it judiciously. Clear Skies by technical legal rights could sentence even the emperor's heir to be beaten (though of course a substitute would be found). Clear Skies has made a name for himself for hsi naked hatred of corrpution, and much of the court has begun uniting against him. As beloved in the countryside as he is hated in civilized areas, he is well aware of the downsides of his reputation, especially in these dark times, and travels with a group of handpicked bodyguards known for their loyalty.

Aspects:Corruption's Nemesis; As Ugly As It Gets; "I AM The Law;" Hero of the People; Band of Righteous Servants

Face: Minister Chen Pang
One of the leading voices of the courts and - unknown to most - the real power behind most of it's recent cruelties. With his daughter in place as an imperial concubine, he has become nearly untouchable - not that he plans on needing that shield. Minister Chen Pang rarely touches on things personally and instead makes use of others to fulfill his desires. As he uses others to champion increasingly horrible laws, he keeps his eyes on the true prize: the heir.

Aspects:Unironically Villainous; Politically Untouchable; Always Keeps the Glove On; The Mastermind's Daughter; Hands on the Heir

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Zhang's views on his companions!
Vivacious Yue - I would love to get along with such a charming and beautiful girl, but she doesn't seem to enjoy my presence. Perhaps because I know she has a secret? But I do not know what it is! And she should not know that I know...but no bother. My charm will turn her in time, I am sure.
Shu Li - One of the Emperor's dogs. He walks as a man burdened; perhaps this is why he is so inflexible. He has an odd adoration for the outdoors. In other words, he and I have starkly little in common. Come to think of it, his style is also perhaps the clear opposite of mine. I'm sure sifu is laughing right now.
Xu Lei - An honest man who is used to honest work. I knew many such men in the village before I began my travels. I believe he travels to prove himself to his sifu; what a familiar tale! I doubt his sifu is as interesting as mine, but then, that is well suited to a man with such ordinary beginnings. Ordinary beginnings need not beget ordinary people.
Zhu Qiang - We are taught to respect our elders and follow their instructions. We are taught the importance of tradition. My practices spurn much of this tradition. I will respect the man, but he better not try to order me. I have proven too many wise old sages wrong.
Centipede Hong - He is dangerous. He is dangerous and I do not trust him. I fear for the day where I must mend the wounds he makes, for such poisonous claws will not release their grasp willingly.

Rival:
Moon Yoon-Ah

I do not know much about Moon; I've never met him myself, merely come across his "work." He is by all accounts a truly twisted man. Though he dresses as the Daoists, nothing in him is holy or pure. Every time I've come across a village he has stayed at, he has left behind horrors. A terrifying fever. An illness that robs men of their thoughts and makes them into slavering beasts no better then sick dogs. Experiments in ki that left the villages listless and empty inside. Worse, from what others have told me, he takes exceptional pride in his actions, declaring himself a man of knowledge and boasting of his genius, all while wearing the guise of innocence. Disturbingly, the last village I visited that had been "touched" by his actions recognized me before I entered; he apparently knows of me now, yet by what I was told, seems to believe I follow him as a student eager to learn from him.

The only other thing I know is that one other was mentioned as hunting him; an master of fighting, who looks young, but speaks and dresses as a man from a long past era. They did not know his name, but they knew his style, and it is too similar to my own sifu's to discredit.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 18, 2014

• Locked thread